The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
'THE' best 80s synth to have Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

What? No love for the Casio SK-1?

That was a classic...

Cheers,
++aldo
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Okay. I am going through a 'I wanna buy an 80s Synth' and want to know your thoughts. I currently have, in oldschool stuff, a Juno 106, JX8P, D550 and a TX816. These are my 80s synths. I am curious to know. If you could have 'Any' 80s synth, what would it be and why?
From the attainable category:
1.) Prophet 5
2.) Oberheim OB-Xa (my favorite, SonicProjects makes a great emulator)
3.) Roland Jupiter 8
4.) Yamaha DX7

For the stretch:
5.) E-mu Emulator II (see Ferris Beuller)

And for the super, you-ain't-never-gonna-have-it stretch:
6.) Synclavier
7.) Fairlight CMI
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ah man, I want my Matrix 12, Memorymoog and Emulator III back!

Had to sell them a few years ago. A Chroma would be pretty sick, I only played one once.

To me the sound of the 80's is Fairlight (not that I like that sound).
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegjoe857 View Post
I sense a tone of sarcasm here! And I have a Mirage too!

Actually If I made a list of my 5 favorite samplers (or favored from what I know, have read, and heard of them) My list would look something like this:

1 E-MU Emax Rack
2 Akai MPC-60
3 Ensoniq Mirage
4 E-MU SP-1200
5 E-MU Emulator II

And you will notive I left off a few monsters.. I took practicality and ease of use into account (sorry Fairlight!). So honorable mention would be Emulator I, Fairlight, S-950, S-900, PPG wave, Linn 9000, SP-12, SC Studio 440.

I am obviously not a fan of 16-bit+ samplers.
you sound like a hip hop head. and i was impressed by the 440 reference. a lot of people sleep on that one.
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post

the early 80 - 83 synth pop & new wave, with lotta roland sh and jupiter4, system100 and 100m, small moogs, minimoog, prophets, oberheim obx and obxa..and string machines..

mid 80s, with onslaught of first megabuck samplers like Fairlight and EII, a hybrid PPG, Jupiter 8 (it wasn't immediatelly popular after its release in 81 ), and DX7 that was just fkin everywhere for next 2 yrs since its release.

and then the second half of 80s saw rise and much use of cheaper 12 bit, and first 16 bit samplers, i.e. Eii/Eiii/Akai S900/950.. esp for drums.. some new analogs like Xpander, OB8, MKS80, tho analog wastn as big anymore.. and then fresh designs like D50, ESQ-1 etc.
Nice general summary of the 80's (or "eighties" ) there clusterchord.

Of all the phases of 80's music, it's the early 80's (transition from the late 70's) new wave / synth pop that interests me most. I am not a music historian, but for me this period is delineated by the release of Tubeway Army's Replicas (1979) on one end, and the release of the DX7 on the other (1983). So it should come as no surprise that my favorite synths are the Jupiter-4, the Minimoog, the Prophet-5 (10) and the OB-Xa.

In my mind 1983 is like 1066 -- one historical date I will never forget.
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Juno 60
Moog Source
EDP Wasp
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Nut

Wow, Im actually quite surprised the EPS and EPS-16plus have not been mentioned!! VFX, VFX-SD, SD-1??? Alpha Juno's? Id go out on a limb and recommend the SCI Six-Trak
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Okay. Since my last update, I have purchased an OB8 and an Xpander.
Definitely 80s and the Xpander has another color which can be 90s even..
So the arsenal has gone up. To use them today, I just have to process them alot modern with additional filters etc. The OB8 is a solid piece and Xpander versatile. thumbs up for US synths
Old 9th January 2010
Lives for gear

Prophet 5 for me
Old 1st November 2010
In my opinion the most important keyboards of the 80's, the ones you hear on albums the most or most defining. I've limited the list to instruments that appeared in the 80's; otherwise mainstays like the Minimoog, Yamaha CP70, , Roland Jupiter 4/ProMars, Clavinet, Arp Omni and other string machines, would appear on the list.

The 80's Heavy Weights:

SCI Prophet 5 rev 3
Roland Jupiter 8
Oberheim OBX/OBX-a
Yamaha DX-7
Roland D-50
Korg M1
Emu Emulator II
Fairlight CMI IIx
NED Synclavier
Akai S900/S950
Linn Drum Machine
Linn LM-1
Oberheim DX/DMX
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

do i even have to answer this? although my answer would be more "best early 80s synth"

but the first 2 on the previous post would be my first 2 as well, and that's why I own em. prophet 5 + jupiter 8 = best of both worlds (american/japanese)

of course all the tr- stuff and linn drums and all that too, but im keeping this strictly synth so if you're talking about THE 80s synth...

then mid-late 80s you get that stuff with a darker sound coming in, mks-80, and then of course the dx-7/tx81z and all that. love it or hate it...but it did change the game a bit.
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

i have really enjoyed the mks-7. it's tr707+juno 106x3 preset box. I'm not saying it's the best. but it sure is fun.

people say roland can't remake the jp8 and they might be right. but an mks-7 dco-vcf-drumpler seems like it could be pooped out by the thousands at low cost and if put into an mc groove box, would be a neat little 'new' 'retro' device.
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Too many great instruments to choose from, it was the golden age of synths.
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Korg O1w...A great rompler workstation.
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
Korg O1w...A great rompler workstation.
... of the '90s.
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Synthex.
Old 2nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
... of the '90s.
Damn me, my old age and bad memory.
Old 2nd November 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Nice general summary of the 80's (or "eighties" ) there clusterchord.

Of all the phases of 80's music, it's the early 80's (transition from the late 70's) new wave / synth pop that interests me most. I am not a music historian, but for me this period is delineated by the release of Tubeway Army's Replicas (1979) on one end, and the release of the DX7 on the other (1983). So it should come as no surprise that my favorite synths are the Jupiter-4, the Minimoog, the Prophet-5 (10) and the OB-Xa.

In my mind 1983 is like 1066 -- one historical date I will never forget.
I'm with Maisonvague here...

My picks for early 80s would be:

Moog Minimoog
Oberheim OB-X
Roland Jupiter-4
Sequential Prophet-5 rev 2

Mid-Late 80s:

Korg M1
Roland D-50
Yamaha DX7
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Maniac

great thread just what i was looking for... with so many mentions of the yamaha dx7 i've researched it and have found many for sale however my bandmates and myself are a bit concerned about the age of these.... should we be? i'd hate for something to happen and were down for the show, as it will be used often in a working band... it's in budget i like that... is anything new comparable to an eighties synth like this? were doing an 80's cover band covering pop/hair band/top 40 stuff like that.... budget is less than 800, and i'd like to find something used... any suggestions with these criteria?
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Guru

Alesis Fusion has a DX-style FM engine (and a lot of other stuff in there). Alternatively, a Motif ES (or anything else that can handle PLG) with the PLG-DX expansion card. Alternatively, a Yamaha FS1R (but don't try to edit it from the front panel).

A Yamaha TX7 is the desktop version of the DX7 and it has regular buttons instead of membrane ones. Just load up the presets you want/need into it, and it'll do the job and react to MIDI program changes.

Stuff that can break with a DX7: membrane buttons, memory battery (which is easy to replace but results in garbled/scrambled patches), and the fact that the ones you usually find are ridden hard and put up wet.
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Synclavier

I would like an Oberheim OB8 again and a Synclavier.
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono-poly View Post
EDP Wasp
heh, that's a 70s synth.
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadworld View Post
great thread just what i was looking for... with so many mentions of the yamaha dx7 i've researched it and have found many for sale however my bandmates and myself are a bit concerned about the age of these.... should we be? i'd hate for something to happen and were down for the show, as it will be used often in a working band... it's in budget i like that... is anything new comparable to an eighties synth like this? were doing an 80's cover band covering pop/hair band/top 40 stuff like that.... budget is less than 800, and i'd like to find something used... any suggestions with these criteria?
The sound of the 80s is evenly divided between analog, FM, and samplers. DX7s are FM.

The market value for DX7's is low for these reasons:

1) there were 1000s of them made (I recall a figure on 100,000 from somewhere)

2) the concept of FM synthesis is so difficult to grasp that almost every DX7 owner relied on 3rd party sounds rather than creating their own.

3) when they still didn't find 3rd party sounds they liked, they dumped their FM synths.

4) As for the 3rd party sounds, that was 25 years ago. Can you still get them...?

5) while FM did make unique clangorous or organ sounds, it was a limited synthesis technique. It was not a good system for emulating other 80s sounds such as analog or samplers.

There are better synths for your budget. The Nord Lead or Wave is a good place to start.
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Addict

Polys

Elka Synthex. good luck finding one though...

just get a P5. my favorite attainable synth.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

'THE' best 80s synth to have

How about dx1 or dx7 centennial?
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Maniac

i just heard a sweet demo on you tube of the alesis fusion... sounds like it could do 80's all day long...any opinions on this?
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Yamaha Dx7 II FD ( Wow Floppies )
SCI Pro One
SCI Prophet V Rev 3

Roland Jupiter 8

Expander RSF Kobol

Rhodes Polaris

Elka Synthex

But from all the decade, if only one is allowed, I would choose the DX because you can get some venerable analog monsters from the 70's and they're as tasty as the 8s ones.

I also have a D50, one M1 and an Ensoniq thing from this period, all good but tbh I could live and still enjoy life without them.

Nobody mentioned the Vfx. Twas a pretty good synth though imho.

LtZ
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
i just heard a sweet demo on you tube of the alesis fusion... sounds like it could do 80's all day long...any opinions on this?
Nice synth, sounds sweet, but I found doing anything and everything on it a chore. It just wasn't enjoyable, so I sold it.

A lot of functionality for the money though, except a big part of it is a half arsed DAW which is neither use nor ornament.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The DX7 is probably not going to break down for a while. Also you have the newer SY-77 and even some recent FM-stuff from yamaha.

Or if you are a player, use your favourite axe with FM8.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
I am curious to know if you could recognize the organ-ish sound in the bridge for this song.. (UB40 Red Red Wine)
I don't know for sure, but it strikes me as something a Fairlight would do.

I remember my 01/W had that sample in it when I had one.

As for "THE" synths of the 80s... there are far too many of them. Early 80s had a lot of 70s stuff in it (e.g. Minimoog, ARP Odyssey, ARP Solina, Prophet 5) along with the newfangled 80s toys like the Jupiter-8, Juno-6/60, OB-X/Xa/8, Memorymoog, Pro-One. On the digital front there was the Fairlight and Synclavier. The mid-80s brought MIDI and the DX7, PPG, Emulator II, Jupiter-6, MKS-80, JX-8P, Mirage, TX816, Juno 106. The late 80s hits were the DX100, DX7II, D-50, M1.

Of course this isn't an all-inclusive list, but some of the most popular/most used.

For those who want a DX1 or DX5, just get a DX7 and a TX7 and midi them together. You'll get essentially the same thing for a fraction of the $.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search