The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland Jupiter 6 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 23rd August 2009
Gear Addict

Roland Jupiter 6

Ok ok ok ok. So I have read that a lot of you guys find that the Jupiter 6 doesn't do bass very well... that it is not so warm... envelopes not very snappy.. and that it doesn't stand up to it's gigantic older brother, the JP8.

madness. total madness. I can't imagine somebody buying this machine and not LOVING it. Maybe I am not the "Aficionado" that some of you fellas are, maybe I haven't owned enough monster synthesizers... but I can't imagine the JP8 being much better. Maybe it has a little more tuning instability and drifts a bit more giving it a more dense sound... what with the frequencies clashing a bit more. But other than that, I just can't fathom this machine sounding better!?!

Don't get me wrong. I love thriller. I would love to own a Jupiter 8. I would love to own a bigger fuzzier monster, like a CS-80 or an Oberheim 8 voice. But god damn, if I DID own I any of the synth titans I admit I am certain that I would still use this JP6.

The resonant band and hi pass filter sounds are SICK... really really damn sick. The resonance screams. The cross mod kills. The amount and scope of the mods in general kill so many of the big names. I find the envelopes no less snappy than my drummers SH-101.. which have highly regarded envelopes. The bass is tight and full. There was a thread a while back about Unison mode being useless... man, not on this machine. The unison is ****ing MASSIVE. The Leads BLAST on this machine.

The only things that could be improved are midi sysex and velocity. But then who complains about lack of midi on the CS-80? Or the Prophet? Thank god for Europa. Maybe I will pick it up in the future.

BTW I scored it for 900 and it is damn neer mint working PERFECTLY. A few TINY scuffs.. some of them I was even able to clean off. It sure is a beauty.

So my opinion. All you Elka Synthex guys... put it up against a JP6 and tell me the Elka is worth 3 or 4 times as much. I doubt it. All you Andromeda guys. well maybe some of you have 16 fingers.. but me, I don't really know any good sounding 16 note chords... and I don't use my toes to play. All you prophet 08 guys. 2 grand on that thing? I payed 900 for my machine and I frankly think that when you compare it to the price of other items.. it is really worth about 3 grand. Anybody who says a two Juno's sounds better than one Jupiter is mad methinks. I mean, I love the Juno's... but I find the JP6 to be a VCO juno with more filter types, more mod, more patch banks, more this.. more that... more this.. ok ok ok. It's more like a more flexible Jupiter 8

I expect in the coming years that the JP6 will go up in price. The people who buy them will love them and keep them and the numbers in circulation will drop. More big names will start using them (like me.. hur hur hur) and more people will hear them and want them.

Yeah... I am now officially a Jupiter 6 devotee.
Old 23rd August 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegjoe857 View Post
But other than that, I just can't fathom this machine sounding better!?!
If you haven't played a JP8 then you can't.

Quote:
BTW I scored it for 900 and it is damn neer mint working PERFECTLY. A few TINY scuffs.. some of them I was even able to clean off. It sure is a beauty.
See, this is what I hate the most. The ridiculous low of the dollar and the fact you can't get 'm here anywhere for less than say, 1200 euros

Quote:
So my opinion. All you Elka Synthex guys... put it up against a JP6 and tell me the Elka is worth 3 or 4 times as much.
Rarity and the Elka's really special.

Quote:
All you Andromeda guys. well maybe some of you have 16 fingers.. but me, I don't really know any good sounding 16 note chords... and I don't use my toes to play.
Two words: multitimbral layering.

Quote:
All you prophet 08 guys. 2 grand on that thing? I payed 900 for my machine
You're an exception, not the rule.

Quote:
I expect in the coming years that the JP6 will go up in price.
Great, now you made it happen. Don Solaris has the same effect on synth prices. Quit saying these things are great! You ruin the still somewhat decent prices for the rest of us.

Congratulations on your new toy, though
Old 23rd August 2009
Gear Addict

geez. In the states they usually aren't less that 1200... maybe 1100 plus shipping and I found THAT to be a lot. I couldn't find one on ebay for that price though... thank god for craigslist. I love it when people don't really know the ebay value of things...

But 1200 EUROS? god damn. how does that translate to US dollar.. sounds scary.

btw... there is multi-timbrel laying in the JP6. But yes, that would make the 16 voices more useful. But then... I usually am only going to need one synth playing chords, and the rest are leads... arpeggios... bass.

I drove 300 miles to get the machine. It would have been worth it to drive more. It's good to know that UPS didn't have a chance to destroy it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
If you haven't played a JP8 then you can't.

See, this is what I hate the most. The ridiculous low of the dollar and the fact you can't get 'm here anywhere for less than say, 1200 euros

Rarity and the Elka's really special.

Two words: multitimbral layering.

You're an exception, not the rule.

Great, now you made it happen. Don Solaris has the same effect on synth prices. Quit saying these things are great! You ruin the still somewhat decent prices for the rest of us.

Congratulations on your new toy, though
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok ok ok ok. So I have read that a lot of you guys find that the Jupiter 6 doesn't do bass very well... that it is not so warm... envelopes not very snappy.. and that it doesn't stand up to it's gigantic older brother, the JP8.

madness. total madness. I can't imagine somebody buying this machine and not LOVING it.

So my opinion. All you Elka Synthex guys... put it up against a JP6 and tell me the Elka is worth 3 or 4 times as much. I doubt it.
Just FWIW - the JP-6 and JP-8 are different machines with different target markets (so to speak). They are complementary, not in competition. It's perfectly OK to love one and not the other, to love both, or to hate both. The Synthex (IMHO) is more of a direct competitor to the JP-8 and not the JP-6.

The featureset of the JP-6 is great for making a lot of cool sounds. When I had 2 JP-6's, I tended to use them for strong lead sounds and special effects type patches more so than pads, although, you can get decent thin to medium weight pads pretty easily out it using the different filter modes and the modulations that are available.

JP-6 competition (for me) tends to be the OB-Xa/8/Xpander, Prophet-5, and to some degree the Akai VX-600, Korg PolySix, and the MemoryMoog. The modern synths (Andromeda, P08) aren't in the same ballpark.

Just 2 cents from a guy that spent a lot of years with these synths.

One other side comment - the vast majority of this old gear we discuss was built to last and to be easily serviced. I just finished doing a clean and calibrate (and electrolytic cap replacement) on a Jupiter-8 and the thing stays in tune after powering up without even needing the 'Tune button. The quality of materials used makes this old gear viable 20, 30 years into their lifespan. The new gear in general does not seem like it has been designed to last that long.
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Addict

Your two cents are great!

You listed a string of gear that I couldn't begin to dream of one day owning... let alone touching! I am 24 years old... still young enough to be naive with my opinions about gear. But I can't really imagine the Synthex being very different from the JP-6 and more like or more of a direct competitor to the JP-8. From what I know of the two synths, the only thing they have in common is both being 8 note poly. Oh, and they are both for rich people only also! But the JP6 and Synthex both have multi-mode filters, extensive modulation, and CEM inside (even though the JP-6 has the roland filters). But the synthex has DCO's, which causes me to question if there is only a "perceived" superiority... because of JJM... or some other reason. I mean, it's true that the Synthex has the most brilliant feature set for ANY of the DCO synths... but it doesn't surpass the Xpander or Matrix-12, so what does it sell for so much more? Sonically I just can't imagine it being worth it's price.

As mentioned, I have never tried ANY of these synths... so my opinions are only worth the articles I have read and the demos I have heard.. and those are largely influenced by the people who wrote and played them.

But I kind of have a strange feeling that if I actually sat down with one of these other mentioned synthesizers... I would NOT be disappointed by their sound... but the price tag that is married to that sound. JP-8's are about 5 or 6 grand, sometimes less maybe. JP-6's tend to be a third that. Is the JP-8 sonically worth MUCH more than twice as much?

I guess I am a very skeptical young kid. I have owned a ton of synthesizers... but I got ALL of them for less than 500, so that gives you an idea of where I have been. All the Korg Poly's and Roland Junos (incl alpha), the JX's, the Akai AX's, Kawai SX's. I have owned many cheap poly synths that can get some work done but are by no means inspiring to play.

I take it back. That Polysix was LUSH and a joy to work with. The Juno 60 sounds hard and I love it. I still have my AX-80 and with it's sick feature set and warm sound, I still love it as well. But these were all under 500 and I always felt afraid of dropping bigger money on synths. But when I hit a brick wall with synthesizers... where I wanted something with knobs, something as lush as the polysix.. but with a much larger feature set... I decided that I had to step into a larger realm of spending (and 900 is a ton for me!). And there are a few machines in that realm that I considered... the cheapest of which was the JP-6 and it also happened to be the one with the sickest feature set... and features that I wanted, like bp and hp filtering.

I would still love to get an Xpander. I kind of feel like it would be an extended version of the JP-6... but for now I will have to stick with the matrix-1000 that my buddy is about to pick up.

It's just a strange and confusing thing, being aware of the prices people pay for these machines. A CS-80 would be amazing and most likely worth EVERY penny if I were Radiohead and had the dough lying around... but the cost alone of keeping it tip top would drive me mad!

Oh, and a side note. At the beginning of the year I bought an ARP Chroma. So I take it back.. I have owned a monster synthesizer before. Problem was that it didn't work and I didn't have the 700+ to get it working again. I probably should have, those keys felt AMAZING. I never got to hear it. I bought it for 200 US$... knowing that I could flip it for 1700 US$ without even fixing it. I sure was right, and I made right about that amount for it. I bought some machines and all my samplers with that money, at the time I felt having 1700 was more useful than investing who knows how much... but having a stunning synth. Who knows if I would have even been able to get it going again!

Anywho, I now have a stunning synth and I couldn't be happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
Just FWIW - the JP-6 and JP-8 are different machines with different target markets (so to speak). They are complementary, not in competition. It's perfectly OK to love one and not the other, to love both, or to hate both. The Synthex (IMHO) is more of a direct competitor to the JP-8 and not the JP-6.

The featureset of the JP-6 is great for making a lot of cool sounds. When I had 2 JP-6's, I tended to use them for strong lead sounds and special effects type patches more so than pads, although, you can get decent thin to medium weight pads pretty easily out it using the different filter modes and the modulations that are available.

JP-6 competition (for me) tends to be the OB-Xa/8/Xpander, Prophet-5, and to some degree the Akai VX-600, Korg PolySix, and the MemoryMoog. The modern synths (Andromeda, P08) aren't in the same ballpark.

Just 2 cents from a guy that spent a lot of years with these synths.

One other side comment - the vast majority of this old gear we discuss was built to last and to be easily serviced. I just finished doing a clean and calibrate (and electrolytic cap replacement) on a Jupiter-8 and the thing stays in tune after powering up without even needing the 'Tune button. The quality of materials used makes this old gear viable 20, 30 years into their lifespan. The new gear in general does not seem like it has been designed to last that long.
Old 24th August 2009
Here for the gear

demo time heh
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Addict

I know. That's what I am thinking... But maybe Yoozer is right and I should let people go on thinking that the JP-6 is an inferior machine than the Synthex, the JP-8, the MKS-80... Hell I even read somebody saying the JX-10 was a better sounding machine!

****ing hell man... C'mon. The others are most definitely debatable.. but god damned. I owned a JX-8P for a while and programmed it with the Kenton Control Freak... I would have to say it is among the worst sounding synthesizers I have ever owned. Down there with the Poly-800.. which at least sounded totally cheesy and had some kitsch factor. If the JX-10 sounds ANYTHNING like the JX-8P.. and I have read they are basically the same.. and somebody is giving it praise.. I know exactly WHO's opinion to ignore. haha.

Well, I am not saying their opinion isn't valid.. it just properly illustrates our obviously different tastes in synthesizer sounds. For ME JX8P=utter crap. I had a ton of soft synths that sounded WAY better than it and MORE analog and I kept asking myself "why is analog better?" I mean... whatever. I will always dislike that machine, what can I say.

Now the JX-3P... that's a cool machine. I don't know why it sells for less than the Juno's. That's kind of wild to me. I find that it sounds just as good as the Juno 106 and it obviously has a much larger feature set. But real time controls count for a lot and I suppose that is the reason why the PG-200 goes for twice the cost of a JX-3P. Hell, I got mine for 75 bucks. Talk about a great sounding machine for a tiny financial dent. I mean, it's not amazing... but it sure can take care of business when you need an extra synth that sounds way better than a 400$ alesis micron.

Damn... I type a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forax View Post
demo time heh
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Precisely I don't understand this as well. JJM and Stevie Wonder are "famous" Elka users but I still can't understand this love affair with the Synthex. Synths seem to come and go like fashion it seems. Actually the Jupiter 8 cannot make those hard ripping sounds like the 6 can.

The Matrix12 is a beast!

Yes sir its unison is the bomb. Probably one of the best I've heard.

The JD-800 is also another 'sleeper' that is gaining popularity. Cold, digital, unique and lots of controls are its assets.

I bucked the crowd and got one, never looking back. All the negative crap is false and half-truths about it are unwarranted. The JP-6 is a underrated quite nice VCO poly. I like it so much that it ends up somewhere on every track I make.

Yoozer, don't feel so bad I got mine for the equivalent of 1000 euro.

One day when prices for Jupiter 8s get a little more reasonable I'll bite but for now the Jupiter 6 is awesome.

Great to hear that you're finally enjoying it. Congratsthumbsup

Quote:
Your two cents are great!

You listed a string of gear that I couldn't begin to dream of one day owning... let alone touching! I am 24 years old... still young enough to be naive with my opinions about gear. But I can't really imagine the Synthex being very different from the JP-6 and more like or more of a direct competitor to the JP-8. From what I know of the two synths, the only thing they have in common is both being 8 note poly. Oh, and they are both for rich people only also! But the JP6 and Synthex both have multi-mode filters, extensive modulation, and CEM inside (even though the JP-6 has the roland filters). But the synthex has DCO's, which causes me to question if there is only a "perceived" superiority... because of JJM... or some other reason. I mean, it's true that the Synthex has the most brilliant feature set for ANY of the DCO synths... but it doesn't surpass the Xpander or Matrix-12, so what does it sell for so much more? Sonically I just can't imagine it being worth it's price.

As mentioned, I have never tried ANY of these synths... so my opinions are only worth the articles I have read and the demos I have heard.. and those are largely influenced by the people who wrote and played them.

But I kind of have a strange feeling that if I actually sat down with one of these other mentioned synthesizers... I would NOT be disappointed by their sound... but the price tag that is married to that sound. JP-8's are about 5 or 6 grand, sometimes less maybe. JP-6's tend to be a third that. Is the JP-8 sonically worth MUCH more than twice as much?

I guess I am a very skeptical young kid. I have owned a ton of synthesizers... but I got ALL of them for less than 500, so that gives you an idea of where I have been. All the Korg Poly's and Roland Junos (incl alpha), the JX's, the Akai AX's, Kawai SX's. I have owned many cheap poly synths that can get some work done but are by no means inspiring to play.

I take it back. That Polysix was LUSH and a joy to work with. The Juno 60 sounds hard and I love it. I still have my AX-80 and with it's sick feature set and warm sound, I still love it as well. But these were all under 500 and I always felt afraid of dropping bigger money on synths. But when I hit a brick wall with synthesizers... where I wanted something with knobs, something as lush as the polysix.. but with a much larger feature set... I decided that I had to step into a larger realm of spending (and 900 is a ton for me!). And there are a few machines in that realm that I considered... the cheapest of which was the JP-6 and it also happened to be the one with the sickest feature set... and features that I wanted, like bp and hp filtering.

I would still love to get an Xpander. I kind of feel like it would be an extended version of the JP-6... but for now I will have to stick with the matrix-1000 that my buddy is about to pick up.

It's just a strange and confusing thing, being aware of the prices people pay for these machines. A CS-80 would be amazing and most likely worth EVERY penny if I were Radiohead and had the dough lying around... but the cost alone of keeping it tip top would drive me mad!

Oh, and a side note. At the beginning of the year I bought an ARP Chroma. So I take it back.. I have owned a monster synthesizer before. Problem was that it didn't work and I didn't have the 700+ to get it working again. I probably should have, those keys felt AMAZING. I never got to hear it. I bought it for 200 US$... knowing that I could flip it for 1700 US$ without even fixing it. I sure was right, and I made right about that amount for it. I bought some machines and all my samplers with that money, at the time I felt having 1700 was more useful than investing who knows how much... but having a stunning synth. Who knows if I would have even been able to get it going again!

Anywho, I now have a stunning synth and I couldn't be happier.
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Addict

Well why not put up a demo.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4zoltmemkmd/Jupiter6Bassand stuffffff.mp3

no EQ. No effects. No compression (save the mp3 compression!) straight into the computer. used nuendo and a delta 1010lt.

So yeah, I programmed a tb-303 type bass line. Well, by that i mean i used portamento... haha. The I played the line into my MPC-60.. looped it.

It starts with a square wave. no PW mod or anything, just a pulse wave and the low pass filter. Mostly I play with the cutoff, resonance, and envelopes and that's it. partway through I bring up the second oscillator. A sawtooth pitched much higher. Let it play a bit. Near the end I changed osc. ones square wave to a sawtooth.

it's true that the resonance can reduce the volume and bass a little bit but I frankly think it sounds fantastic for bass lines. Add a compression or limiter and you won't even notice the volume changes. or just tweak the volume as you tweak the resonance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Precisely I don't understand this as well. JJM and Stevie Wonder are "famous" Elka users but I still can't understand this love affair with the Synthex. Synths seem to come and go like fashion it seems. Actually the Jupiter 8 cannot make those hard ripping sounds like the 6 can.

The Matrix12 is a beast!

Yes sir its unison is the bomb. Probably one of the best I've heard.

The JD-800 is also another 'sleeper' that is gaining popularity. Cold, digital, unique and lots of controls are its assets.

I bucked the crowd and got one, never looking back. All the negative crap is false and half-truths about it are unwarranted. The JP-6 is a underrated quite nice VCO poly. I like it so much that it ends up somewhere on every track I make.

Yoozer, don't feel so bad I got mine for the equivalent of 1000 euro.

One day when prices for Jupiter 8s get a little more reasonable I'll bite but for now the Jupiter 6 is awesome.

Great to hear that you're finally enjoying it. Congratsthumbsup
And yes... I am extremely happy to finally have it in my possession. It was a long time coming. I had decided on it about half a year ago. Before that I wasn't even willing to spend over a grand on a synth... but when I bought the chroma and thought about the possibility of owning a monster synth I kinda got the idea that I was ready to shell out. It's a big deal for me, I guess.
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Until you sit down and play a Synthex, you cannot know. Punching in the various chours settings, playing around with the filter modes, knowing in your heart that there is something digital going on with the oscillators but not caring, playing with the ultra-cool 4 track sequencer (yes - each track can be a different length), and just hearing the sheer bigness and sonic impact of the machine will ultimately convince you why it is so revered.

Various MP3's listened to over headphones/small speakers does not do it justice.

The JP-6 does excel at hard ripping sounds. That is why you would own one.

As an aside - the comments about the JX-10/MKS-70 are unjustified IMHO. If you don't have a bunch of synths for pads, smooth sounds, I'd recommend the MKS-70/PG-800 or the D-550/PG-1000 in a heartbeat.
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Addict

i personally have the opinion that effects generally should be omitted from synthesizers. i mean... it's good to have if you don't own some nice outboard effects.. but IMHO generally companies like roland make GREAT effects and usually the ones they put in their machines are pretty good... but never as good as what is in their racks. So YES chorus on a synth is amazing lush... but just because my JP-6 doesn't have on inside of it doesn't mean i can't pull out lexicon and get some wild lush sounds going (which is what i have actually been doing!)

ALSO i think generally onboard sequencers on synths are for the most part useless for writing music. a good little scratch pad... ok... but mostly its just a little bonus. i have an amazing sequencer with my mpc-60 and frankly any synthesizer i spend some money on that has a sequencer... well i wont get much use out of it.

but i believe that the synthex most definitely sounds huge. i just can't imagine it sounding bigger than my JP-6. I mean... yes, i need to sit down and play one and only THEN will my opinion be somewhat validated. as i said earlier, i am just a VERY skeptical little kid.

oh and about the jx-8p. after going on a synth buying spree and selling it all i settled on the jx8p, juno 60, mg-1, and my akai ax-80. i frankly don't know why i kept the jx8p so long.. i used to sit there trying to program good sounds into it. i hate the way the filters sound... they are so weird... like plastic, but not a good kind of plastic. like the sh-101 sounds like nice and hard plastic that is colorful. the jx sounds like the ****ty plastic they make coke bottles out of. flimsy. crappy.

and there is something really bizarre about the oscillators as well. i just dont favor it is all. i held onto it and used it for a very long time and from the day i got it i never liked it. i hoped i would find some great sounds, but never did. i got it for 90 bucks so it was worth every penny. but knowing that i could get 200 for it i didn't find it worth keeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
Until you sit down and play a Synthex, you cannot know. Punching in the various chours settings, playing around with the filter modes, knowing in your heart that there is something digital going on with the oscillators but not caring, playing with the ultra-cool 4 track sequencer (yes - each track can be a different length), and just hearing the sheer bigness and sonic impact of the machine will ultimately convince you why it is so revered.

Various MP3's listened to over headphones/small speakers does not do it justice.

The JP-6 does excel at hard ripping sounds. That is why you would own one.

As an aside - the comments about the JX-10/MKS-70 are unjustified IMHO. If you don't have a bunch of synths for pads, smooth sounds, I'd recommend the MKS-70/PG-800 or the D-550/PG-1000 in a heartbeat.
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
i personally have the opinion that effects generally should be omitted from synthesizers. i mean... it's good to have if you don't own some nice outboard effects.. but IMHO generally companies like roland make GREAT effects and usually the ones they put in their machines are pretty good... but never as good as what is in their racks. So YES chorus on a synth is amazing lush... but just because my JP-6 doesn't have on inside of it doesn't mean i can't pull out lexicon and get some wild lush sounds going (which is what i have actually been doing!)
See, I do have some decent outboard (Lex 480L, AMS, Eventide, Bricasti, etc) and the Synthex chorus is such an integral part of its sound that i don't consider it a separate effect. Kind of like a Solina String Ensemble or a Freeman String Symphonizer in that regard. The chorus is so lush that you're look around the back for an external input jack so you can use the chorus on other instruments.
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Actually if you want BIG, check the Jupiter 4. It's like two SH-2s stuck together and are poly! Kinda Oberheim.

oldgearguy: I hear ya but I don't have exactly 20$ Logitech monitors, check my sig. There was this low quality video with Will Gregory that featured a Synthex. Besides all those albums.

Besides the chorus I think also another integral sound of the Synthex is its layered strings?

Yep the D550 is a cool box. Have the D110 and love its pad sounds.
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Vintage synths are the new fashion must have. Its like a purse. It makes me laugh.

Enjoy that JP6, no matter what anyone else says. Their great synths.
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Addict

**** yeah, i am gonna enjoy it. what people say about it began to not matter to me REAL quickly. there are two SOS articles i have read about it. one calls it the cripple of the jupiter family, basically... and the other is nothing but praise and says it sounds just as good as the JP8. neither article i can take seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Vintage synths are the new fashion must have. Its like a purse. It makes me laugh.

Enjoy that JP6, no matter what anyone else says. Their great synths.
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

here's my jupiter 6 story: last week I saw one on craigslist for $400 with a hardcase -- guy listed a phone # and said he was moving and needed to sell it within the hour. I told him I would take it for $300. He said "ok, just get here before everyone else cause I've gotten a lot of responses".

I skateboarded all around the city, got a check from a friend, skated to the bank, cashed it, made it over to dude's spot in 30 minutes (90 degree weather, sweating balls, had just woken up, no food, etc). As soon as I arrived, I saw somebody walking out with the thing. Dreams crushed.

Incredibly disappointed and sweaty, I headed home, tired. Didn't think my day could get any worse. Decided to hop on my skateboard after getting off the subway--I had no energy to walk. Two cops jumped out, arrested me, booked me, and I got locked up for 25 hrs. Friday 5 pm - Saturday 6 pm central bookings.

Got home around 8 pm, on 0 sleep, hopped in the shower, wet out to an awesome party and met somebody that night who, the next day, brought over their Sh-101 and juno60, both in perfect condition, and they're still here sitting right next to me in my studio.

Crazy synth karma. I still don't know what to make of all of this but it's truly amazing to have both of these synths, and a new talented producer to work with. Strange though. And I still want that damn jupiter 6.
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Addict

jail for skateboarding? that blows.. you need to get out of that oppressive ass city.

but yeah. that story sucks man. that's way to cheap to let that thing go for. WAY to cheap. i bet the jerk off who scored it owns 4 of them too. But yeah, that SH and Juno should do you some good. Those are great little machines with a lot of possibilities in em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstu102 View Post
here's my jupiter 6 story: last week I saw one on craigslist for $400 with a hardcase -- guy listed a phone # and said he was moving and needed to sell it within the hour. I told him I would take it for $300. He said "ok, just get here before everyone else cause I've gotten a lot of responses".

I skateboarded all around the city, got a check from a friend, skated to the bank, cashed it, made it over to dude's spot in 30 minutes (90 degree weather, sweating balls, had just woken up, no food, etc). As soon as I arrived, I saw somebody walking out with the thing. Dreams crushed.

Incredibly disappointed and sweaty, I headed home, tired. Didn't think my day could get any worse. Decided to hop on my skateboard after getting off the subway--I had no energy to walk. Two cops jumped out, arrested me, booked me, and I got locked up for 25 hrs. Friday 5 pm - Saturday 6 pm central bookings.

Got home around 8 pm, on 0 sleep, hopped in the shower, wet out to an awesome party and met somebody that night who, the next day, brought over their Sh-101 and juno60, both in perfect condition, and they're still here sitting right next to me in my studio.

Crazy synth karma. I still don't know what to make of all of this but it's truly amazing to have both of these synths, and a new talented producer to work with. Strange though. And I still want that damn jupiter 6.
Old 24th August 2009
Quote:

cant believe Police locked you up for 25 hours for skateboarding. That would never happen in the UK. Just out of interest - where were you in Brooklyn? I lived in Park Slope for a couple of months...
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Vintage synths are the new fashion must have.
What kind of a bizarro universe is this where you call it a "new" fashion must-have? I don't know about your planet, but these things have been rising in price since early 2000's or so, appear in a lot of studios, are offered only rarely - and are always snagged up within a few days of posting.

Could be that there's a ****load more Jupiter 6s in the states, though, but still.
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

For most synths it seems that way. Most of mine come from there (advantage of being just north); the rest are from France and England.

Jupiter 6s are harder to find than JP-8s. Only the asking price is the deterrent. I paid 'extra' because eBay was dry from them for more than two months.

Extra story: Browsing Montreal and Toronto CL for Jupiters, saw a JP-8 advert for 400$ posted within 10mins of my search. Immediately responded to receive a response that he was not willing to deal with me as I was from Montreal. 5mins later he said it sold for 3k!

Europe (esp. UK) actually has a lot more really great mixing desks than the states. Old Soundcraft, DDA, Soundtracs, A&H, etc are soooo easy to find there. Here I'm lucky to find Mackies or newer live Soundcrafts. Mind you I did find a seller in town who had a Soundtracs CM4400 that I regrettably turned down due to available space.

That or nobody is selling theirs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
What kind of a bizarro universe is this where you call it a "new" fashion must-have? I don't know about your planet, but these things have been rising in price since early 2000's or so, appear in a lot of studios, are offered only rarely - and are always snagged up within a few days of posting.

Could be that there's a ****load more Jupiter 6s in the states, though, but still.
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Great story!..excitement..heartbreak..jail..and a happy ending.

..all you need is a little sex..(maybe the 'sweating balls' bit could be developed to cover that.....or you could get bummed in jail..)...and you've got the first synth-shopping-based box office smash!!!

Quote:

Old 24th August 2009
sheesh!

I do think the Jupiter 6 is a tight synth - but Im not sure everybody will be worshipping it to the same verbose and fundamental extent...it is a matter of taste rather than fact.

It does have a great feature set - especially with the Europa - however some find it to be thinner and more harsh that the American Polys. I had an MKS80 and I thought it was a jolly nice workhorse analogue. However it didnt have that soul and vibe that a Prophet/OB/J8 has. It could be programmed to make warm sounds - but relative sounds on the above synths are warmer and thicker. I have to make the obligatory mention of its Unison feature also - which is phat.

However granted it is certainly a step up from the cheap analogue polys - many of which I have also tried in order to not spend $$$$...and it has its own style and awesome looks - so if you like analogue sounds which are more s***** and cutting - the Jupiter 6 is a great buy.

Pretty good envelopes tho for an 80s digital implementation. If only The Prophet 600 or Matrix 1000 had those they would be much more usable.
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Hate to be contrary but I found the Prophet 5 overrated, muddy and hard to mix. Had a rev 3 years ago.

p.s. am I the only one who thinks this looks ugly?

Their Matrix 12 looks awesome though:
Old 24th August 2009
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Old 24th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I do think the Jupiter 6 is a tight synth - but Im not sure everybody will be worshipping it to the same verbose and fundamental extent...it is a matter of taste rather than fact.
i like having mine around.
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Addict

I think the notion of referring to certain notions about synthesizers as "FACT" is an interesting notion. I mean, I cannot deny that there are TONS of very common trains of thought. Yes, there are ALWAYS exceptions to rules... but it is true that some things SEEM almost undeniable.

Prophet 5, Jupiter 8, OB X, CS 80, Chroma, Matrix 12, Synthex, and Memorymoog.

A shortlist of the monster poly synths, forgive me if I missed one.

If I could own ANY of these machines there is no doubt that I would take up the opportunity. I would use the **** out of them. Perhaps one is better for techno, the other for house, electro, rock, disco, funk, ambient. They all serve some purpose and do that job without hesitation.

The best? Depends on what you like and what you want to do with it.

The thing that is interesting to me, though, is the JP-6 in this scenario.

I considered getting a Prophet 600 and/or a monopoly. I loved the polysix I used to own. But I didn't get either because I wanted something that would blow my mind and I figured the JP-6 would deliver.

I knew I would love the P600 or Monopoly. I felt, though, that against the JP-6 it would be incomparable. When hearing it, I found that I was right.

But then why do Prophet-600's go for 800 and 900? Yet the JP-6 is FAR superior. Again, this is depateble. Monopoly for 800-1100? When I wanted it, they still went for like 600 or 700... but damn... the JP-6 goes for 1100 some times! Different ball park, yet their values intersect somehow.

And the Juno's confuse me. If everybody who had a Juno 60 and a Juno 6... or something equal value... they could most likely sell both and get a Jupiter 6. I don't know why more people aren't doing this?! don't get me wrong, I LOVE the sound of the Juno's... but put them next to a JP-6... NO WAY! NO ****ING WAY! Again... debatable. But REALLY have you HEARD the JP-6... because I am READY to debate this one! I have owned both the juno 60 and 106. NO WAY. haha.

And the other thing I find funny is that when I see people's gear lists... people with tons of gear...

they'll have the MKS-80 (both revs!) the JP-8, Juno 60, 106, 6. JX-8P, JX-3P, MKS 7, 30, 50, 70, 80.

But nowhere on that list is the JP-6. It's almost like it is hated! I have never heard anything giving me the impression that the MKS-80 sounds better than the JP-6. Most likely different, yes... velocity is dope and all. But you guys can keep your velocity, and I will take my Multi-mode filter... to me that is FAR more useful.

I mean... sonically I find it to be worth 3000... the price the JP-6 started at in the 80's. I think it is WORTH that. It goes for MUCH less than that, which is great... but I think perhaps it OUGHT to be going for more. maybe 1800. It is fantastic for some of us that it aint.

I have this gear ranting problem. I need to stop it and just enjoy my machine and let people enjoy theirs...
Old 24th August 2009
Quote:
sonically I find it to be worth 3000.
i scored mine for $25
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Addict

Ah, yes. I think I read about that one. A trade for an item you got for 25$. Amazing score! I payed for mine with financial aid money! So the way I feel about it is that my school gave me a JP-6 and 1100 bucks.. payed for my classes... So long as I stay in school this semester... NO BRAINER "yes USA I will go to school.. give me the JP-6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
i scored mine for $25
Old 24th August 2009
also from a school! that seems to be a good place to score them.

Quote:
Ah, yes. I think I read about that one. A trade for an item you got for 25$. Amazing score! I payed for mine with financial aid money! So the way I feel about it is that my school gave me a JP-6 and 1100 bucks.. payed for my classes... So long as I stay in school this semester... NO BRAINER "yes USA I will go to school.. give me the JP-6"
Old 24th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
i scored mine for $25
never has that emotion been used more appropriately...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search