The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
'THE' best 80s synth to have
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensing View Post
Except for the akai vx90, i can't really think of a synth in the eighties that sounded bad.
I'm going to have to get around to making a demo of mine.
Old 14th October 2011
Here for the gear

heard and played a lot of stuff, prophet 1-5, roland jupiter 4-6-8, juno's, minimoog's, odyssey, 2600, oberheims... pretty much anything really exept a synthex i guess and my vote goes to ......the memorymoog
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Okay. I am going through a 'I wanna buy an 80s Synth' and want to know your thoughts. I currently have, in oldschool stuff, a Juno 106, JX8P, D550 and a TX816. These are my 80s synths. I am curious to know. If you could have 'Any' 80s synth, what would it be and why?
None of those all Shite i'm afraid hope you got em cheap?
JP8, OBXa prophet5
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

OP said best synth. not best synthS. why are people listing more than 1 :p

ok, it's gotta be
Jupiter 8
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Memorymoog has to be in the top 5, no?

And, it KILLS me to say this, but the DX7 has to get a mention. Believe this old man, it was everywhere in the 80s, and we all loved the new FM sound.
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

It's really a difficult question because the 80's ushered in not only digital but midi. If it were striclty analog without midi I would say Jupiter 8 or OBXa. In that order. But it all got interesting when the DX7 landed and midi happened. The DX7 made a big mark in the 80's , but it wasn't THE 80's. Many other synths coined the 80's sound, most of which were analog. It was later eclipsed to a large degree. I love FM, used it, still do, I own three of them and I wouldn't be without that dimension, but I never saw the DX or FM as the stand alone sound, only a component.
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

I just watched video of the yamaha DX7IID.Man it sound so amazing and I want 1.

Whats better for that 80's/darkish thick sound

The Yamaha DX7IID or Oberheim matrix 1000?

I might get both.

Also is there a true DX7 desktop synth?
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddash
Also is there a true DX7 desktop synth?
Yes. It's the TX7. But you can't edit from the front panel.

You'd better get a TX-802 imo.
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Okay. I am going through a 'I wanna buy an 80s Synth' and want to know your thoughts. I currently have, in oldschool stuff, a Juno 106, JX8P, D550 and a TX816. These are my 80s synths. I am curious to know. If you could have 'Any' 80s synth, what would it be and why?
For what someone called a Shite synth, the TX816 was one of my main synths for years and is incredible. That and a Prophet 5 paid themselves back many times through my music.
Of course it's not cool or advised for people who haven't got a clue, but for me, the TX816 just might be one of the best 2 or 3 80's synth even if it's a PITA in some ways.

So my 80's synth would be a combo of Prophet 5 and TX816. Stunning sounds.
If I could have just one, Prophet 5.
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

These days, I'd have a hard time choosing between an Xpander and a Prophet VS.

Back then, it was the Emulator II.
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear
Man, the CZ-1000...
Old 9th April 2012
Gear Addict

The Prophet 5 was the very first fully programmable PolySynth. Even though the first rev.'s appeared in the late 70's it stayed in production for several years and was the most heard analog Synth through much of the 80's.
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa View Post
And, it KILLS me to say this, but the DX7 has to get a mention. Believe this old man, it was everywhere in the 80s, and most of us loved the new FM sound.
FIXED (not all of us loved the new FM sound )
Old 9th April 2012
Gear Addict

Kurzweil K2000VP, is technically post 80's but it is the culmination of all their K-series work in the 80's. It is deep. Very very deep. Too deep for some.

However, for a cover band I would suggest a solid lappy and some software emulations. No one in the bar will know the difference and you'll cut down on cartage. A splittable full size controller (or two), a three tier stand and a lappy with a low latency audio/midi interface would sort your band right out. IMO, of course.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear