The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland JV1080 vs. XV5050
Old 7th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Don, are you saying that the SRX-06 "Complete Orchestra" (which Roland say contains all the waveforms from SR-JV80-02 "Orchestral" + SR-JV80-16 "Orchestral II") is not data compressed? So all the waveforms from those SR-JV boards are ported over at 44.1 without the compression?
Don't know about compression (knowing Roland, probably is). However i've heard from SRX owners they reported more clearer sound - that would indicate 44.1k.
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

5080 is more cleaner sounds. Personaly i feel the 5080 is the best from JV/XV line. +1 for the xv-5080
Old 9th January 2010
Gear Maniac

As an owner of 5080 I can only say it's one of the most useful synths you can find around. Propably never the best one, but everytime I turn it on I use it for this or that. Even if you're not a syth genius you can tweak the patches to match your need (sometimes just changing the fx does the job).
I used to work with 1080 a lot and though the idea of the synth is very similar, as soon as you turn on the 5080 it becomes clear that Roland made a homework well...
You really can't go wrong with this box. If you buy some additional SRs or SRXs you'll get a real workhorse. And well... if you're after smth like realistic pianos or strings check out soft samplers eg. Kontakt. Neither jv/xv will do it well enough. But it's out of topic...
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
No to both questions.
it does now
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Interested to see if the replies here would change in relation to the new Roland Cloud offer. Anyone know how different the 1080/5080 sound on the cloud to the hardware?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

When the cloud 1080 came out I did get my 5080 out and with the 5080 digital outs I couldn’t tell the difference between them. The 1080 cloud version is in essence the engine of a 5080 with some Fantom FX.

The issue with the cloud 5080 & the hardware is there are some differences in the FX sections. The cloud version looses a few and gains some others. Does it really matter? Depends on your point of view.

Personally I’d like them to be identical and to allow for sysex import of patches. Somehow I doubt they will change that though.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsauca View Post
When the cloud 1080 came out I did get my 5080 out and with the 5080 digital outs I couldn’t tell the difference between them. The 1080 cloud version is in essence the engine of a 5080 with some Fantom FX.

The issue with the cloud 5080 & the hardware is there are some differences in the FX sections. The cloud version looses a few and gains some others. Does it really matter? Depends on your point of view.

Personally I’d like them to be identical and to allow for sysex import of patches. Somehow I doubt they will change that though.
Fascinating and great to know, thanks.

I've just been looking at 5080's on eBay this morning, then I found the Roland Cloud.

I've just booted up 4 old synths from 20 years ago and paid a chunk of money on a Focusrite 18i20 so I can hook them all up and into Logic. Adding a 5th piece of hardware means buying an Octo Pre and hooking it into the 18i20 for the extra inputs. I think now I'll plump for the Cloud subscription.

I agree on the software implementation being identical to the hardware - it really should be.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheStairs View Post

I've just been looking at 5080's on eBay this morning, then I found the Roland Cloud.

I've just booted up 4 old synths from 20 years ago and paid a chunk of money on a Focusrite 18i20 so I can hook them all up and into Logic. Adding a 5th piece of hardware means buying an Octo Pre and hooking it into the 18i20 for the extra inputs. I think now I'll plump for the Cloud subscription.

I agree on the software implementation being identical to the hardware - it really should be.

NP. I think you’ll be happy with that. I think the 1080 hardware sounds a bit different to the cloud though. I had a 2080 back in the 90s but that’s too long ago for me to be objective.

From what I’ve heard, the 1080 hardware has a darker sound overall. But the convenience of the cloud is there and how much a difference really makes after mixing etc is debatable.

The 5080 hardware & 1080/5080 plugins are certainly the same engine plus/minus the effects differences mentioned previously.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
NP. I think you’ll be happy with that. I think the 1080 hardware sounds a bit different to the cloud though. I had a 2080 back in the 90s but that’s too long ago for me to be objective.

From what I’ve heard, the 1080 hardware has a darker sound overall. But the convenience of the cloud is there and how much a difference really makes after mixing etc is debatable.

The 5080 hardware & 1080/5080 plugins are certainly the same engine plus/minus the effects differences mentioned previously.
Cool, thanks.

Yes I agree re the difference being debatable after a mix - has to be impossible to quantify.

One of my old synths is a JV1010 with the '60's and 70's keyboards' expansion board - so I'll be able to compare myself I guess.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interested to see if the replies here would change in relation to the new Roland Cloud offer. Anyone know how different the 1080/5080 sound on the cloud to the hardware?
The cloud 1080 is really a 5080 emulation with a 1080 skin. The 1080 cloud really does not sound like the hardware, similar yes but not the same

If that actually matters to you is a question only you can answer

To me it does and I love the JV-1080 so I have the hardware well three of them actually
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
The cloud 1080 is really a 5080 emulation with a 1080 skin. The 1080 cloud really does not sound like the hardware, similar yes but not the same

If that actually matters to you is a question only you can answer

To me it does and I love the JV-1080 so I have the hardware well three of them actually
Thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately I've never owned the 1080, only the 1010 which is the 1080 (and 2080) in a half rack and apparently at a slightly lower audio resolution. To me the 1010 sounds incredible. But yes it would matter if the difference was marked. I'll get the 30 day trial on the Roland Cloud and compare.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately I've never owned the 1080, only the 1010 which is the 1080 (and 2080) in a half rack and apparently at a slightly lower audio resolution. To me the 1010 sounds incredible. But yes it would matter if the difference was marked. I'll get the 30 day trial on the Roland Cloud and compare.
I have a 1010 also. The biggest difference you will find with the Cloud version is the samples are at a higher resolution which makes them brighter. The reverbs and other effects are also quite different

To me the effects are a big deal with all the Roland JV&XV line and makes all of them unique. It's why I have all of them
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have a 1010 also. The biggest difference you will find with the Cloud version is the samples are at a higher resolution which makes them brighter. The reverbs and other effects are also quite different

To me the effects are a big deal with all the Roland JV&XV line and makes all of them unique. It's why I have all of them
Sure, totally understand. The FX are an important part of the sound.

Re the 1010 - how are you using it? Do you use an external editor?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Interesting observations! So is the 1080 allure the darker tonal characteristics, coupled with the FX? My understanding (although may be inaccurate) is that later JVs and definitely XVs are “brighter” sounding and loose some of the organic nature of the original 1080.

I seem to remember the the 1080/XP-50 stood alone with that tonal signature.

I still eye up a 1080 from time to to time!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure, totally understand. The FX are an important part of the sound.

Re the 1010 - how are you using it? Do you use an external editor?
I mainly use it as a preset box. I use both MIDI Quest and Patchbase for all my JV and XV synths the 1010 included

However I have all of them fully expanded with cards and will go to a certain unit to program a sound I have in mind. I have the first "experience" card in my 1010. That along with the built in session card and all the presets in the stock rom make it a great go to synth for JV presets
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I mainly use it as a preset box. I use both MIDI Quest and Patchbase for all my JV and XV synths the 1010 included

However I have all of them fully expanded with cards and will go to a certain unit to program a sound I have in mind. I have the first "experience" card in my 1010. That along with the built in session card and all the presets in the stock rom make it a great go to synth for JV presets
Yes I've read about Midi quest but it's mostly been how bad it is, crashing etc.

I found an editor called CTRL JV-XP Editor that looks ok though I've not used it properly yet. But yes, the patches are so good that you can just use them as they are in a lot of cases, especially the electric pianos..
Old 1 week ago
When designing factory patches for the Roland cloud JV-1080 I had to record demos. These obviously required drums, so i took the 1080 cloud to add some drums and they just sounded thin and hollow. So i loaded my hardware 1080 samples into Logic sampler and Bam! they sat in the mix perfectly, and exactly as I remember them, punchy and characterfull. Heads and shoulders above cloud 1080 drums. I still like the extra features of the cloud. They more than compensate for the sonic difference.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
When designing factory patches for the Roland cloud JV-1080 I had to record demos. These obviously required drums, so i took the 1080 cloud to add some drums and they just sounded thin and hollow. So i loaded my hardware 1080 samples into Logic sampler and Bam! they sat in the mix perfectly, and exactly as I remember them, punchy and characterfull. Heads and shoulders above cloud 1080 drums. I still like the extra features of the cloud. They more than compensate for the sonic difference.
Thanks, looking forward to comparing my 1010 with the Cloud 1080. Will be interesting to hear the difference.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting observations! So is the 1080 allure the darker tonal characteristics, coupled with the FX? My understanding (although may be inaccurate) is that later JVs and definitely XVs are “brighter” sounding and loose some of the organic nature of the original 1080.

I seem to remember the the 1080/XP-50 stood alone with that tonal signature.

I still eye up a 1080 from time to to time!
Yes the 1080 has a darker sound that is kind of lofi yet kind of hifi at the same time. Especially with the early 90s reverbs

You lose that with the XV models but in return you get the SRV reverbs. They are really nice so it's a whole different thing. Using the Hexa Chorus or Dimension D Chorus on a lush pad into the SRV verbs is sweet

On the cloud they have replaced the SRV reverbs with something else. They sound good but remind me of the generic reverbs that come with your DAW of course since it's a VST you can use any reverb you like

The other big thing you don't get with the cloud is the ability to load the JV cards which is a real shame

Roland should actually model the Jv1080 and the effects then make all the expansion roms available inside it
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
No to both questions.
Well this post didn’t age well.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

I’m paying for the Roland Cloud, and I like it. Lots of great sounding plugins, but they now set things up so you can buy individual plugins, if you choose to.

I’ve owned GR33s (based on the 1080) and an XV-5050. I’m in a different place now, synthesis wise, but it was nice to see the new plugins. I’m not a stickler for accuracy, but when I went though the presets I recognized a bunch of them that I used to use in my sets. Close enough for me. I should also say that due to the fact that I’m now never alone in the house (never... ever... ) I’ve only used the software with decent headphones and I mostly used my monitors when I had an XV-5050. It’s nice to have that flavor from time to time.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Roland should actually model the Jv1080 and the effects then make all the expansion roms available inside it
Unfortunately not going to happen. At this stage they do not have plans to recreate JV-1080 engine cloud version. The existing one is based on engine that is closer to Integra, than original JV. While some of the presets that use samples sound similar, those that rely on synth engine sound different. Cloud JV-1080 is soundwise equal to cloud XV-5080, it just uses different skin. Their both DNA root is somewhere in the Roland Integra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Well this post didn’t age well.
Almost.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately not going to happen. At this stage they do not have plans to recreate JV-1080 engine cloud version. The existing one is based on engine that is closer to Integra, than original JV. While some of the presets that use samples sound similar, those that rely on synth engine sound different. Cloud JV-1080 is soundwise equal to cloud XV-5080, it just uses different skin. Their both DNA root is somewhere in the Roland Integra.
While people are eager to get a perfect JV-1080, I’m sitting here thinking, “Add all the filters from the Aira instruments to the 5080 engine.” Now that would be something.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unfortunately not going to happen. At this stage they do not have plans to recreate JV-1080 engine cloud version. The existing one is based on engine that is closer to Integra, than original JV.
And the one in Integra is more like the early Fantom's then the XV5080

One thing that would be great in any case would be the SRV reverbs in the Cloud as a stand alone or as an insert for instruments
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Just ordered an XV-5050. Long time I was bragging about whether to go for a JV-1080 vs. XV-5080 or 5050. But I guess, as I'm not into film scoring and stuff but rather Dance genres, one of the latter should be the right choice. Can't wait to unbox it
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Owned a XV5080 for 2 years. Sold it because it always sounded cramped (compressed) and glassy. It was night and day with my Kurz.
The JD990 was much better, as good as my Kurz. But with the latter I had so much more control over the sound it also went out the door.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

That was a nice day! The 5050 arrived, I checked it out (having a mixed feeling and reminded the sayings on forums that it sounds too 'thin' etc.) and instantly loved the sound of it! I would describe it as pristine and hi-fi and best suitable late 90s till todays. One of the best devices I bought! The digital outs are a superb feature to the favor of this sound.

One thing about the data compression: I don't know, where this originated from but I read someone comparing it to mp3. This is not what the sound is like. Typical mp3 compression creates audible artifacts. The XV-5050 compression is nothing like that, no such artifacts. Overall good Synth/Rompler.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWagner View Post
One thing about the data compression: I don't know, where this originated from but I read someone comparing it to mp3.
mp3 is a destructive form of compression. XV-5050 also uses one form of destructive compression but definitely NOT an mp3 compression. My website states these things. I honestly don't know where did you read that XV uses mp3 compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWagner View Post
Typical mp3 compression creates audible artifacts. The XV-5050 compression is nothing like that, no such artifacts. Overall good Synth/Rompler.
That only applies to some random old guy who got stuck in the late 90's. We no longer compress in 96 kbps you know. Try mp3 compression with 320 kbps rate and high quality quantizer settings (i.e. lame -h 0 -b320) and then let's hear those audio "artifacts" that you are talking about. Uploads are free to this website.
Old 1 week ago
Love to see you guys still pen & ruler fighting about these machines. I remember how lovely the day was in about april 1995 when the stars aligned for me; Estrad Sthlm had 1080s in stock again that week, four left so I said please put my name on one of them. Finally I had the cash and it was one of my best ever purchases. I have a 5080 now and a XP80 too, but I want a 1080 as well just for nostalgia. As soon a knob or button gets moved two centimetres I get lost as the 1080 layout is programmed into my spine. I work on loads of software creating sounds for all synth players in the world but as this is my work hobby and passion I tend to surround myself with gear. The 5080 can be Roland's best digital box to date - or it might be beaten by the I7. I'm a player too so I never really liked the 990 as it goes into voice stealing already at a 6 note chord if the patch is a 4 tone layer. For editing on Mac the Roland editor for Windows works with Wine, at least on High Sierra. Setting up my gear again for the 6,445th time so I'll try on Catalina, Lion, El Capitan, Tiger and OS9 lol. Macs and synths, just can't get enough. Stay safe. Btw my old 1080 tracks are still up online,

soundcloud.com/bitleytm
youtube.com/bitleytm

Synth 4ever
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

Well I finally just hooked up the Roland Cloud XV-5080 and added my JV-1010 on the next channel. Matched volumes and presets, recorded some notes and duped them across both channels.

All I can say is - incredible!

I can barely tell the difference, if at all - it's so close. They both sound superb. If I had to call it I'd say the JV-1010 has very, very slightly more grit and harmonics but it's incredibly close, so much so that I'd call it negligible. I'm monitoring on Audio Technica ATH-E70 IEM's via a Scarlett interface.

It crossed my mind that the only reason I'd now keep my JV-1010 is for the 60's & 70's Keyboards expansion card.

The Roland Cloud is seriously impressive. I can have lots more 5080 outputs than I would if I had a physical unit at a lower overall cost. And I can just hit the edit button and there are all the parameters across several accessible pages. The edit pages on the Cloud immediately make the JV-XP editor for Mac that I mentioned a few posts ago look complicated and painful to use.

Next thing I'd like to compare would be a physical JV-1080 alongside these two above.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear