The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upcoming synths for 2010?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
DCO: JX3P. Poly-61. Prophet 600. Moog SL8.
The Prophet 600 is a VCO synth. That's part of it's charm. Name one other two VCO per voice synth that sell for under $1K usd.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Guru

Well crap, there goes my hypothesis :( Foot, meet mouth.

The only other contender would probably be a Mono/Poly but that's stretching it.
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Nut

Any rumors about new editions of the Nord Stage EX for Namm?

I've been thinking about buying one recently, but maybe I should hold my horses just another month or two... :-)
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto-bot View Post
The Prophet 600 is a VCO synth. That's part of it's charm. Name one other two VCO per voice synth that sell for under $1K usd.

One would be the MFB Kraftzwerg ... 3 VCO's ...semi modular

(or does it need to be a vintage or a keyboard?)
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
i don't buy new gear...

i'm more than happy with the 'old' gear
but but but, wasn't there one exception? heh

Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto-bot View Post
Well, the Korg Trident is a 2 VCO synth, and can still be had for under a grand, (although its creeping up as time goes by).
Old 25th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
but but but, wasn't there one exception? heh
Damn! You caught me cheating.

Add Andromeda to that.

Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Can only dream that Tom Oberheims reissue of the SEM module inspires him to go further and remake the Oberheim OBX 8 voice

Tangram pads all day long!!!
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Well, the Korg Trident is a 2 VCO synth, and can still be had for under a grand, (although its creeping up as time goes by).
Spectral Audio Neptune 2
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauqq View Post
Can only dream that Tom Oberheims reissue of the SEM module inspires him to go further and remake the Oberheim OBX 8 voice

Are the parts still available to be able to do this? stike
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
Are the parts still available to be able to do this? stike
I'm not 100% sure but I thought the first OBX (not the OBX-a) was based around the SEM module...
I could be mistaken .......
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote from ToneTweakers:
"The circuitry inside the OBX is mainly discrete and is said to be very similar to that of the Oberheim SEM and SEM based synths, namely the 2 Voice, 4 Voice and 8 Voice. Its even closer in design the OB-1. Its the OB-X 's similarities to the older Oberheims which make it more warm sounding than the OBXa and OB8 (which are both CEM based)"

Could be done i think...
Tom if you're reading this??!!!
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
hopefully a prophet 08 rack pe edition and an upgrade package for the regular one
There are more PE upgrade packages coming. I know for sure they're doing an Evolver one
Old 26th November 2009
Quote:

yeah that be out of this phukn world !!!

a new OBX..but with more modulation options, velocity, filter fm and some other goodies. and he should leave the multimode option on the filter circuit. OB-X had a scaled-down SEM filter - with lowpass only.

with all this, you would get a hybrid 8-voice/OBX, on STEROIDS. OB-XXX=MC2+TNT-ON-NITRO

ahh,, one can dream.. or maybe Tom is reading this.. heh

PS "tangram" pads, and "exit" polybrass sounds are the main reasons why i spend several years until i finally hunted down an 8-voice OB-X.

btw, for that tangram pad sound, to get the whole "orchestration".. you also need a rhapsody610 or solina, cause most often they complemented the OBX pad with higher line coming from one of these.. or layered them under OBX.

and franke used a Prophet 5 rev2 for filter and vco fm sweeps fx, pads and brassy stabs ..

oh man, i was obssesed for years - i got most of the analogs from these two phenomenal records.. still looking for a wave2..
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

So in todays money would we be looking at ^$5000 for a OB8/OBX(a)?
Old 26th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
So in todays money would we be looking at ^$5000 for a OB8/OBX(a)?
OBX and 8voice are (arguably) possible to make with todays components, or at least close enough. there are replacemnts for CA3080, that arent identical but close.

however, OBXA and OB8 are completely based on early series of 33xx CEM chips, which stopped being mass produced 25 years ago. so, you cannot start a new model based on unavailable hardware techology.

Tom could make a new synth reminiscent of OBXA/OB8 and its arhitcture, but using some new hardware. but there isnt any proprietary chips series out there that would replace the early CEMs close enough. and soon as you move away from the 100% clone, you have to make a new synth that is good enough on its own merit. that would mean a whole different ball game in features, and everything else - to make the board interesting.

come to think of it, even if CEMs were available, Tom would have to make a bettered design to make it interesting for todays market.. velocity, multimode filter, arpeggiator, multitimbrality.. etc..
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
a new OBX..but with more modulation options, velocity, filter fm and some other goodies. and he should leave the multimode option on the filter circuit. OB-X had a scaled-down SEM filter - with lowpass only.

with all this, you would get a hybrid 8-voice/OBX, on STEROIDS. OB-XXX=MC2+TNT-ON-NITRO
To tell you the truth i'd be happy as a pig in muck if he'd made an exact replica of the OBX 8 voice as it is, but with a velocity/aftertouch keyboard and pots that send midi cc.

No need to trouble him with extra R+D cost for the extras. An OBX is more than fine as it is for "that" sound!!
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
To tell you the truth i'd be happy as a pig in muck if he'd made an exact replica of the OBX 8 voice as it is, but with a velocity/aftertouch keyboard and pots that send midi cc.
+1 No need to add additional sound features. A good MIDI implementation is the only improvement that would be great. Just look how basic the Minimoog is. No mater its simplicity, it never gets old. thumbsup
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

From what i understand Tom meets up with a few of the old synth "legends" Dave Smith, Roger Linn at some coffee meet up, and it was Roger who suggested to Tom to remake the SEM. At first Tom was saying its old design, defunct etc, but he went to Barcelona and a few dance/synth heads really gave Tom the urge to go ahead with it. Less than a year on the SEM come's out.....

I think a remake of the OBX would be amazing!!!! And i for one would be happy to pay big bucks as long as it sounds the same as the original and has update midi spec...

Any point in "pushing" the idea on Tom? He's up for remakes, and the next logical step up from the SEM would be a keyboard of some sort.....

The parts are still around to make such a beast, so it's not an impossible dream...
Old 26th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
I wouldn't mind a LinnDrum 2 ....just saying!

i second that.. the "Boom Chick" project is all but forgotten by DSI. looked promising with the MPC style sequencer, Analog voicing and filtering and direct to disk recording. i haven't seen anything on the website in about a year. any project that combines Dave Smith with Roger Linn has got to be good.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
From what i understand Tom meets up with a few of the old synth "legends" Dave Smith, Roger Linn at some coffee meet up, and it was Roger who suggested to Tom to remake the SEM. At first Tom was saying its old design, defunct etc, but he went to Barcelona and a few dance/synth heads really gave Tom the urge to go ahead with it. Less than a year on the SEM come's out.....

I think a remake of the OBX would be amazing!!!! And i for one would be happy to pay big bucks as long as it sounds the same as the original and has update midi spec...

Any point in "pushing" the idea on Tom? He's up for remakes, and the next logical step up from the SEM would be a keyboard of some sort.....

The parts are still around to make such a beast, so it's not an impossible dream...
I'm hoping!

Old 27th November 2009
Quote:
Given the financial crisis, i don't think this will happen anytime soon. SEM remake is one thing, but OB-X with 8 voices clone completely another thing. I've been spending some time servicing these beasts, there's a lot of discrete stuff inside OB-X. The labour costs would be way too high...
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

i wanna see a new polyphonic moog
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radic View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's stopping you from getting an Andromeda or an Omega? I'd argue that both of those synths are more "Moog" than the MemoryMoog ever was.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radic View Post
me too, as it happens.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
me too, as it happens.
now the rumour mill has some fuel!
Old 28th November 2009
I always look forward to new synths coming out. Then I can read all about how -

- it doesn't sound like a Prophet 5
- the build quality is crap
- it doesn't sound like a Moog
- the bass isn't phat enough
- a Jupiter 8 is better
- the filter sucks
- it doesn't sound like an Oberheim
- the keybed is horrible
- a Yamaha CS80 is better
- what's better, this new synth or a Voyager or a Virus TI?

Old 28th November 2009
based on what they're asking for a taurus the a poly moog would be like $6000
Old 29th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
I always look forward to new synths coming out. Then I can read all about how -

- it doesn't sound like a Prophet 5
- the build quality is crap
- it doesn't sound like a Moog
- the bass isn't phat enough
- a Jupiter 8 is better
- the filter sucks
- it doesn't sound like an Oberheim
- the keybed is horrible
- a Yamaha CS80 is better
- what's better, this new synth or a Voyager or a Virus TI?

you are talking about Prophet 08 , right ??

the descripition is one of most accurate i've seen. well, keybed is nice tho.

sorry, couldn't resist.. heh
Old 29th November 2009
I personally expect something big from Korg at next years winter namm. Could be an Oasys 2. After discontinuing the Oasys this year, just a few days ago they released a big OS update with lots of new AL-1 (their VA) sounds and combi's . Its been 5 years since the Oasys came out, 3 years since the M3, and 4 years since the Radius. With the new release primarily focused on the VA, and with the Radius being low end (I've ignored it) and old at this point, I'll offer some random speculation and say I expect something new on the VA front from Korg. Could be an Oasys 2 that drives that - as it did with the M3 and Radius.

Of course I really have no idea what will happen - ymmv. Their last few winter namm's have been very quiet though, and even with the economy still bad, they need to deliver new products at some point. The Oasys drove their new products for them for the last 5 years, so a new one could happen. Or not :-) .
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear