The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
'THE' best 80s synth to have
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Give me a Prophet 10, a JP-8 and a Korg Trident.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Walker View Post
Give me a Prophet 10, a JP-8 and a Korg Trident.
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

A monster rig!
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear
i'll second the esq-1 as an amazing machine and the current rediculously low prices they sell for ... wow.

for the money the best 80's machines are the esq-1, matrix 1000, akai ax-60, tx802, poly-six, mks-70, and d550. sampler wise the emax II is a lot better than the original emax and probably even the eIII. ssm filters be damned it's primary use is sampling and the emax II had the best balance of clarity and features and price. 12 bit is okay for lo-fi dirty drums and grungy noise scapes but not much else compared to 16 bit. i had the origianl emax and the later emax II and the eIII. the original emax had too small a sample memory to do anything useful multisample wise and not enough clarity for clean strings and bass sounds. the eIII had the clarity but the cost was insane and the cpu onboard meant doing anything to the samples editing wise was a go-get-lunch type of wait. also the digital filters inside the emax II are actually quite good.

no holds barred cost is no object machines the matrix 12 is probably the most versatile synth engined machine and the cs-80 the most expressive playing instrument with the most lush sound.
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

The D-50 is hard to beat. No synth since, especially not from Roland, has ever been able to capture that same magic. Each individual module is pretty crappy but somehow becomes pure genius when put together.
Old 15th November 2009
Nrt
Lives for gear

1 PPG Wave 2.3
2 Oberheim Matrix 12
3 E-MU Emax II
4 Sequential Prophet VS
5 TX-81Z
Old 15th November 2009
Deleted b788fee
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

A monster rig!

New to GS content ...
Old 16th November 2009
PPG Wave
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
This is a specious question. The artist is concerned with the process of creation, the listener...consumption ( although many artists are indeed consumers).

In my instrument decisions I don't care about "distinguishable in a mix", I care about my ability to express through the instrument what I want to express. IOW, how it sounds/feels in the room when I am creating.

Shit at the end of the day, I might not be able to tell the difference between Yo-Yo Ma's cello and a cheap student cello in a mix, but I bet Yo-yo Ma could tell which was which when he's playing.

THAT'S why he plays what he plays. THAT'S why I play what I play. (If I can afford it).
Great argument about virtualization in general.

Now it's our job as engineers to make sure everything the artist is looking for in their instrument when they play is conveyed to the listener in the final product.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

these are the characteristic ones ottomh:
prophet-5/10&ProOne
jupiter-8 & 6
mks 80 & 70/JX-10
OB-any/Matrix any
PPG any
Synclavier
Fairlight(a sampler, but often a synth would be sampled and then played on the fairlight!)
juno 6/60/106
tb-303, tr-707/808/909, sh-101
DX7/TX-rack
M1/T-series
SQ-80
Synthex

right now I have OB-Xa, MKS-70, Juno 6 for my 80's keys. I like the MKS for bread-and-butter, the Juno for arps and the OB for when a track needs to smack you upside the noggin
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

MKS-80.

The best all-rounder. Can do anything from biting basses to dreamy pads.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

My top 3 Digital Synths in the 80s

Roland D-50
Korg M1
Yamaha DX7

My top 3 Analog,
Oberheim Matrix 12
Roland Jupiter 6
Moog Memorymoog
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

i think it depends on what kind of 80s your talking about too
theres "80s" and then theres "eighties"
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
Okay. I am a 70s guy. Would you care to elaborate the difference between the two please? excuse my ignorance.....I can tell there is a spelling difference.
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
i think it depends on what kind of 80s your talking about too
yeah, as a teenager having DX7 and JP8 posters on the wall during 80s, i feel there were three overlapping phases..

the early 80 - 83 synth pop & new wave, with lotta roland sh and jupiter4, system100 and 100m, small moogs, minimoog, prophets, oberheim obx and obxa..and string machines..

mid 80s, with onslaught of first megabuck samplers like Fairlight and EII, a hybrid PPG, Jupiter 8 (it wasn't immediatelly popular after its release in 81 ), and DX7 that was just fkin everywhere for next 2 yrs since its release.

and then the second half of 80s saw rise and much use of cheaper 12 bit, and first 16 bit samplers, i.e. Eii/Eiii/Akai S900/950.. esp for drums.. some new analogs like Xpander, OB8, MKS80, tho analog wastn as big anymore.. and then fresh designs like D50, ESQ-1 etc.

interesting that some boards manufactured in 80s didn't see that much spotlight until the techno/rave/acid explosion in early 90s.. juno106, tb303, jupiter 6 etc.. these are really "90s synths" depending how you look at it.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Okay. I am a 70s guy. Would you care to elaborate the difference between the two please? excuse my ignorance.....I can tell there is a spelling difference.
er clusterchord just explained it way better than i could heh !!!
i could have just put 80s, 80s or 80s.
i dont think theres one sound of the 80s is all, just as there isnt one for the 90s or one for the naughties (or wtvr the feck its called)

everyone should start looking for 90s synths now anyways as this 80s revival cant have too much more legs to it
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post

.. juno106, tb303, jupiter 6 etc.. these are really "90s synths" depending how you look at it.
I would agree to disagree. JD800 baby. THe most underrated Synth.... no?
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
I would agree to disagree. JD800 baby. THe most underrated Synth.... no?
i think you missunderstood.

i didn't imply they are the *only* 90s synths, but that they rather belong to the list of synths that defined the 90s, even tho theyre made in the 80s.

yeah, love both JD's. best digital synth ever. don't think they're that underrated.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
i think you missunderstood.
... rockin!!!! yeah got 3 JD-800s here and 1 JD-990. The 800s with all the cards too love it!!! it's been religion 4 me.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

casio cz series can get some nice sounds, and they pretty cheap. for me alot of it comes down to the fx units the keyboards were treated with.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Whats better? An OB-8 or MAtrix-12 for classic Oberheim sounds? Or would an XPander or better still the Matrix 1000 do the job just as good? Anybody? Also, are there any VST instruments that emulate the OB sounds these days besides OP-Xa (which works best with PCs and not Macs). Thanks!!
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whats better? An OB-8 or MAtrix-12 for classic Oberheim sounds? Or would an XPander or better still the Matrix 1000 do the job just as good? Anybody? Also, are there any VST instruments that emulate the OB sounds these days besides OP-Xa (which works best with PCs and not Macs). Thanks!!
Anybody? Also, I think I am referring to mostly Synths that were sort of early to Mid 80s.new wave with analog and not as much FM...
Old 24th November 2009
OB-XA

is one of most important sounds of that peticular era. so, if not XA, then OB-8 will be the closest you can get to it. Xpander and Matrix 12 are different sounding.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
OB-XA

is one of most important sounds of that peticular era. so, if not XA, then OB-8 will be the closest you can get to it. Xpander and Matrix 12 are different sounding.
Thanks. Please elaborate if possible. Reason being, I have a chance to either purchase a Matrix 12 or an OB8 through a third person. The purpose od the synth would be to do analog, stabs, brass etc. However, I really want that Oberheim tone (especially the Jump like tone). I understand that was an OBXa and the OB8 comes close but would Matrix be able to deliver better? Why is Matrix alot more pricey then?
Old 24th November 2009
Deleted b788fee
I'll agree OB synths are hugely important (though I've never bonded) ... too bad they're so homely ...

If I was so inclined for more vintage analogs, I'd probably go for a Memorymoog if I was feeling frisky ...
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Head

I always dreamt about owning the so called Oberheim "system"...The Obxa, the DSX pre-midi sequencer and the DMX drum machine, so I could rock out like David Frank from The system!

Ive also always wanted to get my hands on a SCI Pro-one....it just looks so bad ass:

Old 24th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Okay. I am going through a 'I wanna buy an 80s Synth' and want to know your thoughts. I currently have, in oldschool stuff, a Juno 106, JX8P, D550 and a TX816. These are my 80s synths. I am curious to know. If you could have 'Any' 80s synth, what would it be and why?
Couldn't do just "one". I've HAD many of them, but there's a few that I let slip away and I'd get one if I could:

Roland Jupiter-8: probably my biggest wet-dream synth as a kid. I have the Arturia now, which keeps me sated. I'm not so much of an audiophile who thinks he can tell drastic differences between the original. I see it as a great sounding synth that's fund to program like the JP-8 was. They sound close enough for you to not be able to tell in recording or performance, only side by side.

Oberheim Matrix 12: I had an opportunity to purchase on a few years ago but it had a dead oscillator and 3 broken keys, and I didn't feel like looking for the parts. After I found out the parts are actually fairly common still, I regret the decision!

SCI Prophet T8 or Prophet 10: My 2nd synth ever was a Pro-One (age ten), and I've had a P600 and even a P2000, but I have a goal to collect ALL of the Prophet line by the time I die. I had an opportunity to buy a T8 for only $1500 WAY back in the 80's but I was short on the cash and had my heart set on a JX-8p (what was I thinking?!?!) so I regrettably bought that instead.

PPG Wave 2.3: I actually DID own one of these a few years ago, and the special thing about it was that it was previously owned by a famous 80's brit pop star (come on, narrow it down to 2 and you've probably got it!). The keybed is notoriously AWFUL and I don't think I'd ever want to put up with that BS again. The good news id there are now 2 companies that supply repair kits for the PPG keybeds, and they don't cost that much money.

Kurzweil K250: Always wanted one, now I have one, and now I want to get rid of it.

Yamaha DX5/DX1: I've collected all of the 6op FM synths by Yamaha except these two and the gold edition DX7, and the silver EX5.

Chroma: Always wanted one until I actually sat down and played one and didn't like the sound. Some people love that ARP sound, I don't care for it.

Fairlight CMI: If I had a fully functioning CMI IIx I'd be in heaven for a few months, and then, like the K250, I'd probably be over it and want to move on. The CMI might be different in that I'd want to keep it around for collector purposes...which was the idea with the 250...but it's not working right and I'm NOT shipping it to Sweetwater and pay twice as much in shipping as the thing is worth.
Old 24th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Pound View Post
I always dreamt about owning the so called Oberheim "system"...The Obxa, the DSX pre-midi sequencer and the DMX drum machine, so I could rock out like David Frank from The system!

Ive also always wanted to get my hands on a SCI Pro-one....it just looks so bad ass:

There's an awesome kit available for the Pro One that looks amazing. They have different types of woods and finishes, and replace the pitch/mod wheels with glowing ones, and the whole unit is placed in a new cabinet, much more attractive and durable than the original.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante01 View Post
Couldn't do just "one". I've HAD many of them, but there's a few that I let slip away and I'd get one if I could:

SCI Prophet T8 or Prophet 10: My 2nd synth ever was a Pro-One (age ten), and I've had a P600 and even a P2000, but I have a goal to collect ALL of the Prophet line by the time I die. I had an opportunity to buy a T8 for only $1500 WAY back in the 80's but I was short on the cash and had my heart set on a JX-8p (what was I thinking?!?!) so I regrettably bought that instead.

Hi
Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate it. I am curious to know. How would you rate the SCI Prophet T8 compared to a Matrix 12 or OB8 or even Jupiter 8? In terms of sounds and how it would sit in a modern mix..
Old 24th November 2009
Deleted b788fee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Pound View Post

There's such a system on the Seattle craigslist for a crazy price ($1,300) ... but I can't get the link to copy for some reason ... Can't be real ... Even I'd probably go for it if I could verify locally ... But I have enough gear for my needs and don't really like flipping ...

http://seattle.***************/see/msg/1480025409.html
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
There's such a system on the Seattle craigslist for a crazy price ($1,300) ... but I can't get the link to copy for some reason ... Can't be real ... Even I'd probably go for it if I could verify locally ... But I have enough gear for my needs and don't really like flipping ...

http://seattle.***************/see/msg/1480025409.html
Awesome. Thanks for the link!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear