Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
  • Acetone FR-3
  • Acetone FR-6
  • Roland TR-77
  • Roland CR-78
  • E-mu SP-12 turbo
  • TR9090 - just 909 midi module

i really love the naive but warm and punchy analog tone of these early preset designs like Acetone/Roland/Keio. plan to add trig/midi to some of them (tubbutec unipulse). others on my radar: re909, 888. might get one of these. always wanted an 909, even if its a din sync replica i dont mind.

@ javd007 : wow, that's quite a collection. especially the ultra rare LM-1
Old 28th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
(Some of these are groove boxes that I use as drum machines, but w/e)

Roland TR-707 - Bought it new a long time ago. Don't really use it much these days, but back in the day I could make it sound pretty interesting by running the individual outputs into EQs and separate outboard effects.
Roland TR-8 - I wanted a hardware synth that emulated the 808 and 909. It does the job.
Roland TR-8S - Just bought the 8S and will probably sell the 8. Great drum machine.
Behringer RD-8 - It's more the realization of a dream than a necessity for me. I always wanted a true analog 808. It's fun to use for live remixing and beat creation, etc.
Electribe ER-1 - Not a ballsy drum machine by any measure, but fun for minimalist setups. Back in the day (late 90s) it was pretty much the only hardware drum synth on the market.
Electribe EMX - One of my favorite drum machines / groove boxes overall. Great sound presence. Probably the best kick sounds of any ROM based hardware drum / groove machine.
Electribe ESX - Ditto.
Yamaha RM1X - More of a sequencer than a drum machine, but I've coaxed some low-fi good stuff out of it over the years. Great art happens within limits.
Boss DR-202 - I bought this back in the late 90s before I got an MC-505 and still like it. It has just enough of everything (including a built in bass synth) to be fun and useful. Runs on batteries too.
Roland MC-505 - Fun for making 90s club style music. It's a bit dated, but that's the point. Built like a tank.
Electribe 2 - Love the sound and portability, kind of hate the interface.
Ensoniq ASR-X Pro - I use it mostly as a sampling drum machine, even though it does a lot more.
Roland MC909 - IMO Roland's best groove box/drum machine to date. I like it much better than the MC707 even though they're almost 20 years apart. This thing is a powerhouse.
Maschine Studio - Technically Maschine is a lot of things, but even as a drum machine it's in a class of its own because of the sound library, Drumsynth, and the quality and responsivity of the pads.
Roland TR-08 - Fun little drum machine for noodling around with live remixing setups before the RD-8 was available. No individual outs for different parts, but still fun to play with.
Roland TR-09 - Ditto.
Arturia DrumBrute - I had higher expectations for this drum machine, but it's still decent. Just don't expect it to be a 909. Sounds really good when sync'ed with something ballsy like the EMX or MC909.
E-Mu XL7 w/MP7 ROM added - Surprisingly good as a drum machine, though it does lots of other things. I love the bank of knobs. Very playable and tweakable. E-Mu was onto something and then they were bought up and shut down.
Yamaha AN200 - I bought this as a synth because I always wanted the AN-1X, but ended up liking it more for the drum sounds. They sound REALLY good.
Yamaha DX200 - Ditto. Surprisingly powerful FM synth, but not a lot of fun to program even with the software. It's great as a drum machine with FM to add digital sounding bass or bleep/blop sound effects. It really shines when MIDI'd with other groove boxes.
Yamaha RS-7000 - Probably my favorite hardware unit for making rhythm tracks, though Maschine, EMX, and MC909 are a close tie for second. The RS has its flaws (poor SCSI implementation and hard to find Smart Media memory cards) but the internal drum sounds and master effects are great for inventive live remixing.
Old 29th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritsGroove ➡️
I have these at the moment but the first 2 are about to get put up for sale:

Sequential Drumtraks
Roland Tr-77
Vermont DRM (OG from the 80s)

I'm thinking of getting a 707 and doing the mod that gives it the 8 additional sound banks. Anybody here have one of those?
This is mine:

Super happy with this.
Old 29th October 2020
Lives for gear

Nord Drum
Ambika (it even has seperate outs ^^)
Drumbrute
Model: cycles
DFAM
Euro - drumdokta, SSF bass, BIA, LIP, blck noir, Erica Synths sample drum

I've sold monos and polys but these are sticking around!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy ➡️
This is mine:

Super happy with this.

If I manage to score a 707 for a decent price (shouldn't have sold mine last year ) I'm definitely jumping on this. Mainly doing a mix of 80's boogie funk and "indie" type stuff in the toro y moi, tame impala vein these days so I think this would be really strong for that. Bang out or just play a simple pattern to jam too and then process/layer them in the daw later.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
  • Acetone FR-3
  • Acetone FR-6
  • Roland TR-77
  • Roland CR-78
  • E-mu SP-12 turbo
  • TR9090 - just 909 midi module
i really love the naive but warm and punchy analog tone of these early preset designs like Acetone/Roland/Keio. plan to add trig/midi to some of them (tubbutec unipulse).
Nice collection! I love those old analog preset drum machines too, they are actually very versatile and can fit in any kind of productions. I slowly collect them..
One of my favourite is the unknown Roland TR700, a real gem!! I plan to do some DIY work on it and remove the speakers and add some midi retrofit (probably Tubbutec)
Old 20th November 2020
Here for the gear
I don't own a dedicated drum "machine", unless you count my Korg Triton EX or Ensoniq SQ-80 - both have nice drum sounds and built-in sequencers, but hardly what you'd call a drum machine. I never went for them, but electronic drums have always been my thing since I first heard Devo and owned a Synare back in the 70's / 80's.

I now own:

Simmons SDS-1000
Dynacord P-20 (2 of them, one works, one doesn't and I'll likely sell it)
Dynacord ADD-Two
Pearl SC-40
Yamaha DTX-522k

Outside of the Yamaha, I don't have pads to really trigger these, which pisses me off. I've been on the hunt for years, but either lose them or get priced out. I'm not really into getting gouged, $500+ for crappy cracked / broken Simmons pads simply because the name.
Old 21st November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My only real drum machine right now that isn’t also a sampler/Groovebox is:
-Korg Volca Drum

If I count samplers and Grooveboxes:
-Native Instruments Maschine+
-Akai MPC Live II
-Roland MC-101

I used to have:
-Korg Volca Beats
-Korg Volca Sample
-Korg Electribe ES-1
-Korg Electribe ESX-1
-Korg Electribe 2
-Roland JD-Xi
-Roland TR-8S
-Akai Rhythm Wolf
Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Opera Rotas:

Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Hi,

I love drum machines

I have some Electribes (Er1, EMX1, Electribe 2...), the Elektron Digitone (which can really act as a Drum Machine ), the Vermona Perfourmer which I often use as an analog drum machine and 3 real analog drum machines too (Drumbrute Impact, ADX1 and Tänzbar):

All the best,
GilJ.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy ➡️
This is mine:

Super happy with this.
Aww, that was my first! Got it used in 1987 for $400.

Loved it.

Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

Somebody with Machinedrum and Analog RYTM? I'm considering getting both to complement my Pulsar 23.
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guigui ➡️
Somebody with Machinedrum and Analog RYTM? I'm considering getting both to complement my Pulsar 23.
Mmmn. Pulsar, lovely. Although I have never used one, I have the MD and AR MKII my guess would be the MD would compliment the Pulsar better. But they are each quite different, like you say...both
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vekter303 ➡️
Mmmn. Pulsar, lovely. Although I have never used one, I have the MD and AR MKII my guess would be the MD would compliment the Pulsar better. But they are each quite different, like you say...both
Exactly!

I'm thinking like: Pulsar 23 is very experimental, MD as well, but with another soul, and AR is more traditional(-ish). I'd cover a lot of ground with them, maybe all the ground I want to cover.
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Head

Elektron Digitakt (my main drum machine)
Elektron Digitone (technically a sequencing FM synth, but sounds fantastic for drums too)
Novation Circuit (currently on loan to a relative, but not really missing it much)
Novation Circuit Mono (technically a sequencing analog synth, but also sounds great for glitchy analog drums)

Sold an MPC Live a while ago. Incredibly powerful, but I was getting lazy and overly dependent on loops, plus the whole menu-diving daw-in-a-box thing was overkill for me.
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the MPC Live II, and a DR 880.
What I wish I had was a remake of the Roland R8 with more memory, etc. - but with the same ergonomics!
Old 3rd January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
currently:

Roland TR909
Roland TR8s

before (since 2005)

-Roland TR6s
-Roland TR-8
-Roland TR707
-Roland R-8
-Elektron model samples
-Elektron machinedrum
-Jomox airbase 99
-Jomox xbase 999
-Jomox mbase 01
-Mfb tanzbar
-Mfb 522
-Moog DFAM
Old 3rd January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefabri ➡️
... I don't have pads to really trigger these, which pisses me off. I've been on the hunt for years, but either lose them or get priced out. I'm not really into getting gouged, $500+ for crappy cracked / broken Simmons pads simply because the name.
There’s plenty of ways to trigger these besides using pads, but feel free to keep letting them sit unused.
📝 Reply