The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Korg Trident owners here?? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Any Korg Trident owners here??

Came across this vid of surismo playing the trident.
Never heard one first hand, but damn it sounds wicked here!

YouTube - lastdear

What are your opinions on these? They same to go a bit cheaper than JP-8's Pro-5's etc..
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

I have one permanently at my studio (belongs to the guy I write with) and I use it a fair bit. I like the strings, brass and flanger. Synth section never really gets used on anything - just a sort of "thickener" for the strings or brass. I always think it's kind of "majestic" sounding. Oh, and it's got that great modulation/trill/pitchbend joystick!
Daft Punks "guitar solo" synth sounds on Discovery are Trident. Fact
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
Ca

What are your opinions on these? They same to go a bit cheaper than JP-8's Pro-5's etc..
Trident is not same league as JP-8 or Prophet, by great margin IMHO.
Still, as mentioned, some strings sounds are what it is famous for.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Flat Earth, a moderator at HC KSS, has one that's quite dear to him ...
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

The Korg Trident is more than just a stringer, but as it concerns stringer tone to my ear, it is one of the top choices - alongside the Solina, Roland RS-505 Paraphonic, and Yamaha SS30 - IMHO.

cheers,
Ian
Old 2nd July 2009
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

I was offered one for 400 bucks about 3 yrs ago. And (me, the idiot) didn't bought it!

Still hitting the wall with my head...
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
Flat Earth, a moderator at HC KSS, has one that's quite dear to him ...

This is true. thumbsup

I wanted one for ages and ...finally got one.

The reason it appeals to me so much, is the lovely big phat analogue pads and brass it can churn out. Being able to mix and split the 2 VCO Synth, brass and strings sections can create some quite staggering sounds. Also it has 'the' flanger and of course the lovely rich SSM sound.

I dont like using the word 'Phat' often, but in this case, its quite an accurate description.
Old 28th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Trident is not same league as JP-8 or Prophet, by great margin IMHO.
Still, as mentioned, some strings sounds are what it is famous for.
did you actually try one? own one? no offence, but this sounds like typical read-it-on-the-net-only answer.

imnsfho truth is, altough quite less flexible than jp8 or p5, it has equally big SOUND. it is a true 2 VCO per voice SSM polyphonic. and there ain't many of those arround. only Rev1 and Rev2 Prophet, and rare PolyCobol. that's it.

without a doubt its warmer than Rev3 Prophet. and was sometimes bigger than my JP8, depending on what sound i was going for. makes dark, warm pads better than both.

the 2044 filter (which is basically a transistor ladder clone in a IC) self-oscillates beautifully, and the whole synth displays the "liquid/organic" character typical of SSM designs. looking at the arhitecture, it may seem that Polysix could be looked upon as one-half of Trident. however, in direct comparison, its not even that. Trident's single oscillator and filter are just incorporated better, and blow P6 away. Flanger is among the best i ever heard, together with early ADA and MXR.

its strings are very nice, but in the world of stringers, i wouldn't put them in the top range, more like "okay". stringers like crumar multiman, rs202/505, Solina and Korg's own Lambda and PE2000 are more lush. simply of a higher standard.

so, once you add the string section on top of the SSM poly, the result is HUGE. phukin almost orchestral impact..

i'm even more stupid than Don heh - i had the same one for 300 eur and let it go, when i was in a bad spot finantially. that troubled period was so brief, and those 300 eur wouldn't make a difference anyway. so now i can only..

here's a crapload of demos i did with it. you will notice how powerful it sounds even when in single VCO mode, how liquid is the filter, and that incredible flanger:

Trident mk1

PS hi there, Flat Earth.. long time no see
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

if you want analog pads the trident is the machine to go for if you can't afford a cs-80. it can sound very cs-80'ish on brass and string sounds.

the analog synth on it is a really limited thing. but it can still sound very good on simple type patches.

as far as the jp-8 yeah they aren't in the same league...

the trident is far better sounding and doesn't suffer from nasaly crap retro 80's cheese sounds. if you want to do covers of the final countdown or journey then by all means get a jp-8.

if instead you'd like something capable of vangelis brass sounds on a budget then get the trident.
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
PS hi there, Flat Earth.. long time no see
Hey!

Hi Cluster

Hows things?

Long time indeed! How nice to join this great forum, meet such legends as yourself and Don here....and hear you say such nice things about my favourite synthesizer heh
Old 11th October 2009
Gear Maniac

The Tridents are more limited, or less "refined" in their sound than the P5 and JP8, yet they can sound huge and very fat. They have very warm VCO sound, and when combining the 3 sections together you can get huge analog pads, brasses and strings, which is what they fo the best, and probably better than most other analogs. I'd call it an "orchestration" machine rather than a string one
Old 11th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwe View Post
The Tridents are more limited, or less "refined" in their sound than the P5 and JP8, yet they can sound huge and very fat. They have very warm VCO sound, and when combining the 3 sections together you can get huge analog pads, brasses and strings, which is what they fo the best, and probably better than most other analogs. I'd call it an "orchestration" machine rather than a string one
A very good approximation.

Heres a pic of my little beaut:

Old 11th October 2009

...and still hitting the wall.
Old 12th October 2009
Lives for gear

Had a MK1 trident for a number of years. Nice thick sounds. Loved the flanger ( bit noisy tho )

Biggest gripe is that it only has a Mono output - such a shame that a great synth like that is limited to that. Other major gripe is no CV and Gate control either.

Big synths physically and great at heating up a room tho not quite as 'hot' in the literal sense as a JP8 or CS80 ! hah a

Beer
Old 12th October 2009
Gear Head

I owned a MK2 for some years and it was my first choice when it came to string-sounds and odd'n'noisy flanger (as mentioned).

The layout is cool and it's very easy to get started, but as a synth freak I think it has some disadvantages: battery problems, cheap buttons and too much noise on certain parts of the synth.

It's huge and is not suited for a little home recording studio - nor would I bring it with me on stage.

Think you can call it more vintage than useful
Old 12th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekarma View Post
think it has some disadvantages: battery problems, cheap buttons and too much noise on certain parts of the synth.
The buttons are (I think) the same ones that are used on the Jupiter 8 and Monopoly. tbh, They feel quite solid to me.
Old 13th October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
The buttons are (I think) the same ones that are used on the Jupiter 8 and Monopoly. tbh, They feel quite solid to me.
I could be wrong on this, but as far as i remember they were not sticking properly to the keyboard itself and made it a bit wobbly to use (and you sometimes had to press the button 3-4 times before it worked).

Hehe, it could be that my Trident MKII was a bit wasted and abused
Old 13th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Yep it is noisy, at least when not recapped. There is a huge amount of analog components in this monster. Recapping one would take quite long

The string section is quite noisy and a bit distorted. But so is my Fender Twin Reverb, if you get the point he he Just what you would expect from a 70s analog monster like this heh

BTW I just got this one in for repair. So well kept !!

Old 13th October 2009
Lives for gear

Would be interesting to hear your opinion (seeing as you have a MK1 & MK2 together at the same time) of whether they sound any different, apart from the MK2's slight upgrades.

That MK1 you have there looks immaculate. Whats the fault? (if you dont mind me asking)
Old 13th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Filters working but not sound heard :/
Old 17th October 2009
Gear interested

Does anyone know where I can get the wood housing replacement kit for an MKII? Synthwood hasn't done one yet...
Old 17th October 2009
Gear nut

I have a mk2 in very good condition with the original tape and manual. I don't think it's as noisy as some have said already in this thread, at least nothing that would be heard in a mix at all. All the buttons on mine work perfectly. I had the battery replaced by a local tech so it will be fine for years to come. The problem with the battery is that it's above the main board so if it leaks it would get all over everything. If you own one, have it replaced immediately.

To me the trident is the most professional sounding synth I own, even with the mono output. Yeah, it's limited but the sounds out of this board are huge and very musical, it's really hard to make it sound bad. It sounds so... majestic. I can really not say anything bad about it other than it's huge and it's difficult for me to have it set up in my room at all times. It's a great machine!
Old 17th October 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by telestatt View Post
Does anyone know where I can get the wood housing replacement kit for an MKII? Synthwood hasn't done one yet...

That would seem to me like a difficult thing to comeby aftermarket because almost the entire frame is wood, not just the endcheeks. It's a very sturdy synth. Plus it's not a very common synth.
Old 17th October 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEODICY View Post
I have a mk2 in very good condition with the original tape and manual. I don't think it's as noisy as some have said already in this thread, at least nothing that would be heard in a mix at all. All the buttons on mine work perfectly. I had the battery replaced by a local tech so it will be fine for years to come.
The beginning of that post made me thinking you're about to sell it.

Old 17th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telestatt View Post
I doubt there would be any 'kit', so to speak, as the Trident is a relatively rare synth. As mentioned above, the whole frame of the synth is made of wood, and to be realistic, would have to be totally rebuilt. The end cheeks are probably the hardest to replicate as they have large chamfered edges which are tricky to re-create easily. Ive been considering rebuilding the panels and frame of my Trident, as it has a few scratches here and there, but, tbh, probably a good multigraded sand down and re-varnish will do the trick.
Old 17th October 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
The beginning of that post made me thinking you're about to sell it.

No, heh... I'll never sell it!! Plus it weighs a freaking ton and is huge so shipping would be a pain in the ass. I do have the tape is anyone wants the original patches, which some are quite good... just shoot me a PM if you want the audio/data clip from tape.
Old 17th October 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEODICY View Post
No, heh... I'll never sell it!! Plus it weighs a freaking ton and is huge so shipping would be a pain in the ass. I do have the tape is anyone wants the original patches, which some are quite good... just shoot me a PM if you want the audio/data clip from tape.
Yes. But old analogs are unreliable. I think you should better sell it.

For example, i would buy it.

heh
Old 17th October 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Yes. But old analogs are unreliable. I think you should better sell it.

For example, i would buy it.

heh

Negative!!
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

What's a reasonable price for these today?

And what's Ebay price?
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetty View Post
What's a reasonable price for these today?

And what's Ebay price?
They seem to be selling for between £700 to £1200 on ebay. But don't seem to crop up that often at the moment. I guess owners wanna keep em

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search