The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
asr-10- mpc 1000- motu- logic how to work?
Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

asr-10- mpc 1000- motu- logic how to work?

Hi, i'm new in the forum from Barcelona, my englihs is not too good but.. i defense.
So, i have an akai mpc1000 and i just buy an Ensoniq ASR-10, i have a motu interface and i work with logic in a mac.
What is the best way to work with all this stuff??
i suppose:
-sampling with the asr-10
-making the drums and sequencing with the akai
-and then going throw the motu to logic
-is this correct??
-and if i sampling a vynil with the asr-10 to pass the sound then to the akai how i do? via record input? via midi?
-and if i play a bass instrument with the asr-10 i also pass then to the akai o i put it directly to the logic via motu?

I want to respect the sound of the ensoniq because i buy it for his filters but im not sure the way i have to work

lot of thanks,
salud
Old 9th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mala gaitix View Post
What is the best way to work with all this stuff??
Any way you would like, there is no rules it's what works best for you.

Quote:
-making the drums and sequencing with the akai
You can sequence the ASR-10, and soft synths in logic from the mpc if you want to work that way as well. I would make sure to have moth the ASR-10 and MPC connected via MIDI to the Mac/Logic so you could use the ASR-10 as a controlling keyboard, and the MPC 's Pads as well. This may require more Midi I/O to you computer.

Audio to your MOTU (not sure what you have)

Again many ways to do this and use this stuff.

Quote:
-and if i sampling a vynil with the asr-10 to pass the sound then to the akai how i do? via record input? via midi?
-and if i play a bass instrument with the asr-10 i also pass then to the akai o i put it directly to the logic via motu?
MID is just digital 1's and 0's simply put it's mostly note on and note off. It expands more than that but for now thats a good explanation.

To sample to either your ASR-10 or the MPC, It may be best to get a DJ mixer with a couple sets of outputs. I have a older one that has monitor and main outs, and you can switch them in and out. Set the table to the DJ mixer's Record player RIAA input, and set the MPC on one output and the ASR-10 on the other. The headphone jack could also work.

Regarding Bass notes... Don't know what MOTU you have so it's had to guess, unless your sampling it on the MPC or sequencing it on the MPC then the MPC is not evolved.

Kaz
Old 24th December 2009
Here for the gear

This is interesting, Im also form Spain and the thing is I am looking forward to buy an ASR-10 but wasn't shure if i could get my sequece's I did with the ASR-10 into some DAW. I guess the only way is to have the S/PDIF option on the ASR-10 (very rare) or just sample in the ASR-10 and then pass it on the MPC (making the rythm with the MPC) and on to the computers DAW. Correct?

Eddy
Old 24th December 2009
Here for the gear

This is something that you will continue to obsess over and have nightmares about for the rest of your music making career. There are so many variations on how to connect and use your gear. What you have said about your setup sounds logical, only remember that the mpc is also a great sampler as well.
Personally, I had trouble with this concept a lot when I first started making electronic music. At one point I had an SP-404, MPC 1000, MicroKorg, Turntable, 12 channel mixer, a firewire interface, and my mac... it drove me completely insane and eventually and I got rid of it all. Now I just use a synth, interface and ableton (occasionally throwing in the kaos pad when I'm feeling "fancy") and this is much more simplistic. I find that the less number of options I have the more I am able to have an enjoyable workflow.
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
This is interesting, Im also form Spain and the thing is I am looking forward to buy an ASR-10 but wasn't shure if i could get my sequece's I did with the ASR-10 into some DAW. I guess the only way is to have the S/PDIF option on the ASR-10 (very rare) or just sample in the ASR-10 and then pass it on the MPC (making the rythm with the MPC) and on to the computers DAW. Correct?

Eddy
I guess you have to understand how midi work. The asr is the sound generator, the mpc's sequencer control the asr via midi. Mpc midi out to asr midi in. Asr analog outs to your audio interface inputs. Basic, but for a newbie, it ask a little brainstorm Now, it's how thousand of peoples work every day.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear