The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's with the 80's love anyway?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

What's with the 80's love anyway?

What's the deal with all the 80's music love lately?
I see so many posts claiming so and so has great new music and then I listen and feel like I've heard this boring simple crap before.

I completely understand the whole aspect of music styles going thru cycles. Every 30 years or so music from 3 decades ago gets popular again. Truly a statement that so few people can come up with original sounding material.

I also get that many of you were probably born in the mid to late 80's and that's fine. I just dont get what is possibly unique or inspiring about alot of this 80's sounding crap that people find so great. It's boring, simple and played out imho but hey.....im into weird music so whatever, just felt like venting.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

thats the beauty of art.. its the most subjective crap the human has ever created. once in a while you'll have more than 3 people agreeing that something is cooler than something else, and boom you have a scene... doesnt mean it wasnt complete toss to begin with though
Old 18th November 2009

I think 80s music is actually becoming sort of a new sub genre. Punk, metal, jazz, blues, all have "old" schools and "nu" schools. Like some bands do the old style punk or jazz. Some the newer hipper stuff. Now it's the same with pop and rock.
La Roux and Ladyhawke come to mind.

Some of use grew up in the 80s and it's a nostalgia trip. Others grew up with parents watching VH1. So that may be where some of the new generation is getting it. Plus video games like Grand Theft Auto have really pushed 80s music.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

There's a lot of cheesy simple 80s music. Most of the modern 80s inspired stuff isn't that great. Haven't heard really any modern 80s sound good. Actual 80s music always had really good progressions, that's what was the draw to lot of music from back then. Today's 80s inspired stuff sounds like it's trying too hard to have an 80s feel, and most never captures it. A lot of great music came out of the 80s. Actually it's my favorite decade for music, mainly because I'm a synth nerd.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-String View Post
I think 80s music is actually becoming sort of a new sub genre. Punk, metal, jazz, blues, all have "old" schools and "nu" schools. Like some bands do the old style punk or jazz. Some the newer hipper stuff. Now it's the same with pop and rock.
La Roux and Ladyhawke come to mind.

Some of use grew up in the 80s and it's a nostalgia trip. Others grew up with parents watching VH1. So that may be where some of the new generation is getting it. Plus video games like Grand Theft Auto have really pushed 80s music.
80s commercial synth pop is becoming a genre yeah. "80s music" is not. slayer and public enemy were around in the 80s, as were john lennon and poison.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Lately!?? It has been for the last 5 years!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Even though the sounds were mostly subpar, the 80's were the last decade of great pop and rock songwriting...a land of hooks and where melody was still king.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbreman View Post
I see so many posts claiming so and so has great new music and then I listen and feel like I've heard this boring simple crap before.

I completely understand the whole aspect of music styles going thru cycles. Every 30 years or so music from 3 decades ago gets popular again. Truly a statement that so few people can come up with original sounding material.

I also get that many of you were probably born in the mid to late 80's and that's fine. I just dont get what is possibly unique or inspiring about alot of this 80's sounding crap that people find so great. It's boring, simple and played out imho but hey.....im into weird music so whatever, just felt like venting.
Wow, glad I'm not the only one! Flame on, but to me the worst decades for music ever was the 70's and 80's. Not that nothing good came out, but it was few and far between.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

You're insane. Totally insane.

The 70's are untouchable. Zeppelin, Funk, The Pistols, Blondie, Joy Division, Steely Dan, the Who, the Stones, Fleetwood, Marvin Gaye, Nick Drake, Elton, Kraftwerk, the Spiders, the Dead, Disco, riff, melodies, funk, extreme styles and variety, innovation galore.

and the studio sound was mindblowing. The 1950's labcoats who had to make great records with primitive electronics were still in the studios when the new the new 24 track Studers and MCI boards were installed. The best met the best... only one time...the 70's.

Surreal.
Old 18th November 2009
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:

Although the '80s revival has been going on for quite a few years, I couldn't agree more with what you've said.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
Lately!?? It has been for the last 5 years!
exactly! the 90s revival has already started man!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysentarygary View Post
Flame on, but to me the worst decades for music ever was the 70's and 80's.
I'm curious about people who critize 70's music...what kind of music do you listen to?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
.....and in a few months, it'll be time for the noughties revival!
Old 18th November 2009
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post
.....and in a few months, it'll be time for the noughties revival!
There's nothing to revive. Cultural wasteland...in the States at least.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

i think todays (or last 5 years, as mentioned) 80's wannabe revival is not authentic AT ALL.
it doesn't have the real feeling of the 80's IMO! but that's how things are nowadays..
solid performance but fake and "emulated" feeling!

an 80's artist "lived" a certain feeling. you could easily tell. now i just see somebody that has "learned"
pretending to be so.....just my personal strong criticism / view.
so the 80's love today doesn't really compare to me. i love the "real" 80's..

Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

the endless 80s revival: why won't it DIE?

it feels like it's been going on forever and a month. here in the UK people have been wearing stupid leggings over stupid tight jeans and stupid trashy tops with stupid gold chains and indescribably stupid bangles and insultingly stupid ray-bans since the dawn of time. it's been about a decade, for crying out loud.

it's like this tragic cultural regression. i understand fads, trends and revivals; but this has gone on Far Too Long. i was born in the 80s, and i hate the 80s.

i hate the synthetic plastic fashionista drivel. i hate the selfishness, the anti-society hypercapitalist coke*****dom. and i hate the vast majority of the music.

i understand it's temporary, and i can't wait for it to pass. i just thought that by now, the here-today, gone-tomorrow fickleness of the pop and fashion worlds would have condemned the 80s revival to the obscurity it so richly deserves.

however, a full five years after hearing the last lazy unoriginal pastiche of cheap drum machines and cheaper ideas, it's still all the vogue. and i really, honest-to-god don't get it. i don't get why anyone wants to listen to poor replications of one of popular music's most depressing decades.

it's not about the subjectivity of the near-past, either. i hate syrupy 19th century Austrian composers just as much as i hate gutless wimp-strewn 80s nothingness.

to resurrect this era of identikit awfulpop, to praise and deify what many rightly consider an abomination unto humanity; that's one thing. but to do it badly, well, shucks. perhaps it's only fitting.

which brings me on to my final point, i guess. which is this: despite my loathing for much of the decade's values and cultural legacy, what really bothers me is that there was A LOT of fantastic, wonderful music in the 80s; but it's ignored in favour of pissweak recreations of pissweak chart-topping crud.

i mean just look at some of the music - not obscure, but popular music - that took hold in the 80s:

the cure moved from the head on the door to hot hot hot. the clash rocked the casbah. joy division got a little closer. killing joke made things uncomfortable. cocteau twins changed british music forever. dead kennedys did pomo punk. gary numan. REM. tracy chapman. scary monsters. mother's milk. nothing's shocking. pretty hate machine. midnight oil. king tubby. tangerine dream.

a rich legacy, but what do we get?

pale pastiches and gutless regurgitations. numbskulls hiding their creative poverty behind a veil of faux-80s simplicity. irony deployed in place of ideas. a total and utter lack of progression, a desparate race to nowhere.

Old 18th November 2009
Oli
Lives for gear

I liked 80's music fro the start of house, rave, acid, tech scenes. I really liked what was happening in the early rap movement. Metal developed from strong elements of the 70's. There was really interesting development of new styles and original music. Punk really rolled with the feeling of reactionary youth, disgusted by the machinations of world politics, and had some really strong musical vibes. I wasn't into Goth, but at least it had it's own style, and legit musicality.

I think modern pop is almost completely devoid of interesting musical thought. I feel modern punk and emo movements are mostly either fashion or attention seeking oriented shadows of former sub-cultures. I do like some recent punk music, though I think of it as pop, as it is coming from a different place, and isn't about the same vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Actual 80s music always had really good progressions, that's what was the draw to lot of music from back then.
I liked that.

I think also that although there was manufactured pop, and figure head bands, there was also a decent amount of legit bands getting signed, and forging successful careers doing their own music. I'm not sure, but it seems that a greater proportion of modern pop is just manufactured by labels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
Even though the sounds were mostly subpar, the 80's were the last decade of great pop and rock songwriting...a land of hooks and where melody was still king.
Agreed. So much modern pop, I can't even feel is writing. There is a loft of non musical crud. I think if something is going to be non-musical, it had better be interesting, or original.

Quote:
I'm curious about people who critize 70's music...what kind of music do you listen to?
I used to listen to a lot of 70's music, and appreciate it a lot. I don't listen to it much now, just as I don't listen to 80's much either. I think it would be silly to ignore it's relevance though.

One thing I have found funny, is kids dissing the previous decades' music, as they listen to tracks built from sampled riffs of old records, or commercial dance or spoken hip-hop/RnB remixes. Poor form.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

No idea what you're talking about.

Anyone else lost here?

Are you talking about 80s music or modern music that draws its inspiration from the 80s but gets it completely wrong, like the electroclash crap?
Old 18th November 2009
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonsound View Post
i just thought that by now, the here-today, gone-tomorrow fickleness of the pop and fashion worlds would have condemned the 80s revival to the obscurity it so richly deserves.
Perhaps a current popular culture is so lacking of real self substance that it must cling to something, or be nothing at all. Perhaps the 90's is still too recent an era to mimic, still remembered in the minds of youth as something to reject.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhm1138 View Post
No idea what you're talking about.

Anyone else lost here?

Are you talking about 80s music or modern music that draws its inspiration from the 80s but gets it completely wrong, like the electroclash crap?
I was quite buzzed when I wrote that earlier so apologies.

My main venting was in referance to the constant recycling of music as time progresses.

I mainly listen to electronic and some metal.

The 80's had glam rock and depeche mode. Wont even waste words on glam and while depeche mode and other bands like them were ok they still used simple 80's synthlines which I've always despised. Sure the chord progressions were decent but the timbre would bug me.

The 90's to me was the best for both electronic and metal. In the 90's I found Prodigy, Orbital, Orb, FSOL, TIP, Blue Room Released, introduction to Shpongle, list goes on and on.

Now in the 00's it feels that anyone who has a computer can decide to become a musician with ease. Slap some generic loops together and think they are the next big thing. Start marketing themselves on myspace and we've got alot of cheap imitations of both 80's and 90's out there right now.

Just look at the forums and you will find posts about "what drum machine made this 80's kick" or "what are some good 80's synths"

Tyler Derden said it best....it's just a copy of a copy of a copy.....

Just want some fresh and original music recommendations is all.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
In the 90's I found Prodigy, Orbital, Orb, FSOL, TIP, Blue Room Released
That's what I mean. The 80's was the last great decade of traditional popular songwriting.

Martin Gore's (Depeche Mode's) songwriting is the of same bloodtype as Greensleves from 1580 AD.

Much of Prodigy, Orbital, Orb is not. Hip Hop is not. Techno, house, etc were not. Much of jazz is of Greensleves bloodline but much of jazz isn't.

Know why Greensleeve's greatest imitator, Paul Simon, began doing his Graceland type African records in 1986? He had it in his mind that "the age of rhythm" was upon us and "melody is as king" dying. Pop songwriters are smart.

(Yes, there is great "traditional popular songwriting" in the 90's and 00's too, but not nearly as abundant.)
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's what I mean. The 80's was the last great decade of traditional popular songwriting.

Martin Gore's (Depeche Mode's) songwriting is the of same bloodtype as Greensleves from 1580 AD.

Much of Prodigy, Orbital, Orb is not. Hip Hop is not. Techno, house, etc were not. Much of jazz is of Greensleves bloodline but much of jazz isn't.

Know why Greensleeve's greatest imitator, Paul Simon, began doing his Graceland type African records in 1986? He had it in his mind that "the age of rhythm" was upon us and "melody is as king" dying. Pop songwriters are smart.

(Yes, there is great "traditional popular songwriting" in the 90's and 00's too, but not nearly as abundant.)
Well I am not so much into "songwriting" as this denotes singing. I am just into new and different forms of music. Actual new styles that push the industry forward instead of being caught in a loop.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Have to disagree with your criticisms of Depeche Mode's sounds. Maybe on Speak and Spell they're a bit bleepy and bloopy but that's part of the charm. Listen to their mid to late 80s output (Some Great Reward - Violator) and you'll hear some of the most inventive and creative use of synths and samplers ever. I don't even know how he created half the sounds he uses! In their prime they were certainly far more inventive than the Prodigy, there's only so many unison lead sounds you can listen to in one life time.

I love stuff like the Orb and Orbital they have more in common with Tangerine Dream than Depeche Mode. Not saying that's a bad thing but it'd be like comparing Guns n' Roses to The Smiths. Both amazing 80s acts with guitars, very different end products.

I do agree with your shout about people trying to emulate the exact sound of a bygone song. By all means use the gear of the past as it's great but actively striving out to use a pre-existing and famous sound is dangerously close to parody. I use an Emax (a-la late 80s Depeche Mode) but I've certainly not gone out to re-create Mr Wilder's sample library!

The 80s being in vogue is just the 20/30 year cycle of popular music. Look back 10-15 years, in Britain we had Brit Pop which was in the main just a load of bands who wanted to be the Beatles, Kinks or Small Faces (60s). Look back 25-30 years ago and you had bands with a bit of 50s rockabilly in them, e.g. Straycats. Ironically all the bands in question weren't even born when half the music they emulate was made. Bands like La Roux are just the modern mannifestation of this. All I can say is give it five to ten years and form either a grunge band or a gangsta rap act and you'll be quids in!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I pretty much agree with you. I am well and truly over the eighties love. I prefer the late seventies anyway.

I believe good music is not confined to specific genres. If its well made and has good melody thats what counts. The specific instruments used to create it are less important.

The eighties thing is just a fad. Just like everyone trying to be make motown records again like Duffy and Amy Winehouse.. Its a fad and will hopefully pass us by soon.

But before it passes we have to put up with threads like : What synth was used in Kim Wildes track?.. blah blah blah....

In a few years time the focus will switch to the nineties.. That I look forward to!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I am not so much into "songwriting" as this denotes singing.
Great "traditional popular songwriting" in no way is dependent on singing or lyrics. Great songwriting is dependent on if you walk down the street a day later or 70 years later whistling the song parts merrily...

...merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I was born in 1975, so I perfectly fit into 80ies music. Yes, it's also nostalgia. Maybe you heard the wrong songs, but in the 80ies, the MELODY and HARMONY was very elaborated. A good song had a catchy melody and original harmonies and not the beat and the impact of sound pressure was so important. Just take the good songs from Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Simply Red, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush and many others. Look at the arrangements and at the harmonies. Ok, on the other hand, some of the hits were actually cover versions of 70ies songs. And I don't speak of these primitive electropop songs with very simple arrangements. In the late 80ies there was this complex arrangement phase in pop music (like Tears for Fears). It sounded big and it took you to some "journey". I am not saying the 90ies were crap. I think the next decade en vogue will be the 90ies or it is already.

The point is, that in the 80ies I had the feeling that pop music was much more an individual thing of stars with more variety compared to now. Here the Hiphop fraction, there the rock/indie fraction, all sounds so polished to death. And the loudness war adds to that.

Did you notice how many present pop songs use overused harmonies? Did you notice that in todays pop music HARMONY
is so often the weakest and most boring part? As if the young generation is overstrained with the simplest jazz chord in some
Simply Red Song.
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post

True. Lots of crap in the 80's but also lots of great stuff, New Wave, House, Baleric, Hip-Hop, EBM, etc. Sadly you had Samantha Fox and Rick Astley at the same time. Thats life. For the most part the fashion did suck ass though.

Now the one I'm really excited about is the comeback of Gil Scott-Heron.

Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Oh ok, I got you. Yeah, that's why I don't listen to much electronic music anymore, it's all heavily quantized paint-by-number 4/4 pish. Soulless. There's a hundred clowns like this locally. Fruityloops and a gimmick, you've got yourself a "band". A bunch of trite hipsters copping the 80s fashions but totally missing the great songwriting, lyrics and harmonizing (Aforementioned Tears For Fears is a good example of 80s music that should be studied).
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

The mid 70's to late 80's were an awesome time for electronic music. So much new and original stuff happening. Admittedly there was a lot of crap too.

I remember some famous guy one saying the difference between 80 music and what we hear now is that they made music back in then because they loved music.

Now Most (not all!) do it because they just want to be rich and/or famous and the record companies tend not to take too many risks with new acts so we end up with the same old regurgitated drivel that fill our charts today.

Mind you we have gobshites like Simon Cowell to thank for that.
Old 18th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:

I absolutely hated the 80's music when I was growing up, I grew up going to practice with my father and seeing REAL musicians play, I guess I hated it because of the fakeness of it all, synths got real big then..kinda like how you don't need to be a musician to do hip hop..Don't know why but now thats I am older I kind of like some of the 80's stuff that I used to hate!!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear