The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alesis Ion- Output Problem Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 22nd September 2009
Gear Maniac

Alesis Ion- Output Problem

Hey guys I just got an Alesis Ion after a lot of deliberation. Only had it for a little while and I love it so far but when I hooked it up to my mixer I found the output of the synth to be so quiet in comparison to my other synths (SH 201, MicroQ, Triton). Even with the volume all the way up on the Ion it is still a couple db quiter then the other synths I have. Does anyone have experience with quiet outputs on the Ion? Is it a defective unit or is it just have a low output. Anyway to fix it?
Old 22nd September 2009
Gear Maniac

No one has had this problem?
Old 23rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Haven't had one in a while, but I think I might have had to have the gain for the Ion channel turned up a little more than the rest in order to compete.
Old 23rd September 2009
Gear Maniac

How much is a little bit. With the mixer gain on the ion channel all the way up and and the ion main volume knob all the way I am still having a hard time. Is it possible this synth is really that quiet?
Old 23rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Shaw-t View Post
How much is a little bit. With the mixer gain on the ion channel all the way up and and the ion main volume knob all the way I am still having a hard time. Is it possible this synth is really that quiet?
Yeah, mine wasn't that bad. I'm gonna have to say there may be something wrong with yours.
Old 23rd September 2009
Gear Maniac

Not good news. Alright thank you for your help.
Old 9th October 2009
Gear maniac

Old 9th October 2009
Gear Addict

Well, you probably tried this already but:

Did you check to make sure that the "Part" volume is turned up? This is the knob on the far right side of the board? Also, just check your settings in the "setup". I know, its a silly suggestion. Just tryin' to eliminate a few possible problems.

My Ion doesn't have your volume problem, but it has a few others. Frequent "ghost editing", which the software update did not fix. My part B button is stuck. Often when I fire it up, only two voices will work, and so I have to restart.

Thing is, I love the crap out of the Ion. It sounds great, and the interface is amazing.

I've wondered if I could take it to a tech, and say, "just fix everything and look for stuff that WILL break." But that's just dreaming.

Good luck.
Old 10th October 2009
Gear interested

This is a quite common issue with ION's, the FETs? used to drive the Main Out have an annoying tendancy to die due to Bad design.

When this happens, you need a Mic-Pre to make it sound loud enough to record anything and it obviously sounds noisy as h*ll

I had mine replaced for 75$, but if you're savvy with electronics I've heard you can patch em up yourself for less than 10$
Old 12th October 2009
Gear maniac

I just ordered couple of J111 FETs, 1 euro piece. I guess the FETs in main output are busted, because my AUX output is fine. I suck in soldering, so I'm going to keep them as a backup of the AUX goes dead too.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search