The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
eBay scammers strike again -- beware of this Jupiter 8
Old 10th November 2009
eBay scammers strike again -- beware of this Jupiter 8

Damn it I keep seeing this pop up every now and again. Usually it's things like expensive mic pres. On the surface looks okay but there's always this image of text explaining to forget about bidding and just send an email to some gmail address.

In this case it was $1,500 for a Jupiter 8. Come on get real. For some reason it's currently at $4,173.00!

To make matters worse either there really are idiots out there thinking they're getting a Jupiter 8 from this clearly stolen account. Or the fraud seller has many shill bidders to prop up the price, making it appear like it's legitimate.

No links I know but item #390116018451.

I sincerely hope nobody here is bidding on this.

Btw, I have seen that "new" Jupiter 8 photo before. This is a scam, you're not getting a JP-8.
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

So sick of eBay scammers!!! I "bought" a monome 256 from a guy last year on eBay for $2000 that ended up being two packages of printer paper! He was running an insurance fraud scheme through a guy he knew at UPS. I turned him in to the FBI and promptly received all of my money back minus what I was ripped out of for shipping.
Old 10th November 2009
Dude that sucks. Oh well at least it kinda worked out in the end for you.

Evilbay can be such a pain in the ass sometimes In general it works okay just there is always this 'risk' about it.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

why would anyone pay $2000 for a Monome?

regarding the JP-8, i see no text saying to "forget about bidding and contact me". what makes you so sure it's a scam? (the broken picture links sure aren't a good sign though...)

sometimes i think people that toss up paranoid flags about eBay auctions have more issues than the scammers themselves.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

$4000 bids for an item with no actual photos of the item
Old 10th November 2009
Hmm yeah the images are down for some reason now.. it looked more or less like this:

This is a well known hijacked account trick.

Shipping price is waaaay off, goes from selling mostly jewellery to this? No actual pictures of the item in question = scam!

I just hope the real seller can get their account back before it's damaged / defrauded.
Old 10th November 2009
they use a 'photo' with the contact details on instead of normal text to ebay can't auto-detect them.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

ahh, that makes sense. thanks for the clarification.
Old 11th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post

regarding the JP-8, i see no text saying to "forget about bidding and contact me". what makes you so sure it's a scam? (the broken picture links sure aren't a good sign though...)

sometimes i think people that toss up paranoid flags about eBay auctions have more issues than the scammers themselves.
Well considering that a 256 is $1400 (if you can get one of the approximately 100 devices they release per year) I didn't think $2000 was all that bad. $600 to not have to wait another year seemed worth it. In retrospect it was not and I'll have my $1400 stashed away for when the sexy new white LED 256's are announced. Or I could just buy another Lemur....

Or put it toward my front end fund....
Or spend it on 1 $1400 hooker...
Or 10 $140 hookers...

Decisions decisions!!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Look at this guy trying to sell NI FM8 for 19.99 each.

Native Instruments FM8 - eBay (item 290364686056 end time Nov-28-09 07:38:41 PST)

I messaged him asking several questions and he freely admitted that "this is a copy" and that "no copy protection is needed."

I forwarded it on to Ebay as a copyright violation, but they haven't done anything as the listing still exists.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Look at this guy trying to sell NI FM8 for 19.99 each.

Native Instruments FM8 - eBay (item 290364686056 end time Nov-28-09 07:38:41 PST)

I messaged him asking several questions and he freely admitted that "this is a copy" and that "no copy protection is needed."

I forwarded it on to Ebay as a copyright violation, but they haven't done anything as the listing still exists.

People who try to sell cracked software make me sick to my stomach.
Old 11th November 2009
Loser. It`s really bad when they turn a bind eye to outright piracy. That kind of crap should never be allowed.

Eh check out his 150$ `sample loops collection` - probably all stolen as well.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Let's hope he is pulled and busted too! I reported him as the sample library is definitely all copied software. The FM8 deal is too.

I lost my two best gigs due to people like this stealing and reselling our work, one in Sound Design and the other in MP3's with a major artist (basically could no longer afford to keep staff on payroll, when album sales were way down).

It's sad that it happens, I think karma will eventually catch up to people like this, they are nothing more than common thieves.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post

yeah i see this seller quite often... I think he's legit.. but who am i do police...
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm thinking about buying an MPC 2500 off US ebay, but somehow many of the sellers have hardly any feedback. Makes you wonder...
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by username7 View Post
Well considering that a 256 is $1400 (if you can get one of the approximately 100 devices they release per year) I didn't think $2000 was all that bad...
ahh, sorry, i didn't realize the 256 was so much to begin with (and forgot that it was the 16x16 model).

as for the other thing, i think i'd actually go with the 10x $140 hookers. heh if only for some variety...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear