The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's with the 80's love anyway?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

I dunno about you, but when I think of 80's music, I either think of all of the BRILLIANT alternative music that was prevalent back then (Husker Du, Replacements, REM, Devo, Black Flag and the rest of the SST crowd, Butthole Surfers, Flaming Lips, the Cure, Depeche Mode), the great metal of the early part of the decade (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, early thrash, etc.), early rap music when it seemed like anything was possible, and some of the better Top 40 stuff (Eurythmics, Michael Jackson, etc.). Yeah, a lot of the fashions were unfortunate and the newfangled conservative Wall Street yuppie mindset was vomitessent (and still prevalent today, mind you). Musically, though, despite the complaints of the REO Speedwagon fanbase, it was a pretty decent time, all things considered.

I generally totally ignore any of the current 'scenes' simply as a matter of course, so I've pretty much missed out on the whole 80's revival thing with the exception of throwing a beer bottle at the TV set when the Killers were on. We had the same thing in the mid 80's with the late 50's, revised the late 60's and early 70's in the 1988-1994 period, and on and on. There really does need to be something new happening at some point in my adult lifetime....I'm still waiting.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

who is not convinced with the 80ies, should at least understand that the clothing style was cool. Just take a look at this video

YouTube - La Roux - Bulletproof
Old 19th November 2009
rehashing 80's music = fashion victims
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMarvel View Post
I dunno about you, but when I think of 80's music, I either think of all of the BRILLIANT alternative music that was prevalent back then (Husker Du, Replacements, REM, Devo, Black Flag and the rest of the SST crowd, Butthole Surfers, Flaming Lips, the Cure, Depeche Mode), the great metal of the early part of the decade (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, early thrash, etc.), early rap music when it seemed like anything was possible, and some of the better Top 40 stuff (Eurythmics, Michael Jackson, etc.). Yeah, a lot of the fashions were unfortunate and the newfangled conservative Wall Street yuppie mindset was vomitessent (and still prevalent today, mind you). Musically, though, despite the complaints of the REO Speedwagon fanbase, it was a pretty decent time, all things considered.

I generally totally ignore any of the current 'scenes' simply as a matter of course, so I've pretty much missed out on the whole 80's revival thing with the exception of throwing a beer bottle at the TV set when the Killers were on. We had the same thing in the mid 80's with the late 50's, revised the late 60's and early 70's in the 1988-1994 period, and on and on. There really does need to be something new happening at some point in my adult lifetime....I'm still waiting.
+1000.... the 80's weren't all synthpop and leg warmers..... people forget House music, techno, electro(real electro not electro house nonsense), triphop, and pretty much all modern electronic music was created around that period....why focus on the bad fashion and corny "pop" music part of it.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfalk View Post
+1000.... the 80's weren't all synthpop and leg warmers..... people forget House music, techno, electro(real electro not electro house nonsense), triphop, and pretty much all modern electronic music was created around that period....why focus on the bad fashion and corny "pop" music part of it.
Exactly! Some of my favourite music came out of the 80s, and along with it all the gear I love (synths / drum machines etc.)

Although I must say, I grind my teeth whenever a shitty indie band labels themselves "POST PUNK / NEW WAVE" simply because they bought a Micro Korg and use it haphazardly...
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
That's what I mean. The 80's was the last great decade of traditional popular songwriting.
Have always believed that.

Also add in the best ever and most pronounced use of great synth and drum machine sounds heard to date, coupled with a societal exhuberance in the early 70s and early 80s that's reflected in the music. Something that's long gone.

Then throw in the collision of dispirate musical styles late 70s-early 80s that was profound in musical terms, that rendered some sublime new forms of music that IMO are still the foundation to what we hear today.

Dismissing the 80s music as cheesy is to lack depth IMO, as the truth is that some musics from each era invariably age badly given the hindsight of later years. Can't hold that against the 80s in particular when it's in fact true of some musics from each bygone era of pop music when heard decades later.

As far as the 70s, it was also a great era though not better than the 80s, just different. The 70s had a hell of a lot of pap, music made in the early-mid 70s that reflected a musical hangover from the great music of the 60s. In fact, it was the mediocrity of much of the earlier 70s music that formed the basis for the extremely musical reactions and new directions later in the 70s.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

There is some awesomeness in the 80's
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

some awesomeness??? it was incredible:

Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I know you guys are sarcastic, but this second one is indeed cool.
It has dynamcs, not squashed, and the beats are juicy.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

The strangest thing I've noticed is how few truly, truly incredible albums have been released in the last 10-15 years. I thought it could be a nostalgia thing but it can't be as there's plenty of 60s and 70s albums I absolutely adore so it can't be a case of "they don't make 'em like when I was young!"
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
I know you guys are sarcastic, but this second one is indeed cool.
It has dynamcs, not squashed, and the beats are juicy.
nah, no sarcasm at all. big NWA fan here... alot of really good music came out of the 80's, no doubt there at all. some complete utter bullshit too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6581 View Post
The strangest thing I've noticed is how few truly, truly incredible albums have been released in the last 10-15 years. I thought it could be a nostalgia thing but it can't be as there's plenty of 60s and 70s albums I absolutely adore so it can't be a case of "they don't make 'em like when I was young!"
dont remember who said it, but completely agree that we're losing legends faster than we're making them. theres a huge gaping hole in credible talent in popular music today - is our current generation going to produce a Rolling Stones, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Isaac Hayes, Quincy Jones, Doors, Jimmi Hendrix, Miles Davis etc. ALL at the same time? there used to be ridiculously good music out there, that is no where near to being matched today...
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

There's a slight chance i reckon that whoever says that the 80's were bereft of good music likely wasn't around at the time. There was still plenty of genuine excitement around then. You know, that stuff that's not so much around anymore. And it managed to find itself onto plenty records made! ....but then if you weren't around, you wouldn't know the difference. And there is a difference in a rehash of some then often used stylistical elements and the actual real zest that was around then. Put on whatever rehash and then put on a Cindy Lauper record. You might see what I mean.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasprouch View Post
theres a huge gaping hole in credible talent in popular music today - is our current generation going to produce a Rolling Stones, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Isaac Hayes, Quincy Jones, Doors, Jimmi Hendrix, Miles Davis etc. ALL at the same time? there used to be ridiculously good music out there, that is no where near to being matched today...
I am not so pessimistic.

There is always somebody with big talent making great music on this planet, you just have to find it. Not always in the pop sector.

Listen to this CD: Piccola_Orchestra_Avion_Travel_-_Cirano_3155131/

for example. It's excellent
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
I am not so pessimistic.

There is always somebody with big talent making great music on this planet, you just have to find it. Not always in the pop sector.

Listen to this CD: Piccola_Orchestra_Avion_Travel_-_Cirano_3155131/

for example. It's excellent
right, but im looking at it from the pop music angle as that is what it is: popular music. if popular music in the 70's was Pink Floyd and whatnot, and now in the 00's its Black Eyed Peas, pretty safe to say its all gone to shit...

look at hiphop, the output was incredible until the mid 90's then boom, all went to crap. listen to some of Bob Sinclar's early tracks from the 90's, and compare that to the absolute heresy hes been putting out recently. check out the ouptut in all forms of electronic music in the 80's and 90's and compare it to the mainstream rubbish coming out today - its painful. mind you, theres plenty to love like you say, if you know where to look, but music in general was a lot better back then...
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasprouch View Post
right, but im looking at it from the pop music angle as that is what it is: popular music. if popular music in the 70's was Pink Floyd and whatnot, and now in the 00's its Black Eyed Peas, pretty safe to say its all gone to shit...
And the Floyd lot probably didn't wee themselves on stage either.....
Old 19th November 2009
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
There's a slight chance i reckon that whoever says that the 80's were bereft of good music likely wasn't around at the time. There was still plenty of genuine excitement around then. You know, that stuff that's not so much around anymore. And it managed to find itself onto plenty records made! ....but then if you weren't around, you wouldn't know the difference. And there is a difference in a rehash of some then often used stylistical elements and the actual real zest that was around then. Put on whatever rehash and then put on a Cindy Lauper record. You might see what I mean.
I was in high school in the second half of the '80s and I can confirm that pop music sucked as much then as the rehashed version now.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
I was in high school in the second half of the '80s and I can confirm that pop music sucked as much then as the rehashed version now.
Cool. I'll raise ya and comfirm the opposite then
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
there's not been a single decade with the explosion of creativity like the 80's as far as pop music is concerned. i just don't get the hatred of the 80's. the 80's may not have been the absolute beginning of some of the following but it sure was the explosion point...

reggae
ska
hip-hop
rap
metal
death metal
glam metal
punk
industrial
nu-wave
synth-pop
etc...

the 90's only saw the explosion of house and techno and grunge
the 00's only saw the explosion of emo

garage stuff has been around since the 60's and 70's so nothing new there. the only new additions to the music scene in 90 and 00 has been techno and it's several sub genres and emo. personally i don't like having someone scream their emotional baggage at me so emo can just dissapear.

as far as creativity in the 80's everyone cites depeche mode as the only thing that ever happened...
some you tube vids to put that into the proper perspective

1986 yello (feat. shirly bassey) - the rythm devine

1981 the specials - ghost town

1988 nwa - straight outta compton

1984 van halen - jump

? (early eighties) einsturzende neubauten - autobahn

1988 front 242 - headhunter

1980-81 split enz - one step ahead

1982 icehouse - hey little girl

and for those that think synth pop was nothing but depeche mode...

1980 ultravox - vienna

1981 omd - souvenir

1988 pet shop boys (feat. dusty springfield) - what have i done to deserve this

1983 thompson twins - love on your side

1984 blancmange - the day before you came

and waves for those who will think a cover tune of an abba song doesn't count as 80's

1981 duran duran - the chauffeur

1989 alphaville - lassie come home

etc...
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
and as far a vibe revival bands there are actually some really good bands that have a huge 80's influence...

let's get the depeche mode influenced bands outta the way first

melotron - das herz

and folge mir ins licht

and one - military fashion show

and sometimes

mesh - friends like these

and now for the other neu synth pop/electroclash stuff

wolfsheim - once in a lifetime

covenant - we stand alone

mgmt - kidz

röyksopp - happy up here

and the robot and the girl which is a complete ripoff of enjoy the silence lol but still good enough on it's own

combichrist - get your body beat (think nitzer ebb rehashed)

speaking of nitzer ebb that's another emulated band ...

spetznaz - hardcore hooligans

and weirdly enough 1/2 of nitzer ebb in fixmer/mccarthy

join in the chant

and any gangster rap video lol!!!!!!!!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I find myself listening to a lot of 80's music lately, including bands I didn't even listen to back when it really was the 80's (like Blancmange, Heaven 17, Devo, etc).

I think what's making me turn more and more to 80's music is that it isn't compressed and loudness maximized into a shrill waveform of undynamic noise.

I recently bought the album Hands by Little Boots. And, you know what?, it's actually a pretty good album with some nice synth parts and very catchy songwriting. The problem is, I can only stand to listen to it in the car because if I listen to it on any system with any pretentions to high-fidelity, that system reveals what a terrible, distorted mastering job has been done to Little Boots' songs.

In contrast, go listen to the SACD release of Depeche Mode's Speak and Spell (seriously, go listen to it RIGHT NOW ). It sounds utterly amazing with actual <gasp!> dynamic range, no pumping of the mix by the kick drum (dear Lord do I hate hearing that on an album), and realistic vocals that haven't been auto-tuned into vanilla-sheened blandness.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

There's some great 80's type stuff coming out, you just have to find it.

YouTube - Time - O'Spada ( HQ )
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post
I recently bought the album Hands by Little Boots. And, you know what?, it's actually a pretty good album with some nice synth parts and very catchy songwriting. The problem is, I can only stand to listen to it in the car because if I listen to it on any system with any pretentions to high-fidelity, that system reveals what a terrible, distorted mastering job has been done to Little Boots' songs.
I also have that Album. I think that the mastering is absolutely great.
Only Earthquake is a bit pushed to hard and sounds shrill in the car.

Listen to "mathematics" or to "tune into my heart" or "meddle". Great masters.
Old 19th November 2009
I happen to think the 80's were full of great music with the exception of all the poser hair bands living out the fantasy hard rock glory days left over from the 70's.

However, even if it all sucked, the 80's would be a milestone because of this one album...

Amazon.com: A Fierce Pancake: Stump: Music
Old 20th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbreman View Post
What's the deal with all the 80's music love lately?
I dunno, you tell me!!! http://www.myspace.com/electricbluemusic
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
Oh no it's infected my hometown! lol

For the record there are some great bands that played in the 80's like Iron Maiden and Pink Floyd but I am mainly referring to the recreation of all the cheesy synth pop crap. Ugh it bugs me!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbreman View Post
Oh no it's infected my hometown! lol

For the record there are some great bands that played in the 80's like Iron Maiden and Pink Floyd but I am mainly referring to the recreation of all the cheesy synth pop crap. Ugh it bugs me!
you sir are a troll! get back under your bridge.

posting about synth pop sucking in an electronic music instruments forum and praising iron maiden? seriously? why not say kiss is all about the music and not about some makeup and costumes while you're at it. or that journey is the greatest band ever.

for the record iron maiden sucked ass, all they had was the lame album artwork to appeal to 14 year olds, the music itself was boring drivel. pink floyd is just another 70's prog rock band that didn't die off with the 70's. talk about simplistic non-complex repetitive music...
we don't need no education... we don't need no thought control... repeat rinse etc...
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I used to hate that 80's pop crap when I was a kid but strangely when I listen to that music nowadays, there is something... For example, I just bought Aha's debut album and listened to it seriously. It's freaking HUGE!! And that's just one example.

My feeling is that music is getting cheaper and cheaper every decade. And why wouldn't it, it's the law of economics. Music industry is no different from any other industry. I'm of course just talking about commercial music that we can hear from the radio.
Old 20th November 2009
the 80s revival has been going on for at least a decade now the people still doing it (tasteless synth rock) are behind the times by like a decade. there's already been a substantial amount of 90s revival going on for a while but i'm not sure how eleven, ni, logic, motu, etc. vst pedal boards would have fit in with the overall mentality of grunge?

personally the last 3-4 years i've been looking into the late 1920s up to the late 30s for inspiration especially early horror like lugosi, karloff and price. now, although i don't have as much time, i'm trying to get a grasp on the 40s and maybe the 50s? early (good) scifi, ella fitzgerald, billie holiday up to nina simone, etc. the early blues/motown that influenced the beatles, stones, etc.

some bands that emulated the 50s kind of rock style that i've seen recently were the black lips and king khan and the bbq there also seems to be a push into 'noise punk' like japanther and health...
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
you sir are a troll! get back under your bridge.

posting about synth pop sucking in an electronic music instruments forum and praising iron maiden? seriously? why not say kiss is all about the music and not about some makeup and costumes while you're at it. or that journey is the greatest band ever.

for the record iron maiden sucked ass, all they had was the lame album artwork to appeal to 14 year olds, the music itself was boring drivel. pink floyd is just another 70's prog rock band that didn't die off with the 70's. talk about simplistic non-complex repetitive music...
we don't need no education... we don't need no thought control... repeat rinse etc...
Iron Maiden was one of the best metal bands ever. Either you werent listening and were too caught up in the album art or dont like metal to begin with. The bass playing by Steve Harris alone was an inspiration in itself. It's sad for you to even put them in the same category as kiss or journey.

I am also surprised to see you talking trash about Floyd. They were a huge influence to many electronic musicians.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear