The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
different ways to add variety to a sample
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

different ways to add variety to a sample

So the main part of my track is a sample. It gets a little repetetive after about 1.5 min, so I just wanted to get people tips on how to change it up..

I've tried chopping up the sample (reducing) but I found it just totally kills the energy of the track.. Are there specific plugins or ableton live effects I could use to change it up?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear
what kind of sample is it ?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkor View Post
what kind of sample is it ?
Its basically a 4 bar drum pattern comprised of percs.. It pretty much defines the groove of my track..
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
Its basically a 4 bar drum pattern comprised of percs.. It pretty much defines the groove of my track..
slice it up and rearrange it a bit at the end of each bar or 2nd or 4th..
create some movements...
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Recycle it ! - so much possible with that software.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear
play around with some filters or phasers/flangers. automate stuff to make it interesting.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

Also, if you have Ableton.. try it with 'beat repeat' and other effects chains using differenct settings. Nice way to sort of radomize and create variation.
Old 16th November 2009
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear
what abt playing some synths/bass/whaterver you want on the sample to make it more personnal?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Recycle it ! - so much possible with that software.
is this a VST plugin?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlennon View Post
Also, if you have Ableton.. try it with 'beat repeat' and other effects chains using differenct settings. Nice way to sort of radomize and create variation.
Ya I tried beat repeat out on this but because the sample is already pretty busy, it just makes a mess of it..
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
is this a VST plugin?
Propellerhead Software - Products - ReCycle

You know, sometimes it's just y'know, actual effort instead of throwing a plugin over something and hoping it does the job for you.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
is this a VST plugin?
Its a separate Ap but once you've turned the loop into a Rex2 file you could import it into Stylus RMX as a plug in ( if you have it ) - this can then allow you to glitch, screw, clamp, process each fragment how ever you like !
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

i think you can use Rex files in Ableton now as well.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

What sampler are you using? The yamaha a5000 has a randomize function and you can do lfo per sample also to alter each one just a little. Not radically but just a touch on maybe the effect or length or attack or whatever. It makes a big difference.
Old 17th November 2009
Just chop it up in Abelton. I often make multiple copies of the same loop with different parts cut out with the volume and transpose envelopes, and different start points, and switch between them. You can also process them differently. You could also split it into separate frequency bands with an eq, and have them on different channels and process them differently.

LiveCut is cool on drum loops, and its donation ware so easy to check out for yourself.

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear