The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upcoming synths for 2010?
Old 12th November 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Upcoming synths for 2010?

Hi everybody,

I've been thinking about getting a virus ti2 somewhere next year, but was just wondering if anybody has some juicy info on a possible new virus? I don't know the general product-refresh cycle of access, but the ti2 seemed more like a ti1.5, as most of it was the same. Do you guys think 2010 is too soon?

Or are there any other comparable dance synths coming out next year that I should know about? I know this will most likely be a guessing game, but you never know what somebody might have heard an access rep say or something

Thanks in advance!

Nicolas
Old 12th November 2009
  #2
There's a lot of new stuff for the eurorack modular format coming.
Old 12th November 2009
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
dance synths
Just because it comes with a lot of presets geared towards dance doesn't mean that it's a dance synth.

Seriously though, the economy's still not recovered, so the pickings might be slim.
Old 12th November 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
Virus seems to be updated every 3 years or so. My guess is we won't see new products in 2010. The best way to hedge your bet would be to get a TI Snow or a used first-gen. TI. Most other announcements will be made in January at the NAMM show.
Old 12th November 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
jonnypowell's Avatar
 

Sorry, but I can't stand the sound of them.. IMO I'd check out some of the nord stuff.. They sound so much better. We bought a virus snow and have turned it on maybe twice.. The money can be spent better elsewhere.
Old 12th November 2009
  #6
Gear Addict
 
e-smile-z's Avatar
Namm gonna show us...
Old 12th November 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
Why would we need any new synths at all?
For next 500 years I have no chance to explore several analogue, digital and VSTi synths I have to full extent.
When new synth arrive, old becomes forgotten for some time and it starts all over again.
Old 12th November 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 

I have a nordlead 2x already, but it is a bit limited. I heard that the ti2 really is better than the ti because of the extra power, so don't think I'll be going for a first gen.
Old 12th November 2009
  #9
hopefully a prophet 08 rack pe edition and an upgrade package for the regular one

im thinking about getting one but the encoders issue is a bit of a turn off
Old 12th November 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
hopefully a prophet 08 rack pe edition and an upgrade package for the regular one

im thinking about getting one but the encoders issue is a bit of a turn off
Theres already and upgrade pack available for the standard P08
Old 12th November 2009
  #11
Gear Nut
 
Wake's Avatar
 

I know its not new, but I'm really thinking I might get a DSI Poly Evolver

But I just got a Virus Ti2, Tetr4, Microkorg XL and have a Moog Little Phatty enroute to me now.

Can you say Gearslut?
Old 12th November 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
He's talking about the P08 rack, for which there is not yet a Pot Edition upgrade.
Old 12th November 2009
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Theres already and upgrade pack available for the standard P08
yes there is, but not for the rack version
Old 12th November 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
shadowfac's Avatar
 

I don't know about "new" as in "newly released", but I have a long list of stuff I'd like to buy sometime next year:

- Some Yamaha FM synth with a more decent interface (probably SY-77 or SY-99)

- Another dotcom cabinet and assorted modules

- A couple fx boxes

- One or two patchbays

- Some analog drum synth/machine (Vermona DRM-1, maybe)

- Korg Legacy Digital Edition (need those Wavestation sounds back)
Old 13th November 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 
seen-da-sizer's Avatar
 

Waldorf Stromberg, overdue for years now...
Old 13th November 2009
  #16
I wouldn't mind a LinnDrum 2 ....just saying!



.
Old 13th November 2009
  #17
Lives for gear
 
clip6's Avatar
 

MacBeth X-Factor

I'm excited about that unit for some reason.
Old 13th November 2009
  #18
someone mentioned a hartmann neuron pci card to me a couple weeks ago but that was looking like pure vapours atm.. was apparently supposed to come out a couple years ago..?

the only new synth technology i'd like to see is actually working, non-buggy midi sysex communicating between logic, mac osx and old hardware. i've been using mostly midiquest 10 xl but also sounddiver and unisynth and nothing satisfies..
Old 13th November 2009
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwar View Post
someone mentioned a hartmann neuron pci card to me a couple weeks ago but that was looking like pure vapours atm.. was apparently supposed to come out a couple years ago..?
you can forget about that. the company folded, sad but true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwar View Post
the only new synth technology i'd like to see is actually working, non-buggy midi sysex communicating between logic, mac osx and old hardware. i've been using mostly midiquest 10 xl but also sounddiver and unisynth and nothing satisfies..
+1
it's 2009 and it's not just "legacy support" but a crucial application in many pro studios. ridiculous situation really. a gap in the market.
Old 13th November 2009
  #20
Lives for gear
 
CasimirsBlake's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
Waldorf Stromberg, overdue for years now...
If they ever make it... lets hope it's a Blofeld with more oscs and polyphony, better converters, and much more sample RAM.

All I want now is a small box that can do standard VA stuff AND use my own samples. Blofeld is so tempting but ... 60MB RAM isn't enough. :(
Old 13th November 2009
  #21
Lives for gear
 

New machine from Elektron.
Old 13th November 2009
  #22
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Why would we need any new synths at all?
Old ones eventually break

User interface choices that made sense 2 decades ago are hopelessly out of date now.

I'd really like FM to take off again, but it faces 3 problems:
- no realistic sounds (Motif piano, which means the largest group of buyers won't get it)
- by its nature it's not going to be analog, which will cause lots of internet grief
- people still complain about it sounding cheesy and having killed real analog (as if it weren't moving solidly in the direction of DCOs and reduced interfaces already)

To get the most out of FM, with its complex nature - you require a good way of control already. The old hardware is simply ancient and employs ship-in-a-bottle editing. The MIDI processors on the old hardware are anemic and sputter and choke on more than 3 program changes in a row.

The newer hardware still uses the old way of control and is limited at 4 ops.

Effective FM synthesis as explained in Massey's book works with clusters of operators - 2 or 3 in a group - and stresses the importance of starting with simply 2 operators at a time.

Keytracking - immensely powerful - is severely underused because it's hidden - simply not considered vital.

The envelope curves should employ sliders with knobs below them to set the curves and other parameters (hold time, loop points, etc.). Since it's pretty much impossible to emulate the multipoint envelopes in Absynth and FM7 without resorting to a screen, drop the option or make 'm available as a set of templates that can be edited on the synth itself or on a computer, and in that case the sliders and knobs change to a set of generic controls for specific points in the envelope (e.g. you'd create a looping envelope with 4 peaks, and the sliders would control the levels, and the knobs the rate of descent).

The pitch LFO on the DX7 - it's just a single one. Providing more of 'm so you don't have to sacrifice more operators would add more livelyness to the sound - and that's where the value of the 8-op FS1r comes in.

A new interface should reflect these changes, and should provide full control for at least 2 operators - the upper row for 1, 2 and 3, the lower row for 4, 5 and 6 with the operators in the algorithms ordered in such a way that the separate access provides you with a maximum of control (e.g. flipping between 3 operators is on average kept to a minimum). All 6 like on the Jellinghaus programmer is simply too much, and its brutal way of organizing all knobs in a grid doesn't actually give you a better interface simply because it's got lots of knobs.
Old 13th November 2009
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
The pitch LFO on the DX7 - it's just a single one. Providing more of 'm so you don't have to sacrifice more operators would add more livelyness to the sound - and that's where the value of the 8-op FS1r comes in.
This is what I like about my TG33, each of the four voice elements has an independent LFO and it makes all the difference. I'd imagine this is why people get so excited about the TX816 with all that layering going on.

Then there's having the LFOs generated per voice/note rather than globally to the patch, that is something I'd like to have with a new FM synth. Analogue filters to give the sound some depth and dirt would be amazing. They make things too clean these days.
Old 13th November 2009
  #24
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Analogue filters to give the sound some depth and dirt would be amazing. They make things too clean these days.
Yes, but if you want to have a nice polyphony it's going to cost you; 4 times if you want multimode. I'd rather have modeled filters where you can have the choice between clean and dirty. Computing power has increased sufficiently, I think.
Old 13th November 2009
  #25
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
i would like a really cheap multi channel hi/low var freq shelving eq. 10 channels in 1 or 2 ru would be swell. low-end discrete or IC would do the trick.
Old 13th November 2009
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
Hi everybody,

I've been thinking about getting a virus ti2 somewhere next year, but was just wondering if anybody has some juicy info on a possible new virus? I don't know the general product-refresh cycle of access, but the ti2 seemed more like a ti1.5, as most of it was the same. Do you guys think 2010 is too soon?

Or are there any other comparable dance synths coming out next year that I should know about? I know this will most likely be a guessing game, but you never know what somebody might have heard an access rep say or something

Thanks in advance!

Nicolas
i don't buy new gear...




i'm more than happy with the 'old' gear
Old 13th November 2009
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
as if it weren't moving solidly in the direction of DCOs and reduced interfaces already
Citation needed.
Old 14th November 2009
  #28
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Citation needed.
DCO: JX3P. Poly-61. Prophet 600. Moog SL8.

Fewer controls: Oberheim Matrix 6 and Matrix 1000. JX8P. JX10. None of 'm could compete with the DX7s polyphony anyway, and the DX7 provided the final step as it proved that customers were more than willing to do away with the interface. Microprocessor control already had shown its value, and while the idea of editing as a ship in the bottle sounds rather offensive to us now, then it promised far more possibilities without consuming a lot of front-panel real estate and without costing a lot because you had to source various potmeters.

edit: add the Rhodes Chroma (1982!). Even did computer interfacing. How neat! That and Moog's Source was the vanguard. If we imagine for a minute that the DX7 never would've existed, I still think that analogs developing further like the Victorian age into steampunk is probably not how it would've happened.
Old 14th November 2009
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
DCO: JX3P. Poly-61. Prophet 600. Moog SL8.

Fewer controls: Oberheim Matrix 6 and Matrix 1000. JX8P. JX10. None of 'm could compete with the DX7s polyphony anyway, and the DX7 provided the final step as it proved that customers were more than willing to do away with the interface. Microprocessor control already had shown its value, and while the idea of editing as a ship in the bottle sounds rather offensive to us now, then it promised far more possibilities without consuming a lot of front-panel real estate and without costing a lot because you had to source various potmeters.
The Matrix 6, Matrix 1000, JX8P and JX10 all came out years after after the DX7. From my point of view, they were more of a response to the success of the DX7, rather than following some trend concurrently along with the DX.
Old 14th November 2009
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
New machine from Elektron.
Yep. That seems to be it. Winter namm will tell us
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump