The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Russian tape delay help
Old 20th November 2009
  #1
Russian tape delay help

Hi,

Has anybody come across this analogue tape delay unit? I bought it on eBay a few years back and recently fixed it.

RUSSIAN TAPE DELAY (FRONT)
RUSSIAN TAPE DELAY (TOP)
RUSSIAN TAPE DELAY (MIC INPUT)
RUSSIAN TAPE DELAY (LINE INPUT)

Also, if anyone can translate the Cyrillic words in the front panel I would really appreciate. I can guess most of them out of the effect they produce but I'm curious about the exact translation.

Finally, does anyone know a vintage gear or delay guru in the London area?

Thanks!

Angel
Old 20th November 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 

SovietSpaceChild to the rescue!

The knobs on the leftmost panel, in clockwise order, read:

"Reverb", "Echo", "ORG", and "G". The switch on the leftmost panel reads "pedal".

The top row of words on the centermost panel reads "depth", "vibrato", and "cutoff" (really it says 'chast.', but that's probably short for 'chastota'".

The right most panel, in clockwise order, says "reverb", "echo", "M1", and "M2". The switch says "Power".
Old 20th November 2009
  #3
regardless how it sounds, that is one wicked looking piece of gear.

thumbsup
Old 20th November 2009
  #4
Here for the gear
 
dylankf's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
SovietSpaceChild to the rescue!

The knobs on the leftmost panel, in clockwise order, read:

"Reverb", "Echo", "ORG", and "G". The switch on the leftmost panel reads "pedal".

The top row of words on the centermost panel reads "depth", "vibrato", and "cutoff" (really it says 'chast.', but that's probably short for 'chastota'".

The right most panel, in clockwise order, says "reverb", "echo", "M1", and "M2". The switch says "Power".

You beat me to it, I can read rusian too!
Old 20th November 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylankf View Post
You beat me to it, I can read rusian too!
IN SOVIET RUSSIA, RUSSIAN READS YOU!!!
Old 20th November 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 

Looks awesome...
Old 21st November 2009
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelo_papas View Post
Finally, does anyone know a vintage gear or delay guru in the London area?
As far as I can remember (I'm not from London) there is a vintage guitar shop in Denmark Street - it's the last house on the left I think. They always have tape delays for sale, new and vintage ones. I bet they can help you.

Something in the design of your unit reminds me of the old Echolette tape delays. But I'm not a tape delay specialist; the Echolette is just the one I own...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 21st November 2009
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
SovietSpaceChild to the rescue!

The knobs on the leftmost panel, in clockwise order, read:

"Reverb", "Echo", "ORG", and "G". The switch on the leftmost panel reads "pedal".

The top row of words on the centermost panel reads "depth", "vibrato", and "cutoff" (really it says 'chast.', but that's probably short for 'chastota'".

The right most panel, in clockwise order, says "reverb", "echo", "M1", and "M2". The switch says "Power".
thumbsup
haha! thanks spacechild!

i've been told in the harmony central forum that the CHAST function could be REPETITIONS. cutoff makes more sense to me, what do you think?

apparently its an Esko-100
Museum of Soviet synthesizers.
also check this one for another finish, a beauty
Esko

can you tell me what it says in the microphone pannel with the exclamations. i'm guessing something with power...
RUSSIAN TAPE DELAY (MIC INPUT) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 21st November 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelo_papas View Post
thumbsup
haha! thanks spacechild!

i've been told in the harmony central forum that the CHAST function could be REPETITIONS. cutoff makes more sense to me, what do you think?

apparently its an Esko-100
Museum of Soviet synthesizers.
also check this one for another finish, a beauty
Esko

can you tell me what it says in the microphone pannel with the exclamations. i'm guessing something with power...
RUSSIAN TAPE DELAY (MIC INPUT) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
No problem! The reason why I think it says cutoff is because of the Harvestman's Polivoks Filter module. The cutoff knob on that module says "Chastota Sreza", which means frequency cutoff. I guess it could also mean frequency in terms of how often the tape repeats.

The literal translation of the back panel is:

'Warning!
Dangerous power level!
It is forbidden to plug in
to power with taken off lid."

Basically don't run the thing while the lid is off thumbsup
Old 21st November 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
SovietSpaceChild to the rescue!

The knobs on the leftmost panel, in clockwise order, read:

"Reverb", "Echo", "ORG", and "G". The switch on the leftmost panel reads "pedal".

The top row of words on the centermost panel reads "depth", "vibrato", and "cutoff" (really it says 'chast.', but that's probably short for 'chastota'".

The right most panel, in clockwise order, says "reverb", "echo", "M1", and "M2". The switch says "Power".
I validate correctness of SovietSpaceChild translation
Old 22nd November 2009
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
As far as I can remember (I'm not from London) there is a vintage guitar shop in Denmark Street - it's the last house on the left I think. They always have tape delays for sale, new and vintage ones. I bet they can help you.

Something in the design of your unit reminds me of the old Echolette tape delays. But I'm not a tape delay specialist; the Echolette is just the one I own...

Cheers,
Bert
hey Bert, thanks
I went to that shop I think.. there's a guy that fixes vintage units on the last floor, or maybe the one you say is another one, there are quite a few in that street..
Old 13th June 2014
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Hi guys, I just got my hands on a ESKO-100. It has no tape in it. Anyone know what kind of tape I need to get to put in?

Also, anyone know where I can find the foot pedal for it?

Attached are some pics

Pedal: https://www.facebook.com/SovietSynth...type=3&theater

Inside of Unit: https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...46329471_o.jpg
Old 13th June 2014
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
Hi guys, I just got my hands on a ESKO-100. It has no tape in it. Anyone know what kind of tape I need to get to put in?

Also, anyone know where I can find the foot pedal for it?

Attached are some pics

Pedal: https://www.facebook.com/SovietSynth...type=3&theater

Inside of Unit: https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...46329471_o.jpg

Oh well... Congratulations on getting the monstrous ESKO-100! yours have the head covers removed so it's good for you. Makes tape replacement much easier... no idea about the pedal though.

As for the tape I used a Maxell 35-180 (the only one I have at my disposal) i think the loop itself was like 60cm long... but be sure to make a really strong splice! I mean it! really really strong.
My ESKO would rip my splices after like 10 minutes of use... terrible monster... just terrible...))

I don't think it needs a particular tape like Space Echoes do. It's soviet and that means it can survive an atomic blast.
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear