The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Channel Strip for Electroinc Muisc
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Best Channel Strip for Electroinc Muisc

I have really come to a brick wall, on deciding on my next plug in purchase.

I want to buy a channel strip but cant decide. I have tested them all and like them all.

I wanted to see if anyone out here who produced, Electronic (House, Progressive Music) uses any channel strip

Im on Logic 8 on PPC G5. I do have a 2 UAD 1 cards

Im trying to decide on
UAD 4k Channel Strip - I hear its buggy on UAD 1 and better to upgrade to UAD 2. But Im not buying a new Mac right now
UAD Neve 88rs
Metric Halo Channel Strip

URS Channel Strip

SSL E Channel

Any suggestions. Im leaning more towards Metric Halo. But still not sure since I seem to like them all.

Would love to hear what your thoughts are.

Last edited by gusegruv; 18th November 2009 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Not on the list but have you tried URS Channel Strip Pro?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Yea that's what I meant
URS Channel Strip Pro. That one seems to have a nice thick sound to it.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Hi

Have you demoed the Neve 88rs ?
I'm using it a lot on many sources and I think it's great.
So if you haven't used your demo period with this plugin, give it a go.
I specially like the EQ with basses.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

unless you're a guy who's into "certain companies" or brands, or nice GUI's with a famous logo on it,
do yourself a favour and get this thing here:

MixControl : TeamDNR Collaborative Design

(they are working on new interfaces. i think even offer several for download soon...on some thread here on GS)

you'll be happy. it's just another digital EQ etc. (so are the UAD, waves, URS) if you need some color
(as those "seem" to have) or nastyness, put a saturator before or after the strip and you're fine!

i'm demoing that thing and it's great!! + offers even more than the suggested ones!
(a really smoothEQ, Comp w/SC, Gate w/ SC, 3Band Stereo Widener, Limiter, great meters, VERY low on CPU..)

not to mention it's a 1/3 of the price!

my 2 ¢
Old 18th November 2009
ive got a crap load of UAD plugs, i too wanted to have a channel strip so i demoed the UAD ones. Yea, they seem great but i found that as i already had several EQ's and a ton of compressors, the strips were redundant so i didn't get one.

have you thought about a hardware strip? Like a true slut would?heh
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

haha! only in this forum could a thread about channel strips actually be a thread about software.

Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post
haha! only in this forum could a thread about channel strips actually be a thread about software.

I have the UAD channel strip 88RS, which sounds nice and the gui is nice :D, but I find myself using Sonnox EQ, the Cubase EQ (!) plus Sonalksis compressor (applicable to nearly every source) for 99% of the cases. To me this channel strip thing seems quite an "artificial workflow".

I should start to use the 88RS again, just for the reason that you don't SEE the EQ curves, you just focus on what you actually hear. The 88 RS compressor is limited.

"unless you're a guy who's into "certain companies" or brands, or nice GUI's with a famous logo on it,
do yourself a favour and get this thing here:

MixControl : TeamDNR Collaborative Design

"

uh what an ugly GUI, how do you want to control those little knobs with your mouse?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

My money would be on Nebula + MPressor plugin.

I know you are on a mac, but I think it's up and
running now.

Use the plug Miro pointed out for cutting... Nebula
occasionally for boosting.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Why do u want a channel strip specifically ?
Lots of options when you pair different comps and eqs, eventually you will know exactly what signal chain you prefer on different tracks.

just my 2 cents! best of luck.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I picked up a UAD2 card right when they were giving away a free 4K channel strip plugin for new users. It's not buggy at all. For years I've relied on my Sonalksis & Sonnox plugins and I still do throw those on fairly regularly but I'm using the 4k as my "default" plugin and on well recorded tracks it's commonly all I need. "Well recorded" meaning the track doesn't have a lot of sonic issues to resolve and it pretty much sounds the way the producer wants it to. In these cases I really like having a very familiar plugin that's already instantiated on every track and easy to use. Filters, a touch of EQ or gating, maybe a dab of compression, done. It really improves my productivity to just have a versatile tool on insert 5 of each track. If I want an "effect" or need to solve extreme problems then I usually go to other plugs or external gear.

p.s. I like the layout of the 4k so much I'm even modeling my homemade midi controller after it.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Channel Strip for Electroinc Muisc-4k-controller.jpg  
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut
i use either the waves ssl channel strip, uad 1176 or the sonnox for envelope manpulation.

waves or urs eqs for color. waves Q for notching out stuff.

for buss compression i use sonnox or uad.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post

p.s. I like the layout of the 4k so much I'm even modeling my homemade midi controller after it.

Hey, nice! More info about that, please. Go ahead and brag a bit!
Old 21st November 2009
do you like mixcontrol now? heh

Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
do you like mixcontrol now? heh

everyone keeps talking about this , i tried it out, sounds very clean and true to the original sound.

not sure if its what im looking for but A+ for sound quality.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

UAD4k, it's got a nice expander on it!

Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
Hey, nice! More info about that, please. Go ahead and brag a bit!
I'm trying to hold off on the bragging until I get it done but I'm having so much fun building it that I can't get it done. Put it together, take it apart, rinse, repeat.

I promise to have it soldered, painted and working in time to make a YouTube video come Christmas time. heh
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

What a liar I am...

Well... it was actually functional by Christmas but I've had to spend a surprising amount of time to make it as pretty as I wanted.

Now it's pretty and passably functional but I'm digging into some fancy programming of Bome's Midi Translator in order to make it really slick. I've got buttons for selecting tracks (which double as mute and solo switches) as well as dedicated buttons for selecting individual insert slots. The parameter mapping for the UAD 4k channel strip is complete but I want to map a few more of my favorite plugins including Bootsy's new NastyVCS.

I won't make the same mistake of promising a YouTube release date but I will get there eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Channel Strip for Electroinc Muisc-4k_controller.jpg  
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well... it was actually functional by Christmas but I've had to spend a surprising amount of time to make it as pretty as I wanted.

Now it's pretty and passably functional but I'm digging into some fancy programming of Bome's Midi Translator in order to make it really slick. I've got buttons for selecting tracks (which double as mute and solo switches) as well as dedicated buttons for selecting individual insert slots. The parameter mapping for the UAD 4k channel strip is complete but I want to map a few more of my favorite plugins including Bootsy's new NastyVCS.

I won't make the same mistake of promising a YouTube release date but I will get there eventually.
*drool*
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSc2 View Post
*drool*
It really is fun to use and getting better all the time as I fine tune the software but of course I'm getting spoiled. I used to be able to mix ITB with nothing but a mouse but now if I don't have my AlphaTrack, my Griffon PowerMate and my custom controller box I feel totally handicapped (i.e. when I'm on the road with nothing but my MacBook).
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusegruv View Post
UAD 4k Channel Strip - I hear its buggy on UAD 1 and better to upgrade to UAD 2. But Im not buying a new Mac right now
UAD Neve 88rs
Metric Halo Channel Strip
URS Channel Strip
SSL E Channel

from that list i'd say it's hard to go wrong! i've only used the URS and the MH but both were top notch, it would be entirely situational what would make me ever choose the one over the other. have never heard a bad thing about the ssl emulation... havent really heard much negative feedback about any UAD plug, tbh... yea, i dont think you'll lament your decision amongst that lot one way or the other
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
*controller pic*
this thing looks hot as ****.

first company to make a dedicated channel strip - esque controller like that one that is plug and play with the UAD stuff will have a potential hit on their hands. **** the focusrite liquidmix, i'd rather use the UAD stuff anyway.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldcrunk View Post
first company to make a dedicated channel strip - esque controller like that one that is plug and play with the UAD stuff will have a potential hit on their hands. **** the focusrite liquidmix, i'd rather use the UAD stuff anyway.

The trick will be to make it cost effective. Good feeling knobs and buttons are expensive and it will be a hard sell to get people to spend as much money on one box of knobs as they could spend on a giant bundle of plugins. <shrug> The other challenge is of course creating a form factor that it applicable to a variety of plugins and DAWs.

Someday there will be a company that allows you to design your own hardware controller online and they will one off fab it and mail it to you. How cool will that be!
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Nut

once a larger company gets their hands on a product like that, i think there would be too many compromises.

i like yours, sparquee because it looks like you're using real pots - or if you are using encoders, they're at least pretending to be pots. i imagine a nice high res encoder would be fine, but i have yet to find such an encoder. big sturdy greasy feeling slow turning alpha pots would be much preferred.

also it's real specific. i dig that. if a company took something like your box and started adding 'interface generalities' as i call them - like, i dont know encoder rings, little lcds to remind you of the parameter you're controlling - all in an effort to make it useful with more than one or two plugins - it would lose much of its luster, to me.

okay i'll stop dick riding your controllerbox now, but again great work.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Golden Beers has it right. A hardware strip or.... 2 for stereo.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

I'd say look for an old crusty 6 - 8 channel analog mixer. This will give you a different e.q., preamp, and a different audip path in general. What alot of electronic music is missing to my ears is that subtle hiss or sound of a humming piece of electronics in the song. After stacking a few sounds and tracks, you don't hear the noise really but without it the mix is missing "something".

Can't help but think a digital synth woud sound beautiful being run DI through somehthing like this.

or a stripped down smaller version like this:

Old 10th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusegruv View Post
I have really come to a brick wall, on deciding on my next plug in purchase. I want to buy a channel strip but cant decide.
Massive Passive tones shaping, boost cutting / bandwidth - frequency..etc.. EQ tuner.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Here it is. This is the mixer I've been looking for years to find in good shape.

Isn't she a beaut? !
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Hmmmm..... taking old mixers and transmogrifying them into DAW control surfaces. Hmmm..... that's an interesting idea.

Selling people on pots vs. endless encoders would be a challenge. I don't know how many ITB mixers would settle for just 8 channels and channel "bank jumping" with pots in the strip would lead to parameter values jumping when you move a knob (or the knob "topping out" at less than max value). Still... building the box and dealing with the "physical form factor" was the most time consuming part of this project. The idea of gutting an old board and reusing most of the parts is intriguing.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

i have the same set up mac g5 uad logic...and use a hardware ssl alpha channel..works beautiful
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear