The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
MIDI controlled external filter rack?
Old 16th June 2009
MIDI controlled external filter rack?

Im thinking about teaming up an external filter with my Prophet 600. The one that seems to have the best options is the Akai MFC42 but they seem fairly scarce. Im wondering if there are any options but the main point is that I want a ADSR envelope that can be triggered via MIDI....so that rules out the Electrix ones and the Allen and Heath....any others?
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

There's the Waldorf half rack thingy. Not sure if it has an ADSR.

Sherman Filterbank has what you want.

If you have tons of cash check out the Schippmann Ebbe und Flut. Not ADSR but slightly simpler envelope, plus compression and distortion.
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
There's the Waldorf half rack thingy. Not sure if it has an ADSR.
Miniworks! Checked it out, it has two ADSRs
Old 16th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
Miniworks! Checked it out, it has two ADSRs
thanks sadly - only Lowpass. There was a multimode Waldorf filter but again its very difficult to find...

Im looking to buy a external filter as a cheap way to add analogue multimode filtering to my 2 synth setup (Moog Source and P600)...hence needing MIDI and multimode...

Not much point in me paying for an Ebb unt Flut as I may as well just buy an Xpander or Andromeda...
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

peavey Specturum filter is a filter, VCA, and 2 envelopes you can trigger via MIDI, but unfortunately it's an LPF only.

maybe buy a couple of doepfer modules in a 3u eurorack chassis?
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Guru

Hehe... start a modular! I've got two multimode filters on my Dot Com so I can do stereo processing and let me tell you, it is NICE!!!
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Spectral Audio also makes a 1U rack filter.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Maniac

or you could rack up a 'fooger 101
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

What about a Waldorf Pulse Plus? You get an analogue 4-pole lowpass filter and amplifier with envelopes triggered by MIDI, plus two LFO's with sync... oh, and three DCO's as well, but you don't have to use them
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

The MAM Warp 9 might be a good option. It's apparently based on the Wasp filter & has one of the features I love about the Wasp - the envelope delay. It also has patch memories.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
What about a Waldorf Pulse Plus? You get an analogue 4-pole lowpass filter and amplifier with envelopes triggered by MIDI, plus two LFO's with sync... oh, and three DCO's as well, but you don't have to use them
+1 on that option if you can make do with lowpass only. A Super BassStation would be another great option for the money, since you get a brilliant synth & excellent midi to CV converter as well.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

A Nord modular rack or G2 engine would give you tons of filtering options as well. Not analogue, but way way more versatile than any of the rack mount analogue filter options.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmoorhs View Post
A Nord modular rack or G2 engine would give you tons of filtering options as well. Not analogue, but way way more versatile than any of the rack mount analogue filter options.
Or a micromodular, if you don't want to spend big bucks.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The MAM Warp 9 might be a good option. It's apparently based on the Wasp filter & has one of the features I love about the Wasp - the envelope delay. It also has patch memories.
+1. Also has distortion, LFO, and will either take a audio trigger for the env (with threshold control) as well as a midi one
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got one of these, they're pretty good. I've uploaded the old MAM demo here: warp9.mp3

Not sure how they've managed to get panning out of a single output!
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Got one of these, they're pretty good. I've uploaded the old MAM demo here: warp9.mp3

Not sure how they've managed to get panning out of a single output!
Mine does not have pan
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Old 28th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Im thinking about teaming up an external filter with my Prophet 600. The one that seems to have the best options is the Akai MFC42 but they seem fairly scarce. Im wondering if there are any options but the main point is that I want a ADSR envelope that can be triggered via MIDI....so that rules out the Electrix ones and the Allen and Heath....any others?
Buy a small eurorack modular setup. It won't cost much and you can easily expand it as your huger grows You have plenty of choises for MIDItoCV, ADSR envelopes, filters, etc... You can combine them anyway you want with your other gear.
Old 1st July 2009
Oli
Lives for gear

Hi,

Just a few comments. I have a Pulse (not the plus), a Super Bass Station, and a Modular G2X:

Pulse: Filter is not bad, but really not my favourite. It goes into self oscillation a bit too early for my liking, and can sound thin with resonance, rather than bubbly, organic, bassy, or overdriven.

Super Bass Station: I like the filter in this. For me, still not as nice as a Moog LP, or Spectral Audio Neptune. The problem I have here, is that the envelope triggering for the external input is just rubbish. I'm not sure if this is a fault in my unit, but I have only ever got the most awful garbled rubbish from the external audio input. There are software settings for envelope triggering, but mine is terrible on all settings. Can anyone else share an opinion?

Modular G2: Unfortunately, I think the filters are a huge let down with the G2 series. There are some technical reasons, and I think just some development issues which contribute. I could probably elaborate some more if you are interested. Some expert users have put in considerable effort to work around this, but the filters really don't sound analogue. I don't think there is a wealth of demo material for the G2 synths online, though one could try to look through the posts at electro-music if interested. Also, the original brochures stating that one could design ones own filter models are false; never been delivered on. Another issue with the G2 as an effects processor, is that the DSP's external RAM is only 16 bit, though the internal processing is 24 bit. Unfortunately, memory intensive processes use the 16 bit RAM, and it does show in some situations. I haven't used the original Nord Modular series extensively, but from memory, I think the filters were a bit better. I think overall there was a slightly grainier undertone, possibly from the converters mainly.

I believe the Akai filter you mentioned, doesn't have an envelope follower. Not sure if that's an issue for you. You said you would trigger by MIDI, so I guess it would be fine.

Hope it helps,

Oli
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

Pretty sure the OP want's a multimode filter, already has a Moog Source I see so there's the Moog LPF covered (forget Moogerfooger's).
Of those mentioned the Warp 9 looks like a good bet. Otherwise go modular and make friends with your bank manager...
Old 1st July 2009
I got the Akai MFC 42 filter in the end...incedentally it was from that buyer I mentioned in another thread who wrapped it in only 3-4 layers of bubblewrap and one of the cutoff knobs got bent out of shape in transit....so annoying! The guy wouldnt even admit that it was silly not to box it...

Anyways - its quite fully featured - but as usual - the common theme people saying it is a little bland - is correct. It is slightly lacking in character - but I think its decent enough to keep. Its go quite a nice envelope that I have set up to be triggered from my Prophet 600 - so the Prophet is not multimode. And I got that hooked up to a compressor also - so the prophet is quite punchy.
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Addict

fliterbank Filterbank FILTERBANK!
Old 29th June 2015
Gear Maniac

What's the phaser like in the Akai MFC42? It's analogue right? - And the distortion is analogue too - or dsp? Are there any other fx on it?

thanks

Quote:
I got the Akai MFC 42 filter in the end...incedentally it was from that buyer I mentioned in another thread who wrapped it in only 3-4 layers of bubblewrap and one of the cutoff knobs got bent out of shape in transit....so annoying! The guy wouldnt even admit that it was silly not to box it...

Anyways - its quite fully featured - but as usual - the common theme people saying it is a little bland - is correct. It is slightly lacking in character - but I think its decent enough to keep. Its go quite a nice envelope that I have set up to be triggered from my Prophet 600 - so the Prophet is not multimode. And I got that hooked up to a compressor also - so the prophet is quite punchy.
Old 29th June 2015
woah 6 years later and Ive sold it...its kind of mediocre in sound to be honest...lots of functionality tho...
Old 29th June 2015
Gear Maniac

haha, that says it all I guess! thanks!

Did you keep the moog source? (I think that's what you were using?)

Quote:
woah 6 years later and Ive sold it...its kind of mediocre in sound to be honest...lots of functionality tho...
Old 29th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Bliss View Post
haha, that says it all I guess! thanks!

Did you keep the moog source? (I think that's what you were using?)
no I sold my Source but I loved it...I dont have room for it in my current place. And I upgraded from a P600 to an OB8...
Old 29th June 2015
Lives for gear

MFC42 is great for drums, very fat! Works really well with my Jomox 888.

I don't see the point of attaching it to the output of a polyphonic synth though, in some kind of dual filter *paraphonic* experiment.
Old 29th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have to agree. I had bought one ten years ago when they weren't worth anything and turned around and sold it the next day for maybe $75. Total bland city, IMHO.
Old 29th June 2015
Lives for gear

MFC42

Quote:

Anyways - its quite fully featured - but as usual - the common theme people saying it is a little bland - is correct. It is slightly lacking in character - but I think its decent enough to keep.
I dont think it´s bland in character at all, I think it´s: wet, hyped'ed and sweet.. this could stand for someones bland

LP isn´t as deep/dimensional as more high end filters (the bass is rather hyped and hollow when reso is up, but that is a nice choice of bland to have specially when Lopassing in material over bass tracks that already occupy deeper bass spectrum .. The rest of the filters are fine to very sweet, defiantly nice if you take your time setting up your controls and modulation which brings up that wet character (a little rolandish.. it´s in no way without it´s own character, it just has a bit of inexpensive but good sound vs that creamy deep $ound

2 multi-filters (1x sterio 1xMono) with ADSR envelope, LFO, syncable and everything under midi control (except the lo& hi EQ), everything else if I remember correctly is midi controllable, every button press and every knob tweak and you can store your sounds externally via midi or sysex dump to an external sequencer ..

So it´s excellent in a midi environment unlike most filter that offer limited midi control if any and if it had high end components it would be considered a monster, as is; the MFC42 is kit that didn't cost much yet is always useful..

Pros: it´s worth it for that analog phaser alone ..
Con: distortion is Crap

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search