The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Thriller SYNTHS
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff View Post
I thought the Prophet V came AFTER the DX7...?

So, if no DX7, no PV...?
Prophet-5 released in 1978
DX-7 in 1983
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
So back to the original question... what's a good modern synth or VI that could cop those synth sounds?

I'm hoping the Analog Factory can.

for VI I think Analog Factory is good, 2.2 has 3,500 presets some of which should get you close enough with a little editing.

For hardware (pulls on flame suit) I gotta go with a Virus Ti. Yeah it gets a bad rap from overuse in electronica and sneers from analog synth collectors. But it's really underrated for it's '70s/'80s analog emulations. It gets real, real close to the originals, it's very stable as a performance board, 5,000+ presets onboard and costs a lot less than going out and getting the originals. I've owned a Prophet 5, Little Phatty, JX8P, Obie Matrix, Waldorf Micro Q and DX7 and the Virus gets used 10 times more then any of them ever were.

If I was made of money and had a 20'x20' room, of course I'd buy the originals, but I bet the Virus would still get played more.

I don't think any of the other VA hardware synths come close, including Nord. An Andromeda would be a close second but you'll spend a lot of time editing at a pretty deep level.

Of course YMMV and beauty is in the ears of the beholder.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Stickman View Post
it's very stable
hardly...and mine's out of tune a semitone and a half with the OS 3 update...bit of a joke

apart from that, love it
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
DING DING DING DING DING

WINNER!

I can't tell you what sounds on Thriller are from a Synclavier, but I know the intro on "Beat It" is a Synclavier.

The crazy thing is that I had a Synclavier for my personal use for about six months back in 2000.
I just never explored the sounds that much.
I have almost everything that Zappa released where he used one, but those are all custom sounds.
I assume that Michael Jackson's were, too.
The "Beat It" intro sounds like the Synclav's FM synth sounds.
There could be some sample in there, too.

The Juno 60 had just come out.
Prophets were mighty popular, too.

The thing that gets me is that LinnDrums were just hiting the stores at the time Thriller came out.
They must have had a super early pre-production unit.
They used one of the prototype LinnDrums on a Steely Dan record.
Of course, Roger Linn was right out there and L.A. was the cutting edge land of that stuff!

UPDATE: There was a LM-1 that was before the LinnDrum.
The LinnDrum had the addition of crashes and a ride.... wooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
(I just read that only 5000 Linndrum were ever made. I guess I was lucky to have one! I had a Drumulator, too.)

I know the guy who owns the Synclavier that was used on Thriller. We were talking about the sounds on Thriller when he mentioned he had it. (I'm almost positive he said it was a Synclavier but he could have said another keyboard.) Anyway, Bruce Swedien gave it to him for his birthday. He said it still has the horn patches loaded onto it that were used on the song, "Thriller."

Cheers,

Rappy
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Heavy View Post
hardly...and mine's out of tune a semitone and a half with the OS 3 update...bit of a joke

apart from that, love it
Weird?!?! Are you up to 3.0.3?
No issues w/ the updates on my Ti or on my previous Virus KC.
Again YMMV on updates.
By "stable for performance" I meant it doesn't drift out of tune like the analog guys often do.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
just found this:

pixelives: List of Synths Used on Michael Jackson "Thriller"

Rob was right on the money... Lot's of JP8, CS80, Prophet 5 and Minimoog!

** So perhaps Arturia's "Analog Factory"? Any folks have this and know if I would be able to program Billie Jean this weekend? I've learned all the parts (which are not terribly difficult) but need the sounds!!!

Thrill- when do you think it went from being cool to not cool playing keys? In the early 90's Nirvana-era?
That's a hell of a lot of synths for one song. If I tried to do that I would create a mess.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
The "Beat It" intro sounds like the Synclav's FM synth sounds.
There could be some sample in there, too.
The "Beat It" intro was from my friend Tom Bahler's Synclavier. It was a purely FM sound, and a preset at that.

-R
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thrill- when do you think it went from being cool to not cool playing keys? In the early 90's Nirvana-era?
Yes...at least it became uncool to play anything besides a Rhodes, Hammond, or acoustic piano.

...I still think anything else is pretty uncool. I honestly think that's why so many from the 70s went back from synths in the 90s...they don't resonate with the human soul.
Old 2nd July 2009
Led
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
That's a hell of a lot of synths for one song. If I tried to do that I would create a mess.
Thriller was the name of the whole album as well...
Old 2nd July 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

Seems like I read that there is a remake of the Prophet 5 synth. I would be curious about that. I wonder if it sounds AS GOOD as the old Prophet 5 but with obvious new features.

I assume it is this one:
Prophet '08 8-Voice Analog Keyboard Synthesizer Overview
Old 2nd July 2009

Anybody know the synth for "Rock with You"? I realize that is from the Off the Wall album, but...
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Anybody know the synth for "Rock with You"? I realize that is from the Off the Wall album, but...
If you're talking about the melodic line that plays at the end I've always wondered about that one to. I love that sound.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
I love that sound that comes in during the break of Thriller.

I've wondered for a long time how they got that sound. It sounds amazing!

I've included a loop sample. The sound I'm talking about is the note C sharp played twice in the beginning of every beat like a heart beat. My guess is that it's a custom sound sampled and sculpted in the Synclavier.

x2 on this. I've always wondered what that was. It sounds AMAZING, and PERFECT for the feel and content of the tune. Just nailed it with that !

I hope someone can enlighten us here.

My bet is on Synclav.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
x2 on this. I've always wondered what that was. It sounds AMAZING, and PERFECT for the feel and content of the tune. Just nailed it with that !

I hope someone can enlighten us here.

My bet is on Synclav.
Someone said a Casio and to me it has that CZ character..
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Someone said a Casio and to me it has that CZ character..
Yeah, but none of the CZ synths were released at the time of "Thriller" right? It's an amazing sound... Would love to know what it is.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyKeys View Post
Yeah, but none of the CZ synths were released at the time of "Thriller" right? It's an amazing sound... Would love to know what it is.
True!
Then I guess FM Synclav.
The Synergy may have been used too
Yamaha GS-1 was also a possibility
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear
Soft-synth wise you could get Arturia Jupiter-8V and Prophet-V. NI's REAKTOR has a nice Juno-60 emulation. Or get yourself a proper analog synth like DSI Prophet 08 or Voyager for bass.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
The "Beat It" intro was from my friend Tom Bahler's Synclavier. It was a purely FM sound, and a preset at that.

-R

You can find this base sound or sample inside the SY99 ROM.
Old 2nd July 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
If you're talking about the melodic line that plays at the end I've always wondered about that one to. I love that sound.
Yep. I believe the one in the intro is the same synth, too. It's definitely a filtered "something".
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Addict

<< x2 on this. I've always wondered what that was. It sounds AMAZING, and PERFECT for the feel and content of the tune. Just nailed it with that ! >>

This is my favorite sound in the song as well!!! Totally fits the "Thriller" vibe. It does sound very Casio to me. I would love to know who was the genius that added this element.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

great thread! i always wondered what that like whistling/ twilight zone/ original star trekish/ like weird high pitched sound was. not sure if it's a synth or not.

it's over the second half of the verses on the thriller the song itself.

YouTube - Michael Jackson Thriller Lyrics

@ 3:23-3:33 approx
@ 5:13-5:20 approx
@ 5:29-5:45 approx

thanks
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

If you really want to bust your chops programming a V-Synth GT could cop some of those sounds. You could look at a Korg Radius as well.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaw View Post
If you really want to bust your chops programming a V-Synth GT could cop some of those sounds. You could look at a Korg Radius as well.
lol
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magic Hoof View Post

Fast forward to 3:25. Is that NOT the exact same chord progression? And the patch sounds very similar. Not sure which synth it is.
That's a Korg DW-8000, a Roland JP-800, and a Korg DSS-1.

That organ sound was coming from the JP-800.
Old 18th July 2009
threads like this make me laugh a bit. too often keyboardists think that finding the synth used in a track is all there is to "recreating" the magic of a song.

aside from the energy, timing, and sheer funk that these guys put into their playing, two other huge factors come into play that in my experience over the years are far more important than "which" synth was used...

1. the mix

2. the production

quite frankly, the "mix" to me is the THE most important part. how the tracks are mixed, processed, eq'd, etc play a HUGE factor in the overall impact of those classic keyboard lines and sounds. today's keyboardists too often forget the amazing analog consoles that alot of these old classics were mixed on, and the ridiculous class-A outboard gear it was being processed through. All of that plays a HUGE impact on how these synths came out sounding on these records.

it's like the old days of the classic analog vs. digital (software instruments) debates and that having a real analog synth was the only way to go. those arguments were just ridiculous. as if someone was going to turn off the stereo and stop listening to a song because someone used a software Prophet 5 instead of a real Prophet 5....

it all boils down to how the sound is used, played, mixed, and produced into the song.

my 2 huevos worth...
Old 18th July 2009
pan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I think, its the CS-80 playing the hook melody in the intro. Sounds like a Moog on LSD though...
Old 18th July 2009
pan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
great thread! i always wondered what that like whistling/ twilight zone/ original star trekish/ like weird high pitched sound was. not sure if it's a synth or not.

it's over the second half of the verses on the thriller the song itself.

@ 3:23-3:33 approx
@ 5:13-5:20 approx
@ 5:29-5:45 approx
A theremin?
Old 18th July 2009
Lives for gear

re

zappa has a few albums that are all synclavier. jazz from hell is one i remember thye name of.
Old 19th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan View Post
A theremin?
Might be a Minimoog as well.
Old 25th July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenRawley View Post
That's a Korg DW-8000, a Roland JP-800, and a Korg DSS-1.

That organ sound was coming from the JP-800.
That's Roland JD-800. But he switches up to the DW-8000 to a very similar pipe organ sound for the 2nd half.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search