The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Thriller SYNTHS
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

I think the Freaky Danny version is awesome although I feel that the Jupiter 8V on his versions sounds a bit thin & digital. Here is a Juno 106 doing the strings and you can hear the night and day difference.

Old 5th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ View Post
I feel that the Jupiter 8V on his versions sounds a bit thin & digital. Here is a Juno 106 doing the strings and you can hear the night and day difference.
Hi Jebeq,

I think you're absolutely right. That's the thing that I'm unhappy with.
There's really no virtual instrument that can replace the original analogue.
The real Jupiter 8 has much more space to sound, it's undiscribable.
I work a lot with vintage compressors etc. to get some boost out of it and I use some phazers and transient shapers to power up the minimoogs, but it's not possible to emulate an analogue sound to 100%, that's what I think too.
Old 5th October 2011
Here for the gear

Hi y'all.

Here's some try of using my programmed thriller sounds with something new.
Hope you like it.
Attached Files

thriller sounds Copy.mp3 (2.42 MB, 1900 views)

Old 5th October 2011
Lives for gear

^^^^^
Thats dope.
Old 5th October 2011
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass View Post
Do that and Thriller production ain't that difficult actually. It's actually easier and simpler now, if those things are in place.

Period
Not so much.

You do know the album was produced by Quincy Jones and recorded by Bruce Swedien right? Two iconic legends in the music business and they had a budget bigger than anything anyone will have again. It is NOT a case of "sure, get your hands on the original synths and the rest ain't so hard". Not at all.
Old 5th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Not so much.

You do know the album was produced by Quincy Jones and recorded by Bruce Swedien right? Two iconic legends in the music business and they had a budget bigger than anything anyone will have again. It is NOT a case of "sure, get your hands on the original synths and the rest ain't so hard". Not at all.
Totally agreed.

Bruce could be argued to be the best engineer of all time. Not saying I think he is, but you could DEFINITELY argue it. He used a lot of techniques to get sounds on that album that are so far removed from what we do today. The loud thwacking snare on "Beat It" is actually a drum case recorded in a room with natural reverb. The synth bass on most tracks is 2 minimoogs combined together, sent through a bass amp, and mic'd up. The other synths were all recorded through amps, not direct input. The "Billie Jean" drums were put through a contraption he built to get that punch and treble at the same time. One of the only 4 to the floor beats you can recognize right when you hear it. The list goes on and on. Not to mention all analogue gear, in a time that was in a different mindset than how we make music now.

I'm not saying it is better than what we do now . . . but it was nowhere near easy to make one of the most perfect sounding albums of all time. Not even close. So much expertise went into the making of that album. Musicianship, singing, production, engineering. As a previous post stated, it was the culmination of a long time of getting that "sound" before it all came together perfectly on Thriller.

I also feel that Thriller is probably the best sounding collection of analogue synths than any other album I can think of. Maybe only Violator by Depeche Mode can compare.

Ok I'm done nerding out LOL.

PS. Lets not forgot originality. They weren't worried about doing what was already done. I think nodding to and recognizing the past is good, but its always better to do things in a modern way. It's the only way to get the best sound. Dont emulate the past, but embrace it.

(Just read the original post that was quoted. I think it was taken out of context so feel free to ignore my rant LOL. I think the original post pretty much was saying that it would be easy to emulate if the mindset and quality of back then was applied right now. Hard to do though)
Old 6th October 2011
nms
Lives for gear

Bruce is a damn wizard. He also had a transformer box that he had built and ran the moogs and whatever else thru that. The people that worked on that album were the best around so obviously you've got to remember that. Inspiring level to strive for, but a sound most will fail to nail.
Old 6th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Bruce is a damn wizard. He also had a transformer box that he had built and ran the moogs and whatever else thru that. The people that worked on that album were the best around so obviously you've got to remember that. Inspiring level to strive for, but a sound most will fail to nail.
Agree agree!

This transformer box was something really special I have no idea what's the trick. The minimoog sounds a bit like a real stringed bass and has something chorus-like sound on it - it's really special.

The synths are played through speakers and recorded again with microphones to get more width. There have been included all the best people Quincy Jones knows with highest talent. People for only adjusting the synth's sounds.
There is no brass section on the planet that can overtop Jerry Hey's Horns on this special studio sound and on timing.

One important thing I think about this music is the timing of the played instruments and the exact knowledge on how to get the wanted sound.
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydanny View Post
Hi y'all.

Hope you like it.

very cool indeed man!
Old 6th October 2011
Gear Head

here is a version of Thriller i made recently. I used 2 Se-1x's for the bass. It's just a rough version that follows the sequence of the music video.. verse 3x no chorus.
Old 6th October 2011
Gear Head

here is a version of Thriller i made recently. I used 2 Se-1x's for the bass. It's just a rough version that follows the sequence of the music video.. verse 3x no chorus.

Thriller 2011.mp3 (2.86 MB)
Attached Files

Thriller 2011.mp3 (2.86 MB, 1659 views)

Old 6th October 2011
Gear Head

Here is one i did of Baby Be Mine
Attached Files

Baby Be Mine SE1X plus 50.mp3 (2.52 MB, 1519 views)

Old 6th October 2011
Gear Head

Here is Wanna Be Starting Something
Attached Files

WBSS 2011.mp3 (2.06 MB, 1458 views)

Old 6th October 2011
Gear Head

Human Nature
Attached Files

Human Nature SDMJ.mp3 (3.19 MB, 1518 views)

Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydanny View Post
Hi y'all.

Hope you like it.
That is some sick ****, yo. very funky! I'm obsessed with the Thriller song and listen to it two or three times a week. I'm all about the Minimoog.

your versions were amazing. Overall, a great thread!

any way you'd be willing to post or PM me your patch settings for the bass line? you said two instances, right?

I've got an actual Minimoog and want to try this out by multitracking.
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

Link to Keyboard Mag Article

I've seen numerous references to this article on the thread, but no actual link. Here it is

KeyboardMag: Michael Jackson Keyboard Sounds of His Signature Songs Then and Now

It was written by Michael Boddicker...
Old 6th October 2011
szf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRDmusic54 View Post
Human Nature
Those recreations are awesome, thanks for sharing
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

Very nice work guys.
Old 2nd November 2011
Here for the gear

Hey friends.

here is one new version of my VSTi Thriller-rebuild

It's never finished.

I optimized the instruments in the Mix and the sound of the synths.
Well, I declare that I have 15 Plugins on the 2 Minimoog to sound like I wanted.

The brass synth sounds are much more silkier than before because I did some equalizing AND I analyzed the original. There are two different sound modules used - one on the left and one other on the right. That makes it really sound wide!

The drums are much more in the front now.

The next thing I have to work are the horns. A long long way again.

Yours, Daniel
Attached Files

thriller 4.2-16 - Kopie.mp3 (6.33 MB, 1785 views)

Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
and they had a budget bigger than anything anyone will have again.
Yes, the budget was big; big budgets allow you the following:

- cutting edge equipment
- lots of man-hours
- skilled personnel

Back in the day a Fairlight CMI cost $50,000 - that's over $150,000 in 2011. For what? A sequencer and a sampler. How many of those hours were required simply to operate the equipment? Now you drag and drop a sample; back then you had to wait half a minute for the floppy to load. Rewind tapes, set up the console - both replaced by automation and the fact that you no longer have to rewind anything.

It's always going to be completely impossible to compare things because so many factors were different; but there are some that you can rule out.

Still, absolute genius at the top of their game at work.

SRDmusic54, freakydanny: love the recreated versions!
Old 2nd November 2011
nms
Lives for gear

Sounds interesting Daniel.. I'll have to check this out when I'm not on my phone.

@yoozer - man, we have it so good now. There aren't enough facepalms in the world to convey my feelings toward threads like the recent "Modern synths are terrible and everything sucks and is outdated" thing.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Danny and Shane,

in all those recreations, are real guitars recorded or used VSTi samples ?
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szf View Post

The Human Nature song is superb!!
as is the wonna be startin' song
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Moving slightly off at a Tangent (you'll see what I did there), Tangerine Dream also used that Synclavier sound at the start of the Exit album (Kiew Mission).

Isn't there a software version of the Synclavier? Has anyone used it?
Old 5th November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlyman View Post
Hi Danny and Shane,

in all those recreations, are real guitars recorded or used VSTi samples ?
Hi Googlyman! It's the MusicLab RealStrat VSTi-Instrument. A really really good emulation. But I had to push the midi-signals some milliseconds, because otherwise the notes came to late.
I worked very hard with graphical EQs and compared with the original to get it better. On the final mix I use an Auto-EQ that compares the source (Thriller Original) with my mix to adjust.

What I did on mostly all midi-tracks: I tried to humanize it, a kind of Anti-quantization - shifting some notes back and forward, especially minimoog, guitar and horns. And on the tracks I did not "anti-quantize" yet I do a 5-20% shuffle on the notes to let it more groove. Only the lindrum-notes are streight in quantization.
Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szf View Post
seriously gorgeous and lush work man. much respect.
Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
Thriller was DEFINITELY out before DX7s by a year.
Thriller came out in '82 and the DX7 came out in '83.

"Bad," however, couldn't possible have used more dx7s. Such a huge shift in sound, that synth.
Old 9th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWG View Post
Hello,

Thriller is part of a broader context. The album was the
culmination of a string of Quincy Jones-produced releases for
Michael Jackson (RIP) and a number of other artists.
The releases that were recorded before Thriller utilized the same
core personnel that went on to make history with Thriller.
I agree.

In fact, I have to admit that I think the "Light Up the Night" album by the Brothers Johnson is even better produced than "Thriller".

Of course, I might just be biased because I like the songs on that album much better than the ones on "Thriller".

Still, it's a shame that "Light Up the Night" doesn't seem to be better known--it's got some of the sickest Moog basslines ever recorded. Like this one:

Old 15th November 2011
Here for the gear

Great thread....got me inspired to have a go at Thriller remake....well it ended up as a mashup with Beat It.

kind regards
Vikram Rai, Norway
www.djprince.no
Old 18th November 2011
Here for the gear

Hey y'all.

Here's a "pre-version" of a mixdown.
Attached Files

thriller 4.4.mp3 (6.43 MB, 1860 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search