The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Turntable Scratching - Hardware or VST?
Old 11th November 2009
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Turntable Scratching - Hardware or VST?

Hi I'm a bit confused. I want to do some scratching etc, but I'm not sure which method to use.

I want to do it by hand, so want the hands on experience but where would I get vinyl's that are packed with samples?

Or, can I use a usb turntable to manipulate sounds, a sort of VST implementation?

Hope theres a dj in hell that can help
Old 11th November 2009
  #2
Gear Nut
 

you want a battle record, super duck breaks by the abilist (dj babu) is availalbe on stones throw records, this is my fav

if you want an authentic sound, get a 1200 (ideally a pair) and a mixer with a good cutting in point

you could always use more non traditional ways (cutting up, various geekery) on more traditional samples e.g. aaahh or freeessshh to do a modern take on things

i personally like scratching and then runnig that through loads of effects, comes up with results and sounds that wouldnt be possible through any other means

hope this helps
Old 11th November 2009
  #3
Here for the gear
 

yeah those i've had my eye on, a lot of folk use that - but what about vinyls to scratch? know any good stores?
Old 11th November 2009
  #4
Gear Nut
 

look for battle records in hip hop sections of record shops

you can even get a cd of the complete duck breaks saga if you want to do things digitally
Old 11th November 2009
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Interesting, i'll give that a look, thanks!

you have fun using those ones?
Old 3rd June 2012
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Phoenix- View Post
Interesting, i'll give that a look, thanks!

you have fun using those ones?
well im a dj. have been since 99 its how i got into producing. anyway im oldskool. i spin on technic 1200s with serato and an allen and heath xone 2 02 with a proxfade. if you really want to learn to be a turntablist this is really the only way to go in my opinion. the world certainly doesnt need any more fake djs out there. and as far as battle records go, i would suggest anything by dj rectangle, the super duck breaks is great but very old. Now i make my own battle records in ableton and spin them on my time codes. if you decide to go digital i can send you copys of battle record mp3s from myself and dj rectangle.
Old 3rd June 2012
  #7
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdon View Post
you want a battle record, super duck breaks by the abilist (dj babu) is availalbe on stones throw records, this is my fav

if you want an authentic sound, get a 1200 (ideally a pair) and a mixer with a good cutting in point

you could always use more non traditional ways (cutting up, various geekery) on more traditional samples e.g. aaahh or freeessshh to do a modern take on things

i personally like scratching and then runnig that through loads of effects, comes up with results and sounds that wouldnt be possible through any other means

hope this helps
this too
Old 3rd June 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
The Hamburglar's Avatar
 

The idea of non-hardware scratching makes me laugh and cry.
Old 3rd June 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Spectral Climax's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar View Post
The idea of non-hardware scratching makes me laugh and cry.
me too...it's also funny how many people think that scratching is easy enough to learn...
Old 3rd June 2012
  #10
I would love to get some nice scratch samples, so if you get it done, please share with me I would have the song feature you on the cut!
Old 3rd June 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
anyway im oldskool. i spin on technic 1200s with serato


the words "serato" and "oldschool"" dont belong in the same sentence
Old 3rd June 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
the words "serato" and "oldschool"" dont belong in the same sentence
technically "battle record" is a foul too.
Old 3rd June 2012
  #13
Here for the gear
 

All you really need is a turntable, a mixer and a sound card. Just buy a time coded vinyl for $10 and use some freeware like Mixx or ms pinky's for max/msp then sample your own samples from movies.
Old 3rd June 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
the words "serato" and "oldschool"" dont belong in the same sentence
You say that, but I could name plenty of oldschool people that now use serato, I mean real oldschool, not 1999.

There's no reason you cant just do it with real vinyl and a mixer. If you want the complete solution Traktor is the best choice creatively, just get a couple of 1210 second hand for about Β£300 (easy to get that at that price here anyway)

Traktor has gone way way down in price recently.
Old 3rd June 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Get the DJ Rectangle battle records if you want some classic scratch samples.
Old 3rd June 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgeno View Post
Get the DJ Rectangle battle records if you want some classic scratch samples.
Yeah, those are classic. Simon Harris ones are great too.
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear