The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
USB Midi Controller, Reason 4.0, & Korg Microkorg DAW Software
Old 22nd September 2009
Gear Nut

USB Midi Controller, Reason 4.0, & Korg Microkorg

I Just bought a microkorg and have reason 4.0, I am looking for a controller to use with reason. I was wondering if I got a controller could I run the microkorg midi into the controller and then the controller USB into reason and play the controller and still access sounds from the microkorg and record in reason with the sounds from the microkorg but using the controller for full sized keys.
Old 22nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Depends on the specific controller's capabilities.
Old 22nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjmyers View Post
Hey Everyone!

I Just bought a microkorg and have reason 4.0, I am looking for a controller to use with reason. I was wondering if I got a controller could I run the microkorg midi into the controller and then the controller USB into reason and play the controller and still access sounds from the microkorg and record in reason with the sounds from the microkorg but using the controller for full sized keys.
Let's break this down a little:

1) You have to connect the controller's MIDI out into the MicroKORG MIDI in jack to play the MicroKORG sounds from your bigger keys.

2) There are several ways to use this configuration to enter MIDI data into Reason, but it depends on which controller/MIDI interface you choose. Your controller may split duplicate MIDI outs between a DIN connector (that goes to the microKORG) and a USB (that goes in the computer), but you have to do some research to find a controller that can do that simultanoeusly.

Another option is to go as described above (big keys controller into microKORG), and then patch the microKORG's MIDI out jack into an inexpensive USB interface (like the M-Audio UNO) and control Reason from that port. That way, you can play the big keys AND rock the microKORG knobs (you do know that the microKORG knobs send out MIDI data that Reason can use, right?)

3) Reason doesn't have an AUDIO-In connector, so you can't use the MicroKORG sounds in Reason. The solution in this case is to rewire Reason into a DAW and work in both realms. The DAW in this case, is recording the output of two instruments: A real one (The MicroKORG) and a virtual one (the Reason rig).

Follow up if you need more details,
++aldo
Old 22nd September 2009
Gear Guru

Also, MIDI is not audio. Repeat it until it is ingrained in your brain.

MIDI is to audio as sheet music to a CD; one tells you what to play but not what it sounds like, the other tells you what it sounds like but not how to play it.

You won't get your MicroKorg's sounds "in Reason" with a MIDI cable, and not with the USB cable either.

Seconding ElMosca's every point; also, the Propellerheads' site has tutorials for all the major sequencers and rewiring Reason into them.

Last edited by Yoozer; 22nd September 2009 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: R3, how did I get this idea.
Old 22nd September 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Is it possible to use the big keys to play the sounds from microkorg into a DAW so that I record what I play with the sounds from the microkorg and then quantize them so they're in perfect time?
Yes. MIDI will go out of the controller, into the computer, which will then repeat it back to the MicroKorg.

Quote:
Also what controller do you recommend for me to buy?
What's your budget as a number of dollars/euros/pounds?

Quote:
Like what I was trying to say is how I would use Rewire and have both running cause I have Pro Tools LE.
ProTools will see to the MIDI duties. Your controller will send the note signals to PTLE, which will treat Reason as a really big software synthesizer thanks to Rewire.

Quote:
Like if I'm recording the microkorg sounds in Pro Tools will it still be midi or would it be audio?
See, this is why you're supposed to repeat it. MIDI is not audio. MIDI is not audio. MIDI is not audio. MIDI is not audio.

So, if you record actual sound, that's audio. Not MIDI.
Old 23rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like what I was trying to say is how I would use Rewire and have both running cause I have Pro Tools LE.

Like if I'm recording the microkorg sounds in Pro Tools will it still be midi or would it be audio?
Like Yoozer said, you need to understand the difference between audio data and midi data in order to become 100% comfortable with your platform.

Also, I cannot advice you on what keyboard controller you should buy. I have used controllers from Novation (liked them a lot), Roland (so-so) and M-Audio (not terribly durable). You should choose one based on your budget and your abilities (do you need all 88 keys? do you need weighted action like piano keys? do you need knobs and sliders to tweak synth parameters in real-time?). I looked in the manual of an inexpensive new controller (the CME M-Key ultra-thin MIDI Keyboard, which sells new for US$99 everywhere) and it supports the notion of hooking up your USB to the computer and the 5-pin DIN connector to the microKORG.

Without knowing more about your situation (what hardware and software you have now), I would set up something like this as follows:

1) Connect your new big keyboard controller MIDI out to microKORG MIDI in.
2) Connect the USB cable on the "new big keyboard controller" to a free USB port on your computer.
3) Connect the main outputs from the microKORG into your computer 's audio interface (whatever you use with Pro Tools: Digi 002, MBox, etc.).
4) Start ProTools LE.
5) In ProTools, create the following tracks:
a. Two stereo audio tracks
b. One stereo auxiliary input
c. A MIDI track (or Instrument track, if running PT 7 or above).
d. A stereo master fader (you should always have one of these).
6) On your PT session's aux track, open the insert menu and select "Plug-Ins->Instrument->Reason (stereo)." Reason should start now.
7) Load up your Reason sounds (from a saved Reason document).

You can now record MIDI events in ProTools (on the MIDI track) or Reason; also, you can record the audio from the microKORG (one stereo audio track) and Reason (the other stereo audio track). One disadvantage with this approach is that you will not be able to use the rotary encoders on the microKORG.

I'm leaving out a ton of details about the routing in PT. Hopefully, the tutorials on Propellerheads website, the Digi user conference, and the PT manual should suffice for your next steps.

Cheers,
++aldo

Last edited by ElMosca; 23rd September 2009 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: precision
Old 23rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see what you're saying now, but is there anyway I could record midi data with the new big key controller and then play it back using sounds from the microkorg and then record the midi data to an audio track so I have the sounds from the microkorg cause then the midi data would become audio thats in perfect time cause I already quantized the midi. If that makes sense

also I have a 003 interface.

-Evan
Hi again.

Your question makes perfect sense and it is the preferred way of working almost universally (i.e. work out your MIDI arrangements, then commit to audio only when you're good and ready and quantized).

There are actually several ways to record MIDI data from your controller and play it back using sounds from the microKORG. The simplest involves the setup I describe in my previous post, and recording the MIDI data (not the audio yet) on the MIDI/Instrument track(s) of your PT session, where you can quantize it, transpose it, and manipulate it in several other ways.

I think that the best way to work all of this out is to proceed in small increments. First order of business is to get your controllers plugged in and recognized by your computer (BTW, is it a PC or a Mac?). Next thing would be to be able to send and receive MIDI data between your controller(s), PT and the microKORG (as well as recording this MIDI data into PT and/or Reason). Next, you should work out how to hear/record the microKORG audio into PT. Finally, learn to bring up Reason as a slave to your PT session and use all this knowledge together to achieve your objectives.

These steps I just described could take you days, weeks or months, depending on how much heads-down work you are able/willing to put into it every day. But it's 100% worth it, because if you do it, you'll be able to open up a new session and play/record music into it with the same ease with which you use your television remote today.

Cheers, and good luck,
++aldo
Old 23rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Alright so lets take the small steps then.

I have a Mac Pro and I guess now I need to pick out a controller lol

is that a good place to start?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on all of this

-Evan

No problem, but re-read the learning steps I wrote above, and also realize that you already have what you need to get started:

Controller - microKORG
Interface - Digi 003
MIDI input - The back of your Digi 003

The rest is in the manuals. Have a crack at it before you buy more gear. It will actually make your purchase decision more clear.

Trust me, it's all in the manuals/tutorials and the time you put in reading them and practicing,
++aldo
Old 4th June 2010
Here for the gear

microkorg > m-audio uno > Logic or reason4

Hi!
I'm a "novice".
I have just bought a microkorg + M-audio uno (midi > USB)
but I don't really understand how to hook up my microkorg to my mac.

I don't understand how logic or reason4 can reconize the microkorg.

could you help me?

Old 5th June 2010
Gear Guru

They don't recognize anything except for your USB MIDI interface. If you're expecting your computer to show "MicroKorg found" - sorry, that's not going to be the case.

First, plug it in and make sure the USB interface's MIDI OUT cable is in your MicroKorg's MIDI IN, and make sure the USB interface's MIDI IN cable is in your MicroKorg's MIDI OUT.

In Reason, go to Edit > Preferences and choose the page "Keyboards and Control Surfaces". Click "Add". Choose with Manufacturer: "Other", and for model, "MIDI Control Keyboard". Choose as MIDI input your M-Audio USB MIDI interface. Click "Find" and play something on the MicroKorg; the computer should recognize something.

No idea how it's done in Logic - but again, your MIDI interface should show up - not your MicroKorg.
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

If you're wanting to use the MicroKorg as a MIDI controller for your Logic sounds all's ya have to do is:

-Plug UNO into the Korg and the computer
-Open Logic and create a "software instrument" track
-Select any instrument/sound/synth you want to make noize with
-Make sure your track(s) are all 'record armed'
-Check your volume levels annnnnnnnnnnd....
-Touch the keys and have fun jamming!

You can make an "external MIDI" track if you just want to send MIDI messages into Logic then tweak them as you see fit, how ever you want! Just another way of getting the MIDI events into the DAW.

Remember, MIDI aint audio!!

If you want to use the sounds that are on your Korg, (I THINK) you need to use the 1/4" OUT and run that into an audio interface or what have you. Of course, there's also TRS-to-USB... if you choose to go that route!

Hope this helped anything at all...

PS - There's probably another way of getting the Korg's sounds into Logic. If there is, I'd love to know so please lemme know I'm a n00b. Correct any/everything!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search