The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwong View Post
What else is possible with the sampling cards and is it essential since there are much better dedicated samplers in the market?
Long delays/looping in the Mod Factory I & II algorithms.
Old 26th December 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks Italo! I have not played with delay/looping in multi effects processors like this other than those groove looping stuff possible on modern day Jamman, Boss RC, etc.

Do you have any clips on your website that might showcase this?
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwong View Post
Thanks Italo! I have not played with delay/looping in multi effects processors like this other than those groove looping stuff possible on modern day Jamman, Boss RC, etc.

Do you have any clips on your website that might showcase this?
Not really... but it would be simple delay w/high feedback looping, sound on sound... not looping as in sampler_based technology (Jamman and later stuff).
Still a LOT of fun though!

This is the same kind of looping done on Orville, thru pitch shifters for chordal background (the choir!):
http://www.italodeangelis.com/public.../08_Solemn.mp3

And this would be shorter looping of rhythmic captures... freeze_style... done in realtime... lots of fun... can't do that on a Jamman (listen to the drums!!!):
http://www.italodeangelis.com/public...g_Chemics).mp3
Old 26th December 2017
Here for the gear

Beautiful tracks
Guess I might be on the hunt for a sampling card or a 3500 after learning the basics on the H3000DSX.
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Thanks Italo... that's what I was afraid of, argh.

Does anyone know a good Eventide tech in Los Angeles?

I looked everywhere for a reliable tech. Studio Electronics is in LA, but repairs are slow and Mr. Kulka was always out of town when I needed a repair.
Beamish Electronics in Cleveland
They fixed my H3000 up quite nice.
They fix Eventide and Lexicon stuff and some other stuff I can't remember. Very smart guy, named Hugh.
Old 4th January 2018
Here for the gear
A new year and I just got myself a H3000S with the upgrade. I'm now completely broke but extremely happy. Happy New Year y'all!!

Last edited by Jazz Hands; 4th January 2018 at 02:52 PM..
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Addict

Please can someone post a link to what y-cable I’ll need in order to take a 1/4” mono aux out of my board into my (enroute) H3000 D/SE? It seems I will not be able to use just one of the XLR ins as I typically can with other units? The manual isn’t clear on this point.

EDIT:
Will this work?

PLUS

Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

The H3000 has algorithms using different inputs configurations. Somewhere in this thread there might be a chart will all the info.
Some structures are mono in/stereo out, others are true stereo I/O and others have a selectable choice for mono or stereo in/stereo out.
The best way is to run the unit in full stereo, on 2 Aux Sends, so that you can correctly process true stereo sources thru the stereo algorithms.
If you really can't... a "Y" cable is the common solution...
Keep connections fully balanced, for both the inputs and outputs. The jack in your picture looks unbalanced. Better going balanced.
The "Y" cable might be not the easiest thing to find... but make sure it's balanced as well.
Making your own cables IS the best solution as it's cheaper and better than what you find out there.
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
The H3000 has algorithms using different inputs configurations. Somewhere in this thread there might be a chart will all the info.
Some structures are mono in/stereo out, others are true stereo I/O and others have a selectable choice for mono or stereo in/stereo out.
The best way is to run the unit in full stereo, on 2 Aux Sends, so that you can correctly process true stereo sources thru the stereo algorithms.
If you really can't... a "Y" cable is the common solution...
Keep connections fully balanced, for both the inputs and outputs. The jack in your picture looks unbalanced. Better going balanced.
The "Y" cable might be not the easiest thing to find... but make sure it's balanced as well.
Making your own cables IS the best solution as it's cheaper and better than what you find out there.
Hi Italo- Thanks for your reply. Believe me I had already done a full search and read all your previous posts on the topic but I couldn’t tell if the 1/4” for the y-cable needs to be balanced or unbalanced! I would like to go the y-cable route for mono synth use, on the inputs only (output will be stereo return.) So using that XLR splitter above, would a balanced cable like this be good? The Aux sends on my board (Presonus AR12) are, unfortunately, mono (balanced). What would I gain by sacrificing both of them to doubling the same signal?

Amazon.com: Hosa STX-110M 1/4 inch TRS to XLR3M Balanced Interconnect Cable, 10 feet: Musical Instruments
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasterz View Post
Hi Italo- Thanks for your reply. Believe me I had already done a full search and read all your previous posts on the topic but I couldn’t tell if the 1/4” for the y-cable needs to be balanced or unbalanced! I would like to go the y-cable route for mono synth use, on the inputs only (output will be stereo return.) So using that XLR splitter above, would a balanced cable like this be good? The Aux sends on my board (Presonus AR12) are, unfortunately, mono (balanced). What would I gain by sacrificing both of them to doubling the same signal?

Amazon.com: Hosa STX-110M 1/4 inch TRS to XLR3M Balanced Interconnect Cable, 10 feet: Musical Instruments

Well... now things are MUCH clearer.
Eventides like to run +4dB signals on XLRs and keep the connection balanced.
You will need to unbalance the other end of the cables, connected to your mixer/synth. The H3000 has a non-standard pin out scheme so you need to refer to the user manual. It explains how to unbalance the signal.
What will you loose.... well it'll be more noisy... but for synth work it should be fine. So many guitar systems run unbalanced and the H3000 has been (and still is) a guitar rig big hit.
You will need to make these cables or have a tech making them for you, using the manual info.
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well... now things are MUCH clearer.
Eventides like to run +4dB signals on XLRs and keep the connection balanced.
You will need to unbalance the other end of the cables, connected to your mixer/synth. The H3000 has a non-standard pin out scheme so you need to refer to the user manual. It explains how to unbalance the signal.
What will you loose.... well it'll be more noisy... but for synth work it should be fine. So many guitar systems run unbalanced and the H3000 has been (and still is) a guitar rig big hit.
You will need to make these cables or have a tech making them for you, using the manual info.
I’m sorry I still don’t understand- why do I have to unbalance the mixer end of the cable when the mixer is balanced?
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m sorry I still don’t understand- why do I have to unbalance the mixer end of the cable when the mixer is balanced?
You're right. Sorry... I thought I had read "unbalanced".
So that's easier then. You can keep the H3000 in fully balanced wiring as long as the splitter is wired to do so. It should but I have no way to say.
I do my cables.
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
You're right. Sorry... I thought I had read "unbalanced".
So that's easier then. You can keep the H3000 in fully balanced wiring as long as the splitter is wired to do so. It should but I have no way to say.
I do my cables.
So in this case I don’t need to worry about this whole pin 2 and 3 thing? (Sorry, I’m not so much an electrical engineer, just a musician.)
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So in this case I don’t need to worry about this whole pin 2 and 3 thing? (Sorry, I’m not so much an electrical engineer, just a musician.)
It would be better to respect the unit's wiring, that's why I recommend making the cables for it.
Old 6th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
It would be better to respect the unit's wiring, that's why I recommend making the cables for it.
Ok I found this place which will make custom cables. Would this configuration work? Notice there is a place for Special Instructions:
If necessary, please indicate details like pinout specifications, fanout lengths, etc.

If it’s not too much trouble could you tell me what to write there? I really appreciate your help- this is all a bit over my head.

Redco Audio - Audio/Video Supplies and Accessories, Custom Cables and Panels, and more

For the outputs I’m assuming my normal XLR cables will work, if I’m just going to Stereo? Or do I also need special cables made for that?
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok I found this place which will make custom cables. Would this configuration work? Notice there is a place for Special Instructions:
If necessary, please indicate details like pinout specifications, fanout lengths, etc.

If it’s not too much trouble could you tell me what to write there? I really appreciate your help- this is all a bit over my head.

Redco Audio - Audio/Video Supplies and Accessories, Custom Cables and Panels, and more

For the outputs I’m assuming my normal XLR cables will work, if I’m just going to Stereo? Or do I also need special cables made for that?
Use the user manual information for the unit's pin out.
Have them doing ALL your cables for the H3000. All pins are different.
Old 6th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Use the user manual information for the unit's pin out.
Have them doing ALL your cables for the H3000. All pins are different.
Did I read that the pins were different on later models? Do I need to find a manual for my specific unit? It will be a H3500 DFX-E. I only have the pdf from online that has all models combined. (C. 1989-1996)

Also I’m surprised– everyone made special cables for these in order to use them at all, for all cases? So I’d have to buy even more cables for regular (stereo) XLR input? And another 2 sets if I want 1/4” to XLR ones too?
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did I read that the pins were different on later models? Do I need to find a manual for my specific unit? It will be a H3500 DFX-E. I only have the pdf from online that has all models combined. (C. 1989-1996)

Also I’m surprised– everyone made special cables for these in order to use them at all, for all cases? So I’d have to buy even more cables for regular (stereo) XLR input? And another 2 sets if I want 1/4” to XLR ones too?
All H3000/3500s are the same. Any manual will work.
You are surprised? Duly noted. Make your choice... do you want your unit to be in phase or out of phase?
Old 6th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
All H3000/3500s are the same. Any manual will work.
You are surprised? Duly noted. Make your choice... do you want your unit to be in phase or out of phase?
Ok thanks!
Old 12th January 2018
Gear Maniac

I am in! My H3000 S with D/SE upgrade showed up yesterday. Roooo!

How do I tell whether my D/SE ROMs are real?

EDIT: Actually I will just post a photo. I hope that's okay. Let me know if I should delete.
Attached Thumbnails
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000-img_4552.jpg  
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerformimi View Post
I am in! My H3000 S with D/SE upgrade showed up yesterday. Roooo!

How do I tell whether my D/SE ROMs are real?

EDIT: Actually I will just post a photo. I hope that's okay. Let me know if I should delete.
Congratulations.
Hard to tell if those are genuine Eventide eproms.
Someone is selling a set of Eventide D/SE eproms for $375 on Ebay that look exactly the same.

Eventide H3000 D/SE eprom upgrade ORIGINAL RARE NEW | eBay

Then again, those could just be copies.
I wouldn’t be too worried either way.
As long as all the D/SE algorithms and presets are present, it doesn’t make any difference, and you are good to go!
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Congratulations.
Hard to tell if those are genuine Eventide eproms.
Someone is selling a set of Eventide D/SE eproms for $375 on Ebay that look exactly the same.

Eventide H3000 D/SE eprom upgrade ORIGINAL RARE NEW | eBay

Then again, those could just be copies.
I wouldn’t be too worried either way.
As long as all the D/SE algorithms and presets are present, it doesn’t make any difference, and you are good to go!
Thanks for this. It looks like they are real!
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Are the Eclipse reverbs really better? The reverbs on this thing are magic.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerformimi View Post
Are the Eclipse reverbs really better? The reverbs on this thing are magic.
Impossible to say which is better, they sound totally different.
H3000 verbs sound rich, thick and dark, Eclipse verbs much higher resolution.
There’s probably a greater variety of reverbs in the Eclipse, with some very nice modulation (BlackHole, MangledVerb for example).
So basically, having both is the ideal solution.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

You calso do some better reverb refinements on Eclipse as you can load early reflections or multi-band EQs in the other engine and work on reveb definition/coloration/etc...
Reverbs do benefit from higher hardware specs when looking for some specific types of sounds, more inspired to some real life space emulation. Some instruments are much happier in being processed thru this type of hardware.
Ideally one would love to have both units... as always is the case.
It's really nice to have some of the Bricasti spaces on a piano... but some classic piano magic is an H3000 thing too... different styles and ages in music.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You calso do some better reverb refinements on Eclipse as you can load early reflections or multi-band EQs in the other engine and work on reveb definition/coloration/etc...
Reverbs do benefit from higher hardware specs when looking for some specific types of sounds, more inspired to some real life space emulation. Some instruments are much happier in being processed thru this type of hardware.
Ideally one would love to have both units... as always is the case.
It's really nice to have some of the Bricasti spaces on a piano... but some classic piano magic is an H3000 thing too... different styles and ages in music.
Will you be getting the new H9000?
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Will you be getting the new H9000?
I have 2 H8000s and an Orville (plus an Eclipse, an H3000) and countless other machines. Just to say that a need isn't my situation.
The H9000? First off I'll want to hear the sound. ARM processors (the cheapest on the market) aren't giving me spine thrills.
Then... I'd really like to see if a single core/machine is more powerful than a single H8000 DSP as it doesn't seem the same at the moment. I want also see if modules development has been done, with many new ones and bug fixing on some older ones. If ALL of this is there... I might consider a smaller version in time, when they might release it. I don't need 16 presets in a box.
What really counts to me is sound quality, vertical expansion (more power per machine to create larger algorithms), more modules for new possibilities.
And a working Vsig FULLY COMPATIBLE with previous sigfiles as people have invested tons of money and should be kept safe for the works done on those machines. So far... doesn't look very exiciting in several of these areas and a few questions still remain. We'll have to see. The value of this product *as far as we know* at the moment is definitely the studio needing several instances of same/different fx and workflow insert. Personally I need nothing like that. My need is a powerful Eventide capabe of doing MORE and sound at least as good as before.
Time will tell...
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
And a working Vsig FULLY COMPATIBLE with previous sigfiles as people have invested tons of money and should be kept safe for the works done on those machines. So far... doesn't look very exiciting in several of these areas and a few questions still remain.
So far their responses have been a bit unclear.. they said that they by the time the H9000 is released they will also have a new version of VSig for it. They also said that they will be able to maintain a version for the H8000FW but its collection of modules will be different (of course) from the one offered in the H9000. New modules will be available in the H9000 but not in the H8000, which pretty much means (the way I understand it at least), that the new version of VSig will be for the both the H9000 and H8000, but the latter will be no longer supported - no bugs will be fixed, no new modules will be introduced for it, since the DSPs are different.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
So far their responses have been a bit unclear.. they said that they by the time the H9000 is released they will also have a new version of VSig for it. They also said that they will be able to maintain a version for the H8000FW but its collection of modules will be different (of course) from the one offered in the H9000. New modules will be available in the H9000 but not in the H8000, which pretty much means (the way I understand it at least), that the new version of Vsig will be for the both the H9000 and H8000, but the latter will be no longer supported - no bugs will be fixed, no new modules will be introduced for it, since the DSPs are different.
Well...

the H8000 development is just stopped. Not because of the difference between it and the 9000. Just because they end the 8000 to sell the 9000. Simply.
Modules are not what make Vsig unable to work with boty units.
You upload a device modules database to Vsig and it works. So... they simply need to upgrade Vsig to H9000 support and add a command, like "H8K mode/H9K mode" so that it will understand which type of database to expect... one from a DSP4000 to H8000 or one for the new platform. Simple.
No need for back compatibility for modules.
Now... what IS necessary would be a feature in Vsig that allows loading a previous platform sigfile, send it to the H9000 and it will understand it and compile the algorithm correctly. It has always been like that, when going from the 4000 to the next units. It's just a matter of will.
People have tons of algorithms, work done. How would they feel if their stuff couldn't be uploaded to the H9000... even though the (software) platform is basically the same? So... I hope they do some intelligent, sensitive and smart work to keep the current users base as their customers... because your best customer is the one you already have.
Anybody has been and is still able to load any algorithm to/from any machine (DSP4000/4500/GTR4000/DSP4000B/DSP7000/7500/4000B+/Orville/H8000/H8000A/H8000FW/H7600) using the current Vsig, as long as size is DSP compatible and the modules are available (downwards compatibility).
There is no excuse to not allow this great possibility of keeping your own works working on the next unit. This has always been a major Eventide plus.
I hope they realize the value of this and do some extra work (flag the modules, whatever it takes, not a big thing). Will makes it... or doesn't.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Do you guys think that I would find an Eventide Hxxxx worthwhile even after having and using Reaktor, Kyma and Soundtoys plug-ins already?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search