The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000
Old 6th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naive Teen Idol View Post
Right! Not that I'm complaining. The SE has a lot more algorithms and presets than I was preparing myself for after I watched D/SE prices go through the roof the last several years. The seller—who literally lives a quarter mile from me just outside of Boston—initially thought this has all the D/SE presets and upgrades. And because it didn't, he sold it to me for $500 less!

Now I'm trying to figure out what the next step is to do this upgrade. I haven't opened it up yet but I don't have the chops to do the jumper stuff myself. And while I *really* want all the other presets and the Modfactory stuff, I am a bit leery of bricking something I've fallen in love so quickly with and which already has so much functionality.

Do sample boards ever pop up on eBay? If so, are they worth it?
It's easy to mod it for full kitchen sink preset hoggin'
You just kill a one or two traces, and then solder at two points and then swap the chips. This was my VERY FIRST "electronics project" with a soldering iron. Piece of cake.

Old 6th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m127f View Post
It's easy to mod it for full kitchen sink preset hoggin'
You just kill a one or two traces, and then solder at two points and then swap the chips. This was my VERY FIRST "electronics project" with a soldering iron. Piece of cake.
It may be possible that you do not need any soldering at all !
Look at the attachment: That is the jumper setting you need.
The jumpers may be in that setting already.
If they are not, you follow the instructions on the second attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000-h3000-jumpers.jpg   I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000-h3000-jumpers-2.jpg  
Old 10th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Full preset range is hard to define. See here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...US&output=html

Full preset thing would be 3500DFX-B. But then to run all the DFX programs on the ordinary 3000 you would need the sampling board which requires a lot of hardware modification - it's no just the eproms. So either go: D/SE or late DFX (ideally DFX-B).

Just put 3500 to auto search - it will pop up - like it did to me. Most of the ppl think the Kitchen Sink is the ultimate model - so let them have it paying ridiculous money for it, while you grab the DFX. Just make sure it's not the early DFX(!!) - check the table above and ask the seller does he have presets "these and these" - otherwise you can end missing the D/SE presets on the 3500.
Hello Don, is there a way you could make a PDF of this WONDERFUL spreadsheet? I would love to get it printed out. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! Scott
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlebox View Post
Hello Don, is there a way you could make a PDF of this WONDERFUL spreadsheet? I would love to get it printed out. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! Scott
Yes Don's list is excellent, and here's another good one.
Lists every preset, the algorithm used, and a brief description of the effect.

Eventide H3000 Preset List
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Try this too...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf H3000 Presets History.PDF (180.5 KB, 473 views)
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

And this may come in handy:
(Original Eventide and better readable)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf H3000pres.pdf (238.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 11th May 2017
Gear Addict

I just made the leap and got myself an H3000. I also bought the upgrade kit and was going to do it myself. When I got the unit, the left channel was OUT! So we ended up having to send it to a repair facility; and the repair cost over $600! I bought the unit for $950. So the seller didn't make much on this. The unit came back with everything redone and gone through, cosmetically and internally! It is like a BRAND new H3000 with ALL presets to the H3500! I think I scored here folks, and I couldn't be happier! I attached the invoice if anyone's curious as to what they did. I am in HEAVEN.

PS, would it be safe to say this unit was made in 1988?

And THANK YOU for those wonderful documents!!! I am actually going to study those and I can't wait to try them out. This community Rocks!

Attached Thumbnails
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000-eventide-repair.jpg  
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlebox View Post
I just made the leap and got myself an H3000.
Excellent!
Yes that's an early model, so somewhere between '86-88 I think.
I see it was repaired and serviced by Studio Electronics, who are the H3000 experts. Would be hard to find one in better condition!
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Head
So about a month in, I must say that this thing has been an absolute joy to have. I had been obsessing about an H3K for about six years -- Eno, Fripp, the Orb. Even just the process of discerning which sounds off my favorite records are H3000 presets has been fabulous.

A few sound samples:

"Cyber Ping Pong" is my Wavedrum going through a Multi-Shift patch, with me using an expression pedal to sweep the pitch.

"Sweep Up/Down Filter" is a simple loop at the outset ... 8 bars in, I mix in the H3K which is set to the Band Delays algorithm. This is less a piece than an opportunity to hear how great the filters are on this thing, which are being swept w the Function Generator and a little manual futzing around.

"Budd Three Soft Echoes" are guitar and piano samples playing a typically Robin Guthrie/Harold Budd-sounding riff going through multiple passes of the H3K -- the Soft Short Echoes patch and Rich Chorus, with the shimmer effect a combination of Crystal Echoes and Canyon. I solo it at the end.

"Minor Loop" is a simple guitar loop going through a custom Multi-Shift patch I made -- similar to Crystal Echoes, but taking advantage of the algorithm's wide pitch range and complex feedback routing. Pitches are +1200 and -1188. Function Generator is controlling the panning of the echoes here.

"Skip" is my Jupiter 6 going through 512 Flanger (a Fripp favorite, as I've discovered) and my Minimoog clone going through the Multi-Dly Effect preset, which as the manual notes "has a lot going on." I love these sounds here.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

A few sound samples:
Fantastic job, it's always nice to hear what people do with their H3000.
Really nice variety of effects which demonstrates it's personality.
Favourites were "Minor loop" and "Budd three soft echoes", which had a great shimmer going on.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

More H3000 audioclips... seems a good time for them.
Mostly reverbs, made from different algorithms...

Enjoy!

BLACK HOLE 3 (Swept Reverb)
Great classic Eventide effect! Created on the DSP4000 and available in all later units, here's a flashback to the mother of them all, the H3000. Finally available on this classic Ultra Harmonizer ®, an immense, deep, 3D modulated reverb you can play notes thru and get beauty out. So…Eventide.
http://www.italodeangelis.com/public...lack_Hole3.mp3

ENO CLOUDS (Swept Reverb)
Ambient reverb. Thousands of short delays bounce and get nicely detuned in the distance. Deep and inspiring texture with the classic H3000 tone.
http://www.italodeangelis.com/public...Eno_Clouds.mp3

EQUINOX VERB (Mod Factory 2)
Beautiful detuned & modulated reverb, created by cross-feedback connected delays and detuners. Verb envelope is different from traditional verbs, rising slower than it normally would and decading far and wide. Wants you to play moody.
http://www.italodeangelis.com/public...uinox_Verb.mp3

HARMONICS HALL (String Modeller)
Well…this is only available on the H3000! This large reverb has resonating harmonics in it. You won't consistently notice them, unless non tuned input transients (like muted strings attacks) are fed to the unit. Inspiring tonal place.
http://www.italodeangelis.com/public...onics_Hall.mp3

ITALO's SPACE (Multi-Shift)
Majestic yet soft reverb made with pitch shifters and delays. Cross-feedback delay paths and long spliced reverse shifters multiply ad infinitum. Such is my favorite Eventide space.
http://www.italodeangelis.com/public...lo-s_Space.mp3

MPITCH>SHUFFLE (Mod Factory 2)
Micropitchshifter > shuffle delays. Stereo detuning from the H3000 world famous Micropitchshifter preset is in series and parallel to a stereo delay, set on shuffle time repeats.
Delays are ducked. Use <thresh> and <ratio> (under <ENVELOPE>) to fine tune delays ducking to your system levels. <bpm> controls Tap Tempo. CC#64 controls Tap Tempo too.
http://www.italodeangelis.com/public...ch_Shuffle.mp3

REVERSE CLOUDS (Reverse Shift)
Reverse detuned delays bounce and fade away in clouds of sounds. Nice ambient chordal textures are possible with this one. Beauty for guitars and keyboards.
http://www.italodeangelis.com/public...rse_Clouds.mp3

SO LONG, MATE… (Swept Reverb)
Well… it has been a nice voyage thru the sonic wonders of the H3000, my friend.
Here we are at its end. For you I have another reverb with animated modulation and that "canyon-like" slopes and depth. Changing <mdelay> to alter space size will require adjusting <mrate> and <mdepth> for less warbling in the fading tail.
http://www.italodeangelis.com/public..._Long_Mate.mp3
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Fantastic job, it's always nice to hear what people do with their H3000.
Really nice variety of effects which demonstrates it's personality.
Favourites were "Minor loop" and "Budd three soft echoes", which had a great shimmer going on.
Thanks, TBS. It was based on a patch I made emulating the bgd guitar on a track Eno made for the Lovely Bones soundtrack. It's amazing to me that "Minor Loop" didn't require any additional reverb to get that smear. The +/- 12c in all that shifting (and to an extent the panning) really did it all.

Uploading a few more. First ("Ending") is in a similar vein -- three strummed major chords cycling on the guitar going into Crystal Echoes and then into a Primal Tap plugin that degrades the sample rate of the signal. I then fed it into a Blackhole plugin reverb.

Second one again uses the Multi-Shift. I was listening to 90s/00s-era Eno—Another Day on Earth, his Curiosities comps—and noticed how he clearly uses the H3K to dirty up the drums. So this is a mashup of a few different beats – a glitchy track done on some ITB 808 samples in Ableton.

IMO, this really shows what the difference is w the H3K versus software. Where the latter can produce these sounds in a vacuum, there is something about the stereo imaging and depth in the H3K that is unique -- or at a minimum, hard to come by in software.
Attached Files

Last edited by Naive Teen Idol; 21st May 2017 at 12:21 AM..
Old 22nd May 2017
Gear Head
At the risk of oversharing, here is another one I just did. This is pretty simple, but I thought the mix really brought out the depth of the H3000 pitch shifting. It's an 808 kick sample and a Roland Jupiter 6 arpeggio being fed into a Reverse Shift patch I made, with some Blackhole plugin reverb to smear things a bit.

The neat bit here is was the quasi-formant-y bit coming out in the pitch shifts of the Jupiter (a fourth and two octaves down respectively) as I tweaked the filter frequency and resonance on the Roland. I also pulled up an Italo trick I found online about how to match delays to the MIDI BPM that I re-appropriated to set the length of the splices.

At any rate, this is dead simple but pretty different than the others.
Attached Files
Old 22nd May 2017
Gear Head
Also, I tried to get the SoundQuest demo to work on my SE today to no avail. I was able to get it to receive Map and Edit dumps but not the Preset dump for some reason.

This got me thinking ...

Is it possible to hard wire certain MIDI messages to the H3000 soft keys? Which is to say, rather than having to either A) press the soft key manually and use the data wheel or B) manually assign MIDI controllers in the parameters section per patch, is it possible to have those four parameters for every preset hard mapped to a specific MIDI control? Asking as I have a lonely MIDI controller that would do a nice job of this, me thinks -- and there's an obvious benefit to remotely controlling the 1-4 soft key parameters the patch programmers have determined are worthy of tweaking.

Having dinked around with this a bit, my guess is that the answer is "no" -- as it seems that the box can only handle one soft key being managed at a time (and that any control of the box externally requires the soft key be selected before data can be changed). But given the expertise on this thread, I wanted to confirm.
Old 22nd May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Excellent!
Yes that's an early model, so somewhere between '86-88 I think.
I see it was repaired and serviced by Studio Electronics, who are the H3000 experts. Would be hard to find one in better condition!
That is great to know!! Thank you!
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Head
Ok, I am getting ready to upgrade my SE and need to buy the kit on eBay. Which seller do folks recommend I buy it from?

There's two different ones from scientific-community who I've heard of -- I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000here and I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000here (the latter says it's only the OS upgrade and is only three EPROMs). $99 and $79 respectively.

There's this one from I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000NewOldSound $99

There's I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000tconcord $99

And there's I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000themoonandthemelodies in the UK. $71
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

I use the moon and melodies ones..perfect..no sluggishness and on the right size EPROMs.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, I am getting ready to upgrade my SE and need to buy the kit on eBay. Which seller do folks recommend I buy it from?

There's two different ones from scientific-community who I've heard of -- I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000here and I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000here (the latter says it's only the OS upgrade and is only three EPROMs). $99 and $79 respectively.

And there's I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000themoonandthemelodies in the UK. $71
I'd have to look, but I think I got mine from scientific-community. No sluggishness.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I got mine from tconcord. Just double checked the link and the price is actually $79.50 (obo) not 99, must have been lowered recently. I got it really quickly and the instructions were very clear, works like a champ!

Last edited by morebutter; 21st June 2017 at 05:34 PM..
Old 2nd July 2017
Here for the gear

Hi Guys.
My H3000 is having random Spikes/clicks/pops in multi shifter 231 preset.
Any ideas?
I bought a Mosel, a battery pack and new chips to install and see what happens. I also pushed down on chips and air cleaned. No problems on echo
Preset/reverb.
I read in service manual there
Is a SERVICE TEST EMPRON CHIP to self test.
Any idea where I can get these?
Thank you kindly
Old 2nd July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Second one again uses the Multi-Shift. I was listening to 90s/00s-era Eno—Another Day on Earth, his Curiosities comps—and noticed how he clearly uses the H3K to dirty up the drums. So this is a mashup of a few different beats – a glitchy track done on some ITB 808 samples in Ableton.

IMO, this really shows what the difference is w the H3K versus software. Where the latter can produce these sounds in a vacuum, there is something about the stereo imaging and depth in the H3K that is unique -- or at a minimum, hard to come by in software.
Wow! Didn't expect anything like this coming thru h3000. Should try it when I'm home. Thx!
Old 13th July 2017
Here for the gear

BUMP!
Well I changed All EMPRONS...
Battery pack, Mosel, and the program EMPRONS.
Reset everything and still clicks and pops...
Can't afford to send it to a tech right now.
Any suggestion from Eventide H3000 lovers would be
Greatly appreciated.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorithGroup View Post
BUMP!
Well I changed All EMPRONS...
Battery pack, Mosel, and the program EMPRONS.
Reset everything and still clicks and pops...
Can't afford to send it to a tech right now.
Any suggestion from Eventide H3000 lovers would be
Greatly appreciated.
Did you try reseating the molex connector? (The big plug)
This is often a cause of problems.

Unfortunately it is almost impossible to diagnose the cause of clicks and pops online, it could be caused by lots of things.
When my unit made clicks and pops (and distortion) only the Eventide tech could diagnose it, my local tech couldn't even work it out.
Old 13th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Did you try reseating the molex connector? (The big plug)
This is often a cause of problems.

Unfortunately it is almost impossible to diagnose the cause of clicks and pops online, it could be caused by lots of things.
When my unit made clicks and pops (and distortion) only the Eventide tech could diagnose it, my local tech couldn't even work it out.

Thank you for your reply.
I tried clean it, and resetting it several times.
They say soldering it to the board but that might be drastic, Don't you think ?
I read the service Manuel but it hard for me to understand it.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorithGroup View Post
Thank you for your reply.
I tried clean it, and resetting it several times.
They say soldering it to the board but that might be drastic, Don't you think ?
I read the service Manuel but it hard for me to understand it.
I believe that excess heat can damage the molex connector, so soldering it directly is a good long term solution.
Though if it is in reasonable shape, and making good contact, it probably isn't causing the problems. (Unfortunately)
Old 14th July 2017
Here for the gear

New question, different direction...

Can the H3000 mod factory LFO phase be modified to get one LFO 90 degrees out of phase compared to the other (quadrature LFO)?

Thanks,

J
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay73 View Post
New question, different direction...

Can the H3000 mod factory LFO phase be modified to get one LFO 90 degrees out of phase compared to the other (quadrature LFO)?

Thanks,

J
It's very easy to have a second LFO 90° out of phase with the first one. Two options here:

1. Insert a second LFO module, send its output to a c_multiply module and multiply it by -1. In this scenario the two LFOs have no relation to one another, just the output of the second one is phase shifted by 90°.

or

2. Use only a single LFO and send its output to a.) the destination you want and b.) to the c_multiply module (again multiply by -1). In this scenario the two outputs are always phase shifted by 90°.
Old 14th July 2017
Here for the gear

I don't know this "c_multiply module" you speak of. I'm using the hardware version of H3000, upgraded to H3500.

Maybe you are referring to one of the newer 2RU tides. My question is can 90 degree phase offset be done on hardware H3000 mod factory?

Thanks,

J
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay73 View Post
I'm using the hardware version of H3000, upgraded to H3500.
The H3500 is just a H3000 with a sampler board....
For the rest no differences.
Old 15th July 2017
Here for the gear

I did the upgrade with new EPROM chips - no sampler board.

So... How about that LFO phase offset. I worked out how to do a 180 degree offset using modscale. Can 90 degrees be achieved?

JK

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search