The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Maniac

A fully serviced one may deserve a little extra. It is a little bit expensive but not outrageously so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
I know there is a different forum this should go in but I have found to like and trust the opinions of people in this forum the most.

There is an Eventide H3000B that has the D/SE upgrade kit and has been fully serviced and is in great condition. The guy told me that he wants $1350 for it and won't bend on the price. Is this to much?
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Is the Eclipse just as good if not a little better? Or do they sound totally different?
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

the Eclipse benefits from a massive increase in computational power vs 20 yrs ago.

and they are both Eventides, that share some algos. so they may sound alike in many ways.

BUT

this is music - not a car race.
it's about subjective sound character, not so much about what's quantifiable by science
I prefer the 'roomier' UI of the 3000 d/se , fwiw, over number-crunching muscle of the Eclipse, but that's me.
I have a bias in that I grew up wanting an H3000 for years...at least since whenever Alien Water Kiss came out.
Old 23rd May 2011
Lives for gear

I have had both a 3000 DS/X and the Eclipse. Both sound fantastic. I am going to pick up another 3000 in the near future just for the ease of use. I like the larger screen and larger job wheel on the 3000.

The 3000 is also a bit cheaper so unless you need all of the digital i/o and more processing power (I do not) the 3000 will serve you well.

Greg
Old 23rd May 2011
Gear Addict

Fantastic Machine!
Old 20th July 2011
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000-eve.jpg

Joined the club with H3500 DFX. Special thanks to SP2016 (Richard), RobJB06 and ChristianRock. Without them, none of this would be possible. All i can say is: Damn!!!! Why didn't i got this thing earlier! Totally sick. I want another one!

Some of the Broadcast edition patches are hilarious! Program 357 TRAFFIC REPORT - This sounds like a person sitting in a traffic helicopter. Also generates the CB voice sound: (speed) controls the chopper rotor speed, (nearness) controls the voice/chopper noise. heh Program 300 AIRPORT PAGE (program simulates a large paging system) = instant effect from about every movie i can think of where someone is called on a paging system ("Dr. Brown, room 504"...). I also like the STUTTER effect on the Broadcast edition - top class.

Interesting, i have noticed that not many ppl discuss the model 3500. This gave me idea to add it to eBay auto searches, and BAM! You bet! There it was! Unnoticed, for cheap, way way cheaper than the Kitchen Sink models. Funny thing, given it contains more programs than the Kitchen Sink model. 3500 B-DFX is the ultimate model of all the 3000 series and includes all the D/SE programs, plus additional DFX programs + additional Broadcast edition programs. I got the update separately, since the unit was early 3500 DFX.

There was some confusion on the web about different models (due to non linear numbering of programs) and i wasn't sure neither which one to buy, so i've built a graphical list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...US&output=html
Attached Thumbnails
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000-eve.jpg  
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

Great post! Who would have thunk?
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

Hey that's great..the H3500 is a lot rarer than the multitudes of H3000's I guess that's why its not mentioned so much..although one was on UK ebay the other day...but I'm curious to why it "wouldn't have been possible" without 3 forum members helping you?
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

Here's an Excel sheet with the presets, etc, that I made... it may be useful.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...anual-pdf.html
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

It´s my understanding that you can upgrade any H3000 to D/SE status by changing the eproms.

True ?

What does the "Kitchen Sink" model mean ? Is that the common name for an upgraded 3000 to D/SE status ?

WT
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

Biggator, I couldn´t unzip that file. Could you perhaps upload it here as an XLSX file ?

WT
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

Happy to help dude, enjoy it!
(D/SE and Eclipse here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm View Post
It´s my understanding that you can upgrade any H3000 to D/SE status by changing the eproms.

True ?

What does the "Kitchen Sink" model mean ? Is that the common name for an upgraded 3000 to D/SE status ?

WT
Yes but depending on the model you have to do some re-jumpering/trace cutting due to differing Eprom reading arrangments.
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

Because of different memory size of eproms ?

WT
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

yup

Quote:
Because of different memory size of eproms ?

WT
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

Cool ! Where can one find the BINS and the info ?

WT
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Sending a PM

Quote:
Cool ! Where can one find the BINS and the info ?

WT
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

They still sell them! heh H3000 Upgs
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

so why are h3000's worth one thousand and an old AMS dmx delay worth 3k + ??? Does the AMS sound that much better?
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
so why are h3000's worth one thousand and an old AMS dmx delay worth 3k + ??? Does the AMS sound that much better?
No, the price has only to do with rarity...
Old 21st July 2011
Quote:
What does the "Kitchen Sink" model mean ?
"Kitchen Sink" - when i compare original (documented by Eventide) and the current ones being sold i'm no longer sure. But AFAIK it has to do with old models being upgraded to D/SE, then adding Broadcast presets and the machine controller and machines library. In early models one could install a capstan motor control board for timesqueeze operations.
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:

Joined the club with H3500 B-DFX
You better post a Youtube demo putting your JP8 through this

Quote:
3500 B-DFX is the ultimate model of all the 3000 series and includes all the D/SE programs, plus additional DFX programs + additional Broadcast edition programs.
So it's a matter of memory space for presets, not a CPU power difference?
Old 21st July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
So it's a matter of memory space for presets, not a CPU power difference?
And the hardware:
  • upgrade to B version aka BROADCAST requires machine controller and machines library / capstan motor control board.
  • upgrade to 3500 version requires additional sampling board in the unit.
Each upgrade requires some work on the PCB jumpers, new eproms, and in the case of sampling board, a lot of modification on the existing PCB boards. IMO, much cheaper is to simply buy the existing unit.

Quote:
You better post a Youtube demo putting your JP8 through this
Yesterday i played some G.W.B. thru broadcast programs. It was hilarious. That's the kind of source you want for some of those wicked programs on H3000 much more than a synth. The funny part was - when pitched down, he sounded like Obama. I know it sounds crazy but... that's Eventide. I need to re-do this today, cause ppl won't believe until they hear.
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
They still sell them! heh H3000 Upgs
Ah ok !

Well, I wouldn´t say no to 695 USD for sending out a couple of Eproms.

WT
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Well.. they are quite different, the AMS is a fab sounding delay, really sounds incredible, thick and vibey. The H3000 is great too of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
And the hardware:
  • upgrade to B version aka BROADCAST requires machine controller and machines library / capstan motor control board.
Wait a sec - so you have a tape echo of sorts in there? Or what does that motor control board do?

Quote:
The funny part was - when pitched down, he sounded like Obama.
heh
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
when pitched down, he sounded like Obama.
With a little bit of formant tweaking, it will sound like Merkel, too.
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Congratulations it is a fine machine!
Old 21st July 2011
Quote:
Wait a sec - so you have a tape echo of sorts in there? Or what does that motor control board do?
For external tape machine control. Timesqueeze option allows you to hook-up the H3000B to a frequency controllable, variable speed tape machine for time compression and expansion.
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

I bought my H3000 D/SE two years a go for 800 USD and I just love it. I have tried later models but I love the 3k more... I feel that the H4000 and above sounds to clean. *but that's just my opinion*

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search