The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alan Braxe Studio
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Head

Alan Braxe Studio

For you French House lovers, there was an article in Future Music 219 last month with Alan Braxe (Stardust fame) talking about the gear in his studio and his production technique (heavy use of the 3630!).

Here is the video of him explaining production on the SP-1200...

FM219 Promo Feat: Alan Braxe on Vimeo

There is another video of Alan giving a studio tour where he discusses each piece of gear in his studio. This video looks is on the disc with the magazine and doesn't seem to be online.

In the video the there is a small box in his studio that I can't identify and he doesn't talk about it in the video. For you gearspotters out there, can anybody recognize what it is from this screen grab?

It's the small box to the right of monitor on top of the Omega 8 with all the cables coming out the side.

Thanks

Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

Looks like a portable recorder. Might be a DAT cause that looks like a DAT case next to the monitor.

Want O8
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

easy one! Studio Electronics Omega

http://www.neopolitanlabs.com/images/p7.jpg
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

I like how he takes one of the best french house tracks EVER MADE... and shows us how EFFORTLESS it was for him...

After he breaks it down.. I scratched my head "did he just do that?! did he just make some of the hardest stuff to write look like some of the easiest stuff to write? get a sp-1200, a shit mixer and a shit compressor and that's it... find the dope samples and bask in the fame?!?!"

****ing asshole. haha.
Old 15th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegjoe857 View Post
I like how he takes one of the best french house tracks EVER MADE... and shows us how EFFORTLESS it was for him...

After he breaks it down.. I scratched my head "did he just do that?! did he just make some of the hardest stuff to write look like some of the easiest stuff to write? get a sp-1200, a shit mixer and a shit compressor and that's it... find the dope samples and bask in the fame?!?!"

****ing asshole. haha.
well...he picked a decent sample - that was about it...not rocket science. That track would have been nothing without the Fred Falke bassline...
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

Great stuff! I love Alan Braxe's Tracks.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB View Post
Looks like a portable recorder. Might be a DAT cause that looks like a DAT case next to the monitor.

Want O8
Yes, I thought it might also be a DAT recorder but it somehow looks a bit vintage to be a DAT recorder.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegjoe857 View Post
easy one! Studio Electronics Omega

http://www.neopolitanlabs.com/images/p7.jpg
The Omega is easy, its the box on top of the Omega to the right that I am trying to identify.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Has anyone seen the vid which isn't online where they take a tour through his studio?

I would love to know what synths/samplers/outboard he uses in addition to the Alesis 3630 and the SP1200.
Old 16th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Tripper View Post
Has anyone seen the vid which isn't online where they take a tour through his studio?

I would love to know what synths/samplers/outboard he uses in addition to the Alesis 3630 and the SP1200.
not a huge amount.

he has a mid range Mackie mixer. Some 500 series API eqs he doesnt use much. And a SSL style compressor strapped accross the drum buss (SP1200). He recently got an Oberheim Xpander....and a Roland SH2. Um...oh yeah and 2 of those nice Universal Audio converters. And rubbish 5" monitors!
Last thing-he has a Ensonique ASR keyboard...
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

sorry to break the intrigue but that's an Edirol R-44 that the Future Music team were using and it found it's way into the shot!

Not the most exciting answer, but great videos, well worth picking up the issue
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:

Gear Alan discusses in the studio video:

-Roland SH-2
-Oberheim Xpander
-Doepfer MAQ 16/3
-Ensoniq ASR-10
-Maxon PH-350 Rotary Phaser Pedal
-Maxon CS-550 Chorus Pedal
-Maxon AD-999 Analog Delay Pedal
-E-MU SP-1200
-Roland S-760
-Lexicon PCM-42 Delay
-API Lunchbox w/2 550A EQs
-Studio Electronics Omega 8
-Akai MPC-60
-Tapco S5 Monitors
-UA 2192 Converter x 2
-Mackie 1202 VLZ3 Mixer

Other gear that can be seen:

-Lexicon PCM-70
-RME Fireface 800
-UA 2-1176 Compressor
-Brent Averill 1272 Mic Pre
-Roland MV-8000
Old 16th November 2009
Deleted 8456dd3
A couple of other things you missed:

Oberheim DPX1
SSL buss comp (original)
Forat drum sampler
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

Couple more visible in the pics...

Roland TR-909
Lexicon PCM-60
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Maniac

So no Mac or PC?

Does he do all his sequencing using the MPC60 and the SP1200?
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
So no Mac or PC?

Does he do all his sequencing using the MPC60 and the SP1200?

He uses Ableton
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear