The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequencer for electronic Berlin School
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Have on any one tried this ???

Clockwork Vintage Stepsequencer VST WOK

Looks impressive...
Old 8th December 2009
I agree, it looks nice (like hardware with all the functions)
how is latency? how is sync? that is the plus side to hardware or standalone software. That it's very very tight, and (hardware) there's no stepped VC output.
I don't have a PC so you should try it yourself heh

the possibillities of this prototype sequencer have scrambled my poor brain
Tiptop Audio: Z8000 Matrix Sequencer/Programmer on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Addict

I rarely have much to add after Gene has weighed in, but the Schrittmacher's probably my favorite and most effective sequencer when I just want to get a musical idea down and develop it over time. I'm not sure it's the best choice for everything, but is a fairly high scorer across the board wrt to flexiblity and usability. I always point to this post whenever someone expresses interest in the Schrittmacher, because it's still an accurate summary, as far as I know.
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yet another thumbs up for Numerology.

cheers,
Ian
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

I don't know about a "Berlin School" so I may be off base. but I'm really digging the Doepfer MAQ 16/3 right now. for analog sequencing duties.

You can set each of he three sequences to different lengths, different directions, and different cv outputs. Plus the channels can be set to transmit more than just notes. Also transmits midi controllers.

see here:

Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Some years has passed, so I thought I should revive this thread again, since I have still not bought a hardware sequencer. I had pretty much decided to buy the ZEIT sequencer, but as some of you might know, infection music had various problems and it is no longer possible to buy it...

I wonder, in this time since I started this thread, has something new been released ?
I have heard good things about ir cirklon sequencer but it looks kind of digitalish...and not that retro looking...but on the other hand..the function might be very good..

but I also want a more retro looking sequencer, I think this is important... The Zeit sequencer in black and orange would had been amazing...
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

The Quasimidi Polymorph was more or less made for this type of music.
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Nut

Cirklon is a very deep sequencer with a dedicate developer (Collin Fraser). It can easily be the "brain" of your setup with MIDI, USB and CV/gate interfaces.

Hédi K.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

I'd strongly suggest that you look at a Mannikin Schrittmacher. The sequencer in it is far, far more powerful than the polymorph, and it is much easier to use. I think that some of the same people were involved in advising on it that were involved in the polymorph, and also the Doepfer maq.

If what you want is a midi sequencer, modeled on the analog sequencer style, that does multiple sequences, and can go well beyond a strict 'every track must have the same length' format, it's a great machine. tons of modulation options, and great flexibility in per step timing. It falls short of the Cirklon's algorithmic features, and doesn't have any kind of song structure, but a sequencer where you can do everything from simple 4/4 sequences, to self modulating sequences that pretty much never repeat, modulating various things like direction, and even midi channel, this is the one.

I've personally used almost all of them - and as a midi only sequencer, this is by far my personal favorite (over Cirklon and the Octopus, among others).

The do pop up used at good prices also...
Old 21st June 2012
And now for something completely different...

This post is for those who have read the preceeding but will likely never be able to afford any of the gear that has been mentioned. I love early TD & KS, but most of the hardware that has been discussed is out of the question, and I don't use a computer while playing music. Low budget solution: Electribe EA MKII - skip to 2:30 for the serious sequencing to kick in. (The bass is an Akai MiniAK - the EA is simply being used for sequencing, not sound.)

No, you can't really play a 'Tribe like you would a real sequencer, but as I play alone, this isn't an issue as I'm busy with the other bits. On the other hand, you can construct full songs. Just throwing an option out there to those (like me) on a tight budget.

Last edited by tjporter; 21st June 2012 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: to clarify
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Building one would be much cheaper:

Old 22nd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Building one would be much cheaper:

I am not able to build my own sorry...
Old 22nd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
I am not able to build my own sorry...
You can get the SympleSeq ready-made in various formats too: sympleSEQ step sequencer

If the MFOS one appeals you could commission someone to build one for you.
Old 22nd June 2012
Here for the gear

What? No one's mentioned the Dark Time?

Also, Numerology with a Novation Launchpad to control it is a very good option.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear