The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kraftzwerk...?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

Kraftzwerk...?

hey slutz,

i have problem with right choice of the new synth. I create dark ambient/industrial style of music and i’ve got now dsi mono Evolver and waldorf Blofeld. I also use Absynth4.

My budgete is up to 750 euro and i would like to have synth with some unusual sounds, able to do fx’s, drones, pads .

I’m considering mfb Kraftzwerk and was thinking about spectrasonic omnisphere but i don’t think i will like it (from YouTube) and still use Absynth. And i really prefere hardware. I also was thinking about dsi Tetr4. 4 voice poly would be great but it's the same sonic potential as evoler (even less).

So, is Kraftzwerk a good solution, do You think it would add something to my other synths? Maybe it’s poor replica of greater modulars? Is there something else worth considering?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

The Evolver isn't weird enough for you? :D

Check out the Waldorf Q and XT:

Aliens-Project - Waldorf Q

Aliens-Project - Waldorf Microwave XT

Seriously though, "weirdness" usually comes down to programming. The Q and XT just have a leg up in regards to having a TON of modulation options.

EDIT:

Nevermind on the Q and XT...you already have a Blofeld so that should be able to cover most of those sounds for you....can you post an example of the types of sounds you are after?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

yeah evolver and blofeld do their work - it’s true, but You know how is it, just would like to get something new, maybe to inspire me

i’m not kind of guy that want to have every synth or too many of them, because i know ‘less is better’ you try to be more creative, but still i think three of them would be perfect (analog, va, and semimodular?)

can’t give examples because my whole stuff i’ve got in other house, so i could do it tomorrow evening but again, i would like something i can’t do now
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

you might like the drone commander..

eric archer . net » Drone Commander
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

thanks, this synth is really nice and quite cheap, i'll consider it for sure

anything else?
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
yeah evolver and blofeld do their work - it’s true, but You know how is it, just would like to get something new, maybe to inspire me

i’m not kind of guy that want to have every synth or too many of them, because i know ‘less is better’ you try to be more creative, but still i think three of them would be perfect (analog, va, and semimodular?)

can’t give examples because my whole stuff i’ve got in other house, so i could do it tomorrow evening but again, i would like something i can’t do now
Which Evolver do you have? The desktop unit or the MEK?

Maybe the interface of the gear you're using is a big part of why you're not feeling inspired. The Blofeld and Evolver Desktop interfaces don't really scream "inspirational", at least not to me. If you feel that's the case, why not try to get a synth with some more hands on control? If you like the sound of the Blofeld, there's the aforementioned Q and XT synths from Waldorf. If you do indeed have the Desktop Evolver, then why not try upgrading to the MEK?

Also, what is your outboard FX situation like at the moment? Maybe an Eventide H3000 can breath some new life into your studio :D
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
thanks, this synth is really nice and quite cheap, i'll consider it for sure

anything else?
someone recently re-made, with full permission, the gristleizer - the fx box throbbing gristle used to kick off the industrial scene way back. ok its not a synth, but if i was making ambient/industrial i'd consider it.

THE GRISTLEIZER
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

long time lurker, first time poster.

it looks to me like you already have some solid gear for making dark ambient/industrial music. considering that you want to keep your studio small, you have a lot of ground covered in terms of the types of sounds that you can make. if you're looking to freshen up your sound, i'll also add the opinion that you might want to look at some outboard effects. there are lots of options available to you but here's a few for you to consider.

- WMD geiger counter
- jomox t-resonator
- sherman filterbank
- anything eventide

now, if the idea of outboard effects doesn't work for you, i like the way you're thinking in regards to a semi-modular solution. i would argue that it might be worth saving up more money than your current budget allows and pick out a modest modular system proper. there are lots of fantastic options available to you if you go that route. they are great for unusual sounds, fx and drones. they would also allow you to create some meatier basslines than your current gear can make. a humble modular system can also be great for mangling audio signals by using it as an fx processor.

even if you do go with a semi-modular synth, you could always look at expanding it in the future with a modest modular setup of modules.

although you tend to see the future retro xs usually associated with an 'acid' sound, it might be worth exploring to see if it can produce the types of sounds that you're looking for (obviously not for pads though). i've always felt there was a fine line between acid sounds and those used for industrial music. one of the main differences being that acid sounds tend to use more resonance that push self-oscillation versus a wet sound common to industrial music. it might be worth a look.

both the waldorf q and the waldorf microwave were mentioned. either would be perfect for what you're seeking but as was mentioned, it might be too much overlap with your blofeld.

you could also consider saving up for an andromeda a6. it does everything that you're looking for and more. it's the first thing that i go to when i need need unusual sounds, fx, drones or pads. it has flexible modulation options for programming sounds.

dark ambient and industrial music are the primary styles of music that i like to make. i realized that my best option was to go with a full blown modular system, but since i needed more of a workhorse synth, i went with the andromeda. i couldn't be more pleased with how well it suits my needs. my next move for gear acquisition will be a proper modular system.

if you're comfortable sharing your music with the public, i'd love to hear what you're up to. i don't have anything to share at the moment, but i plan to have some music suitable for public consumption after the christmas holidays.

since you want to keep your studio small, the best advice that i can offer you is to take your time in choosing your next piece of gear. do a lot of research. in terms of a synth, it sounds to me like you would benefit from having numerous modulation options available to you. hopefully i've given you some things to think about. good luck.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

kraftwerk kraftwerk, always kraftwerk.... i prefer CAN if we're talkin seminal german bands

CAN never get mentioned, what a travesty.
Old 15th November 2009
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7161 View Post
kraftwerk kraftwerk, always kraftwerk.... i prefer CAN if we're talkin seminal german bands

CAN never get mentioned, what a travesty.
Did anyone mention Kraftwerk?
Old 15th November 2009
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Thanks for posting those links. Some interesting sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Seriously though, "weirdness" usually comes down to programming. The Q and XT just have a leg up in regards to having a TON of modulation options.
Agreed. I think modular and virtual modular platforms are also good in this regard. I think analogue modulars also give good value for money, though there is a fair bit of overhead with patching, and inconvenience for recall. I quite like my Nord Modular 1 in this regard, and it still has its own character.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolkboy View Post
you might like the drone commander..

eric archer . net » Drone Commander

Woa nice. Do I neeeeed this? Nice price for sure, very tempting.
Old 15th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolkboy View Post
someone recently re-made, with full permission, the gristleizer - the fx box throbbing gristle used to kick off the industrial scene way back. ok its not a synth, but if i was making ambient/industrial i'd consider it.

THE GRISTLEIZER

Wow thanks for posting this. I want one!

To the OP, I agree you should look into effects, the jomox boxes are great I have an M-Resonator and its great for nasty stuff, totally unpredictable and cheep. Sherman would be great too.

Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Kraftzwerg, since it is a semi- modular with full modular patchability will do the drones and metallic grindy sounds you desire. At $799 it's a great deal for a small, modular monosynth.

But I liked the Drone Commander demo too.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

SovietSpaceChild
i’ve got monoEvolver desktop but i’ve recently chain it with BCR2000 and i’m much happier

i’ll post my myspace link this week but i have to upload something fresh there (i don’t really use this site to much)

DayglowScarecrow
andromeda a6 is too expensive and i don’t think it would be worth money for me, but of'course such great polyphony would be very nice

modulars – price, price, price, and that’s why i was think about kraftzerk

outboard FX – YES i was thinking about it but really didn’t ever look in this topic to close, but i’m gonna now search some YT vids, i think some boxes could do great job for me - thanks

Anyway, thank You Guys for this answers
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear