The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000
Old 10th August 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000

Hi everyone, I just purchased an Eventide H3000 D/SE and I can't wait for it to arrive. I looked at other models but given my financial situation this is the best I can afford. I know the H3000's are getting pretty old now, I guess I'm wondering how these machines hold up over time. Has anyone here had any horror situations with this model?
Old 10th August 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
Hi everyone, I just purchased an Eventide H3000 D/SE and I can't wait for it to arrive. I looked at other models but given my financial situation this is the best I can afford. I know the H3000's are getting pretty old now, I guess I'm wondering how these machines hold up over time. Has anyone here had any horror situations with this model?
The worst scenario is definitely going to happen. You will want more Eventides.heh

Welcome to the club.
Old 10th August 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The D/SE is the last in the 3000 series and is therefore the youngest. It should hold up well. This is a Pro unit and sounds amazing.

Expect it to change your world of sonic bliss.....

WT - has 2x 3000 series Eventides and love them..
Old 10th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm View Post
WT - has 2x 3000 series Eventides and love them..
There you have it.heh

God, I love being right.heh
Old 10th August 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
eventides are beasts. you shouldn't ever have a problem with the H3000.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
There you have it.heh

God, I love being right.heh
Granted, I have one in my studio at home and the other in a mobile FX-rack at work.

WT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The worst scenario is definitely going to happen. You will want more Eventides.heh
This.

Quote:
Welcome to the club.
Hi ya
Old 11th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
you'll love it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Things that might go "bump" on you:

the buttons under the display and then the other buttons. They are no longer manufactured, but if you find an Oberheim Xpander, you can take it apart and use its buttons since the underlying switches are exactly the same. They can be unsoldered and carefully disassembled and cleaned if they are really bothering you.

the display can go out - probably the backlight? (never had a display issue but others may chime in here with anecdotes and/or replacement info)

transformer can get very buzzy. There is a post somewhere in either high end or geekslutz from Roginator or Barish (I think) that describes why this happens and the things you can do to minimize the problem.

That's about it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
but if you find an Oberheim Xpander, you can take it apart and use its buttons since the underlying switches are exactly the same.

( now, that's cruel... i love my H3000 , but murdering an Oberheim Xpander just to get its buttons... Where's the police when we need it ? tutt heh )
Old 11th August 2010
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
welcome.

you will never regret owning an H3000...

I have a D/SE and an Eclipse, now I just need an 8000... and...

[edit] some H3000's have a transformer hum it's not a big deal - the case vibrates, it's easy to fix, the hum is not in the signal path so it doesn't effect audio unless you have an open mic close by.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
the buttons under the display and then the other buttons. They are no longer manufactured, but if you find an Oberheim Xpander, you can take it apart and use its buttons since the underlying switches are exactly the same. They can be unsoldered and carefully disassembled and cleaned if they are really bothering you.
Hmmm...well...I love my H3000D/SE too, but I don't think I love it THAT much. I actually know a guy who has a trashed Xpander, but the buttons are OK on mine.

Quote:
transformer can get very buzzy. There is a post somewhere in either high end or geekslutz from Roginator or Barish (I think) that describes why this happens and the things you can do to minimize the problem.
I replaced the transformer in mine. The Eventide people are very friendly and helpful. It was very expensive though.
Old 12th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sense of humor on the EM forum seems impaired.

As a matter of fact, years ago when I discovered this fact, I ordered switches from Eventide to repair a Matrix 12. Sadly, neither company still stocks the switches now and I have yet to find a modern replacement.
Old 13th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thumbsup hehehe you're not going to be disappointed thumbsup

I got my H3k d/se about a year ago - after wanting one for nearly 20 years

so my expectations were high.

after about 2 minutes i was grinning madly.

example - take a basic synth patch and run it through H3k's pitch-shifted delays up an octave...shimmery eargasm!!!
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Eventide H3000

I know there is a different forum this should go in but I have found to like and trust the opinions of people in this forum the most.

There is an Eventide H3000B that has the D/SE upgrade kit and has been fully serviced and is in great condition. The guy told me that he wants $1350 for it and won't bend on the price. Is this to much?
Old 19th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
I know there is a different forum this should go in but I have found to like and trust the opinions of people in this forum the most.

There is an Eventide H3000B that has the D/SE upgrade kit and has been fully serviced and is in great condition. The guy told me that he wants $1350 for it and won't bend on the price. Is this to much?
Wow - far too much, got mine for under 800 several years back!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Wow - far too much, got mine for under 800 several years back!!!
Yeah, WAY too expensive. Iv'e got an H3000S and if I wanted to sell it, I'd be asking $900 or so.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ive been eyeing the 3k DSE for a while on bay, i think you can usually get it btwn 900 - 1100. depending on cosmetics..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Way too much.. I wouldn't pay more than $700 for an h3000b..the upgrade is an Eprom kit that you can buy copies of on ebay..but I would hold out for a d/sx or d/se as they are newer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
got my eclipse used, in tip top shape for $1,200

i realize the H3000 sounds different, but i wouldn't pay more than $900 for one
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Way too much.. I wouldn't pay more than $700 for an h3000b..the upgrade is an Eprom kit that you can buy copies of on ebay..but I would hold out for a d/sx or d/se as they are newer.
What would a fair price for a D/SE Ultra Harmonizer be? There's one for $1250.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
What would a fair price for a D/SE Ultra Harmonizer be? There's one for $1250.
In the US i'd say $800-$1000 maybe...Heres one that finished on Ebay recently.

Eventide H3000-D/SE Ultra Harmonizer Effects Processor | eBay
Old 20th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
got my eclipse used, in tip top shape for $1,200
Congrats! You now have 5 x H3000s heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
note that 'fully serviced' may be a good thing and worth the extra cash.

Problems with H3000's - buttons under the display get flakey (hard to fix since there are no new buttons that fit), the display can have problems, recapping needed by now, hum/buzz in transformer.

Get a list of what's been serviced and what's covered under the tech's warranty and it may be worth the extra.

Also - in some cases, it's not just a matter of dropping in new EPROMs for the SE/etc upgrades. Some older H3000's need some small mods (which are documented, but still, extra work).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The H3000 D/SE is worth it's weight in gold to me and they are the nicest sounding units IMHO, BUT I think they are about $1k these days for proper ones (ie: not upgraded earlier models)
Superb devices and well worth the money.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
The H3000 D/SE is worth it's weight in gold to me and they are the nicest sounding units IMHO, BUT I think they are about $1k these days for proper ones (ie: not upgraded earlier models)
Did they used different converters for other versions, i.e SE, B, D/SX ?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
i have a broken 3000 D/SE, where can i get it fixed?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Did they used different converters for other versions, i.e SE, B, D/SX ?
I'm not sure. The D/SE though has all the algorithms (except for some broadcast ones I think) and the models afterwards had "better" converters.
I had an original 3000 then a D/SX and then the D/SE and the SX and SE sounded the same to me, but the SE is the higher spec'd model I think.

In any case, the D/SX or D/SE sound stunningly nice to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I couldn't agree more I've been saying for a bit, the H3000 is the best synth that isn't a synth...

It makes new possibilities with every synth, heck, even ambient sound sources turn into something musical, that said, you need to know how to "play" it like an instrument.

Even the basic H3000 is great bang for the buck!

-andrews
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
D/SE mod is amazing. It requires more than just dropping in Eproms. The cut and jumper work is in a tight area and requires professional soldering equipment to make the mod work correctly.

I'm really enjoying my box here, best sounding effects unit I have ever used. Love bounicing all my sounds through it.
πŸ“ Reply