The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Sampler IRs Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

The way old samplers transpose is a big part of their sound and they all did it differently. There's also the built-in limitations that made people use them a certain way e.g. limited polyphony, limited transposition, monophonic outputs, limited memory, bad looping, analogue or early digital filters etc
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
The way old samplers transpose is a big part of their sound and they all did it differently. There's also the built-in limitations that made people use them a certain way e.g. limited polyphony, limited transposition, monophonic outputs, limited memory, bad looping, analogue or early digital filters etc
Agreed. With the sampled IRs we will basically have a response curve of the AD/DA which is actually useful. But it will not make the softsynths sound instantly like good old samplers.
Old 26th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlast View Post
Hey Swan808,

I was also messing around with those IR's you mentioned - if you inspect those thoroughly you'll notice there's a "noise factor" captured - what's the downside of it, IR's are just a "moment" captured, those are too static

What I personally do to recreate (or I'm just hopelessly trying) the sound of old samplers is putting few plugins in chain - one that helps to add distortion, one for a noise factor, the one that does some kind of crosstalk moment that happens in samplers circuitry and the one that's close to frequency response

If you experiment with various plugins each adding a little bit of those factors you can get pretty close to that dirty warm sound we loved about oldschool samplers - not exactly but pretty close IMO

To me, emulation of any analog process won't happen by using just one plugin - you just have to use more and to understand what you have to reconstruct in digital in terms of how's analog signal treated and which factors influence it
which plugins are you using?

The IRs are the first that give that sympathetic freq curve - which I instantly recognised. Although yeah - they are static. I found the 'sampler emulation' plugins to not sound warm at all.
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

IRs

Hi,
do the IRs for colortone pro work in eg. Space designer?
Does anyone have the free IRs from Goldbaby, they're no longer on his site.
I would REALLY like find those.

Cheers,
Old 13th March 2011
Gear maniac

Just as farshad and rockmanrock have said the 'magick' of samplers like the s900 simply isn't in a straight run through of the convertors.

You won't get that 12 bit sound by just running a source into the sampler and using the monitor out either.

To get somewhere close you'd have to use the pitch up 'trick' and sample a pitched up sine sweep, then record the down pitched output - or some version of this process.

Unless someone goes about doing/recreating this process as well as all the other bits n pieces that make up the 12 bit sound then you may as well just get an s900 with a HxC drive fitted - it'll be the actual sound you're after and 11 seconds at max sampling rate is more than useful enough for most tasks
Old 7th April 2013
Gear Head

Is it possible to post the above mentoned IRs?

Im designing a device to Ableton Live (similar to Colortone), and would like to build a large IR library with sampler IRs.
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear

you guys realize that the only thing you can extract from a sampler using an IR is basically its frequency response, right?
Old 7th April 2013
Gear Head

Yeah, but I like to call it : "color" :D
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
you guys realize that the only thing you can extract from a sampler using an IR is basically its frequency response, right?
but still it doesn't sound like strapping an EQ across the signal
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear

right, but you can't extract the non-linear aspects those machines introduce, unless you start doing crazy stuff like dynamic convolution.
Old 7th April 2013
Tuesday Knight
I doubt those IR's downsample your sound either..or 99% of the other things that add flavour when using old samplers.
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear

MPC60IRs.zip
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
right, but you can't extract the non-linear aspects those machines introduce, unless you start doing crazy stuff like dynamic convolution.
True, and I'm sure it doesn't come that close to sounding authentic, but it might be a cool effect. I put an IR of a Studer on the mixbus once, it sounded really exaggerated (not subtle like tape at all) but it did something crazy to the transients and was really great in that context. As I said, didn't sound like an EQ thing at all (ok, part of it did); I'm still trying to grasp what really happens when you process a sound through IR's.
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
Thank you very much!

I saw that some of you have already IRs from Emulator 2, EPS,S-50,Emax.
Maybe Jim Stout?
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

You're really just capturing the response of the anti-aliasing and reconstruction filters, and the overall frequency response of the signal path. If the impulse response actually contains any aliasing or distortion, it will just result in echoes or other unexpected artifacts.

I think it would kinda make more sense to just play around with steep/high order Butterworth, Chebyshev or elliptic filters as a generic sort of anti-alias emulation. You could even put a bitcrusher between two of them to more or less simulate an old AD/DA, as though you were running it through an old effect processor that was just passing the dry signal. This wouldn't be emulating anything in particular, but it's more flexible and less error-prone than attempting to use an impulse response.
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
You're really just capturing the response of the anti-aliasing and reconstruction filters, and the overall frequency response of the signal path. If the impulse response actually contains any aliasing or distortion, it will just result in echoes or other unexpected artifacts.

I think it would kinda make more sense to just play around with steep/high order Butterworth, Chebyshev or elliptic filters as a generic sort of anti-alias emulation. You could even put a bitcrusher between two of them to more or less simulate an old AD/DA, as though you were running it through an old effect processor that was just passing the dry signal. This wouldn't be emulating anything in particular, but it's more flexible and less error-prone than attempting to use an impulse response.
Error is the MOJO of the gear :D:D:D
Old 8th April 2013
Tuesday Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaper View Post
Error is the MOJO of the gear :D:D:D
No, The DA converters, over driving the ins, the algorithms, the circuitry, the chips, the filters and effects are the mojo.
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Knight View Post
No, The DA converters, over driving the ins, the algorithms, the circuitry, the chips, the filters and effects are the mojo.
Hm...

I know how an E-Mu sounds.

A 6400 Ultra was my love for 3 years, I've finished most of my best songs inside that box, but after my son came I have to clean up the studio room, to build the baby room, so I've sold everything and went to software only.

If I have a chance that my channels coud just 90% sounds like that old gear, Ill be happy :D
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have the free IRs from Goldbaby, they're no longer on his site.
I would REALLY like find those.
Me too pleaze!
Old 9th April 2013
Try Nebulas reverbs, i guess because its kernels its not static like IRs....but they are beyond cpu intensive, my quad core couldnt manage one spring reverb instance
Old 10th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRT View Post
Me too pleaze!
Post #42
Old 11th August 2013
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by beany View Post
guy you are awesome!
Old 11th August 2013
Gear Nut
I just tried them on drums, The "Low" file made a very interesting (dare I say "colorful") difference on some breaks I sampled. I will probably be using that all the time. The "Mid" file just made everything sound very dull and lo-fi, might be cool on kick drums or melodic instrument samples. Could def be used to glue certain elements together.

Now I don't want a real MPC60 so bad!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search