St. Germain sells out!
Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

Commercials ruined bassment jax imo
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
If you are that idealistic... you can always become a Bhudist Monk and go down tht road... hey... the things that we humans get up to on a daily basis....welll....if you stop to think about it... you might not want to go through with your day. I was on a ferry crossing one day and in the cargo deck there was a smi trailer with about 2000 live chickens all stuffed into little plastic cages ...they couldn't move and were destined for some further demise at the end of their journey, but here I was free to observe...I thought about letting them all out...but even beyond that ,, where does any of that connect to your conscience and then that can of worms opens..
Of course that makes me think of the chicken sequence from Baraka (Michael Stearns composed the soundtrack with contributions by Dead Can Dance).

Baraka: Music from the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Birth control pills?? and that's a problem?
BC is not the problem it is that those particular pills are linked to increased deaths and cancer -- which was most likely known by the company.

I heard this on the radio today:
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Everyone likes to F&69K......population is growing exponentially on a planet with finite real estate and ever dwindling natural resources vital for sustaining life. We can put a man on the moon,, but we can't figure out that people F88king make more people than the planet can handle... maybe we should get NASSA to work on the problem instead of dip**** asshole politicians / religious fanatics.
Just for a little perspective...

From National Geographic, 2011:

"Standing shoulder-to-shoulder, the entire world's population could fit within the 500 square miles (1,300 square kilometers) of Los Angeles."

From here:

"Population in the world is currently growing at a rate of around 1.14% per year. The average population change is currently estimated at around 80 million per year.

Annual growth rate reached its peak in the late 1960s, when it was at 2% and above. The rate of increase has therefore almost halved since its peak of 2.19 percent, which was reached in 1963.

The annual growth rate is currently declining and is projected to continue to decline in the coming years. Currently, it is estimated that it will become less than 1% by 2020 and less than 0.5% by 2050."

"The latest United Nations projections indicate that world population will nearly stabilize at just above 10 billion persons after 2062."

Quote:
If you are a religious fanatic that just can't tollerate engineered birth control then... my apologies in advance.
If you are referring to the HL ruling, that's not what that was about...but I digress. Wrong forum.
Old 3rd August 2014
Whether or not a musician should license an original work is up to them, but in this case the track is based on samples from John Lee Hooker and Miles Davis. I don't know if there was ever a financial arrangement between them and St. Germain, but to license a track containing their material with no possibility of them (or their estates if any?) having a say, seems wrong to me.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

miles davis? what a sellout...

Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well.....don't get me started....because i have some really high idealistic tendencies...
Doesn't really sound like that. Just sounds like you're mad at the world.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Some of the comments on this are awesome....
Right?

What a roller-coaster ride this was, and all in a mere 2 + pages so far!

Let's see, it all started with a few polarized opinions on artists licensing their music for commercials.
Following that, I got an incredible doze of sex-ed offerings, not only informing me that women are 'designed to become pregnant', but also a wonderful overview of how birth control works. The next apex came with a great matter-of-fact breakdown of the world's population growth in recent decades, as apparently - and this I learned on this most awesome thread - it all ties in to birth control after all.

Then it all came crashing back to St-Germain, again, woot.
An artist who hasn't been that relevant since the chill-out/lounge craze of the early 00's.
And of course, discussion ensued on the "sell-out" that he is, or isn't, not excluding the puritans and their dismay regarding this "artists licensing their tunes" process.

Um, music artist have been doing this for decades.
Some call it a sell-out, others call it artists sustaining a living.
Simply a matter of perspective.

Try earning money from your music for say, 10+ years without ever catching a break and going to to a job you hate every day.

Or...

Perhaps you were once successful, and now struggling away in a business who's model went tits-up in recent years.
You're broke, not touring, not DJing, people sort of 'forgot' about you and the new kids, well, they don't even know who you are anyway.

You have a mortgage and a couple of kids to feed, you know, the ones that weren't around when you were 'big' 15 years ago.
Back then the industry was still thriving, if only in its last few years before being vaporized, the days when people went to Virgin Megastore on payday and album sales meant something.
Those glory years; the royalty checks, the touring, the big dj gigs in Miami and Ibiza, the label advances and promotion, when money was flowing in, you know, when you bought that house.

Then one day, the huge offer for a tv advert comes in.
People will hear your track, inquire about it, a new interest in your creative efforts has been resurrected.
Perhaps another go with a new album, a fresh start, maybe more licensing down the road, perhaps scoring for tv or film might sprout from it all, who knows.
You've just been rediscovered as a result of a 30 second tv spot.

Your perspective may have just changed.

Or not.

Either way, it doesn't matter, for no one gives a $hit (not me anyway) that St-Germain licensed a tune for a commercial.
With the exception, of course, of St-Germain himself, and his most loyal fans.
Many of my favorite artists have licensed tracks on numerous tv spots, and it doesn't change they way I listen to their music one bit.

It's really not the topic of licensing itself that prompted this long-ass reply, for there are plenty of similar threads with endless debates.
It's mostly that it's....St-fvcking-Germain.
Artists as such had "I want to make money with this music" written in their DNA.
How is it such a surprise - to some - that it got licensed for a tv advert, funny.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
miles davis? what a sellout...

I would have loved to have been in that marketing and advertising meeting lol.

The location: Madison Ave, ad agency, top floor. A pitch to Honda execs...

"Okay, we think you are going to like this. Scooters are like jazz -- they are unique, not bound by the rules, fast enough to take you onto the open road but slow enough to keep you in constant danger, you can ride on the highway and the sidewalk. The person who rides a scooter is a loner, a rebel -- an artist of life. We think the best person to represent this Honda lifestyle is none other than Miles Davis. When you listen to Bitches Brew in the dark, tripping on acid while you are nodding off on heroin before the coke bullet of the speedball you just slammed picks you up and away, you can really only think one thing -- getting in a scooter and just letting "it" happen. And what is the fantasy there, the emotional truth? You are on your scooter, flying down the sidewalk. You are in the city, you pass the Village Vanguard, and you hear a voice. A raspy quiet voice. You slow a bit. And from the front door of the Vanguard, where yuppies stand in line alongside unkempt musicians who have been woodshedding for 6 months and hope to sit in or cut heads at the the third set, appears Miles Davis, on a scooter. And he says come with me. And you go to Herbie Hancock's studio. And you get to play his Fairlight. And you sample Arps and Moogs and field recordings and you just mangle the hell out if those sounds. That, gentleman, is why we need Mikes Davis as our spokesmodel.

I own a lot of Miles material and have listened intensively to all eras, and I can honestly say I never got a scooter vibe. I could easily see Coldplay doing something for Vespa though.

The only critical feedback I am going to give on music from now on is what company or brand I think that song should represent.

"If you make that compression pump a little more I think this might work for The Gap."

"Throw a BPF on the lead synth and the track practically exudes McDonalds."
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil_g View Post
Just for a little perspective...

From National Geographic, 2011:

"Standing shoulder-to-shoulder, the entire world's population could fit within the 500 square miles (1,300 square kilometers) of Los Angeles."

From here:

"Population in the world is currently growing at a rate of around 1.14% per year. The average population change is currently estimated at around 80 million per year.

Annual growth rate reached its peak in the late 1960s, when it was at 2% and above. The rate of increase has therefore almost halved since its peak of 2.19 percent, which was reached in 1963.

The annual growth rate is currently declining and is projected to continue to decline in the coming years. Currently, it is estimated that it will become less than 1% by 2020 and less than 0.5% by 2050."

"The latest United Nations projections indicate that world population will nearly stabilize at just above 10 billion persons after 2062."

If you are referring to the HL ruling, that's not what that was about...but I digress. Wrong forum.
That is some great research and I do commend you.

But it doesn't speak to the problem of swindling natural resources required to sustain the current population, and it would be interesting seeing the worlds population squeezed into L.A. If you thought that the traffic on the freeway was bad before.......

So really, the other issue is the uneven distribution of resources and food on the planet. Population plays a huge role in that problem depending on the region.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=national theatre;10309091] You seem pretty zealous yourself (not necessarily a bad thing)!

[QUOTE]

You are right... I am a bit of a paradox. I have moments of extreme idealism, and then I will ignore what I know to be the truth because I am powerless to fix it...so I succumb...I think that's fairly common. maybe I'm wrong about that. Not that it excuses the behaviour
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon View Post
I would have loved to have been in that marketing and advertising meeting lol.
the star of the campaign was lou reed, to the tune of "take a walk on the wild side." the howls of dismay were everywhere.

Quote:
The only critical feedback I am going to give on music from now on is what company or brand I think that song should represent.

"If you make that compression pump a little more I think this might work for The Gap."

"Throw a BPF on the lead synth and the track practically exudes McDonalds."
brilliant!
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Selling out is a lot harder than it looks...
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

St-Germain didn't sell out, he bought in.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

It's not selling out.....it's buying in.....(slc punk)
Old 6th August 2014
Ham
Lives for gear

if saint germain sold out by having his music in a commercial then i guess Richard D James is a piece of ****.
terrible logic.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
St. Germain sells out!-image_2362.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search