The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam S1X or Focal CMS65 + Sub for Techno / Tech House
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Adam S1X or Focal CMS65 + Sub for Techno / Tech House

I'm about to buy some monitors and will have to buy blind most likely (I know, I know). Just wondering which would be a better bet:
1. The new Adam S1X which are unreviewed but initial reports seem positive.
2. Alternatively the Focal CMS65s which are very well reviewed. I would get the accompanying subwoofer with these.

I produce mostly techno / tech house.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubiedubie View Post
I'm about to buy some monitors and will have to buy blind most likely (I know, I know). Just wondering which would be a better bet:
2. Alternatively the Focal CMS65s which are very well reviewed. I would get the accompanying subwoofer with these.

I would recommend trying out the Focal CMS since I think they are an amazing set of monitors for the dough. The new sub is impressive! I Haven't tried the S1X, but the CMS are sitting right next to S3XH's right now, and when I switch between them, the audio still sounds killer!!!!!!! Now that's a testament!! I would highly recommend checking them out in your own environment.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I love Adam A7´s and I´ve heard they´re a bit more mid forward than the rest of the upper range, but I have them flat and I´m lovin´the sound.

People who say they´re bass light are just silly. They´re NOT hyped in the low end, that´s all. Find the proper spot for them and your ears and there will be plenty of clean subs.

If you have bass traps and the usual room treatment they´re even tighter sounding (duh!). Personally I think the Sub is overkill, but I test my tracks every week playing out.

Bring a new Stimming or Tony Senghore track with you to get yourself smiling when trying them out
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

This is the third or fourth time I've seen a topic like this, and I'd like something explained.

I can understand that certain genres call for the use of a sub if the speakers are too small and don't extend to the lowest of the low end.

However, a monitor speaker is supposed to give you an honest report of your mix. You should be able to discover every flaw, nothing should be polished or hidden.

This concept of honesty and a flat response works for mixing all kinds of music. There are no techno or electro or hiphop or rock monitors.

What am I missing here, or has it simply become a trend to specify the genre just in case?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I make dub/techno and use focal twins. Sub is important for me. Its like a magnifying glass for the bass freqs. I dont "need" it. But I work better with it.
Old 13th November 2009
Oli
Lives for gear

I think the genre is relevant, mainly for the reasons indicated. If one does only ballads, or mix downs of chamber music, the bottom end is not going to be anywhere near as critical as it is for hammering beats.

I think it's also important to be able to enjoy the sounds as you write. Not to say that one should get monitors that are hyped in any way, but I couldn't just use mix cubes for example. I find it tiresome to be missing some range, or have poor definition in critical frequencies. Sometimes there can also be some rude shocks when checking out the sound on a fuller range rig.

I think as there is no perfect monitoring solution, one can't truly think of speakers as simple signal transducers. Also, I think the nature of wave fields, psychoacoustics etc complicates the aim of just producing a speaker with flat frequency and linear phase response.

I'm no expert though.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Many thanks for the comments. I actually went for the CMS50s in the end so I could put some more cash towards synths etc.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Many thanks for the comments. I actually went for the CMS50s in the end so I could put some more cash towards synths etc.
Nah you mean room treatment right?
Old 3rd December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:

How do you find them? I heard them the other day and I liked their clarity and tightnes compared to the CMS 65's.
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Really like them - crisp, clean and musical. No fatigue whatsoever which is. Obviously they don't have much sub bass but that can be resolved with a subwoofer. The only other monitors I've had in the room are the KRK VXT4s and the PMC DB1s. I prefer the Focals to both.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear