The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which drum machines do you own? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 22nd April 2009
Gear interested

Which drum machines do you own?

I have a Korg Electribe Mkii, and I just bought a Yamaha rx15 for 80$ on ebay

I am trying to find some really good drumming sounds. And a few months down the road I wouldn't mind putting some serious money in for a good drum machine
Old 22nd April 2009
Gear Head

Machinedrum is made of win, but you may want to wait until the LinndrumII comes out to see how it sounds. Looks interesting. Guess it depends on what sound you're going for. What do you mean by 'good drumming sounds'?
Old 22nd April 2009
I have never really gotten along with drum machines. I have owned a Roland TR-707 and an Alesis SR-16 which I eventually sold to buy other gear.

Today, I generally like to use samples from countless sources that include Vengeance drums and sampling from my Roland SPD-11 into my ASR-10r combined with drum sounds coming from my Roland JD-800 and Yamaha EX-5r, CS1-X and Korg Triton. Lately I have purchased a Yamaha RMX1 and a Roland SH-32, respectily those have lots of drum sounds too, so I'll see how they work out. A friend of mine owns a Korg ER-1 Mk-II and that little thing would be way cool to run through a distortion/fuzz/filter effects box.

IMO, nothing beats having an outboard sampler, a nice pre and some great drum samples. This way you can pick and choose samples to customize your own sets for your own needs. You also have the option to use filtered drum loops in the backround for a more detailed sound under your sequenced drums. Rather than relying on some limited drum machine that can sound the same after a while, with a sampler you can continue to make new sets, forever!!!
Old 22nd April 2009
Lives for gear

- Korg ER-1 which I love to bits. I run it through stuff like my Nord G2 or Electrix FilterFactory and get some nice results.

- Korg ES-1. I got it (plus $150) in exchange for an MS2000R (which I got for $120... heh!). It's a nice piece but I haven't really used it yet.

- Boss DR-770. Bought it because I was missing a typical sample based drum machine. It's actually quite useful. I also run it through my G2 and use it as master clock for the G2 and ER-1. That's my "live" setup right there.

- Akai MPC-500. I just bought this a few days ago and I'm really liking it. I just loaded it with a ton of drum samples I found here: Index of /mess/200.Drum.Machines

I'd like to buy some analog machine, like a Vermona DRM-1, but it'll have to wait. Maybe for xmas.

I have also previously owned: Zoom RhythmTrack 234 (my first piece of gear ever - I miss it), Zoom SampleTrack 224 (cool little sampler - I actually like it better than the ES-1), Yamaha SU-10 (too limited).
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Oh jeez...

Right now I have

Boss DR55
Boss DR110
TR 606
TR 707
UP5 drum brain

alexP
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear Guru

Sequential Circuits Tom

There can only be one!
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear addict

I've got:

- Roland TR-727
- Roland TR-808
- Roland TR-909
- Roland CR-78 (speaking of which, I just came across a wicked article about how to program a CR-78 with a Kenton box and a Korg Electribe. I haven't got the latter, but with a little tweaking I'm sure I can get it to work with my Kenton and the 727 or 909. Now all I need is to wire up some individual audio outputs)

I've had a Roland TR-707, but I sold it as I really didn't feel that I would use it considering what I've got. I'm somewhat interested in getting a Roland TR-606, but I'm far more interested in getting an Oberheim DMX and a Linn LinnDrum (someday).

Personally I love the timing of these older drum machines. I frequently compose a few patterns on the machines themselves, record them to my computer, and then build the rest of the track's instrumentation around that. If I've composed something on the PC, I'll often use a software drum machine or drum samples only as place holders, and break out one of the drum machines to take their place later on (with the exception of anything glitchy or drill/drum & bass mind you).

I'd recommend everything I've got, as their fantastic to use -- though the TR-727 is somewhat a nice machine, so it may not suit your styles.
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear addict

We currently have here:-

TR-606 - very unique sounding little box & battery portable. Like it a lot, but would like to get separate outputs fitted.

SDS-9 - analogue Simmons toms, cool midi spec, snare & rimshot on swappable eprom, weird/odd digital (software) kick & built like a tank.

Rack Attack - Great sounding & seriously powerful drum synth in a 2u rack. Comes up with crackpot sounds & noises when you hit randomize.

MachineDrum Mk1 (SPS-1) - Without a doubt, the best drum machine/groovebox I've ever used. Words can't describe how cool this machine is.

Fahrenheit (on Soundart Chameleon) - 808, 909 & 303 clone as a Chameleon Soundskin. Basically it's a bit like rebirth in a 1u rack without the sequencing. Very cool.

Got loads of other gear that's really useful for drum synthesis, but you could write an essay about it.

I'm tempted to comment on drum machines we use to have, but we're starving here & I'm cooking the food.
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear Head

TR-909
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

I once had a small army...

Alesis HR16
Alesis HR16B
Oberheim DMX
Roland TR606
Roland TR707
Roland TR727
Roland TR808
Roland TR909

But now have a special forces unit...
Akai MPC 2000xl connected to EMU-E4 Ultra

An 808 would be lovely to have again...
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear Addict

I don't have any dedicated drum machines. I find them to be rather fiddly, and I'd rather sample drums from my synths and load them into Battery. Soft synths are sample accurate, and I use that timing as a grid for my other tracks.

I have a K2000v3 and a K2000r that are positively sick for drums. Everything from the typical 808/909 to heavily processed linn, oberheim, and fairlight samples. I also programmed drums for my MicroQ and Pulse. I also have a broken Akai S-900 that took a bad spill on the way to me, and glitches out whatever I try to save in it.
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

mv-8000 at my house. mpc60 (w/3000 upgrade and all the options!!!) and an asr-x pro at the main studio. i use the asr as a module. i love how samples sound in the asr. i put a lot of drums in there. mpc60 sounds gr8 too. the mv-8000 is real clean and crisp. love the sound outa that thing also!
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

I have a good ol' Alesis SR-16

I have it piped into the monitor section in case someone needs a real click.
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

MD MK2 UW
Jomox Xbase 888

Strongly considering dumping the 888 and getting either an MPC2500/3000 or a TR808/909. I just really don't like the 888's UI at all
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsmm View Post
I once had a small army...

Alesis HR16
Alesis HR16B
Oberheim DMX
Roland TR606
Roland TR707
Roland TR727
Roland TR808
Roland TR909

But now have a special forces unit...
Akai MPC 2000xl connected to EMU-E4 Ultra

An 808 would be lovely to have again...

Oh its what we used to have????

TR 606
TR 808
TR 909
Kawai R50
Linn 9000
Roland CR78
Korg Minipops
Oberheim DMX
Roland R8
Visco Space Drums
Emu SP 12
Korg KPR77
Simmons SDS5
Yamaha RY30
Alesis HR16 (a and b)

alexP
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear Addict

Presently:

Vermona DRM1-Mk3
Roland TR-808 w/ Groove Electronics MIDI and pitch mods
Radikal Spectralis
JoMoX XBase 999

I miss the Machinedrum UW, which I sold to finance some rare analogue goodness. I'll get one again.
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear Guru

Roland R8
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear Maniac

Only one
Machinedrum

But with a little or alot of help from friends.
Monomachine-There is some drums on there, cool percussion can be done för sure.
Emu ultra mastered by the MD. Larger samples.
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Does an Octopus plus a Drumstation count?

Otherwise I have a Roland 606, a circuit bent 626 that I snapped on ebay, a dead 505
and a live 505. I've also got an Oberheim Drummer but I have rested that since I got
the Octopus.

I used to have a 707 but I swapped that for something and I should've kept it.
And early on I had a DR-110 which I sold when I got the 707 back in the 80's.

rachel
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear maniac

Roland TR707, TR808, TR909 and Korg ES-1 here.

Want a TR727, but they seem to be overpriced these days. I'm hoping the Linndrum2 is a killer! heh

They're all much more fun than mousing around. Add a synth and you've almost written a track in the time it takes to boot your DAW
Old 23rd April 2009
Gear Head

Current drum setup:
MPC 2500 for samples and sequencing
Vermona DRM MK3: Analog
Machinedrum UW MK2: Digital
Roland TR727: I don't know, I just love it.
Roland TR707:Looks good next to the 727.

Actually, I like the immediacy of the 727/707 boxes. If I just want to pound out a beat without tweaking the knobs they are great
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Akai MPC60
Linn LM-1
Simmons Digital Clap Trap

I'm thinking about selling the LM-1 though. I like it a lot, but it's a bit of an expensive luxury, and I only bought it because I'm a big Prince fan. Right now I need other things more.
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Actual Drum Machines
  • Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1UW Custom
  • E-mu XL-7 (XL, TSCY, VintagePro, and ProteanDrums ROMs)

Kinda Drum Machines - their own sounds, and seq others
  • Elektron Monomachine SFX-6
  • Clavia Nord Modular (G1 w/DSP expansion)

Drum Sound Sources - synthesis and samples
  • Korg OASYS PCI (w/Harm Visser collection)
  • JoMoX MBase01
  • Yamaha A5000
  • Roland S-760
  • E-mu E6400 Ultra
  • Simmons Clap Trap

cheers,
Ian

Last edited by aeonlux; 9th October 2009 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: more goodies!
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Oh its what we used to have????

TR 606
TR 808
TR 909
Kawai R50
Linn 9000
Roland CR78
Korg Minipops
Oberheim DMX
Roland R8
Visco Space Drums
Emu SP 12
Korg KPR77
Simmons SDS5
Yamaha RY30
Alesis HR16 (a and b)

alexP
LOL fun gadgets. I see you had the drum machine disease once. heh
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Currently own :

AKAI MPC 3000
LINN DRUM w/midi
OBERHEIM DMX
ROLAND TR-606 DRUMATIX
ROLAND TR-727 RHYTHM COMPOSER
ROLAND TR-808 RHYTHM COMPOSER
ROLAND TR-909 RHYTHM COMPOSER
Old 23rd April 2009
E-MU SP-12
A6 (analog drums w 8trk seq)
RS7000

other sources: im using lotta samples/libs in DAW, process in analog outboard n fx, bring back to ITB or RS. load in kontakt for midi, or often just place samples directly on grid in Nuendo arrange. also, i transfer samples sds to EMAX, to get lofi n filters.

future: im offered a nice 909, have to decide to plunk down the $$ or not. other option is acidlab Miami. really like how that thing sounds.. my needs have slightly drifted from hard 909ish stuff towards more soft/pure analog a la 808.. ugh, cant get both atm.. Vermona sounds very nice too.
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

am have:

TR-909
TR-808
TR-606
CR-78
R-70
R-8MkII
SCI Drumtraks
Linndrum LM-2
Oberheim Stretch DX
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsmm View Post
LOL fun gadgets. I see you had the drum machine disease once. heh
LOL I still bloody have it. I would love some more stuff but at the moment, I just cant swing it. Maybe I will treat myself to an 808 or something when my tax refund comes in.

alexP
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Currently:
Roland R8 mkII
Elektron Machinedrum
Boss DR-55 Dr Rhythm
Roland MC-303
Roland SP-808

Owned in the past:
Roland TR-909
Roland TR-808
Roland TR-707
Roland TR-606
Roland CR-5000
Roland CR-8000
Roland CR-78
Roland R-70
Linn Drum
Yamaha RX-21
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

TR 808
TR 909
Mc 303
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search