The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
What software eqs?
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

The EQs are excellent In Logic Pro.

Sonnox are very good as well, but some of the best mixes I've ever heard have been done entirely on Logic.
Old 27th June 2009
look what I found to my delight!

Universal Audio | UAD-2 SOLO/Laptop

Holy crap, now i can use it on a laptop!!!!! stoked!

i wonder how powerful it is vs the real cards.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
Take your null tests and #$%T^##%^ 6#%^#%^%#^#.

Seriously, i use my ears not some null test, as i have stated before, i remember a shoot out long ago where they rendered the same song in 5 different daws, they all sounded different, but they all nulled!!!!!!!!

could care less about null.

I was wondering if i would like the duende channel strip, if it would give me a musical usable eq. I really like the algorythmix red, but its not mac.
true, i understand.
but i find the RED too grey, and lifeless, it does sound interesting for some acoustic things but for electronic.
crisoniq cryq minium phase EQ is great, also...
izotope ozone analog, sounds much more detailed and analog than Algorithmix Blue.
some people like more the psp masterQ over ozone, but i dont.
t.racks2 is less than yamaha type2 eq,
t.-racks3 yellow classic EQ sounds much better than v2, sounds verry Tube, sometimes nice, sometimes dont, sadly Q ranges are limied.
tc EQSat sounds great analog too.
mcdsp sounded similar to ozone, but i liked more ozone analog.
kjaerhusaudio geq7 also sound very analog.
ozone digital sounds strange, but the filters sound verry transparent.
im so tempted to buy sonictimeworks eqv1-lp:
the "normal" STW EQ sounds also verry analog, specially the low pass filter with resonance.
sadly the hipass only goes to 4khz. thats a bummer.
the Roland eq also sounds analog, vs2480cd / MMP-2
SPL Free Ranger sounds transparent, and the highs has some interesting sound.
Yamaha 01x = Type2 eq also sounds interesting if mixed with GEQ7
i dont like sonnox, i think PSP ClasicQ sQuad sounds more analog, but its verry limited.
behringer ddx3216 also has a nice DSP algorithms.
i hate limited eqs.
Old 27th June 2009
What I really want to know is, what will i be happier with?

duende, powercore, or uad?

I want great eqs that boost highs well, that enhance bass well.

Good for cleaning up mud.

I was not impressed by the dimension d or ce1 or the space echo on the uad1 at all. or the verbs. i like the verb on the powercore ok, but dont need verbs. i need eqs, and compressors.

which one sounds better and more hi fi?
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I need to fix some of my bass issues, i also need to learn how to side chain in logic :(
#1. well, that changes things, sonnox ive heard it has something powerfull in the bass.
i just dont like it for mids, and highs.

#2.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

i need eqs, and compressors.

i like TC EQSat,
and also has Powercore 01, sh-101 emulation that sounds verry nice.

duende buss compressor sounds great, the eq also has some magic but cant remeber if was the G or the E.

uad. the nevana also 88rs sounds verry nice. and the dbx vca emulation too.

sonic core, is verry complete, has great synths.

tough one.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I was not impressed by the dimension d or ce1 or the space echo on the uad1 at all. or the verbs. i like the verb on the powercore ok, but dont need verbs. i need eqs, and compressors.

Sounds to me like you need to try them. It's personal pref. Some people like the ssl sound some dont some people like Neve some dont. Like i said above use the tool that gets the job done the quickest and easiest and how you want it.

At the end of the day you should be able to excellent results most of the DAW included EQs and the other third party eq's may do something you like more or maybe less. We could sit here and tell you which we like but we are not you. Most people on here have gone round the mill trying all the different eqs till they come up with ones the like.

Also some eq's work better on different sources, so maybe you need a few different flavours. Why not get a really clean surgical eq like the sonnox stuff and also some of the stillwell,abbey road,uad,waves for a different flavour. Try out the demos

Ben
Old 27th June 2009
Quote:

i'm looking at UAD EQs myself just now. im very impressed with the Harrison and the Helios. to be honnest for me the Helios69 is the one i don't think i could live without. for low freq stuff it just sounds fantastic. i would say the Helios is the one for mud cleaning.

i say get the uad and demo all the eqs. then buy the helios69
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post
Sound is much more than that.
Complex Harmonics.

All EQs sound diferent, specially the filters.

some amplifiers, and DACs, and loudspeakers are not transparent enough.
so every EQ seems the same, but they are not.
Do you understand what it means when files null? I bet you do but just to be safe it means all points in the waveform cancel each other out: the waveforms are PERFECTLY IDENTICAL.

Now I'm not saying there's no difference between EQ's but when someone makes the, frankly quite absurb, statement that just by inserting the logic EQ it makes the sound duller, a null test is the perfect way to mathematically prove what I already knew by ear: of course logic's EQ does not dull the sound.

The difference in EQ plugins lies mostly within the frequency response curve. Some curves are designed to be mathematically perfect, others are designed to emulate the response curve of a famous analog EQ (adding a bump here in there in the curve). In the end you can get pretty much the same result (curve) with any EQ plugin by tweaking, which if I'm not mistaken someone here has already tested pretty thoroughly.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
i remember a shoot out long ago where they rendered the same song in 5 different daws, they all sounded different, but they all nulled!!!!!!!!
Link please...?
Old 27th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans View Post

In the end you can get pretty much the same result (curve) with any EQ plugin by tweaking, which if I'm not mistaken someone here has already tested pretty thoroughly.
you can almost null any software eq with a standard logic eq, im sure.
3 points:

1) ALMOST null is not null and i know from my own recent blind A vs B tests modding my mixing desk, that even a tiny difference is enough to make a sound feel different, especially multiplied over many channels.

2) some simulated EQs change the signal dynamically EG, the UAD Harrison 32C, this is something that you would have a real problem nulling with logic eq.

3)
it's also about user interface: yes you can null with logic eq but you get much quicker, much more pleasing results with a good interface
EG take that Harrison again (not that you could null it easily). its eq is subtle and qute restrictive, what i mean by that is you can't change the boost a huge amount and it has quite a shallow Q, which you cant change. this restricted pallet is something you'd have to be very disciplined to get out of the logic eq, if you’re like me, you'll end up narrowing the Q and giving it more boost. the Harrison stops you from doing that. sometimes less is more and a good interface will force you into the right place musically.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
you can almost null any software eq with a standard logic eq, im sure.
3 points:
Agreed on all points. You have to find the EQ which gives you the results you want the quickest. Does not mean one is inferior to the other, which is all I'm saying.
Old 27th June 2009
Sonalksis plugs i have sound nothing like the standard logic eqs. Sorry.

I am not buying this Null test BS. In fact, stop bringing up null crap here, I am sick to death of, it nulls, it nulls, i don't care about nulling.

I care about how people with good ears hear things, and how they like this or that plug in. Nuff said.

My ears tell me that the sonalksis and the logic eqs are very , and i mean , very different sounding to my ears, even on similar settings.

The UAD up samples then down samples in real time to do the math, and i know that has an effect on the sound.

Phase eqs can sound similar yes, but get out of my face with this null stuff already, i told you a million times, i don't care about null.

I'm not going to do a test to validate my opinions for you null freaks, think what you want, if you don't agree, fine, i'm not talking to you.

It's almost like someone from apple or logic gets offended and comes in to defend their stuff, look, i don't like the damn eq in logic 8, get over it. I want something better.

And don't give me this all EQs sound the same BS. I have used the algorithmix red eq in wavelab on super high render settings and know for a fact it is light years ahead of most all other digital eqs.

DONT CARE ABOUT NULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

You want a link? It was a test that I did ages ago, long gone. Reaper, cubase 3, sonar, saw, sequoia. They all sounded a lot different to my ears, and i could get them to null. I never trusted nulling after that again. I use my ears. I dont care what people think.
Old 27th June 2009
jesus chill out. No need to be so extreme all the time.

Go buy a UAD2 SOLO laptop card and try their demos that should quite you down.

They have the most EQ and Comp emulations and if you are going to find anything you like software EQ and compwise - it will be there - it is their speciality. For Bass = Neve 1073/1082 or Helios. Pultec is free and reknown for its bass.

If you ran a PC or Mac VST application I would also point you to Nebula EQs as they are by far the most analogue EQs ITB I have tried and I use them exclusively to boost.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sonalksis plugs i have sound nothing like the standard logic eqs. Sorry.

I am not buying this Null test BS. In fact, stop bringing up null crap here, I am sick to death of, it nulls, it nulls, i don't care about nulling.

I care about how people with good ears hear things, and how they like this or that plug in. Nuff said.

My ears tell me that the sonalksis and the logic eqs are very , and i mean , very different sounding to my ears, even on similar settings.

The UAD up samples then down samples in real time to do the math, and i know that has an effect on the sound.

Phase eqs can sound similar yes, but get out of my face with this null stuff already, i told you a million times, i don't care about null.

I'm not going to do a test to validate my opinions for you null freaks, think what you want, if you don't agree, fine, i'm not talking to you.

It's almost like someone from apple or logic gets offended and comes in to defend their stuff, look, i don't like the damn eq in logic 8, get over it. I want something better.

And don't give me this all EQs sound the same BS. I have used the algorithmix red eq in wavelab on super high render settings and know for a fact it is light years ahead of most all other digital eqs.

DONT CARE ABOUT NULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

You want a link? It was a test that I did ages ago, long gone. Reaper, cubase 3, sonar, saw, sequoia. They all sounded a lot different to my ears, and i could get them to null. I never trusted nulling after that again. I use my ears. I dont care what people think.
Well buy the algorithmix red then ??!?!?!?!
Old 27th June 2009
Link? for the Nebula EQs?

Thanks. Seriously, i have stated over and over, this thread is not about null BS. and no one listens and keeps bringing it up, it's annoying. This thread is not about nulling eqs and daws, there are other threads for that, just search and you will find them on here.

Problem with the red EQ is, it is a complete processor hog in all its glory, not usable in a live mix on high quality. It is PC only, and I am on the mac in logic, no thanks.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Link? for the Nebula EQs?

Thanks. but seriously, i have stated over and over, this thread is not about null BS. and no one listens and keeps bringing it up, it's annoying.

I'm not here to prove anything to anyone. My opinions are just opinions. it's not a pissing match to me, honestly. if you don't agree with me, go away. I don't agree with a lot of the bs on here, and i just don't respond to it.

Problem with the red is, it is a complete processor hog in all its glory, not usable in a live mix on high quality. Its is PC only, and I am on the mac in logic, no thanks.
Abbey road plugins? Have you tried the mastering ones and the brilliance pack for colour style ?
RNDigital Labs | Plug-ins | UNIQUEL-IZER - this for clean?

Ben

p.s I don't think there is a lot of BS on here i think there is some great advice if you dont shout at everyone. Re the Null test if you can hear a difference in null files then cool but when you are asking about soft EQ you have to accept that the null argument will come up somewhere in the post as people have quite strong views on it.
Old 27th June 2009
Honestly, I am tired, and i get cranky. Don't mean to get so nasty.

Ahahaahahah. Its 4 in the morning, and i have yet to sleep. Pulling my hair over of my mixes and need eqs to mess with the bass better cause i just don't get it done with the logic plugs. I thought I would be able to.

I tried running out into my chameleon labs neve clone eq, but guess what, my fireface 800 converters, well, they don't do a good enough job on stuff when i record it, run it back out, then back in. something happens to the sound that i hate, it loses something. Maybe i need some lavery blues or blacks to pull this off.

I know for a fact, I love my neve clone eq, and my onyx eqs better than any of the stuff I have in the box, but my converters don't do my stuff justice when convert over and over again :(

What I need is something I can use on every track, I don't need some overly complicated mastering EQ like the RED.
Old 27th June 2009
Acusticaudio

That seems to be PC only, so no nebula for me.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

at this point in the discussion - i get the feeling you look like your avatar

btw - there is a nubula for mac in late beta stage - have a search on acoustica website as they provide the link
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Actually re clean good eq ive just downloaded the latest update to my uniquelizer Le and it now has realtime analyzer as well. Its a really good clean eq. Try the demo out

Dont worry about being crankiess my preciousssssssssssssss

Ben
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since you don't give a sh*t about science and what really matters, go use your ears with hardware eqs.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

fwiw, the Logic Channel EQ and Berhinger PEQ unit sound pretty identical on synth material when it comes to cutting.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

has ANYONE asked the OP if his room is treated, if he has EVER made a mix that did translate well and how experienced he is?

i'm stunned about the nonchalance that "good advice" is given – maybe resulting in making him spend hundreds of $, and in the end all he'd need is a proper room and proper "listening education". no? i know this is GEARslutz, but are you 100% sure that the OP (and i mean any member that posts a problem) knows REALLY what he is talking about.

i'd prefer to have questions asked with *a little* closer explanation of the who and what and how.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

The OP denies null tests. He basically states that 2 identical waveforms sound different. I think the problem is with his ears, not the gear.

I mean yeah, trust your ears, use whatever that works, but no gear, software or room treatment will correct ignorance.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

A seasoned engineer/producer should be able to use pretty much any EQ and get decent results. If you can't get the bass to sound right with EQ then maybe use a different bass sound, or a multi-band compressor to knock it into shape. The tools available in standard software are incredible these days. It's not really an excuse to blame the tools.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

thank you – that's what i mean.
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Addict
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Why let facts get in the way of a good argument!
Old 27th June 2009
would now be a good point to mention null tests?
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

could some peoplle volunteer to be a null testes?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search