The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
What software eqs?
Old 26th June 2009
  #1
What software eqs?

Don't suck?

Seriously, built in cubase ones blow, so do logic 8's.

I am having trouble with my bass in the mix, need to clean it up, but every plug in kind of destroys the sound some how and i hate it. The algorithmix red is great, but i have a mac now.

I am on a macbook so I cannot use the uad 1 stuff, i am mixing in the box, and man, i need eqs that work and don't taint the sound and make it sound more thin and cold. What is there for the mac that would work out good?

I'm mixing in the box unfortunately.

Would a duende mini help?

I don't want to spend a ton on plugins. Does the standard duende stock channel strip work great or do i need all the special plug ins to really get a great eq and sound?
Old 26th June 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
Don't suck?

Seriously, built in cubase ones blow, so do logic 8's.

I am having trouble with my bass in the mix, need to clean it up, but every plug in kind of destroys the sound some how and i hate it. The algorithmix red is great, but i have a mac now.

I am on a macbook so I cannot use the uad 1 stuff, i am mixing in the box, and man, i need eqs that work and don't taint the sound and make it sound more thin and cold. What is there for the mac that would work out good?

I'm mixing in the box unfortunately.
There's nothing wrong with logic's eq. Post a clip of how it 'destroys' your sound.

I also really like voxengo's voxformer. It's marketed as a plugin for vocals but it really is a complete channel strip with a very nicely designed EQ.
Old 26th June 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Susceptor's Avatar
 

Vibe EQ from Stillwell. Tons of color and pretty versatile IMO
Also, I heard the emulation of the Pultec and I really liked it.

If you want something neutral, try PSP Neon.
Old 26th June 2009
  #4
Um not sure I agree with Logic's ones sucking, but anyways..

For cheep but good try DDMF and ApulSoft

+1 Vibe Eq

.
Old 26th June 2009
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans View Post
There's nothing wrong with logic's eq.


Very true perhaps not the worlds most exiting Eqs but very usable, as are the compressors. I think this could be a technique issue more than anything!
Old 26th June 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
jude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisstoff View Post


Very true perhaps not the worlds most exiting Eqs but very usable, as are the compressors. I think this could be a technique issue more than anything!
or even source material...
Old 26th June 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans View Post
There's nothing wrong with logic's eq.
this
Old 26th June 2009
  #8
When i turn on a logic eq and use it, i hear this slight cut on my highs. it sounds duller, when i turn it off i like it more.

Cutting is kind of okay with it, boosting? AAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH YEAH RIGHT. ESP BASS AND HIGHS.

LOL

I wonder if I would like the duende. I really like the neve eq for the uad1. I wonder if the ssl duende would make me happy like that one does. I have no access to uad, or i would have one. I don't need verbs and fx, i have a lexicon pcm 96 and kurz ksp8. I am really picky. Analog snob of sorts.

I just need good EQs, i find that my mackie onyx eqs and my chemeleon labs 7602 eqs kick the crap out of everything i have in the box. I am talking sound, not function here, i know the logic eqs have way more functions.

The problem with the duende is latency. I would have to disconnect it when i am doing midi, cause the only way for me to get tight midi in logic is if i drop the buffer down to 32 when i record. I have a feeling this would be a nightmare with duende.
Old 26th June 2009
  #9
After reading more about the duende eq being limited down to 200, it is not for me :(
Old 26th June 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
When i turn on a logic eq, i hear this slight cut on my highs. it sounds duller, when i turn it off i like it more.
I have never noticed this. Tonight I'll check this on some broadband material and see if it nulls. If I had to put my money on it now I'd say it's in your head.
Old 26th June 2009
  #11
Nah, I notice it when i bounce out to mix in saw studio too.

I remember i had this drum loop, and i was cutting all the bass out to just get the hats and snares, when i bounced it down in logic and imported it into saw, i noticed it was less clear and crunchy.

when i loaded the loop into saw, and used its eq to cut, it sounded better than the logic file. I have those ears that notice slight things.

to bad it doesn't help me sing better :( lol

BTW, i like musical eqs, ones that add harmonics, analog ones seem to do this in a musical way. Digital, have yet to hear it done right. I would rather use my onyx eqs to boost than any plug in i have ever used, well, except the uad1 neve. that was great.

My biggest enemy mixing wise is my small room, bass is a bitch. So getting my kick and bass lines right is often a guessing game.
Old 26th June 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
digital 1010's Avatar
Hasnt it already been proved that all the digital Eq's Null when the settings are changed and in essence the difference is the curves bandwitch and qs etc etc ?

I use the cubase eq and also have some other the other bigger name soft eq's and cant really notice that much difference in them at all to the plus of the minus.

With tweaking they should all pretty much do exactly the same thing. You want the one that works best on your system and gives you the result you want and the quickest mate.

Ben
Old 26th June 2009
  #13
no idea about cubase after version sx3, i used sx2 the most, left because of midi issues, and the fuzzy socks it put on my mixes in the box. Don't like the way the cubase engine sounds.

Maybe they made it better since sx3. I know that logic 8 is way better sounding than 7.
Old 26th June 2009
  #14
F5D
Lives for gear
 
F5D's Avatar
 

I use the Sonnox Elite pack for mixing. All very high quality plugins. Especially the eq is still one of the best I've used. It does not color but it is very precise.
Old 26th June 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
+1 on apulsoft apEQ


fater a long time I had to use built in cubase eq for some temporary eq... and when I've substitued them with apEQ and UAD EQs it was... "ahhhh... finaly I've got rid of the grain"
Old 26th June 2009
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
keepitsimple's Avatar
 

I use Waves SSL EQ on my bass (and on all my tracks).

Works like a charm and it's VERY responsive.

One of the best.
Old 26th June 2009
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
Nah, I notice it when i bounce out to mix in saw studio too.

I remember i had this drum loop, and i was cutting all the bass out to just get the hats and snares, when i bounced it down in logic and imported it into saw, i noticed it was less clear and crunchy.

when i loaded the loop into saw, and used its eq to cut, it sounded better than the logic file. I have those ears that notice slight things.
Apparently you have those ears that you can't trust

Result of a bounce in logic of 5 second white noise file with no EQ inserted on track one and the same file with EQ inserted on track two with inverted phase:

Old 26th June 2009
  #18
Lives for gear
 
bleepbleep's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans View Post
Apparently you have those ears that you can't trust
yeah - gotta wonder whats going on when someone junks a whole bunch of decent tools which science prooves works and other producers get excellent results from.....mmmmmm.......
Old 26th June 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
:Metaphor:'s Avatar
 

Gotta love this board!

Back to OP's question-- Debates aside, these are the plugs I'd check out if you don't like the stock ones in your DAW:

-Stillwell's vibe EQ & 1973 EQ

-PSP's sQuad pack

-Apulsoft's apEQ

-T-Racks 3's EQ's, particularly the linear phase EQ and the Program EQ


I've been getting great results out of these. They all sound great if you're boosting, and some are pretty good on cpu use. Personally, I find them much more enjoyable to work with than the stock eq's in my DAW.

Old 26th June 2009
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

For correcting and non coloring EQ, Give Flux:: Epure II a try ...
It is more mastering oriented, but I put it more and more often on tracks especially to clean things up. One of the best ITB EQ on earth.

Duende X-EQ is good and clear but not so special in my ears.
Old 26th June 2009
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans View Post
Apparently you have those ears that you can't trust

Result of a bounce in logic of 5 second white noise file with no EQ inserted on track one and the same file with EQ inserted on track two with inverted phase:

Sound is much more than that.
Complex Harmonics.

All EQs sound diferent, specially the filters.

some amplifiers, and DACs, and loudspeakers are not transparent enough.
so every EQ seems the same, but they are not.
Old 26th June 2009
  #22
Take your null tests and #$%T^##%^ 6#%^#%^%#^#.

Seriously, i use my ears not some null test, as i have stated before, i remember a shoot out long ago where they rendered the same song in 5 different daws, they all sounded different, but they all nulled!!!!!!!!

could care less about null.

I was wondering if i would like the duende channel strip, if it would give me a musical usable eq. I really like the algorythmix red, but its not mac.
Old 26th June 2009
  #23
Lives for gear
 
filterfreak's Avatar
 

just do one thing: check out the SPL EQ RANGERS!

IMHO by far the best mixing-eq-plugins!
Old 26th June 2009
  #24
Lives for gear
 
chrisrnps's Avatar
 


Last edited by chrisrnps; 27th June 2009 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Unnecessary poking-of-our-antihero-protagonist-with-sticks. It's Friday and it's a beautiful sunny day outside.
Old 26th June 2009
  #25
Lives for gear
 
chrisrnps's Avatar
 

Seriously, though, listening to VAC backcatalogue stuff, it sounds like what you're not liking about the Logic and other "characterless" software EQs might be that they don't "destroy the sound" in a way that you want - that they're too "literal" and "vanilla". There's a certain "wash of upper-harmonic distortion tizzyness" in your sound that I don't think you're going to find in a software Logic EQ or SSL software EQ* direction, unless it was already in the source tracks to begin with.

You've already got some hardware EQ strips that you say you do like. Why not use software for when you want "surgical / corrective" and use those Chameleon and Onyx channels* to "bounce through" (or better yet, record it that way "on the way in") when you want that other elusive "musical / creative" thing you're going for - seems a "hybrid" solution might suit the style rather decently, although it might be a more time-consuming and trial-and-error workaround (but IMHO that's a sacrifice you may have to live with doing such layered productions in an entirely laptop-based setup). You're essentially saying "I've got two boxes sitting right here next to me that do exactly what I want, but instead of plugging in a couple cables, how can I spend several hundreds of dollars on more software EQ plugins. Oh, by the way, I hate all software EQ plugins."

You're probably sequencing synths and samplers and recording them through the Onyx or Chameleon Labs channels anyway, right? So save your presets, take notes, and just re-record the track with different EQ settings if you need to change something. Boom. Done. Problem solved.

Unless your next album is going to be the next Steely Dan, and not the next Velvet Acid Christ, which, judging from all these recent threads, would not be an entirely unreasonable conclusion to draw.

With the "search for EQs", "search for samplers", "search for the ultimate kick drum sample playback", "search for MIDI timing that's tighter than an atomic clock" quests you've been posting about, I have to wonder - did you lose or have to get rid of a bunch of equipment that you used to be happy with? Is there a reason you're not just using what worked well for you in the past? Are you now dissatisfied with the work you did in the past, so you're looking for different software and hardware to try and "reinvent the wheel"? Or are you trying to do something deliberately different or "take it to the next level" with your new material?

Or... and forgive me if this is getting too personal or "new agey" and reading-between-the-lines ...might you be nitpicking the equipment as a subconscious tactic to procrastinate dealing with a case of writer's block? You've put out a ton of well-produced-sounding material before - the way it sounds like you're letting or making "the equipment" become an obstacle instead of a tool at your disposal, combined with the knee-jerk defensiveness and implicit insecurity of your replies to peoples attempts at advice is sounding increasingly like you're using it as a crutch to avoid dealing with something internal (and I don't mean "in the box"). Are you actually working on any new music, or are you getting caught in a vicious circle of "I've been sitting here testing equipment for a year, and I can't start until everything's perfect, and I've saved up to buy the next shiny black box with blinking lights, which I'll then decide I'm not happy with after I've had it for three days"?

If you're unhappy with the Logic Pro 8 stock channel EQs, but you like the "Neve emulation" sound of a UAD "Neve" plugin and your Chameleon "inspired by..." rack unit, the typical notion of an "SSL sound" is going to be a bit closer to the former "clean" than the latter "character"*.

(* Gearslutz-specific disclaimer: No, I'm not saying that the Logic Channel EQ "sounds like an SSL" or a Mackie "sounds like a Neve". )
Old 26th June 2009
  #26
Right on about the EQs on the Onyx desk - they're NOT subtle. I know where the OP is coming from the EQs in Logic are too small and clinical. I find that I need excessive amounts to change anything and in doing that mucks up the sound.

That's precisely why I mix totally OTB on a mixing desk w/ hardware effects, eq and comp inserts.
Old 26th June 2009
  #27
Lives for gear
 
chrisrnps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Right on about the EQs on the Onyx desk - they're NOT subtle. I know where the OP is coming from the EQs in Logic are too small and clinical. I find that I need excessive amounts to change anything and in doing that mucks up the sound.
Exactly - what one might want to use for "corrective tweaks" may not be the same as what one might want to use for "big broad brush strokes".

The "curves" of things like Neve EQ emulations and budget-console "British EQ" strips like the Onyx are broader curves that can still sound "musical" when doing more drastic boosts and cuts, and the more limited range of choices / controls can actually be a good thing for what they're good at, but aren't clinical and precise enough to do "corrective surgery" that other EQs (including some of the stock Logic ones) are arguably great at. The "shape" of the EQ curve on the Onyx and designs like it actually changes with the amount of boost or cut, which can make it more "forgiving" in some situations.

With, what, six fully-parametric bands with ludicrous amounts of boost or cut in the Logic EQs, it's dangerously easy to sweep your way into a garbled Matterhorn mess in ways that simpler hardware designs won't even let you.
Old 27th June 2009
  #28
Gear Addict
 

^^^ excellent post. your last line pretty much sums it up.
Old 27th June 2009
  #29
More than anything, i wanted this thread to be about good software eqs, or uad and duende or powercore.

I need to fix some of my bass issues, i also need to learn how to side chain in logic :(
Old 27th June 2009
  #30
Lives for gear
 
chrisrnps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
More than anything, i wanted this thread to be about good software eqs, or uad and duende or powercore.
I thought you had said UAD wasn't an option in the first post (no ExpressCard slot, I'm guessing).

Quote:
I need to fix some of my bass issues, i also need to learn how to side chain in logic :(
Bass issues - how stuff is sitting in the mix, or how bass sounds through your monitor speakers in your room? Or both? Handy with a stapling gun, a 12-pack of OC703 fiberglass sheets, an armload of 1x2" lumber, 3M spray adhesive, "L" brackets, eyelets and picture wire and a few yard and a half cuts of felt?

Not sure what sidechaining has to do with EQ (unless you're EQing the sidechain signal to make a dynamics processor react differently), but YouTube - how to sidechain in logic pro 8
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump