The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Synth Advice: Roland RS-09 worth buying??
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Synth Advice: Roland RS-09 worth buying??

Hi, i'm pretty new here, wanted to get a quick poll going. i appreciate it mates!

Roland RS-09 I saw some videos on youtube, frankly im impressed for its price range.. but i dont really have space.. so is it worth it?
Old 11th November 2009
Hmm strange as much as I am a Roland slutz I passed one by a few months back. Was like 250$ I think and was the `newer`kind - ya know with the Jupiter 8 style buttons instead of rockers.

Anyway the deal breaker was no external control of any kind so I had to pass.

Also look for the confusigly similar Saturn 09.

Certainly VERY underrated and useful as a 70s style string/organ synth instead of dragging a large ARP around.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

If the price is right, RS09 it's worth buying, imo.

I had one for a couple of weeks recently, a seller lend it to me, and I had some really good time with it. Some mellow classic '70 tones are there.

But, there are just a couple of sounds in there ready to be used;

one is classic string sound, like the high one at the beggining of Equinoxe 4,

the other might be classic "solina strings", with lots o chorus and preety harsh, I don't know how close it comes to the original,

and the third one I liked is tinny "pulse" lead, made with one (or two) element(s) of an organ section, with a vibrato with some delay, really sweet sounding(!).

And that was it. For me, at least, so I decided to return it. If the price was lower, something like 200 euro, for example, I'd took it, but the seller wanted a lot more.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Hmm strange as much as I am a Roland slutz I passed one by a few months back. Was like 250$ I think and was the `newer`kind - ya know with the Jupiter 8 style buttons instead of rockers.

Anyway the deal breaker was no external control of any kind so I had to pass.

Also look for the confusigly similar Saturn 09.

Certainly VERY underrated and useful as a 70s style string/organ synth instead of dragging a large ARP around.

i really do like the sound of the strings

yeah the no external control kinda gets me but I wouldn't mind going old school in terms of recording.

currently its at 125 on ebay i'll probably go high as 250? we'll see. thanks for your input !
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by relis View Post
If the price is right, RS09 it's worth buying, imo.

I had one for a couple of weeks recently, a seller lend it to me, and I had some really good time with it. Some mellow classic '70 tones are there.

But, there are just a couple of sounds in there ready to be used;

one is classic string sound, like the high one at the beggining of Equinoxe 4,

the other might be classic "solina strings", with lots o chorus and preety harsh, I don't know how close it comes to the original,

and the third one I liked is tinny "pulse" lead, made with one (or two) element(s) of an organ section, with a vibrato with some delay, really sweet sounding(!).

And that was it. For me, at least, so I decided to return it. If the price was lower, something like 200 euro, for example, I'd took it, but the seller wanted a lot more.
I saw a video of someone using a electroharmonix phaser with it.. sounded pretty cool!

YouTube - ROLAND RS-09 - OXYGENE / JARRE sound with RS-09 + SMALL STONE

thanks for your input
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

I may pick one up tomorrow for a hundred.
Seeking pads of analog niceness.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

still recommend for some low budget analog options?
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

i had one and remember thinking it was a very limited one-trick pony. it did sound good for what it does though. it's step down divider rather than true polyphonic, but that didn't seem like a big deal.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Well it seems someone offered him more and he took it. Logical, but I wish he would have gave me the chance to match it. Oh well, moving on.

If any kind folk can recommend other "low cost decent analog sound / pads options" ....please do chime in.

Much thanks!
Old 23rd November 2009
imo this one aint on the same level with other more famous Roland's entries in the string machine world.

the tone generator itselft is kinda thin, and the chorus ensemble circuit sounds very electronic, and not organic enough - you kinda pickup on repetition too soon unlike on creamy ensemble circuits on VP330, RS 202/505, Solinas, Lambdas, Elkas, Crumars..etc..

i ve tried and used many string machines, still have kept elka rhapsody610 and eminent solina, and must admit the RS-09 was the thinnest, and probably least usable of the lot. ymmv.

especially since there are boards out there that are still quite cheap, but have the true, elusive string machine sound. i.e. logan string melodyII, elka, crumars.. etc..

im still dreaming of having a crumar multiman s and korg pe2000.. but don't exactly have room for these two i already own..
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Good to know. What would be a step up in the right (analog-creamy) direction while not drifting much from the RS-09 budget?
That is out of the options you suggested? This all started for me in wanting a nice thick beautiful pad that I wasn't hearing in VST options.
Thanks!
Old 24th November 2009
depending on how long/hard you look the prices of these gems vary a lot. except for the few famous ones, with patience, most can be found for cpl of hundred.

any 70s crumar is fantastic (multiman s, performer), logan string melody II also.. elka rhapsody490 are usually very cheap.

i've seen Korg Lambdas sometimes for as low as $350, which is really nothing for what youre getting.. beautiful sound.. its a first class stringer.

arp omnis aren't that well made, lot of them have crapped out and need a lot of work, so i'd stay away for peace of mind.

i think you have many options btwn $250 and $400.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

I was starting to consider a Juno 106 that's available for 350 but would rather find something unique, thick (cool looking doesn't hurt) Not easy to find local I'll bet.

I had a listen. Wow, lambdas, nice one.
Attached Thumbnails
Synth Advice:  Roland RS-09 worth buying??-2943_3.jpg  
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

As an owner of the RS-505, VP330, Solina and Arp Quadra I still think the RS-09 is a very cool little string/organ machine and well worth the little money they go for. It's all over the 1st Talk Talk album(organ and strings). Best recording of it's string sound is 'Funeral Party' by The Cure..sounds amazing. No external control? Pah..how about playing it in like the old days? The Saturn 09 is just an Organ so kind of pointless with the RS-09 around as you get Strings and Organ. Also they are a very convenient live tool if you need to take a String machine out..very light, portable and extremely reliable.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

I may go with an RS-09 if I find one but, The Lambdas does seem more appealing to me though based on a couple you tube sounds.
Maybe better than a Crumar? Not sure. New at the synth stuff.
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Nut

The RS09 is a secret weapon when you combine with the SH09, it's more organic than anything I heard, plus you can insert any sound source into its Ensemble FX and get a really warm spacey effect which is really amazing! ( I am now running my TR808 thru it and it is just awesome!)

Don't worry about no midi, just play it live and edit it in your DAW, that's what an analog string machine meant to be: RAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
As an owner of the RS-505, VP330, Solina and Arp Quadra I still think the RS-09 is a very cool little string/organ machine and well worth the little money they go for. It's all over the 1st Talk Talk album(organ and strings). Best recording of it's string sound is 'Funeral Party' by The Cure..sounds amazing. No external control? Pah..how about playing it in like the old days? The Saturn 09 is just an Organ so kind of pointless with the RS-09 around as you get Strings and Organ. Also they are a very convenient live tool if you need to take a String machine out..very light, portable and extremely reliable.
Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear
I've read something similar about the rs-09/sh-09 pairing. What is it about that combo that makes it special?
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 View Post
I've read something similar about the rs-09/sh-09 pairing. What is it about that combo that makes it special?
When you combine both unit together, you will get a fat organic polyphonic synth using RS09's raw saw as the Oscillator and SH09 filter for processing. The result is very unique which sound much more fatter than my other synths.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear