The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog Taurus 3... a real photo Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Moog Taurus 3... a real photo

Moog Taurus 3...

edit: The back is VERY ugly IMO...
Old 21st November 2009
haha it's got the same buttons as the little phatty!
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

If "foot wheels" are made of rubber, they won't last not even 1 year! The delicate (feet/dust unfriendly) interface should have been hidden like on Moog Taurus 1.

Its still very expensive for a bass pedal with a limited synth engine.

How many people are going to buy this? How many musicians really need something like this?

...and the most important question: How many of the buyers are actually going to trigger and control this $2000 machine with their shoes? Was it really important to make it with this classic (and somehow luxurious) pedal controller?

I consider this mostly like a collector's item...

@ customers who have pre-order it: Tell us your thoughts about it..
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post

How many people are going to buy this? How many musicians really need something like this?
It looks like it would be fun to have, but I agree. I wish Moog would quit building guitars, and focus on putting out a nice polyphonic Moog.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
haha it's got the same buttons as the little phatty!
I really like these buttons! They are funky!
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

How many people are going to buy this?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I like it.
I'll buy it.
For fun
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
I really like these buttons! They are funky!
yeah funky, but some of the ones on my LP are giving me problems

i gotta them sometimes haha

i should get me some compressed air and see if that helps
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
yeah funky, but some of the ones on my LP are giving me problems

i gotta them sometimes haha

i should get me some compressed air and see if that helps
Dust is our enemy!!!
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I wish Moog would quit building guitars, and focus on putting out a nice polyphonic Moog.
i totally agree.. lets get back to making synths. how about a juicy moog sequencer or a delicious polymoog. taurus looks cool, but WAY out of my price range for what it does.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolkboy View Post
A 1000 "limited" model run is just a test...if they receive good reactions from people, they probably going to make a "cheaper" version which would sell to the "masses" like they did with all of their synths.

Generally speaking, "limited editions" in most products, is always a trick to gain more people's attention.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

LOL

(I wish Moog good luck though...)
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

One thing I think about a bit right now is how there are so very few instruments in the digital "revolution". As a real-card-carrying musician who has played/owned a gretsch drum set/a Gibson Les Paul/a B3 and a steinway I think that a real instrument is worth something. When I look for a new piece of gear I am looking for something to grow old with and to master, not another maudio piece of crap with action that will wear out after a year, with no serviceability, with no product support etc.

Yes, you can certainly make some great, ripping music with a laptop and a duet and a cheap controller. It is possible. The ubiquity of digital technology brings access to everyone with the cost of quality of experience. It is the same with phones going digital, television going digital over the air blah blah blah.

If you are a real musician there is another way, you can get a great instrument built by a master and master the instrument.

Crap. I sound old. I would probably like the Taurus except for the fact that I am still from to new of a generation to have much real foot pedal bass practice, although the B3, with it's funky beautiful oil filled spring tubes is a bass dinosaur of prodigious monstertude.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
A 1000 "limited" model run is just a test...if they receive good reactions from people, they probably going to make a "cheaper" version which would sell to the "masses" like they did with all of their synths.

Generally speaking, "limited editions" in most products, is always a trick to gain more people's attention.

i seriously doubt they are even going to sell 1000 of these at all. very limited market for these, and the worst part is anyone in that market will just buy the orginal taurus 1 pedals at that price.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
i seriously doubt they are even going to sell 1000 of these at all. very limited market for these, and the worst part is anyone in that market will just buy the orginal taurus 1 pedals at that price.
Didn't they take 1000 preorders?(Edit* nope, 250ish) And the original Taurus pedals are over 3k last time I checked..
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

i'm not waiting for anything from these fools. the market for analog re-issues with 24 DB ladder filters is already over saturated. they need to make something different not a me too re-issue. so what if it says moog on it, bob's dead now so it doesn't matter what company you buy from the original guy who came up with the 24 DB ladder filter is gone and aint getting a cent so it doesn't matter. i actually prefer a mopho or tetra to all the moog re-issue crap. at least it's different in sound characteristics and has a different filter.

what would be really cool is something along the lines of the ms-20 or yamaha cs series dual filter analogs.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Nut

Ah I see, you don't want them to remake old moogs anymore, but rather old korgs and yamaha's Haha... the Taurus pedals do not interest me, but Im loving the MP201.. not into key synths myself so..
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DntBelievtheHype View Post
Didn't they take 1000 preorders?(Edit* nope, 250) And the original Taurus pedals are over 3k last time I checked..
check again they go up and down from $2500 to a little over 3k, depending on what month it is. sometimes they dip to just barely over 2k. the taurus pedals have a very limited following, new re-issue pedals without the collector status aren't going to sell very well at all. geddy lee and jarre will get a set and the dorks who want to be those 2 guys will as well and that's about it.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DntBelievtheHype View Post
Ah I see, you don't want them to remake old moogs anymore, but rather old korgs and yamaha's Haha... the Taurus pedals do not interest me, but Im loving the MP201.. not into key synths myself so..
no i don't particularly want them to do a korg or yamaha just anybody to do one.

from them i want to see something new, not a crippled prodigy with patch storage and a stupid mini clone that doesn't sound like a mini to those that want it or one of their lowest selling items in history. i want them to get off their asses and make something new not re-do a half-assed version of something from the moog museum.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Hey, you bunch of haters. I bought one. And, I can't wait to get it.

The selling point for me was the MIDI. I don't have to use the foot controller. But, its fun to have for art rock jam/recording.

Why don't you all just go piddle with your software synths and quit dissing the new old school? I think it looks great.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Have fun with it Darkwater! It surely is something that deserves admiration but its very specialized and pricey, so not everyone likes it.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

wow.. it's only $2000. whats everybody whining about the price for?

if you're into electronic music gear for a while you're bound to end up owning at least a couple of things costing that much, or more. And even if you go for having heaps of cheap things instead, $2000 will still be way less than the value of your studio

I think it's cool and different from anything everyone else is making right now, and good luck to the people who are getting one - I'm sure they'll be heaps of fun to play.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post
wow.. it's only $2000. whats everybody whining about the price for?

if you're into electronic music gear for a while you're bound to end up owning at least a couple of things costing that much, or more. And even if you go for having heaps of cheap things instead, $2000 will still be way less than the value of your studio
It mostly matters what you get for what you pay...your analogy hasn't got a logical base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post
I think it's cool and different from anything everyone else is making right now, and good luck to the people who are getting one - I'm sure they'll be heaps of fun to play.
I agree that its cool but, where is the difference in reinventing the wheel when most of the people can fly? Ok, there is a difference, but not with the meaning of progress...

As for the people like Darkwater who say "it has midi, so i don't have to use the foot controller"...What is the big deal with that? You pay $2000 for luxurious pedals and you want to use it with another controller?? So, you spend so much money for an ultra basic "synth rack" made by Moog?

Anyway, many musicians feel better when they use instruments like this, and this "feeling" leads them to have fun and make nice music, so, for psychological reasons, some people will like products like a Taurus 3.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

i'll buy them
they build high quality stuff
that lasts

i would love a polyphonic version of the
voyager.

i do find the $6000 guitar
really absurd

be well

- jack
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom View Post
i do find the $6000 guitar
really absurd
'twas a limited edition... the production model is about $3k. Still not cheap, but not absurd, either.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
It mostly matters what you get for what you pay...your analogy hasn't got a logical base.
if it nails the sound of the original taurus, and that sound is something you want then you most definitely do get what you pay for. A classic synth that does one thing really well.

....even if you were to only ever play it via MIDI. (though that's kinda missing the point of it IMO, but of that makes someone happy then good on them)
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post

from them i want to see something new, not a crippled prodigy with patch storage and a stupid mini clone that doesn't sound like a mini to those that want it or one of their lowest selling items in history. i want them to get off their asses and make something new not re-do a half-assed version of something from the moog museum.
someone needs a hug
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
If "foot wheels" are made of rubber, they won't last not even 1 year! The delicate (feet/dust unfriendly) interface should have been hidden like on Moog Taurus 1.
This aspect will be OK, I think. Only the Value knob has any real risk of dust contamination... the rubber panel buttons are a solid switch mat to seal out dust, and the foot wheels use optical sensing. They are definitely not delicate...
Old 22nd November 2009
PTB
Lives for gear

I think it looks solid. I wouldn't play those pedals with my feet but I could see them as fun to tap with my hands.

I never heard the original Taurus so I'm anxious to hear it.

It looks very streamlined. Stripped to the basics, arp is cool and I'm sure it goes deep down on the lowwww end.

I would have no problem paying the 2k for it but my only concern is flexibility of sound. It has four presets and I know you can tweak away but it might limit you in the variety of just how far you can push a taurus bass.

Just a general statement I could be totally wrong.

PS - Anyone with negative feedback is straight hating because it isn't even out yet.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Only 2K? Seems like a deal to me. Wish I had the money to pre order one. Maybe I'll try to pick up one once the first batch is out and they hit the resale market.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search