The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Best 3 tier keyboard stand
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Best 3 tier keyboard stand

I'm currently using an Ultimate Support Apex AX-48 and I really like it but I'm getting another keyboard and I'm space challenged.

I checked a few online places (Sweetwater, American Musical, etc.) and didn't really find anything.

Is there anything with the quality of the Apex that can hold 3 keyboards? (Andromeda, Fantom G6, Solaris) Ideally it would also allow attachment of small shelves so I could put my Virus TI Desktop and Mopho on the stand as well although that's not a requirement.

It needs to be sturdy, have room underneath for a couple of 10 space racks, and the more compact the better. I don't really care about width, but depth (distance out from the wall) should be minimized.

Anybody know of anything? Or is there a way to attach a third keyboard tier to the top of the Apex?

Thanks!
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Big question - is this to be transported and used live regularly, or will it live at home in the studio (i.e. is "ease of setup and teardown" or "weight" or "number of fiddly parts to get lost" of any consideration)?

It is possible to purchase additional "tiers" for the Apex stands, and adding a tier at the very top with a spray-painted-black piece of plywood "shelf" wouldn't be out of the question, but past a certain point I would start to worry about the bottom keyboard hitting your knees, wobbliness towards you as the heavier keyboards on bottom cantilever out farther and farther from the center of gravity the lower they are on the diagonal track, and having the tiers so close together that you can't see the controls and displays.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

This is just for a home studio, so ease of transportation isn't an issue, and I suppose weight isn't either if it's not ridiculous. Space is more the issue.

Where can I find an attachment for an additional tier for the Apex? I didn't see any at Ultimate's site.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Ultimate used to be a lot more pro-active about promoting "easy! Just add another tier for a third keyboard!", and I notice there's no such language on the site any longer, or any pictures of more than two tiers on Apex stands - maybe because Bad Things Happened To Good Keyboards - the whole thing will fall forward if the weight isn't centered "just so".

Google for "Ultimate Support Tribar" (the "arms" that come in two different lengths depending on depth of the synth) and "Ultimate Support Super Clamp" (the "box with thumbscrew" part that connects between the "column" track and the "arms"). Should run you about $12/ea and $25/ea respectively.

I'd just be careful about the total weight (those are some bigger, heavier, expensive synths there) - be wary of where you're placing the center of gravity - two keyboards higher up on the track center the weight over the spread of the contact points with the floor - once heavier keyboards are placed lower down on the column, the center of gravity starts to cantilever out towards you, and I'd hate to think of an Andromeda or Solaris spilling onto the floor, keys-first.

You might want to take a peek through the "pictures of your slutty synth setups" thread to see some of the solutions people with "too many keyboards floor-to-ceiling" have come up with.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Interesting. I was about to buy those and I ran across the Ultimate Support AX-90. It has a small 4th leg that sticks out in front to prevent just the sort of tipping over you're describing, and it also has arms with adjustable angles, etc. Does anybody know if they sell additional arms for the AX-90? I can't seem to find them on any of the sites that are selling the AX-90 itself, if so.

Thanks!
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

I have 2 Pro-El triple tier racks.

They stand on 3 sturdy legs and are impossible to knock over. The central post
holds 2 or 3 rack arms, each one supports a keyboard and is totally adjustable.

I don't know the exact model number and they may even be discontinued, but I was
lucky to get 2 sets to hold 6 synths.

rachel
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Any chance you have a link to these Rachel?
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Not really. A google search is fruitless. You can see the stands in my
studio pictures somewhere in this forum. Mine has a MiniMoog & OScar on them.

rachel
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

I'd go for an A-frame, but you do lose a bit of distance out from the wall that way.

the good thing about a frames is they hold ANYTHING you want, and you can chuck a shelf onto them to hold little things alongside keyboards, too.

plus you really do get clear space under them for putting down racks, etc.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

I heard back from Ultimate Support about the AX-90 and they say it only supports two tiers. Oh well.
Old 30th June 2009
Deleted 46dc28f
Jaspers are the best: Jaspers - Keyb.-ständer
Old 12th June 2011
Gear Addict

Sorry to bring back this ancient thread, but I too am looking for a three tier Ultimate Support stand.

I too can not find any anywhere and only 2 tier. Like the OP Ultimate Support told me only 2 are available.

But then I find this what states otherwise (I know its sold, but it exists is my point.)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ultimate-Suppo...#ht_500wt_1156

OP - If your still subscribed what did you do?
Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

Try a K&M Spider Pro, same concept, but you can put pedals down the bottom, unlike the Ultimate, And they are easily available from Thomann, and the extra parts for it

see here
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...d-racks-2.html
Old 12th June 2011
Gear Addict

Hello Col, (What would I do without you lol)

Cant see a three tier one at Thomann. Do you just add the extra tier yourself as an optional extra?
Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
Sorry to bring back this ancient thread, but I too am looking for a three tier Ultimate Support stand.

I too can not find any anywhere and only 2 tier. Like the OP Ultimate Support told me only 2 are available.

But then I find this what states otherwise (I know its sold, but it exists is my point.)
Ultimate Support AX-90P Apex Keyboard Stand | eBay UK

OP - If your still subscribed what did you do?
I ended up buying a Jaspers stand from Thomann. Which is a PITA if you live in the US because Thomann has a set dollar limit for international orders. But you can have multiple orders as long as each one doesn't exceed their limit. So between the stand and the accessories I was able to split it up enough to come in under the wire on their international shipping limit. Why they were willing to send me 3 packages (simultaneously) that totalled the amount of the original order that they canceled I will never know. On the plus side their shipping is really cheap.

This is the one I bought:

Old 12th June 2011
Gear Addict

NWSooner.

Apparently I live is Europe Japsers is no sweat .
(I say apparently as no one in England or Great Britain for that fact understands what the hell were doing as part of Europe nor do we see ourselves as Europeans. No offence to any Europeans, we just see ourselves as English or British.)

I allready have a Jaspers 3 tier stand but I really like the style of the Ultimate Support stuff. But i NEED 3 tier. 2 Tier is not enough.

That photos prooves they exist. So why the hell can't I find any then?
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello Col, (What would I do without you lol)

Cant see a three tier one at Thomann. Do you just add the extra tier yourself as an optional extra?

Yeah I just bought the extra tier support from Thomann,
just do a search, which is kinda hard to find on their site
http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_18866_auflagearmset_b_schwarz.htm

comes in silver as well, which is what I should have ordered, since the black version has somewhat dodgey in finish.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_18866_auflagearmset_b_silber.htm

I also have 1 of those Jasper stands on rollers too.
The K&M Spider Pro is much more compact and easier to setup, but it probably is deeper, and you can't move it as easily, but setup is very quick unlike the Jaspers
Although you'll need to tie up the top set of arms when you readjust the 2nd tier to get it out of the way
Old 13th June 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for the link Col thats great.

The sliver one does look good but the black will match the metal on my producer station desk. Cant help but think silver will be yet another colour.

Great that you can buy the shelf as an add on as I don't actually need the third tier yet. So I can buy that later.

Thanks again mate
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

The best keyboard stands are made by Standtastic. I had a couple of the tall ones which worked great as 4-tiers. I now use their tier kits on my wall mounted stands.
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
The best keyboard stands are made by Standtastic. I had a couple of the tall ones which worked great as 4-tiers. I now use their tier kits on my wall mounted stands.
Not anymore.

Last week I just got a new one with extra tiers. The hole sizes on some of the tiers are incorrect in that the pin will not fit through them. I had fitting problems getting the tiers together. And I'm no slouch with things mechanical.

I don't know who is making these for Standtastic, but the quality has taken a dive.
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
I don't know who is making these for Standtastic, but the quality has taken a dive.
That is bad. I love mine and it is a good stand!
Old 14th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
NWSooner.

Apparently I live is Europe Japsers is no sweat .
(I say apparently as no one in England or Great Britain for that fact understands what the hell were doing as part of Europe nor do we see ourselves as Europeans. No offence to any Europeans, we just see ourselves as English or British.)

I allready have a Jaspers 3 tier stand but I really like the style of the Ultimate Support stuff. But i NEED 3 tier. 2 Tier is not enough.

That photos prooves they exist. So why the hell can't I find any then?
Just like to point out to all that this is your personal view and not a reflection of the whole Country I am a British European, who has been using this stand for the best part of 20 years and which currently holds a Yamaha CS60 amongst others (i.e. a great deal of weight for a long time) and can attest its quality;

QL-623 - Quik Lok - Professional Music Equipment and Accessories
Old 14th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quiklock X stands - ugh...
Old 14th June 2011
Gear Addict

OFF TOPIC

Quote:
I am a British European
Can I ask were you actually born here? I have never ever heard anyone think of themselves as European who was born in Britain. Im taken a back.
This is a subject I have asked many 1000 people their opinions on an you are the first to say otherwise. Of course there will always be one and maybe's your that one. EG some people actually like murdering people or eating coffee creams or whatever. But I think this is heavily in the minority.

I must stress. I do not have anything against Europe or Europeans. But Great Britain has as much to do with Europe as New Zealand does. I mean, what has England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland got in common with the French? Or the Spanish? Or the Germans? I don't see the link here at all. No one I have ever asked does either.
Not saying for one second we can't all be friends but officially a part of it?

No sorry, I am proud to be English / British. I don't need that to be watered down just because some politician in Westminster gets a back hander.

I second the Quicklok - ugu statement. Not really a fan or any of their products but thanks for the link.
Old 14th June 2011
Gear Addict

Quicklock is great-- really sturdy, can be tilted to any angle you want, can attach things to it. Only downside is setup/teardown is kind of time consuming if you need to adjust your tilts all the time. For setting and forgetting it in a studio, it's a great choice. I upgraded from their 2 tier to 3 tier last year and am very happy with it. What is your gripe with them, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

They rust, they look and feel cheap and my Jupiter 8 destroyed it
Old 15th June 2011
Gear Addict

modularjack.

Not really a griper mate.

I think one of the reasons with Quickloc is they seem damned expensive for what they are. I remember looking at a work station they offered and by the time you bought all the "optional" stuff like the desk bit to actually put stuff on and the keyboard shelf thats lets face it, is not optional stuff the price was pritty high.

The I find the range ultra confusing. THey seem to make a trillion products much of which looks the same to me and it gives me a bad head working out what is what.
Old 15th June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
that is what I use too. I have a 4 tier one and its is very sturdy.

btw if anyone has any ideas I have an Ultimate IQ3000 and am wondering about somehow trying to fit a 3rd tier on it although it isn't meant for it. weight isn't an issue I have the nord lead 2x on the second tier and need a place for my sh101.
Old 15th June 2011
any idea why Quicklok quit making the QL699? i've got one & love it. (i squeezed a 4th tier on it)
Old 16th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
That is bad. I love mine and it is a good stand!
I have an older one and it is an excellent stand.

Can't say the same about the new one I got last week though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search