The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Future Retro XS Funny thing?
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Future Retro XS Funny thing?

I have a Future Retro XS on loan at the moment.

Quirky little synth, nice leads and solid clear bass with low background noise.

But one thing is really annoying me, it has this bass thump whenever you hit a note. My Arp Odyssey had this recently and I stripped it down this week and fixed it..... along with some cv tuning issues which kindof fixed themselves lol.

If I use the compressor on the Future Retro it just enhaces the bass pop sound even more. It's so annoying...or I am being really anal.
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

could it be the way you have the envelopes set or is that irrelevant?
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

If I change the attack it goes away, but then so does the attack go away.....great for Oxygen type lead sounds. But for Bass it's no go.

It sounds just like the Filter pump sound I was getting out of the Arp Odyssey. It is a known problem with the Odyssey for sure that is usually one of the things people get them serviced for.

If I go out of the Filter direct out before the main Vca out it stil pumps, so I think it's a by product of the low pass filter on a fast attack :(

Shame, was just wondering if anyone else noticed this?
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

it must just have a wicked fast snappy envelope. my guess is that there is a sweet spot in there to overcome that bass thump.

i'm sure it's a super subtle adjustment or something since you only get so much resolution at the start of the attack knob right?

perhaps it's a calibration issue?
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

i have an XS.

2 things could cause this.

1. the attack is just too fast for this patch. barely.. just barely increase the attack on evelope 2.

if that doesn't fix it then look in the filter modulation section for the "ENV 1" knob. turn this knob to the 12 O Clock position (vertical)
if this knob isn't at the 12 O clock position it will make that pop noise whenever the ADSR settings for envelope 1 (attack,or decay) are rotated fully counter clock wise.

the way the XS is set up is so you can set the filter cutoff where ever you want it and then not have to touch it. the "ENV 1" knob in the filter modulation section tells the synth where you want the cutoff to initiate. so if you turned ENV 1 to the 3 O clock position (the + side) and turned Envelope 1's delay clockwise the patch would play the note at the specified cutoff and delay down to the cutoff freq specified by the cutoff frequency of the filter or Envelope 1's sustain setting.

if that confused you. the manual is available at Future Retro's website.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

What I usually do to overcome OVERLY snappy envelopes that cause a thump (which happens with my JP-6) doesn't involve adjusting the attack.

I sometimes raise the VCF cutoff a bit and lower the ENV amount. This makes the distance the ENV has to travel lower and reduces the thump. Also I increase the decay a touch.. and sometimes even the sustain a touch.

With some synths I have owned I simply drop the VCF cutoff to "0" and forget about it... using the ENV amount to control the VCF cutoff. With my JP-6 the range is just too big to do that. In a synth like the SH-101 the slowest the attack can be is 2 ms.. so it is always just the right amount of snappy. Any slower and it would have a soft snap to it and do terrible bass, any faster and it would be too thumpy like my JP-6 often is.

The hard thing is getting that attack to be 2ms... if that isn't the slightest nudge, i don't know what is! So I just leave it and adjust everything else around it to get good bass.

I am curious of the slope of these envelopes, as I imagine there is a lot to be said about how it effects the snap. I suspect a slight exponential curve that slows it drops a pinch slower at the start of the curve and then speeds up near the end.. would probably have a nice bounce to it. I have a feeling, though, that most envelopes are linear, though I have not looked into it.

I wish they would have added an adjustment for the slope of the envelope in more machines!
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarin View Post
i have an XS.

2 things could cause this.

1. the attack is just too fast for this patch. barely.. just barely increase the attack on evelope 2.

if that doesn't fix it then look in the filter modulation section for the "ENV 1" knob. turn this knob to the 12 O Clock position (vertical)
if this knob isn't at the 12 O clock position it will make that pop noise whenever the ADSR settings for envelope 1 (attack,or decay) are rotated fully counter clock wise.

the way the XS is set up is so you can set the filter cutoff where ever you want it and then not have to touch it. the "ENV 1" knob in the filter modulation section tells the synth where you want the cutoff to initiate. so if you turned ENV 1 to the 3 O clock position (the + side) and turned Envelope 1's delay clockwise the patch would play the note at the specified cutoff and delay down to the cutoff freq specified by the cutoff frequency of the filter or Envelope 1's sustain setting.

if that confused you. the manual is available at Future Retro's website.

Cheers for taking the effort to help.... much appreciated (and to the other posts in this thread).

I understand how the synth works, it's just annoying that I get the nice fast attack electro bass sound going on with this poppig sound. If I follow your example Tsarin I would not be able to get that sound I wanted that it should be able to do.

On the Arp Odyssey it was as simple as me triggering the synth and turning I think it was called something like vca or vcf bias screw on the circuit board. Cleaned the sound up perfectly and kept the awesome snappyness of the Odyssey.

The Future Retro does Excel at lead sounds and Commodore Sidstation type sounds. Wish my old analogs were as noise free as it lol.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I betcha Jered would know.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

On every envelope shape you're having that problem?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

It's probably the nature of the envelopes. They're really fast. However, i notice a slight click on my Doepfer envelope in my modular if set the release all the way down. When i set it at about the 1 position, it goes away. You could always try that?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear