The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Arpeggiator setting on a Nord Lead 2?
Old 15th June 2009

Arpeggiator setting on a Nord Lead 2?

I'm trying to set my Nord Lead 2 to arpeggiate a single note/key that I press down, or press down and let go (the hold thing). I can get the arpeggiator to function between multiple keys at the same time like when playing a chord, but can't get it to, say, when I hold down a C3 key, have that note arpeggiated out in quarter 8th or 16th notes etc. There are different arp directions like up/down etc, and the closest one I've found to what I'm looking for is Echo, but that's still not it.
Old 15th June 2009
Gear Addict

I never got my head round the arp on my nord 2. I have the rack version so I just used my keyboard to send it's arp to it. If I remember its not like the arp on most synths. not used it in a while.
Old 16th June 2009
I like to sync my ND2 arpeggiator to MIDI clock and in the shift fuctions there are more choices for arpeggiator settings. From the manual:

You can only sync the LFO/Arpeggiator restart. In between the restarts, the LFO/Arpeggiator runs at the rate set with the Rate knob. There are several ways to sync the LFO/Arpeggiator restart to external MIDI clock:

Hold down Shift and press Special.
The display should show the setting for Special function 1:

* Press the Program Slot button A.
* Use the Up/Down buttons to set the value to “5” (eighth notes) or "7"
* Make sure all other Special functions are turned off for this slot.
Do this by pressing the Special button repeatedly and check that the left digit in the display is set to “of”
for all Functions except “1”.
10. Press Shift again to return to “normal mode”.
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

There is a hold function. Just press and hold the shift and the arp selection key. Voila!
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Yep. You want to set, in the Arp settings (which will pop up on the display if you play with the Arp speed knob, I think) the note length and the octave range should be 1 otherwise it will arpeggiate the same note in the octaves above and or below, depending on the direction (Up/Down) settings. If it's one note over one octave then the (Up/Down) settings will not make any difference. Then engage the keyboard hold. That'll give you the same note repeated forever until you press another note. Good for 8th or 16th note basslines.
Old 16th June 2009

I've tried all of the settings recommended and I'm not getting anywhere. It's either I still have no idea what I'm doing, or the NL2 just doesn't have the arpeggiated effect that I want. Why a synth wouldn't have a simple arpeggiator mode like this is beyond me.

Attached is a file so you know what I'm talking about. Just a simple note arpeggiated out. I can't seem to get the NL to do this. The closest thing I've come to is the Echo mode.

I guess it's not possible and I must use a midiclock on another controller or a DAW to get this, right?
Attached Files

arpexample.mp3 (236.9 KB, 3174 views)

Old 16th June 2009

I've come up with some kind of effect by using the LFO1 with a sawtooth. Kind of.

Surely it can't be this complicated . The Nord Lead just must not be capable of this. I'm still not going to rule out that I might be ******** and don't know what I'm doing just yet though. I'm thinking that this synth isn't capable of it especially since it doesn't have a Latch button. I can send midi signals from an external source, sure, that's easy, but I wanted to check if the synth itself could do what I wanted before I resorted to that.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Oh sorry, I was talking about NL3. The NL2 does have a latch button, it's called Hold. You need to hold down shift and press the Arp button (notice it has a red label next to it called Hold)

So now it will hold down any note you play. Adjust the Range to 1. And the Rate to an 8th note. Press a key. And that's your sound.
Old 29th May 2016
Gear Guru

Sorry for the necro thread rebirth, want to ask a question about the Nords and their arps...

Do they transmit their arpeggios as note data..?
also do most Nords transmit cc's from all their knobs..?

I used to have a Nord 1 but was in 95 and I've forgotten..

cheers
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Sorry for the necro thread rebirth, want to ask a question about the Nords and their arps...

Do they transmit their arpeggios as note data..?
also do most Nords transmit cc's from all their knobs..?

I used to have a Nord 1 but was in 95 and I've forgotten..

cheers
you can enable arp midi output. the knobs can be recorded as cc.

have fun
Old 30th May 2016
Gear Guru

Thanks Blinky..
Old 29th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
you can enable arp midi output. the knobs can be recorded as cc.

have fun
And how does one "enable arp midi out"? This lead 2 is one science project. I'm trying to record every note in-sync with Maschine Studio...followed the steps listed above (hold down shift + special) and for some reason the Nord ARP doesn't sync to external MIDI clock...as well as the notes per arp play doesn't record. All I get is the full notes I play...not the arp notes. :/

Last edited by BMedia123; 29th November 2016 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search