The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Piano and Vocal FX for House Music - Oldschool Flavour?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

Piano and Vocal FX for House Music - Oldschool Flavour?

Hi all

I have a classic Piano Chord Pattern, something between old NY and Chicago House, but it sounds like 2009. I'm using NI Akoustic Piano and I wonder if you have some tips, Eqing, Overdrive, Filtering to get that oldscool flavour.

I'm also using some Vocal Adlips and shouts, same here, it sounds simply too newschool. I'm using a ping pong delay and reverb on it, but I need a bit of grit.

I have the following gear:

Sherman Filterbank 1, Mutronics Mutator, Mackie 1604 (Overdrive?), Boss RX 100 Spring Reverb, Moogerfooger Delay, Phaser, RM, Behringer CC300 Analog Chorus and a lot of Plugins, Sonnox, Waves, PSP etc.

What could be a good start?

I could try it by myself, but if you already have experience, please send me your tips..

Thanks!
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Guru

Akoustik simply has too many samples heh. Re-sample it - simply render a track that plays C1, F#1, C2, F#2 (and so on) on a fixed velocity (say, 100). Don't use Akoustik's own reverb.

Then, compress the tail of each sample and see if you can find loop points. Use the volume envelope to make the notes die out. Stretch each of those samples over a range of 6 semitones, and map velocity to volume.

Alternatively, Korg's Legacy Digital M1 plugin can do the job for you, too.

As for the vocals, see bitreduction (back to 12 bits, 32 khz) works. Resample 'm with an Akai S2000 or something.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

Good advice! I will try the Korg M1 Legacy.

Also the vocal resampling, I will do it with my EMU SP 1200

Any Ideas concerning Delays and Reverbs?

Another Question, I'm using the Drumazone 909 for the Hihats, would you use the 1604 as Overdrive unit?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear