The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Waldorf XTk Cosmetic Repairs
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Head

Waldorf XTk Cosmetic Repairs

I recently picked up an XTk off of eBay that is in great condition overall, but has a few small problems. They're minor, but I'd love to restore it to a like new state. The first is a handful of keys that are above or below the rest; the ones above have normal action but just are a little out of place, but the ones pushed down have barely any resistance left at all and feel odd when playing. If you look underneath the keys themselves, one of the ones that is pressed down actually has part broken off underneath - I have no no idea how someone could do that without jamming something in there. I have come across guides on how to open the unit properly, but don't know how to approach this. Is it feasible for someone without much technical expertise to just adjust these so they're at least at the right height or, better yet, to fix the action on the depressed keys?

The other issue is the very common missing rotary encoder caps. I've searched quite a bit on the internet but haven't found a solution; the only real answer I've come across was on the XT mailing list archives which mention a Swedish electronics website and a part number, however that part is no longer available. Does anyone have any leads on where to source these? Thanks!
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...der-knobs.html

I've tried the repetitive turning method and that has remedied a few jumpy encoders.
Old 25th June 2009
that will work
FYI there's the Waldorf (email) user forum: [email protected]
just send an email there and you're in. Very knowledgable people.
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Head

Thanks guys! Actually, I did come across that thread - definitely good to know for future reference. The only problem with the rotary encoders is that some of those little plastic caps are missing. Not a big deal; I may just try to find another suitable replacement, but my OCD side wants to get this synth looking pristine. The keyboard assembly itself is the main issue because it affects the action when playing, but it's also not an end of the world type problem either.

I'll try the mailing list and report back here if I can coerce some good answers out of everyone there!
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

To see the damage with your XTk keyboard you will need to dissemble it and replace the broken parts. Sometimes the problem is a disconnected spring and sometimes broken keys. These are generic fatar keyboards, you should be able to find replacements.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search