The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please help! Akai S6000
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

Please help! Akai S6000

Hi Everyone,

I urgently need help installing an internal hard drive into my Akai S6000 sampler.

I've installed all the bits but I don't have the correct power cable that connects the SCSI hard drive to the pcb.

Does anyone know where I can find one at short notice or if I have to modify the connectors etc?

If I could find the connector I could make my own cable up but I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. I'm based in the UK (London) and need this up and running for Thursday so I'm not sure any US companies would be of any use.

Hills
Old 17th November 2009
Deleted #8726
Hey,

As far as I know the power connector is in the S6000's PSU. Google on "adding harddisk to akai sampler" for more detailed results.
Old 17th November 2009
It's a standard Old school PC Drive power connector on one end and a Molex style 4 pin connector with friction lock tab. I believe the pitch is 2.54mm. I'm in the middle of a move os I can't tell you the exact part number to reference.

Any electronics supply store should have the harder to find connector in the header or connection sections.

Kaz
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

I couldn't find the connector either. I ended up just clipping a 4 pin molex hard drive connector and wires (red-black-black-yellow) from a scrap connector harness I had laying around and soldered it to the S6000 power supply myself. Super easy, super fast, and super cheap.

I also drilled a hole in the side of the S6000 and mounted a DPDT toggle switch for hard drive power, so that I could shut the drive down after I was done loading or saving. This way you don't have to hear the damn drive spinning all day long. The S6000 doesn't have a 'sleep drive' command like the Kurzweils do.

Simply route the red and yellow wires from +5V and +12V respectively through the switch and on to the drive.
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks

Jetplane...I think that's the info I needed. I'm gonna try hard wiring this thing...I just hope I don't mess it up

So I take it that looking at the PSU from the left of the unit the wires will go red/black/black/yellow from left to right?

I'm not sure I understand exactly how to install the switch but it's a great idea so something I'll think about later.

Ta x

Hills
Old 18th August 2010
Here for the gear

Akai S6000 S5000 Power Cable for Hard Drive Digital Sampler

Hi,
The company AftertheMac.com has the Power Cables for Akai Internal Hard Drive Disk Installation.
The cables are fully compatible with the Akai S6000, S5000, S3000xl and S2000xl Digital Sampler.

These are Not compatible with the DR series, only for the S series.

Akai S5000 S6000 Power Cable and Data Cable Package

John
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetplane666666 View Post
I couldn't find the connector either. I ended up just clipping a 4 pin molex hard drive connector and wires (red-black-black-yellow) from a scrap connector harness I had laying around and soldered it to the S6000 power supply myself. Super easy, super fast, and super cheap.

I also drilled a hole in the side of the S6000 and mounted a DPDT toggle switch for hard drive power, so that I could shut the drive down after I was done loading or saving. This way you don't have to hear the damn drive spinning all day long. The S6000 doesn't have a 'sleep drive' command like the Kurzweils do.

Simply route the red and yellow wires from +5V and +12V respectively through the switch and on to the drive.
it would have been easier to simply put the drive in a cheap external rack case with a power switch wouldn't it? just saying.

also before the op gets too far ahead make sure while the unit is still open you have everything terminated properly on the scsi bus and that the drive and akai are on seperate scsi id numbers.
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

do your self a favour, buy a card reader instead.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear