The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000
Old 28th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
If you come accross a 3500, I'd jump on it.
I'm still puzzled why this isn't the most sought after model.
It's a late version like a a D/SE or D/SX, and has the board which turns it into a sampler too (albeit fairly basic). It also has extra ram which allows much longer delay times.
It sounds exactly the same as any H3000, but is fully featured!

Very true Brightsice, though IIRC....(I'm not entirely sure though...from memory) The extra Sampler memory on the H3500 units only works with certain Algos, those being TimeSqweeze, Sampling and a few others...thus like a PCM 80 where again, not all Algos benefit from the 42 second delay, though quite a few do and Dual Fx card Algos and others give added delay time in a much kinder fashion!

I saw a PCM-42 on evil bay and at close to 2 Kilicash buckaroos ....I certainly would NOT be impressed walking into a Studio and seeing 1 PCM-42 and no H3K or better delay, this Albini/ Nirvana myth has gone out if control...all stated on this forum, quite amazing to see the progression a opto limiter has had, more so and most likely at 12 kHz?...lol...!

Regards
TLB
Old 29th August 2015
Gear Head

I also joined the cult today... It's a D/SX so it'll probably be the ugliest piece of gear I own, but then I didn't buy it for it's looks, and I may just come to love her anyhow.
Old 29th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Very true Brightsice, though IIRC....(I'm not entirely sure though...from memory) The extra Sampler memory on the H3500 units only works with certain Algos, those being TimeSqweeze, Sampling and a few others...thus like a PCM 80 where again, not all Algos benefit from the 42 second delay, though quite a few do and Dual Fx card Algos and others give added delay time in a much kinder fashion!

I saw a PCM-42 on evil bay and at close to 2 Kilicash buckaroos ....I certainly would NOT be impressed walking into a Studio and seeing 1 PCM-42 and no H3K or better delay, this Albini/ Nirvana myth has gone out if control...all stated on this forum, quite amazing to see the progression a opto limiter has had, more so and most likely at 12 kHz?...lol...!

Regards
TLB
Damn, sorry to hear about problems with your D/SX, it's a pain I know well!
Never heard of problems with the new eproms, do you still have the original ones to try? If not, I think I still have my old originals somewhere I could dig out.

And yes the extra ram also works with Mod Factory. I double checked on mine, 32 seconds in stereo. Not that I could find a practical use for it, that's a f***ing long delay.

Didn't see the PCM42, but I'm eyeing the Ursa Major Space Station on ebay, that looks pretty sweet! Though I think it might be a Major headache if it needs some work.
Old 29th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Damn, sorry to hear about problems with your D/SX, it's a pain I know well!
Never heard of problems with the new eproms, do you still have the original ones to try? If not, I think I still have my old originals somewhere I could dig out.

And yes the extra ram also works with Mod Factory. I double checked on mine, 32 seconds in stereo. Not that I could find a practical use for it, that's a f***ing long delay.

Didn't see the PCM42, but I'm eyeing the Ursa Major Space Station on ebay, that looks pretty sweet! Though I think it might be a Major headache if it needs some work.
Hi M,
I wouldn't go for that Ursa, that's asking for trouble, better things you could buy,
I thought the sampler did mod factory in the 3500? Wasn't sure though, my MEO bank can't retain every single bit of Audio data ( Oh how I wish it could!). Pretty sure my 3000 has taken a huge power hit, possibly 48 volts directly due to dual switching, something I'm going to remedy.

M, I have a few sets of Eprom's though should I need more, could I use yours and pay you or replace them? Do let me know, shoot me an email! Still got my details I'm sure, hopefully Italo will chime in soon!

I was really surprised at people thinking H3000's are running short, I'd say there would be around 35,000 H3000's of various types, man after that 15 year run, I'd say even more, guess there's just not many around at the moment and naturally....If you are going to get an H3000 make sure it's a
H3500 DFX
H3000 D/SE
H3000 D/SX

Any H3000/3500 save black faces...the curse is on those! Always seems trouble with S or SE or Black Face B models in the H3000. Shot me an email huh?
Cheers
J.
Old 5th September 2015
After recently getting the bug for an Eventide again (used to own a DSP4000) I finally found a nice looking D/SX with D/SE upgrade today and bought as soon as I saw it.

One question though... This unit has been recapped, HQ Nichicon Golds on the power supply and audio film caps in the audio path.

They said this is an upgrade in sound making the unit better than when new, smoother, as the tantalums were 'grainy'. Now, considering the grainy sound is part of the appeal of these units does anyone know how much of a difference these film caps would make?

Just hope it's not too clean sounding although overall I'm happy that it should last a good while with them being replaced.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens View Post
They said this is an upgrade in sound making the unit better than when new, smoother, as the tantalums were 'grainy'. Now, considering the grainy sound is part of the appeal of these units does anyone know how much of a difference these film caps would make?

Just hope it's not too clean sounding although overall I'm happy that it should last a good while with them being replaced.
I'm sure the capacitors don't change the sound too much The old paper capacitors from the 50's might have something to do with the 'old' sound but I doubt recapping tantalum capacitors would have any effect.

Please correct if I'm wrong.
Old 5th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
I'm sure the capacitors don't change the sound too much The old paper capacitors from the 50's might have something to do with the 'old' sound but I doubt recapping tantalum capacitors would have any effect.

Please correct if I'm wrong.
Hi does this contain paper caps as well? Have got the service manual but haven't had time to fully check it out yet.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi does this contain paper caps as well? Have got the service manual but haven't had time to fully check it out yet.
Nope. There's no paper capacitors in the unit. I might have replaced the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply - might have to do that in my unit in some point - but I'd be interested to know why they replaced the capacitors in the audio path.

Last edited by coffee; 5th September 2015 at 02:39 PM..
Old 5th September 2015
Quote:
Nope. There's no paper capacitors in the unit. I might have replaced the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply - might have to do that in my unit in some point - but I'd be interested to know why they replaced the capacitors in the audio path.
Ah ok.

Well seems like they thought it would improve the sound, this is the quote from the auction:

"Overall Tip Top condition - Professionally serviced*

*The device never had a fault. Nonetheless, to keep it that way for the future it got a power supply recap with fresh HQ Nichicon Gold capacitors and audio film caps in the audio path in exchange for the a bit grainy'ish sounding tantalums -The H3000 sounds now even better/smoother as when new"

Looks like this auction is through a reseller though so not from the actual owner so I haven't bothered to ask.

I missed the part about the audio path caps before I clicked buy, but it probably wouldn't have swayed me either way.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear
I think it's just your advantage that the unit was serviced. I don't think it has any impact to the sound. However I would check the unit thoroughly and see if it responds as it should be. Pitch shifting etc.
Old 5th September 2015
Quote:
I think it's just your advantage that the unit was serviced. I don't think it has any impact to the sound. However I would check the unit thoroughly and see if it responds as it should be. Pitch shifting etc.
Thanks, think the same, too bad I don't have a point of reference for what it should sound like.

Ok will do, you mean ability to track pitch or just how the pitch sounds in general?

I've got the plugin so can do a rudimentary comparison to that. I've listened to a/b's to the hardware and the plugin and the hardware sounded quite a bit more open and sweet.

So I'd imagine mine should perform similarly.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks, think the same, too bad I don't have a point of reference for what it should sound like.

Ok will do, you mean ability to track pitch or just how the pitch sounds in general?
I'd just like to hear opinion about H3000's pitch tracking capability. It sounds ok in general.
Old 5th September 2015
Quote:
I'd just like to hear opinion about H3000's pitch tracking capability. It sounds ok in general.
Sure I'll see how it responds there then. If anything this gives me a good excuse to buy another with 'vintage' caps
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

In my opinion, the H3000 Tracks some Audio Gear and Sounds better then other brands or TC Helicon stuff even an H8000FW as it retains a very certain sound in it's process; with that in mind I might clarify by saying a Solo Voice while not ideal can work though a Sax or Guitar or Percussion to Bagpipes can create utter magic.

This is certainly not to say the 7500/7600/8000 models can't do this, though their is a certain "Sound" (Not Paper in Film Caps) though the H3000's parts as a whole coming together to make pitch Shifting a much more "organic experience". I know those Experienced in using an H3000 will understand my point as from the DSP4000 upwards the shifting gets slightly "Softer" if you might understand it to be!

Cheers
TheLastByte
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
In my opinion, the H3000 Tracks some Audio Gear and Sounds better then other brands or TC Helicon stuff even an H8000FW as it retains a very certain sound in it's process; with that in mind I might clarify by saying a Solo Voice while not ideal can work though a Sax or Guitar or Percussion to Bagpipes can create utter magic.

This is certainly not to say the 7500/7600/8000 models can't do this, though their is a certain "Sound" (Not Paper in Film Caps) though the H3000's parts as a whole coming together to make pitch Shifting a much more "organic experience". I know those Experienced in using an H3000 will understand my point as from the DSP4000 upwards the shifting gets slightly "Softer" if you might understand it to be!

Cheers
TheLastByte

I dont think you can dismiss the H8000FW outright like that .
Personally I think it can run circles around a H3000 & I own both.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Hi there.

Ive searched quite extensively, but not succeded;

Did anyone manage to find an equivalent power transformer for the H3000 (DSE)? The rattel/hum is driving me mad, and im getting a few bits serviced soon, so would like to get this dealt with at the same time.

If anyone has succesfully used any particular model etc, please advise.

My mixer died about a week after that, so have hardly used this machine, really need to get it sorted, the short time i had with it was heavenly. First proper high end gear, and it really spanks the £100-200 cheap yamaha/korg/zoom (even lexicon) boxes. Much better than the Kurzweil Rumour i had too.

Cheers
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I dont think you can dismiss the H8000FW outright like that .
Personally I think it can run circles around a H3000 & I own both.
I'm sorry, though where exactly did I say or dismiss the 4000 to 8000 series of Harmonizers as being worse as you seem to be alluding to, as having used all, and from DAW type plug In's from Melodyne and Antares type shifting to Hardware I was simply stating the organic quality an H3000 has over say a 4000 to 8000 unit? If you own both, then you should be well able to testify to my statement that as an early third Generation 1988 device the H3000 still shifts remarkably well. Again I was simply stating the H3000 in certain pitch shifting scenarios are known and expected Studio Staples. With "That H3000 Sound" well known and sought after!

I think you might need to re-read my post before getting to The Atypical "Gear-Defend-en-itus" GS type reaction! You might also like to remember this is the "Cult of the Eventide H3000" Thread! (Certainly not that other Eventide units are exclusively banned - far from it!). Nexus, it was just a simple point of view I've formed over the H3000's shifting ability after listening to many pitch shifting devices over the last few weeks, simple as that! That being, for such an old device the H3000's Pitch Shifting still holds up incredibly well in 2015 certainly with no view to disgracing the H8000's ability!

Regards
TheLastByte!
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Addict

Out of interest, how does the H9 compare for pitch duties? I've been debating getting either the H3000 or a couple of H9s which have the benefit of a software editor.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm X View Post
Hi there.

Ive searched quite extensively, but not succeded;

Did anyone manage to find an equivalent power transformer for the H3000 (DSE)? The rattel/hum is driving me mad, and im getting a few bits serviced soon, so would like to get this dealt with at the same time.

If anyone has succesfully used any particular model etc, please advise.

My mixer died about a week after that, so have hardly used this machine, really need to get it sorted, the short time i had with it was heavenly. First proper high end gear, and it really spanks the £100-200 cheap yamaha/korg/zoom (even lexicon) boxes. Much better than the Kurzweil Rumour i had too.

Cheers
I think as you are from the UK, that Bendon Tech Services should be able to change the Factory PSU that came in your stock hardware H3000 for a solid 240/230 international Volts version PSU (I'd advise a 115/230 model for resale) just for a few hundred Quid, thus the noise and vibrations will disappear and possibly the heat as well. No harm in checking them out!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Regards
TLB
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sorry, though where exactly did I say or dismiss the 4000 to 8000 series of Harmonizers as being worse as you seem to be alluding to, as having used all, and from DAW type plug In's from Melodyne and Antares type shifting to Hardware I was simply stating the organic quality an H3000 has over say a 4000 to 8000 unit? If you own both, then you should be well able to testify to my statement that as an early third Generation 1988 device the H3000 still shifts remarkably well. Again I was simply stating the H3000 in certain pitch shifting scenarios are known and expected Studio Staples. With "That H3000 Sound" well known and sought after!

I think you might need to re-read my post before getting to The Atypical "Gear-Defend-en-itus" GS type reaction! You might also like to remember this is the "Cult of the Eventide H3000" Thread! (Certainly not that other Eventide units are exclusively banned - far from it!). Nexus, it was just a simple point of view I've formed over the H3000's shifting ability after listening to many pitch shifting devices over the last few weeks, simple as that! That being, for such an old device the H3000's Pitch Shifting still holds up incredibly well in 2015 certainly with no view to disgracing the H8000's ability!

Regards
TheLastByte!

No please don't take what I wrote personally it was not intended to be..
I just think the cult can get over enthusiastic about the H3000 owners pride & all that..
I try to be careful not to overhype something just because I own it.

It's a great box no doubt but for myself at least it's not the be all to end all
that some in this thread make it out to be.

IMO it can sound a little dated & murky I guess that can be euphemised as retro or vintage if you like.

Edit: Not trying to rain on anyone's parade just stating my opinion/experience .
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
No please don't take what I wrote personally it was not intended to be..
I just think the cult can get over enthusiastic about the H3000 owners pride & all that.. I try to be careful not to overhype something just because I own it.
It's a great box no doubt but for myself at least it's not the be all to end all
that some in this thread make it out to be. IMO it can sound a little dated & murky I guess that can be euphemised as retro or vintage if you like.
Edit: Not trying to rain on anyone's parade just stating my opinion/experience .
Nexus, thank you for the reply, I think I understand what you're saying, almost akin to Bus Compression madness, though as I stated for a 1988 unit, the H3000 was really the only game in town should correction of Vocals, BV's and certain other instruments need to be Shifted, (that or Session Musos brought in) more so Diatonically shifting, even back then names such as Korg and Roland concentrated on quasi Near Harmoniser chorusing devices, ( great as they are ) they were not units that kept pitch and key intact.

Even I understand all these years later from my DSP 4K forays that an H8000 can SH#T over certain units, though back in the day only AMS and Eventide were available to Studios to correct certain faux's then add to that 3-4 sets of hands on a 32 to 48 (96 channel) Fader console, and man was Automation a group effort.

My point? Don't discount the elderly Lady yet, as her routing, function Gen, and especially Mod Factory 1 & 2 are almost an Fx unit in a Synthesizer, which is or was unheard of with no other units offering this type of control. While an H8000 could take a decade to master the H3000 is now every mans tool where once it was indeed for the very elitist! Costing more then a 7600 or 8000 does in today's money!

Having said that, I'd love to see some trading of H3000 plus other Eventide units patches (apart of Course from Italos collection) and here is where community and function can co-exist to create some seriously still intriguing sounds in 2015.
With my 1 monster H3000 being repaired by a super tech, I hope to be back on the Eventide H3K deck soon, still, once up and running I'd love to see this community make and create sounds instead of grinding over and about hardware trouble that we all know will plague these units.

Nexus I'm pretty sure in asking anyone, the H3K sound certainly requires a programming mentality, as VSIG doesn't exist in H3000 land and Mr. Zvonars H3K midi utility unfortunately never saw real light of day....maybe we should all grab a copy of midi quest? As that seems to be possibly the most finalised software version midi wise for the H3K! The rest I shall leave to the cult to mull over. Though Kudos for your reply, it was appreciated!

Kind Regards as always,
TheLastByte

P.S
As everyone seems to be selling certain eprom sets for a DFX version, does the cult have a favoured Vendor now Eventide no longer make Eprom's etc. as obviously one vendor must be better then others? Please PM me with your preferred H3000 DFX upgrade ebayers. As need must, I need a new set of DFX proms preferably not from Ichip3000 And while I'm posting thanks to all whom have gone through the breakdown of my Eventides this year, from Italo to the Brightside, both good men with strong hearts! Wanting little or indeed nothing at all for great support! Thank you again, may the universe reward for Karmic points banked! I certainly will remember!

Cheers
TLB
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Nut

I would really like to fix my h3000, but I don't want to part with it to send to Eventide. I used it a lot and don't want to work without it.

I just have some noise (like bitcrushing or crunching sound) on the effects that use a filter like 'band delay.' I can't hear it on any other algorithms. Is there something special about the filter algorithms? Do they use a certain PEL that other algorithms don't? I just don't understand why the noise would only be present when the filter is used.
Old 12th September 2015
So I received my H3000 finally yesterday after a little delay due to UPS. Have only had a short time to experiment with it but so far am completely happy and it easily stands as one of my best purchases ever.

The plugin is cool but it never got the emotion that I'm hearing from the hardware. While the plugin always felt a little lacking the hardware is the opposite, I'm often thinking how it can sound so good, it's almost surreal at times.

No idea how much effect the new caps had on the sound but it's as warm and rich as I could want. If the film caps cleaned up the sound at all it couldn't have been for the worse. Overall the unit was in great condition. Buttons all super smooth and the wheel seems solid too. Only small issue is the LCD has some discolouration on the bottom but luckily it's below the actual text area.

I've used a fair amount of effects and plugins over the years but nothing has every jumped out as me as a tool for creative possibilities like this one, can't wait to get stuck into it.
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1729 View Post
I would really like to fix my h3000, but I don't want to part with it to send to Eventide. I used it a lot and don't want to work without it.

I just have some noise (like bitcrushing or crunching sound) on the effects that use a filter like 'band delay.' I can't hear it on any other algorithms. Is there something special about the filter algorithms? Do they use a certain PEL that other algorithms don't? I just don't understand why the noise would only be present when the filter is used.
Nope I don't think so, a bad PEL and you're unit would be out...down and out, might be a resistor, half gone, minor glitch in the O.S or Rom/Ram orientated as if it was parts TSM/PEL your unit would be black screen!

Reset the O.S after saving the Patch, that should sought you out, hold 5 on power up and choose rest O.S.

Let us know how you go!
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Nope I don't think so, a bad PEL and you're unit would be out...down and out, might be a resistor, half gone, minor glitch in the O.S or Rom/Ram orientated as if it was parts TSM/PEL your unit would be black screen!

Reset the O.S after saving the Patch, that should sought you out, hold 5 on power up and choose rest O.S.

Let us know how you go!
If I reset the OS by holding the Function key and resetting, the noise is still there. I tried holding down 5 and it took me to a menu that said 'factory functions' which had a buttton called 'virgin' but I'm guessing that would erase all of my presets too.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1729 View Post

Diagnosing the problem is most of the battle. Even the Eventide techs can't determine the issue unless they have the unit there.
Mine started off a bit noisy, though not on every preset, then gradually got worse over time till it was unusable.
Eventide fixed mine in under two weeks, so I wasn't too long without it.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think as you are from the UK, that Bendon Tech Services should be able to change the Factory PSU that came in your stock hardware H3000 for a solid 240/230 international Volts version PSU (I'd advise a 115/230 model for resale) just for a few hundred Quid, thus the noise and vibrations will disappear and possibly the heat as well. No harm in checking them out!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Regards
TLB
Hey, thanks for this, didnt get an email. I shall have a look into it.

Cheers, Ben
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Diagnosing the problem is most of the battle. Even the Eventide techs can't determine the issue unless they have the unit there.
Mine started off a bit noisy, though not on every preset, then gradually got worse over time till it was unusable.
Eventide fixed mine in under two weeks, so I wasn't too long without it.
Well...........The Super Tech Diagnosed and Fixed the H3000 is serious record breaking time, he is that good! So great knowing small trouble resistors and PSU troubles can be sorted! Brightside, Ill send you and email - though now....I've got 4 Eventides, Guess you can never have enough! Lol......!

Regards
TheLastByte
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1729

If this is just on the 1 Algo and does NOT APPEAR in /or the Majority or other Algo's I'd taken as read it's either a software issue, and/or a program you're not used to using. As if this were a Hardware issue.....you'd be feeling it in all Algo's from Input to Output and on all Sound. Sounds like either operator error, or not understanding the unit, you might need a RTFM boost to put it bluntly - no offence intended! So let us know how you get along!

Cheers
TLB
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

I'm getting ready to join the cult, but first, a question. Which unit has the most presets? I've seen some with a max of 774, are there more than that?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search