The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
"Dual Function" 12 Bit AMS RMX-16/1580 DDL System holding both RMX & 1580 Delay Cards making them dual function units!
Say what ?

You´re dreaming.....

WT
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm View Post
Say what ?

You´re dreaming.....

WT
No.....I wish.....I could go back in time and grab some units actually!

Yeah.....I was on the floor as well, apparently the 1st RMX-16 could use 1580 Digital Delay cards for Ram storage and drum replacement, while just changing systems, say from Reverb mode to Delay mode! It's actually on the AMS website and in an early manual......all cards could be used!
Who would of thunk they would break them up solid into TWO 16 bit units!
Would you like a copy of the manual!

TLB
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
[B]

So H3000/BF (BlackFace or Blue Face Model) and H3000 SE (Second Edition) H3000/KS or Kitchen Sink Model. Early H3000B (Broadcast) and DFX/S (Dynamic Effects with Sampling or Expanded)

1998-2002 saw later H3000 Units (And vastly reduced in Price to $2,900 or 3,500.00) such as the H3000 D/SE (Dynamic Series Enhanced) & D/SX (Dynamic Series Expanded)
TLB
Ok...

let me clarify names and plates as this would confuse a lot of people out there.

-The original H3000 was the black face plastic panel w/yellow keys.
-The H3000S (with the blue face plastic panel) was shortly named for H3000Studio... the one Steve Vai used.
-The H3000SE (with the grey face plastic panel) was shortly named for H3000Studio Enhanced and had more algorithms and presets than the H3000S.
-The H3000 Kitchen Sink was never a specially paneled unit; just a short run of a few Black Face w/yellow keys, like the original H3000... including all software from all models.
-The H3000B has the same black face plastic cover of the original H3000 and "B" stands for Broadcast... tons of presets for radio/tv/movie special fx.

In 1998 Eventide revamped the successful line of the H3000 by:
-reducing prices
-removing those horrible plastic panels (IMO) that would break or detach (heat) and leave a metal panel with some creative drawings (more or less)
-adding 2 new spectacular modular open algorithms, Mod Factory I & II and 100 new presets made w/them, created by the same people that were to completely open the next platform w/VSIGFILE...the DSP4000, evolved to the current H8000...which should be called DSP9000 and not "H"... so wrong!!! They thought adding an "H" would make the product look like the mighty descendant of the H3000 and probably sell a lot.... really dumb choice.
-adding the H3500 to the line, which includes ALL algorithms/presets/hardware options (sampler boards)... simply a special edition "get it all" super H3000.
-The H3000S evolved into the H3000D/SX, that is DYNAMIC/STUDIO EXPANDED and it became the first H3000 to list below 2000 $ (1999 $!).
-The H3000SE evolved into the H3000D/SE, that is DYNAMIC/STUDIO ENHANCED.
The "DYNAMIC" label is there because the MOD FACTORY algorithms introduced realtime dynamic control of many parameters... so you could control level, modulation rate, panning rate and more thru your input signal level... a great enhancement in more unpredictable effects.
In addition to these additions, many new presets were added, created by many artists, engineers, gear manufacturers, etc.... taking the library close to 1000... another Eventide record...always offering the highest number of presets across all its rack products than any other product on the market.
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
Ok...

let me clarify names and plates as this would confuse a lot of people out there.
Thanks Italo, I knew you clean up the post, apologies for the incorrect naming!
TLB.
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Italo, I knew you clean up the post, apologies for the incorrect naming!
TLB.
You know...just very confusing choices for just a very simple concept...
there are 2 Eventides:
The H3000 and the DSP4000
Everything else is an evolution stream of the first or the second one!
How simple is that!
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok...

-The H3000B has the same black face plastic cover of the original H3000.
Italo, was there any reason they kept this Plastic thing on the DSP4000's because as soon as you rack them, split, crack, crumble goes the edges of the racking slowly eating into the front facia! That has always hacked me off....Resale Price went....
Right

D
o
w
n
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Italo, was there any reason they kept this Plastic thing on the DSP4000's because as soon as you rack them, split, crack, crumble goes the edges of the racking slowly eating into the front facia! That has always hacked me off....Resale Price went....
Right

D
o
w
n
Probably cheaper than working out some pleasant aesthetics on metal?
One chassis fits all products...just change the cover (cheaper)?
Maybe a "marketing" continuity from the H3000?
Thanks god ORVILLE came by...and so the 8000 and 7600!!!
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know...just very confusing choices for just a very simple concept...
there are 2 Eventides:
The H3000 and the DSP4000
Everything else is an evolution stream of the first or the second one!
How simple is that!
Obviously it flow on from there, I suppose it's also the dedicated H3000 for every single purpose w/ different algo's that catches people!

Erm.....That makes the Eclipse a Bastard Child for touring I guess, DSP3000?
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Obviously it flow on from there, I suppose it's also the dedicated H3000 for every single purpose w/ different algo's that catches people!

Erm.....That makes the Eclipse a Bastard Child for touring I guess, DSP3000?
More of a different variation on the DSP theme.
Probably some kind of DSP6000... in a closed architecture.
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Probably cheaper than working out some pleasant aesthetics on metal?
One chassis fits all products...just change the cover (cheaper)?
Maybe a "marketing" continuity from the H3000?
Thanks god ORVILLE came by...and so the 8000 and 7600!!!
I thought that as well......though on the DSP4000 there is a steel plate underneath, maybe they didn't want to laser up the CNC machine?
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
No.....I wish.....I could go back in time and grab some units actually!

Yeah.....I was on the floor as well, apparently the 1st RMX-16 could use 1580 Digital Delay cards for Ram storage and drum replacement, while just changing systems, say from Reverb mode to Delay mode! It's actually on the AMS website and in an early manual......all cards could be used!
Who would of thunk they would break them up solid into TWO 16 bit units!
Would you like a copy of the manual!

TLB
Yep !

PM:ing you my email adress.

Wt
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep !

PM:ing you my email adress.

Wt
No problem - will check & send if 1.xx etc.

TLB.
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hi TLB, WT .. while discussing AMS units and manuals does anyone have the DMX service manual or schematics?
Cheers
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a pcm70 and love it! I have the 3.01 and 2.0 versions. Getting back to the Eventides, I really liked the sound of the 3500 D/FX sampling, however I will search for a new one. I am looking at another H3000, but I can't seem to find one in decent shape. It seems that all the ones I am looking at had the eproms pulled out....ugh

Sent from my SCH-I545
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Hi TLB, WT .. while discussing AMS units and manuals does anyone have the DMX service manual or schematics?
Cheers
Sorry, none.....but I know who I´m going to ask.

Wt
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Cheers
Sure Rob,
let me look into the filing cabinet & HDD Drives and see what is where. Can you PM me with an Email.
Cheers
Jeremy
TLB.
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure Rob,
let me look into the filing cabinet & HDD Drives and see what is where. Can you PM me with an Email.
Cheers
Jeremy
TLB.
Thanks Jeremy, sending you a PM

Quote:
Sorry, none.....but I know who I´m going to ask.

Wt
Cheers WT, if you find anything send me a PM! Thanks
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

No problem,
Will check!

Oh.......Just for the Record, I did always say their was a Dual AMS RMX-16/1580R
Reverb/Delay! Who would of Thunk it....Worse, where the heck did they all end up?
Man to have one today would be heaven sent!
A Real Prize in the FX Rack.

TLB
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitfiddle View Post
Getting back to the Eventides, I really liked the sound of the 3500 D/FX sampling, however I will search for a new one.
About getting a new one, I wouldn't get too hung up on this. David Kulka has seen a lot of gear. On the H3000 reliability issue he says "It's amazing how reliable this model is, compared to the ones that preceded it." More info here. Eventide H3000B freezes upon bootup Notice also that you don't see a huge amount of H3000 repair threads given the large number of units sold. So if you are paying more than $25-50 for a newer model you are probably overpaying. If you plan to keep it for a short time, the chance of failure is very small so why obsess about the year and pay a lot more. If you plan to keep it for a very long time, eventually a service issue will occur no matter the year. In between it's more of crap shoot but paying a big percentage premium to avoid a problem that you probably won't have in a fairly reliable piece of gear makes about as much sense as buying the rip-off extended warranties on a car. You will get more mileage out of finding out how many presets/algorithms are available. This is a bigger factor to worry about.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

What he said.

WT
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Hello all

First post, long time lurker!

Need to pick up an H3000 for home use. Always found them so easy to turn lifeless dull sounds into instantly inspiring track starters. Not so many seem to come up in the UK at the mo.
There is a basic H3000 (black face yellow buttons) which I assume is the first model. The guy says he will take £750.00 which does seem a touch steep. Was going to get the updated EPROMS if I do go for it... Just wondered whether I should take the plunge or hold on a little longer? It's gonna be a month or so before I can get setup anyways..

Hmm thanks for any advice! Looking forward to being a member of the cult.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euanwhosearmy View Post
Hello all

First post, long time lurker!

Need to pick up an H3000 for home use. Always found them so easy to turn lifeless dull sounds into instantly inspiring track starters. Not so many seem to come up in the UK at the mo.
There is a basic H3000 (black face yellow buttons) which I assume is the first model. The guy says he will take £750.00 which does seem a touch steep. Was going to get the updated EPROMS if I do go for it... Just wondered whether I should take the plunge or hold on a little longer? It's gonna be a month or so before I can get setup anyways..

Hmm thanks for any advice! Looking forward to being a member of the cult.
Definitely wait!

'cuz that one:
-is too expensive
-is too old
-requires some tracks cutting and soldering to upgrade to D/SE
-too risky
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Definitely wait!

'cuz that one:
-is too expensive
-is too old
-requires some tracks cutting and soldering to upgrade to D/SE
-too risky
Yeah as I feared.. I'll hold off. If anyone knows of one..!

cheers!
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Guru

I love Eventide fx but I wish it would be easier to do editing. I really hope with the release of the H9 pedal system with its iPad/computer Control app there's something on the horizon in the same vein for a rack unit. H9000 maybe?
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

The one thing (other than possible transformer hum) on the older units is the buttons under the display. If those are bad/flaky (i.e. - you need multiple presses to get them to respond), you're going to be in a bad way.

They happen to be the same buttons (actuator and button cap) that the Oberheim Xpander used and once they start wearing out, you can slightly prolong their life by disassembling them completely and cleaning the parts inside the buttons, but that's pretty much a temporary fix.

Unfortunately, no one makes replacements. The form factor (size + pin arrangement) is not being made and in my years of looking (when I had both a Matrix 12 and H3000's) I never found a replacement.

So if anyone has a lead on those buttons, they would help the H3000 community by sharing that info. Alternately, you *might* be able to fit a more modern button in there, but it will be smaller and the fit won't look as nice as the original.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear
Are they not the same buttons as used on the clavia nordlead?
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance View Post
Are they not the same buttons as used on the clavia nordlead?
You're thinking of the newer Hxxxx gear. The originals had large yellow or red square buttons. I actually purchased spares from Eventide years ago to fix an Xpander with a broken red button.
Old 12th November 2013
Here for the gear

After over 20 years - I did it.

G'day from Australia

After what is over like 20 years, I've finally taken the plunge and scored a H3000 D/SE. After much research/other rack gear over the years and a love for *that* sound, I've given myself an early Christmas present.

Thanks for all the great info from you guys on this board and links from it. It's helped a lot on what was a considered purchase (plus shipping o/seas).

Questions if I may, I trust I've got most of this right by first digging round here so it is more of a confirmation (hopefully).

I have 2 rigs:
1. 1959SLP w/1960ax (White 1997 Ltd Ed). If I use an attenuator / dummy load then is it preferred to go Load out>H3000>Stereo Power Amp > 2 cabs (probably 1x12s). OR could you just go powered cabinets from the H3000? Also if I do go the rack Power amp, would I be right in a SS amp to not further colour the tone?

2. A SLO50 clone. Has a +4db loop plus a slave out as per the SLO100s. Whilst it will work in the loop (just not stereo I believe), is the preferred option again (for w/d/w) is the slave out then into a stereo power amp / 2 cab set up as described above? keeping the dry signal in the main SLO cab)

My objective is to get to the full w/d/w set up, and happy to take my time and do it right. Although whilst I get all the right pieces into place, I think the SLO50 loop will work OK, albeit mono for the interim? Yes?

Do I really need special 1/4" to XLR adapters - I've had conflicting input - is there a link to the right type?

Also I'll need to switch the power to 230V (I'm in Australia) and change the fuse I presume.

Many thanks again - I really can't wait.. most appreciative of all the info you have shared.

Cheers
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I love Eventide fx but I wish it would be easier to do editing. I really hope with the release of the H9 pedal system with its iPad/computer Control app there's something on the horizon in the same vein for a rack unit. H9000 maybe?

I totally agree with this whole heartedly. I also wish there was a H3000 software editor for Mac because it isn't the easiest to edit being how deep it is. I think the H3000 sorely needs it. There is so much power in there yet it's hard (time consuming) to get to. I would gladly pay for a software editor if someone made one. I'm actually quite surprised no one has ever thought about making one considering how popular the H3000 is. I would think it would be a big hit.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
I totally agree with this whole heartedly. I also wish there was a H3000 software editor for Mac because it isn't the easiest to edit being how deep it is. I think the H3000 sorely needs it. There is so much power in there yet it's hard (time consuming) to get to. I would gladly pay for a software editor if someone made one. I'm actually quite surprised no one has ever thought about making one considering how popular the H3000 is. I would think it would be a big hit.
Totally agree!

On another note, i've just noticed my unit is outputting one channel at a much lower volume than the other.

Is this a known issue?

I plan to take it in for a service but any info would be appreciated before hand.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search