The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Buss compressor for glueing
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
well try it and compare them together. tbh Sonnox dynamics is seen as one of the best plugin compressors - very versatile. Even tho its not new with a fancy vintage GUI - its a direct port from a high end digital console built for Sony. Put it on the buss - try 15ms attack and 50 ms release, try ratio 2-4, lower the threshold to give 3-4 db compression. Add some of that 'warm' algorithm and maybe try the sidechain EQ to let the bass thru. See what it sounds like...Should be not bad at all. I once read Eric Dalhberg say that he and another pretty closely matched the behaviour of the Alan Smart (cant remember if it was C1 or C2) with sonnox dynamics - so its no slouch...
I wish the sonnox dyn sounded like the smart c2 but it doesn't. First thing I noticed was the sonnox eating up the low frequencies a bit, which the smart c2 doesn't. Then, the whole mix just sounded effortlessly wider with the smart c2 while becoming a bit narrower with th sonnox dyn.

Granted, you must use the tools available at that moment and make something sound good out of it. Yet, saying that the sonnox dyn compares favorably with the smart c2 is a different matter.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

I'll be the first to admit I've hear some pretty amazing results for electronic music done entirely ITB. I think plug-ins have come a long way and can emulate solid state and VCA compressors quite well. It's the tube gear that gives that extra sense of space and depth, combined with the converters. I haven't found a plug-in yet that comes close to a decent vari-mu or optical tube compressor. Or unfortunately a plug-in that can emulate a Sontec equaliser. One day....

I'll have to demo that UAD-1 SSL clone. Pity they didn't include a high pass filter.
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Guru

All right, I'm gonna give away one of my biggest secrets here, because I am half asleep waiting for my leftovers to heat up.

The AU Dynamics plugin that Apple includes in every mac with OSX is absolutely badass, my favorite compressor plugin by far. It has a somewhat unorthodox set of controls, but it is spongey and gluey as all hell and can be made to pump beautifully.

It's the only software compressor I would ever use on any of my mixes. Actually, it's the only plugin compressor I like at all.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
All right, I'm gonna give away one of my biggest secrets here, because I am half asleep waiting for my leftovers to heat up.

The AU Dynamics plugin that Apple includes in every mac with OSX is absolutely badass, my favorite compressor plugin by far. It has a somewhat unorthodox set of controls, but it is spongey and gluey as all hell and can be made to pump beautifully.

It's the only software compressor I would ever use on any of my mixes. Actually, it's the only plugin compressor I like at all.

Gregory Scott - ubk
and I was about to get the Fatso ...thanks u save me a few bucks...hehe, seriously the AU compressor? you threw a bomb there, I will try it for sure,thumbsup
Old 19th June 2009
funny man! heh

(I tried it once, but will do so again LOL)
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Guru

Yeah, I don't like it on individual elements, I only like it on mixes that are already finished and together. It takes things from 'done' to 'radio', which is often what a track needs.

I also use it to pump up old, quiet stuff in my iTunes library, so I don't have to keep reaching for the volume knob. It does particularly well on dirty stuff, because it pumps up the distortions without bombarding the source with any of its own.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th June 2009
Low ratio compressor would be nice for 2 buss final step comp. Light compression is all you should be after at that point.

This is from a Picocompressor3

They still offer the Pico in a PCB format for those willing to work a little to make it go.

Or you can buy a single channel in 500 series from Mercenary.
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Maniac

SSL4000 buss compressor settings for built-in compressor in Logic Pro 8 by Lagerfeldt
http://www.popmusic.dk/download/logi...sslpresets.zip
You should also check Rocket compressor from Stillwell - there are lot's of master buss presets you could use
And V Series comp is also good for this purpose - I prefer it over the SSL
Old 28th June 2009
How necessary is it to bus compress?

I mean, if you get things sounding good, shouldn't you just let the mastering guys glue the whole mix together in mastering?

I am not very knowledgeable about separating mixes on busses. Any time I started doing that, the sound quality seems to go down hill, sound less vibrant and get muddy, especially in the digital domain.

I can see wanting to glue the bass and drums together at times, but i never do it cause i don't ever get good results.
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

You beat me to it.

Isn't this in the realm of mastering?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
How necessary is it to bus compress?

I mean, if you get things sounding good, shouldn't you just let the mastering guys glue the whole mix together in mastering?

I am not very knowledgeable about separating mixes on busses. Any time I started doing that, the sound quality seems to go down hill, sound less vibrant and get muddy, especially in the digital domain.

I can see wanting to glue the bass and drums together at times, but i never do it cause i don't ever get good results.
Old 28th June 2009
not if you mix into the compressor (set it up before building the track)
Old 28th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
not if you mix into the compressor (set it up before building the track)
What do you mean? put an l2 on the master out?

or a bus compressor on the output on your analog mixer?

compress the whole thing?

Before i do my final tweaks, i will throw a limiter on there and crunch it and see what it sounds like, and make final adjustments before i send it off for mastering, is that what you mean?
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Maniac

He means that you should put buss compressor on your master track before starting arrangement and make mixing decisions based on it...
It's a special spice that you add at the start and not the end of your soup making
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone View Post

Isn't this in the realm of mastering?
no it's not
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

i bought the UA 4k buss comp a few day ago and really liked the sound i was getting when putting it on my older projects , just a shame yesterday my UAD-2 Quad suddenly packed in working for no reason i wonder how much a long technical phone call from the UK to California on a BT phone line is going to cost me (Error 51 , DSP communication error anybody ?)
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post
the waves api2500 emulation sounds exactly like the hardware, see gear shootouts, has 2 compressor modes, forward and back, one sounds great.
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Guru

Maybe when he said it sounds 'exactly like the hardware' he meant 'nothing at all like the hardware'?

Because that I'd have to agree with.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 21st July 2009
Lives for gear
Waves Api 2500 sounds good but really not comparable to the hardware, which has more punch, sounds more natural and alive.
I guess he wanted to say, that the Waves Api 2500 sounds exactly like the Waves Api 2500
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Addict

This thread is a bit old, but if you still are wondering about the UAD PBC and maybe others, you can kindly ask UAD for a demoreset. They will give you another two weeks of demo time. If've done it a view times before buying new plugins and they've always done a reset. They've been the kindest company to me so far when it comes down to demotime.

I find the term "Glue" very difficult. The PBC is very transparent, but it's usualy the colored plugins that seem to "glue" more. Check out the 4k or the Neve 33609.

What about your music doen't glue?
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Also - have a look for the SSL compressor emulation presets that were made for the Sonnox dynamics I think by Paul Frindle himself - the designer or the Sonnox range and Proaudio DSP. Lets not forget that Paul worked for SSL for many years. That guy seriously knows his ****.
Does anyone have these settings for the Sonnox Dynamics plug? I think I found them years ago, but they were for PT, and I'd really love an AUPreset or fxp of it!
Old 22nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyallan View Post
Does anyone have these settings for the Sonnox Dynamics plug? I think I found them years ago, but they were for PT, and I'd really love an AUPreset or fxp of it!
well... my Sonnox came with the SSL presets. if u dont have them check it out here
http://www.medwaystudios.com/forums/...tches-217.html

Has anyone compared the Waves SSL-Duende vs the SSL emulation of the Sonnox Dynamics?
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear Maniac

Wicked, thanks.

My Sonnox dynamics only came with an iLok and 5 or so presets which I've never actually looked at

Off to do some copying down!
Old 13th April 2010
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebastian21 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys, I just wanted to hear of anyone who has experience with the UAD precision buss compressor and how it compares to Sonnox for example. I tried the UAD Ssl buss compressor but I didnt get the results I expected. the "Glue" plug in demo expired for me and I wasnt really testing it like I should have so I missed that boat.
so...its between the UAD buss compressor or just use the Logic+Sonnox plug ins.
This is just for Dance music guys so please recommendations based on that fact.
Right now in my Drums Buss I have a chain that goes. Logic eq--Multipressor- Sonnox inflator-Sonnox Transmod-Tape Head.
I'm a little late coming to this thread, I just saw it coming from referral links to my page so I thought I should post anyway since people are still reading it.

It's easy enough for me to extend the trial period of The Glue, and each new version automatically resets it too, so please contact the support email via this page if you need an extension: Contact | Cytomic

Also, there is a good dance music example of The Glue in action here using an electronic mastering preset which makes use of the Range knob to glue the mix together and make things snappy but not over compress: http://www.cytomic.com/files/the-glu...jolle-doof.mp3
Old 13th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic View Post
I'm a little late coming to this thread, I just saw it coming from referral links to my page so I thought I should post anyway since people are still reading it.

It's easy enough for me to extend the trial period of The Glue, and each new version automatically resets it too, so please contact the support email via this page if you need an extension: Contact | Cytomic

Also, there is a good dance music example of The Glue in action here using an electronic mastering preset which makes use of the Range knob to glue the mix together and make things snappy but not over compress: http://www.cytomic.com/files/the-glu...jolle-doof.mp3
he he good to see you Andy - come on - whats next for Cytomic?...
Old 13th April 2010
Cytomic

Quote:
he he good to see you Andy - come on - whats next for Cytomic?...
Hey SWAN808 - I'm not going to reveal just yet what the next product is but I can say it won't be an eq or compressor this time, but more of a creative modulation effect. I know that is pretty vague still but hopefully the suspense will be worth it

Releasing The Glue has also opened some interesting doors, I'm talking to a few different people at the moment about some very cool projects, but it's still early stages.
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Addict

The famous 3630 to make the track "breathe" around the kick followed by a trip through the tape machine ! That is how we do it in france
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thick accent View Post
The famous 3630 to make the track "breathe" around the kick followed by a trip through the tape machine ! That is how we do it in france
haha love the name, made me read your post in a hugely outrageous french accent
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thick accent View Post
Tell do you use modified 3630's or stock ones?
Old 14th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushton View Post
Tell do you use modified 3630's or stock ones?
I have seen them hotrodded and I have seen them with customized inputs/outputs but... Mine is not modified and it still is a miracle. It is not so good for much apart from to pump the mix but it is so good at that for 150eur... it takes a little from the bottom but Eq can fix that , yes !
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

Listening to some audio examples on GS, this sounds like a nice SSL style compressor:

TK Audio BC1 Stereo Buss Compressor

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search