The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland R8-M Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 8th June 2009

Roland R8-M

sorry to put this here in the wrong forum guys, but i've left my ad in
classifieds for a while now, keep bumping it, no one wants to commit
to this box so I thought I'd let you connoisseurs know that there's one on
offer here.

its pretty clear that we all like the sound of a hardware drum signal in our
mixes.

the Roland R8M is the expanded rack version of the classic drum machine.
the drum sounds are the clearest best recorded 16bit drums you'll hear. it
has a very clean, low noise, punchy sound and excellent outputs (8 outs)
this thing is perfect for classic techno sounding rides and hats and will
produce some great electro kicks and snares after a little processing. you
can edit the sounds quite a bit: the easy to use menu editing system will
allow you to get very creative very quickly.

I can't tell you how great this thing is. unfortunately i have no room for
this gem in my studio as i'm downsizing and I'm on a super tight budget. I
have not got a spare unit in my rack or a spare input in my patch bay!
something's gotta give. the unit itself is in great shape, screen's bright -
good contrast, no missing pixels and i have the original manual. also
included are 2 rom cards: 'mallet' and 'dry'

i would prefer an offer from the UK but i will ship worldwide if the price is
right. PM me if you're interested. All offers considered.

Old 11th June 2009

cheeky bump
i wont keep bumping this. 1 time only just to give it another go here
Old 18th June 2009
Gear addict

nice unit, do you have the tecno card?
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

definitely a great unit, had this and the R-8 itself for quite a while. found this to actually be more useful than the R-8 when it came to using the expansion cards (this can hold three cards at once as well as a RAM card). was very happy with the 808/909 sounds from the 'Electronic' and 'Dance' cards, though they didn't include the 909 ride or crash cymbals.
Old 18th June 2009

no sorry only the 2 rom cards: 'mallet' and 'dry'.

both excellent cards.

if you want techno it has a few classic techno drum sounds in its internal rom (great crashes, a very nice clap etc). like i say the hats/rides are awesome and well used for techno back in the day.

yea it's a great friggin unit. no-one wants it though!

funny, i sold my Linn Drum for £440. cant get £120 for this. which is like 1000 time better with midi and everything. just goes to show what suckers some people are when it comes to wooden side pannels.

maybe i should glue some wood on the side of it?
Old 18th June 2009
Am I right in thinking it's more of a sound module than a drum machine though?
If so, the Linn has a certain groove, the R8M..... no grooves.
Old 18th June 2009

1)yea it's a module no sequencer.

2)that's what able-logi-base is for. the swing function of the linn is ultra basic and easily replicated.

3)the R-8M on the other hand does have a more sophisticated and unique groove system than the linn, thanks to its velocity-groove feel and random-feel functions.
Old 19th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
the R-8M on the other hand does have a more sophisticated and unique groove system than the linn, thanks to its velocity-groove feel and random-feel functions.
In the sound only module?

(Honest questions. I once considered the R8 vs R8M and chose the R8 because I needed the drum sequencer more than drum sounds)
Old 19th June 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
In the sound only module?
yes. but i think we've got our definitions a bit muddled. i think your groove is my swing. if that makes sense.

anyway see here for what the R8-M can do. page 47 (PDF PAGE NUMBER NOT PRINTED PAGE NUMBER) tells you about the feel functions
R-8M.pdf
Old 19th June 2009
OK, there's a function that can change the tone of the samples, rather like a real drummer being slightly inconsistent.
However, both groove and swing only come about when something plays a pattern IMO (like a drummer or sequencer/drum machine).
Anyway, thanks. You've cleared up the cloudyness in my mind.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

I would consider taking it but as I already have the legendary 808 and 909 plus an EMU Pro/cussion; my drum needs seem lower. Also 220v mains would require a step-up transformer as Canada uses yank power.

True about the Linn, I also do not understand why anyone would pay £££ for that 8bit POS. the only good thing that it has is a sequencer and that 80s gunshot snare.
Old 19th June 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post

True about the Linn, I also do not understand why anyone would pay £££ for that 8bit POS. the only good thing that it has is a sequencer and that 80s gunshot snare.
actually i found the one thing i miss on it is the Toms and Congas, specifically the very nice lof-fi tuning effects when turning the tune pot in a sequence. though if it really bothers me i guess i could get a pretty good pitch bend wheel for £430 and still have £10 for a KFC and not have to worry about my pitch bend wheel constantly crashing because the thing has a fundamental design fault.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

I also have an R8M for sale - Australia only though. I do not mean to make a thread hijack, but instead I will contribute. I have the 2 cards that are known as "Dance" and "Electronic".

The Dance card is the one with the 909 sounds on it, plus some from other Roland units
and so on. These are all 8/18bit PCM samples and ostensibly the exact same ones found
in the 909. The samples I think are 8 bit but compressed to sound like 18bit.

In any case the Electronic card has the 808 kit on it, as well as the CR-78 and others.

I also have the famous "Ethnic" card, which has a full set of tabla, tai-ko and other ethnic drum
sets. I think there is also a gamelan set on there as well. The sound cards were recorded
by people over about 3 year period if I was told correctly and they were done as much
as research and history as a drum set for a drum machine!

They are all highly progammable sounds and you have quite a bit of editability and
tweakability in them. The kits all respond very well to MIDI.

What makes the R8M a kiiler drum box, is that although it does not have a sequencer
as such, to program your patterns in, it does in fact do MIDI sync, to allow the built
grooves and "human feel" characteristics to be deployed, programmed and synchronised
to MIDI clock. This gives the unit a much broader scope that most drum machines, full stop
and it is just a module. The R8M is very underrated piece of kit. Dare I say it is a very musical
drum box. I do not think anyone has ever got more out of it than the defaults. I used to
program mine with Sounddiver, which has an extensive interface to the R8M. In the end, I replaced it with the Novation Drumstation, since I found the user interface on the R8M too much to bear and I although I worked with it in Sounddiver, I was really only using certain patches.

One more cool thing about the R8M is that it has 4 slots. Stick your 3 favourite cards in
it and add one for RAM patches and you have a killer unit. Like I said, mine is
for sale in Australia though, with 5 cards

rachel
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

i finally did a search before i made a thread hehe.

I'm having issues with mine.. well rather maybe i'm too dense to figure it out.. but i just can't seem to get the cards working.. i always get a "card not ready" but when i insert it it reads fine... also i constantly have to switch the midi channel back to 1 whenever i change a patch..

hope someone can shed some light?

thanks!
Old 16th August 2010
Gear interested

Feel Patches - what other drum machines have this?

Hi,

I've been having a hard time finding other hardware drum machines (new OR vintage) that have a similar "feel patch" function like on the Roland R8. I think you can do this with Live, but I need to find a hardware machine that does this besides the R8.

thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
1)yea it's a module no sequencer.

2)that's what able-logi-base is for. the swing function of the linn is ultra basic and easily replicated.

3)the R-8M on the other hand does have a more sophisticated and unique groove system than the linn, thanks to its velocity-groove feel and random-feel functions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search