The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000
Old 4th October 2017
  #1741
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Another single preset running on the mighty Orville!

Old 4th October 2017
  #1742
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

For the "Reverse" type of effects... this one features two presets running in parallel... on the mesmerizing Orville...

Old 4th October 2017
  #1743
Lives for gear
 
Paradigm X's Avatar
 

thanks so much for posting that note italo.

sadly my issue seems to lie under the 'Symptoms that cry out "Return this unit to Eventide for repair." category :(

Id love to get a full service done on it so its good for another 10-20 years. Ill have a think.

many thanks
Ben
Old 4th October 2017
  #1744
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
The O sounds so crisp & clean, seamlessly integratjng deep & seemingly endless waves of sonic sorcery.

Old 5th October 2017
  #1745
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
To be fair... this is the MIGHTY ORVILLE!

Love the new YouTube videos with the photos to GAS over and live commentary, italo! And now you are making me want an Orville.

FWIW, the H3000 is quite good at creating textures in these neighborhoods, albeit with far less processing power and flexibility. I've found, in my crummy all-thumbs programming way, that the Multi-Shift algorithm on the H3000 is the one that allows for the most radical pitching shifting, forward and back, delays. I created one patch (featured upthread) that has this incredibly smooth and musical feedback pattern, pitching the delayed notes up and down an octave. If you asked me how I did it, I'm not sure I could tell you -- but it's just a heavenly sound and a go-to for almost any instrument when I'm scrolling through presets in search of some inspiration ...
Old 5th October 2017
  #1746
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naive Teen Idol View Post
Love the new YouTube videos with the photos to GAS over and live commentary, italo! And now you are making me want an Orville.

FWIW, the H3000 is quite good at creating textures in these neighborhoods, albeit with far less processing power and flexibility. I've found, in my crummy all-thumbs programming way, that the Multi-Shift algorithm on the H3000 is the one that allows for the most radical pitching shifting, forward and back, delays. I created one patch (featured upthread) that has this incredibly smooth and musical feedback pattern, pitching the delayed notes up and down an octave. If you asked me how I did it, I'm not sure I could tell you -- but it's just a heavenly sound and a go-to for almost any instrument when I'm scrolling through presets in search of some inspiration ...
You can create some outstanding reverbs with the Multi-Shift algorithm. The secret is in its feedback paths routing, between delays and shifters. Use shifts of a few cents to get some nice detuning in the verb.

http://www.italodeangelis.com/public...lo-s_Space.mp3
Old 16th October 2017
  #1747
Here for the gear
 

Hi,

Ive a issue with my Eventide Harmonizer H3000; there comes a really distorted loud sound/noise out of my left channel on a big part of the presets. I tried to search the internet but i havent found the problem yet. Have you heard about this issue before? Do you might know whats wrong with the Eventide?
Old 17th October 2017
  #1748
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citytracks View Post
Hi,

Ive a issue with my Eventide Harmonizer H3000; there comes a really distorted loud sound/noise out of my left channel on a big part of the presets. I tried to search the internet but i havent found the problem yet. Have you heard about this issue before? Do you might know whats wrong with the Eventide?
Read the post #1727 above.
Old 18th October 2017
  #1749
Lives for gear
 
SP2016's Avatar
DSP4000 Sampler Option

Going through my documentation I found some information of installing a sampler board in the DSP4000.
I thought sharing this information with DSP4000 owners would be appreciated.
It contains the installation instructions and an addendum to the DSP4000 manual.
Please note that 3 IC's have to be replaced.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DSP4000SAMPLER.pdf (2.32 MB, 30 views) File Type: pdf DSP4000SAMPLERMANUAL.pdf (3.59 MB, 37 views)
Old 18th October 2017
  #1750
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Good info to have.
But the thing is these boards were never sold much. They very likely sold less than a dozen and are no longer available.
Old 18th October 2017
  #1751
Lives for gear
 
SP2016's Avatar
I know, but sometimes a sampler board pops up somewhere and it is quite handy to have some information available.
So: A "just-in-case" info.
Old 17th November 2017
  #1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Great thread!

Here are my 2 minty DS/E's... one is dedicated to synth fx duties, along with an Ensoniq EP/4, and the other (in another rack in a different room) for tracking and mixing vox, guitar, etc., along with an Orville and some others.

I actually started with the wonderful Orville and have been so impressed (still ongoing), that I went backwards to expand my Eventide FX capabilities to the vibey and characterful DS/E's.

Here are some pics of that Orville setup in my old home studio CR, and how the DS/E's will be setup in their new racks in our new place.

An outboard FX rig without some Eventide 2-RU beasty is only half an FX rig!


Forgive the double entendre, but that is a nice rack! What do you do for work (or is that all personal?)? I’ve wanted a DP/4 for years but never see them at reasonable cost and condition (at the same time), so I make do with two H9s, three strymon pedals (timeline, el capistan, & Deco), an H3000, ADA1000, Sony HR-MP5, and an old Lexicon 480L for all of my effects duties. As you can imagine, I have to print a lot of effects into the DAW simply because I run out of units to run “live”. End goal is to have enough to have everything I’d ever need available at the patchbay, and hear my compositions played live via MIDI/CV as opposed to tracking parts in... Anyway...I currently use my EMU E5000 Ultra to sample the monosynths and turn them into super-rich polys that then go into the dedicated H3000 D/SE....the machine is something that changed my perspective on sound design.... interesting that I started out with a pair of Eventide H9 pedals and went “backwards” to the 3000 because of a few algorithms in the pedals said to be the same as the 3000. They sound very, very good, but as you know the 3000 is it’s own universe of sound. I wonder how I made music before owning the 3000, as I tend to at least try it out on EVERY track. Using the WA-2A(emphasis all the way up so highs get more comp) after the delays and verbs is just so much fun, you get the grit and unique sound brought up and out of the sound without it sounding like “compressed reverb”.

Thanks for posting a drool worthy set of photos for us to check out! You’ve reignited my search for a DP/4, as well as renewed my interest in programming all my hardware instead of relying on my personal presets (some made years and years ago!).

-Jim
Old 17th November 2017
  #1753
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane View Post
Forgive the double entendre, but that is a nice rack! What do you do for work (or is that all personal?)? I’ve wanted a DP/4 for years but never see them at reasonable cost and condition (at the same time), so I make do with two H9s, three strymon pedals (timeline, el capistan, & Deco), an H3000, ADA1000, Sony HR-MP5, and an old Lexicon 480L for all of my effects duties. As you can imagine, I have to print a lot of effects into the DAW simply because I run out of units to run “live”. End goal is to have enough to have everything I’d ever need available at the patchbay, and hear my compositions played live via MIDI/CV as opposed to tracking parts in... Anyway...I currently use my EMU E5000 Ultra to sample the monosynths and turn them into super-rich polys that then go into the dedicated H3000 D/SE....the machine is something that changed my perspective on sound design.... interesting that I started out with a pair of Eventide H9 pedals and went “backwards” to the 3000 because of a few algorithms in the pedals said to be the same as the 3000. They sound very, very good, but as you know the 3000 is it’s own universe of sound. I wonder how I made music before owning the 3000, as I tend to at least try it out on EVERY track. Using the WA-2A(emphasis all the way up so highs get more comp) after the delays and verbs is just so much fun, you get the grit and unique sound brought up and out of the sound without it sounding like “compressed reverb”.

Thanks for posting a drool worthy set of photos for us to check out! You’ve reignited my search for a DP/4, as well as renewed my interest in programming all my hardware instead of relying on my personal presets (some made years and years ago!).

-Jim
Hey thanks Jim! I guess I have a rack fetish! I went through multiple back injuries and am now disabled and not working. I've lost so much time over it. But, I'm really trying to get back into my music and get the home studio I always wanted up and running.

Always like the Emu samplers! I still have my E4 Platinum, with a loaded PK6 Keys and an Audity module... getting all that smooth Z-plane treatment!

So, the H9 looks & sounds incredible. I think I've balked on it because I'm trying to pull myself away from the computer amap. I'll still probably end up with one at some point just for it's versatility and mobility. But, yeah, the 3000's are special and are in their own FX category.

I also picked up a DP4 and DP4+, but the + has a very noisy (hum/buzzing) transformer, so I need to figure out a replacement transformer because it's just too noisy to sit next to. It was an eBay purchase and otherwise in mint condition, so what are ya gonna do.

Have fun making music and catch ya later!

Old 19th November 2017
  #1754
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane View Post
Forgive the double entendre, but that is a nice rack! What do you do for work (or is that all personal?)? I’ve wanted a DP/4 for years but never see them at reasonable cost and condition (at the same time), so I make do with two H9s, three strymon pedals (timeline, el capistan, & Deco), an H3000, ADA1000, Sony HR-MP5, and an old Lexicon 480L for all of my effects duties. As you can imagine, I have to print a lot of effects into the DAW simply because I run out of units to run “live”. End goal is to have enough to have everything I’d ever need available at the patchbay, and hear my compositions played live via MIDI/CV as opposed to tracking parts in... Anyway...I currently use my EMU E5000 Ultra to sample the monosynths and turn them into super-rich polys that then go into the dedicated H3000 D/SE....the machine is something that changed my perspective on sound design.... interesting that I started out with a pair of Eventide H9 pedals and went “backwards” to the 3000 because of a few algorithms in the pedals said to be the same as the 3000. They sound very, very good, but as you know the 3000 is it’s own universe of sound. I wonder how I made music before owning the 3000, as I tend to at least try it out on EVERY track. Using the WA-2A(emphasis all the way up so highs get more comp) after the delays and verbs is just so much fun, you get the grit and unique sound brought up and out of the sound without it sounding like “compressed reverb”.


-Jim
Great, some very nice quotes for the Cult in there.
I have a WA-2A too (great unit) and was wondering how you use it after the stereo delays and reverbs?
Old 27th November 2017
  #1755
Anyone tried to emulate a Leslie Rotating Speaker with the H3000? Is it possible?
I have a D/SE, just never thought about attempting that before.
Old 27th November 2017
  #1756
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Anyone tried to emulate a Leslie Rotating Speaker with the H3000? Is it possible?
I have a D/SE, just never thought about attempting that before.
You could try the Mod Factory II agorithm as it's the closest structure to get some kind of dual band modulation effect. The H3000 doesn't have ideal algorithms for that task, which is pretty heavy and requires some more modern stuff.

Last edited by italo de angelis; 27th November 2017 at 08:14 PM..
Old 27th November 2017
  #1757
Lives for gear
 
SP2016's Avatar
Did you try the preset 877 SPEAKER SPINNER ?
Old 27th November 2017
  #1758
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Not impressed....
Old 27th November 2017
  #1759
Lives for gear
 
SP2016's Avatar
It was just a suggestion....
Old 27th November 2017
  #1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
Did you try the preset 877 SPEAKER SPINNER ?
Will try it when I get home.
It was just a random thought I had while considering a Leslie simulator pedal. I also have a Moogerfooger Phaser which sort of does that kind of thing - phasey stereo swirling - so I thought maybe others had tried it on the H3000.
Old 28th November 2017
  #1761
Gear Maniac
 
Stolle's Avatar
 

The rotary algorithm in the H9 is surprisingly bad considering how good the rest of the algorithms are.
Old 28th November 2017
  #1762
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
The rotary algorithm in the H9 is surprisingly bad considering how good the rest of the algorithms are.

Try the ones on the big Eventides and you'll have a ball!
Old 1st December 2017
  #1763
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Please help! TMS320 Loading Error

I've recently setup and began using a new (used) H3000 D/SE (1 of 2 posted above in this thread). Everything was working perfectly, except for a slightly loud hum from the transformer, which is a pretty common thing for these older units. I've probably created some 40 presets, again without any issues.

Last night, while tracking synths, the unit froze up and gave the following error message;

"Uh Oh... TMS320 Loading Error"


I shut the unit down and rebooted several times. Sometimes it started up and froze with the same error message. Other times it booted up all the way - and I could load presets, but at every load there were constant random loud noises, rendering all presets useless.

I also tried the OS reset procedure several times without success. So, my new (used) D/SE is now (apparently) a boat anchor that I will have to disconnect and remove out of the rack that I finally got it setup into, and then figure out how to fix it.

Can any of the esteemed and experienced H3K users out there lend a helping hand with this? Any suggestions are most welcome!

While I'm asking, are there any current transformer swaps that would quite this unit down and make it easier to sit next to when playing? The transformer hum can be heard quite well throughout the entire room. I haven't been micing up amps for my synths yet, so it hasn't been a huge issue, but it will be when I do start micing up my amps.

This unit has quickly become indispensable in my synth FX rack, so I'm very much hoping to get it up and running quickly.

Old 1st December 2017
  #1764
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
I've recently setup and began using a new (used) H3000 D/SE (1 of 2 posted above in this thread). Everything was working perfectly, except for a slightly loud hum from the transformer, which is a pretty common thing for these older units. I've probably created some 40 presets, again without any issues.

Last night, while tracking synths, the unit froze up and gave the following error message;

"Uh Oh... TMS320 Loading Error"


I shut the unit down and rebooted several times. Sometimes it started up and froze with the same error message. Other times it booted up all the way - and I could load presets, but at every load there were constant random loud noises, rendering all presets useless.

I also tried the OS reset procedure several times without success. So, my new (used) D/SE is now (apparently) a boat anchor that I will have to disconnect and remove out of the rack that I finally got it setup into, and then figure out how to fix it.

Can any of the esteemed and experienced H3K users out there lend a helping hand with this? Any suggestions are most welcome!

While I'm asking, are there any current transformer swaps that would quite this unit down and make it easier to sit next to when playing? The transformer hum can be heard quite well throughout the entire room. I haven't been micing up amps for my synths yet, so it hasn't been a huge issue, but it will be when I do start micing up my amps.

This unit has quickly become indispensable in my synth FX rack, so I'm very much hoping to get it up and running quickly.


That might be a serious one!
Looks like the unit can't use/find/start one of the 3 processors, Texas Instruments, TMS32010.
It's the first time I read about this error, so it must be a rare one... which isn't good. Probably time to have the unit serviced by somebody who really knows it.
Old 1st December 2017
  #1765
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
That might be a serious one!
Looks like the unit can't use/find/start one of the 3 processors, Texas Instruments, TMS32010.
It's the first time I read about this error, so it must be a rare one... which isn't good. Probably time to have the unit serviced by somebody who really knows it.
Thanks Italo... that's what I was afraid of, argh.

Researching this error, not much came up, but I read the PELs section in the H3000 Service Manual and immediately formed a lump in my throat, as it ties into global buss addressing;

"The addressing of the global bus is tied very closely to the I/O port structures of the TMS32010. Like the TMS320, the glow all bus has 8 read ports, each mapped to the various peripheral devices on the bus."

...

"The bus design makes this processor synchronization a crucial issue. Synchronization in this architecture takes place on several levels. The first and lowest level of synchronized across is PEL sync, the synchronization of the internal states of the TMS32010 processors."


It looks like this eBay seller pulled a fast on on me. They likely had this error pop up and then immediately sold it, knowing the error would inevitably repeat and eventually - at some time in the near future - render the unit useless.

It's a mint unit too... looks almost NOS.

It sounds like it may be an "audio crash" issue - which impacts PEL sync. I was really hoping an OS reset would do the trick, but no dice.


Does anyone know a good Eventide tech in Los Angeles?


Old 1st December 2017
  #1766
Lives for gear
 
SP2016's Avatar
Remove the EPROM's, clean them and check the IC sockets, check the EPROM jumpers for bad soldering or cold joints.
Hum:Replace the top cover plate with a plexiglass one. Easier (and cheaper) to do than replacing a transformer and if the unit is next to you it looks very intriging for other people in your studio.
Use the original cover plate as a template for making the plexiglass replacement.
Old 2nd December 2017
  #1767
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post


Does anyone know a good Eventide tech in Los Angeles?


If you still have problems after re-seating, (try the eproms and the large molex connector), there is a good tech in Burbank.

This is the place that Eventide recommends.

PRO AUDIO REPAIR - Studio Electronics
Old 2nd December 2017
  #1768
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
Remove the EPROM's, clean them and check the IC sockets, check the EPROM jumpers for bad soldering or cold joints.
Hum:Replace the top cover plate with a plexiglass one. Easier (and cheaper) to do than replacing a transformer and if the unit is next to you it looks very intriging for other people in your studio.
Use the original cover plate as a template for making the plexiglass replacement.
Will do, thanks for these steps SP2016!

It's in a rack, so the cover isn't visible, but if that retrofit works it'll be awesome, thank you again!

I also have a DP/4+ that is about 4 x louder (tranny buzz/hum) than this D/SE... I'm wondering if the plexi top retrofit will work for that too. It sounds like there's more to it in the DP's case though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
If you still have problems after re-seating, (try the eproms and the large molex connector), there is a good tech in Burbank.

This is the place that Eventide recommends.

PRO AUDIO REPAIR - Studio Electronics

Wonderful, and it's just 15 minutes away from me according to GMaps... thanks very much TBS!



Knowledgeable GS folks to the rescue again. I love this place!


Old 2nd December 2017
  #1769
Lives for gear
 
SP2016's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
It's in a rack, so the cover isn't visible, but if that retrofit works it'll be awesome, thank you again!
The "humming" is caused by the metal top cover plate being induced magnetically by the power transformer right under the cover plate.
Replacing the top cover plate by a non magnetic material cures that.
Plexiglass is quite cheap and easy to tool, even by an amateur.
That retrofit works and is much cheaper than replacing a power transformer.
Personally I have done a lot of these retrofits.
Do not forget to drill holes for ventilation at the same position of the original plate.
Old 2nd December 2017
  #1770
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
I also have a DP/4+ that is about 4 x louder (tranny buzz/hum) than this D/SE... I'm wondering if the plexi top retrofit will work for that too. It sounds like there's more to it in the DP's case though.
I have a DP/4+ that is completely silent and a H3000D/SE that is quite noisy.

These plexiglass things sound like complete nonsense. When the transformer is noisy it needs to be replaced. Glue, stickers and bubblegum don't help at all. If there is a replacement transformer with all the rails I'm going to replace it but not going to install any plexi crap. Does it even pass the fire safety regulations?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump