The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Samantha Fox
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Samantha Fox

Okay slutz. Let's wake up and talk about Samantha Fox. Really...
I am listening to
Lala Song Player - Touch Me (I Want Your Body) by Samantha Fox

Touch Me (I want to feel your body). Awesome pop song!! imo.

Anyways, what I want to do is to analyze the synths that are playing on it. I think this was in 1986.. THe sounds resemble FM synthesis. Maybe a Roland D50 (not sure if this came out then). But Definitely FM.
I am curious to know what your thoughts are and if you can tell me where each of the sounds came from, in particular the bell like sound, the counter chords etc (is it Stacked Haven from D50??) etc.. Bring it on Slutz!!!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Worked with Her manager and then lover Chris Brough.
Old 14th November 2009
Pip
Lives for gear

Sam f*kz
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
(is it Stacked Haven from D50??)
That's Staccato Heaven, and the D50 was from 1988 . It doesn't sound very sample-based either - I think you could get away with say, a JX8P or something.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Don't know what synth the bass is, but I can get similar sounds on the DX200.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

LOL.. okay. I got the name mixed up but I think it's 'stacked' something or is it fantasia or something? Anyways, I guess D50 is out of the equation. I have a JX8P and definitely its not from that. I am particularly referring to the Bell like sound. Its the sound that comes in the intro as soon as the vocal 'ooh' comes in. There is a similar sound in UB40s Red Red wine.. Anyone?
YouTube - Samantha Fox - Touch Me

Holy cow.. what is this mic she is holding..I know what I wish it was....LOL..
YouTube - Samantha Fox - Touch Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
That's Staccato Heaven, and the D50 was from 1988 . It doesn't sound very sample-based either - I think you could get away with say, a JX8P or something.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I loved the PWL days...

Enjoy.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Very cool article!!! Thanks!!! Sounds like it was all DX7s, Linns, SSL, URIE, Publisons and AMS.. and alot of fun!!! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat View Post
I loved the PWL days...

Enjoy.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

By the way, any thoughts on where the sound I am trying to find out came from? U think it was all DX? Surely there were other synths...
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

106 was mentioned.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

True.. but this sound is more like an organ/pad right OR is it just individually played?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat View Post
106 was mentioned.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'll have to re-visit the track.

FM is pretty versatile. It might just be FM...

Would be cool if S A or W chimed in
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Always preferred this one dont know why

Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Always preferred this one dont know why

I think you prefer it because the song writing is just so accomplished. Thats not to say that Sam Fox's poetic number isn't a very good effort. Its just Sabrina's is just that little bit better.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odey View Post
I think you prefer it because the song writing is just so accomplished. Thats not to say that Sam Fox's poetic number isn't a very good effort. Its just Sabrina's is just that little bit better.

Damn and i thought it was because she had great breasts !
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

yeah, i'd guess that has a bit to do with it as well. the fact that she's constantly falling out of her top doesn't hurt either.

what i can't understand is why anyone would actually want to use/replicate the synth sounds in these tracks.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Is that lint in her bellybutton or just an encoding artifact?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

This track wasn't produced by Stock Aitken Waterman though. I only think "Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now" and perhaps "I Only Wanna Be With You" was produced by SAW. It's an easy mistake to do though, since there is Linndrums and DX all over the place.

Touch Me (I Want Your Body) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My guess is that most of the stuff is DX7-based (or anything other DX/TX that could load the same patches, maybe they had a TX816, or they simply multitracked), the bass, the electric piano and the bells-stuff you're referring to sounds FM to me.

This is partly based on from what I hear when I play the track 50% or 25% of the normal speed (it's easier to distinguish the sounds) and partly based from that the track was recorded in 1985.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Touch Me.... er no thanks, Looks like there may be dangly bits there. Gertcha!

For the era, it may have been SY and TG series.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
The D-50 was from 1987, not 88... the M1 was from '88 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post

For the era, it may have been SY and TG series.
the SY/TG series came out in 1990

and "Touch Me" was 1986

I think I have some info on that production, I'll dig in the magazine collection..
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I believe "Touch me" was produced by Mark Shreeve,which I think is one of the best ,and definitely most underrated, electronic music guys to come ot of the British Isles.
His album "Legion" is a brilliant classic,and a "must" for electronic music freaks.The definite 80's sound.

Cheers

Phaidon
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post

the SY/TG series came out in 1990

SY-1 1974
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Worked with Her manager and then lover Chris Brough.
that's nothing my wife went bowling with jean-michel jarre's son.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Samantha Fox, synthesis provided by one Mr Mark Shreeve of Redshift and, erm, Mark Shreeve fame.

Women with large breasts and electronic music. A combination made in heaven surely.

Pass me more beer.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post

I think I have some info on that production, I'll dig in the magazine collection..
You rock. Thank you!!! I really appreciate it. You know I am curious about that particular sound especially
YouTube - Touch Me (I Want Your Body) - Samantha Fox
at 0.30 as soon as 'oooh' kicks in. its like a bunch of bells but i think its some kinda pad. It also kicks in after each guitar note on the solo at 2:13.. Also what may be the sound of the counter after 'this is the night'. Thanks!!!
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

Ah... those bells, those yummie bells . Wasn't that some Casio? Like the cz5000? I think I remember a preset sounding just like that. But ofcourse any FM synthesis could have done that.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Mark Shreeve is currently in Philly performing with Ian Boddy as the magnificent ARC.

But there is quite a bit of info on how Shreeve came to produce 'Touch Me' in this article...

METAL MACHINE MUSIC
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Sneakypete;4782764]Ah... those bells, those yummie bells . QUOTE] yes those Yummie bells..lol.. hey we all have different tastes right? hehe.. Even UB40 used them. I am unsure if it was casio. I have a CZ101 and its not the thing. Maybe the DX..maybe but is it a bell sound that is played on many notes by a player or just a pad-bell sound (to me it sounds like the latter)....play a chord and boom,..
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I get the impression in those early days of MIDI they layered stuff a lot. It could be a DX with something analogue behind it warming it up.
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Is that lint in her bellybutton or just an encoding artifact?
ha ha ha! That is a hilarious comment.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear