The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which drum machines do you own?
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumblepig View Post
I can't even say how much I love the Drumtracks. I've had it for only a few days, and am flying away for two months without it, but when I get back, I'll plug it into my Boss BX-800 mixer for similar fun as shown in the vid.

I actually ended up in this thread while trying to find another Drumtracks-related thread where the "why don't you just use samples?" question had popped up. I got my DT for a decent/average price, but that's still a lot of cash for something I indeed had samples of. Soon as I got the real machine plugged in, the "why don't you..." faded quickly from the mind. The Drumtracks is a gorgeous instrument. Something to sit and play, like a guitar or piano etc. The samples of it I've used are fab and have brought real vibe to my tracks, but having the actual machine by my side has, dare I go a bit tweaky here, brought vibe to my actual life, innit!
Drumtracks is one of my favorite drum machines easily. I love the look of it too. Can't blame you one bit for owning one - I would do the same. Drum machines have become hardware weakness though, once I sorted out the workflow into my DAW.
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
TR-606
TR-707
TR-808
TR-909
R-70 (needs fixed, low output)

Need TR-727 and I’m done but not willing to pay the price - keep thinking of modding 707 to replace the rom sets, but it’s not that easy it appears
Updated list:
TR-606
TR-707
TR-727
TR-808
TR-909
R-70 (still needs fixed!)
Old 30th January 2020
Lives for gear

- E-MU SP-1200 (grey)(1987)
- Linn 9000
- Linn LM-1
- Linn Linndrum
- Oberheim DMX
- Roland TR 606
- Roland TR 707
- Roland TR 727
- Roland TR 808
- Roland TR 909
- SCI Drumtrax
- SCI Tom
Old 30th January 2020
Lives for gear

The Roland TR8
Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear
Still have my first ... and one I made a lot of money with, performing live (sequenced), the Sequential Circuits Drumtraks!
And also have a Roland R-8m.
Old 31st January 2020
Wow, everyone has a lot.
I have only Alesis SR-16, Yamaha RX-5 and Behringer RD-8.
After getting RD-8 I felt I am not going to buy any other drum machine, cause each one requires a lot of learning how to program. I thought RD-8 is a piece of cake to program, but actually not really...
Old 31st January 2020
I've had a few others in the past - the Alesis machines were favs.
But of alllll the gear I've owned, the only two things I've pretty much genuinely hated were a Godin guitar and a Korg DDM-110 drum machine! The hard plastic of that thing said so much about the rest of it! The TR-707 and DR-110 I currently have are both second editions for me. Missed 'em, regretted selling them etc. The DDM is one I'm glad to have never even seen since I let mine go! It's just funny to think about how much I disliked it! I was young and it was cheap enough yet seemed like a step up...
Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear
With the sequencer? None, but I still own an R8-M, Procussin and D-4.
Old 31st January 2020
Gear Nut
I presently own the following drum machines:

* Arturia DrumBrute
* Pioneer DJ Toraiz SP-16
* Roland AIRA TR-8S

I also have a Behringer RD-8 in transit, but might return it for an Arturia DrumBrute Impact.
Old 3rd February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
OK - this is gonna sound like bragging but it is a technique I have embraced as a multiple drum machine freak:

I got a second board so I could have one 16 channel for drums only. I use a A&H MWZ 16:2 for the individual outputs of several nice boxes that all have their own wonderful qualities. I run a Culture Vulture and an Alan Smart C-2 on the master bus and have a send to an Elysia nVelope. There is also a Drawmer DS-201 gate available. It would be nice to add some EQ but WTF? I am already in LaLa land with such an ostentatious setup.

Anyways... why this is good is because I can build a multilayered drum ensemble with a lot of diverse parts and tune it up just so with the faders and the boards EQ. I can then print a track that is a performance via changing patterns on the drum machines and using mutes on the board. It feels live and has a lot of vibe and character.

Considering that I already had all the other gear, the $500 investment for the board seemed like a good gamble to take considering the possibilities it offered. I have not been disappointed at all. Having a dedicated drum mixer that lets me use a lot of individual outs from an ensemble of nice sounding machines is a dream.

TL;DR - if you have a lot of drum machines, adding a dedicated mixer for individual outs works out super cool.
Kind of surprised nobody replied to this post. It’s so epic that my bank account app on my phone changed it’s own password so I cant log into it anymore.

Are you still using this mixer? One thing about having a harem of drum machines is the connectivity. I honestly am still figuring that out. I currently have 18 tracks of i/o from 2 interfaces and dedicate 10 for the drum machine. It’s not that expensive for another octatrack, so I’m thinking about adding 1 more interface via ADAT to get to 24 tracks.

Thats cool and all but regardless, I need to think about connectivity. For example my RZ1’s hats and clap are gold. I sampled them into my Analog RYTM, but pulling out the RZ1 just to program those parts would be really cool now and then. Especially since the feel of the RZ1 is special. Plus if Behringer ever releases their 909, I’d love to use that on some tracks as well. So I’d love to have a way to swap the machines in and out fairly quickly or have 2 synced up and playing at once.

My issue with a mixer is most of them break everything down into a 2 track stereo mix. I prefer to mix the multi tracks in my DAW. Especially since I tend to change arrangements a little until the very end of the project. I like having all those separate files. So maybe for me the mixer doesn’t make much sense. Maybe it would make more sense to have a patch bay connected instead so I can put a machine in front of me and make quick connections without any fuss.

Interested in how you all do this. Actually surprised connectivity is not mentioned more in this thread.

I won’t even get into the culture vulture right now because I’ll get really sidetracked and GASSY. So I’lll just leave it at connectivity for now and see what folks are doing.
Old 4th February 2020
Gear Head

lxr by sonic potions....
nord drum 1....
mpc 1000/2500 both with jjos...
elektron digitakt and the tone, cause that swedish digi machine has also quite big balls when it comes to drum sythesis...
elektron a4 same as the tone but in analog trruu bliss...
some of the best synth percussion sounds i've ever created came out of this swedisch thing...
and the octatrack, if that also counts as a drummachine...
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear

bought Roland HandSonic HPD-15
(the best one of HPD series, as for me, because of ribbon controls)
Old 12th February 2020
TR-8S. Maybe the best drum machine ever made. Features vs. sound vs. UI ease of use --> Excellent

I don't feel the need to get a second drum machine, except maybe for a simple to use sampler.
Old 12th February 2020
Here for the gear
Straight drum machines: Drumbrute Impact, Nord 3P, TR-08, 2x Volca Drum

Samplers/PCM: MPC Live, Blackbox, sp404a and sx, yamaha dtx Multi12, OP-Z
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear
I tracked down a Vermona Kick Lancet. Looking forward to sampling this beast.
Old 12th February 2020
Here for the gear

Akai Rhythm Wolf
Akai Tom Cat
Casio XW-PD1
Elekron Machinedrum
Elektron Analog RYTM
Elektron Octatrack
Roland R-8
Korg Volca Kick
Yamaha DD-5
Yamaha RX5
Old 26th April 2020
Gear Addict

I have a Sequential Circuits Tom with several sound cartridges made by both SCI and Drumware (as well as a company that is making Drumware clones of the eproms).

Korg Volca Beats
Korg Volca Sample (don't really use it)
Korg ES-1

E-Mu XL-7 (which has lots of drum kits on it...)

I'm should be getting in a Sismo Samba within the next week or so. It sounded interesting and the different sequencing choices on it really intrigued me.

I also recently picked up (again) a Mattel Synsonics. Really wish it was possible to sync it to other gear. (If only the bass drum had a trig output or input...) I know the set is cheesy, but it's fun sounding.

I've been thinking of getting a couple of Rackit Pads and an Electro-Harmonix Clockworks and creating a pseudo-drum machine from those + my Quadrantrid Swarm + Mutable Instruments Branches.
Old 26th April 2020
Lives for gear

Currently:

Roland TR-8
Roland Boutique TR-08
Elektron Digitakt
MFB Tanzbar Lite
Behringer RD-8
Korg Volca Beats + Kick

... and some Yamaha RX up in the loft that I don't use.
Old 26th April 2020
Lives for gear

How about the other side of the coin?
I have XYZ - great.
What i'd really like next is to add a 123?
Would make for an interesting discussion:

What do you think about XYZ + 123?

My answer:
I have all the classics I could ever want MPC3000 and 60, SP1200, TR-909, TR-808 and the things I always consider are harsh and edgy particularly a Machinedrum a Kawai R-100 and Yamaha DX-200.
Old 26th April 2020
I can't be bothered to search for my original reply, so I don't know if I'd yet picked up an SCI Drumtraks, but that's my latest drum machine and I utterly love it. Simple and good-sounding, with vibe and looks.

I keep meaning to sell my R8, but every time I dust it off in prep for posting on Reverb, I end up digging it all over again.
Old 26th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Drumtracks is one of my favorite drum machines easily. I love the look of it too. Can't blame you one bit for owning one.
I too absolutely adore my Drumtraks.
You can get far more out of it than you’d imagine, and it has so much character.
I run those claps through my Line 6 echo pro and can get lost.
Old 26th April 2020
Deleted d59bfd5
No drum machines left here currently.
Gimme something like a TR-8s with classic songe mode and I could be in the game again tho.

IF I want x0x programming for drum patterns I'm fine with my BSP for now.
Old 26th April 2020
Here for the gear

I’m both a drummer and a synth fanatic so..
DFAM
Octapad / Beatstep Pro
Midi Murf / Grey Noise
Pearl Drum Set
Old 26th April 2020
Lives for gear

Linn Lm-1
Linndrum
Linn 9000
Oberheim DMX
Roland Tr-909
Roland Tr-808 just sold
Roland Tr-8s just bought
Roland Tr-707
Old 26th April 2020
Lives for gear

lion king..

Old 27th April 2020
Gear Head

RD8
01/IV
XR20
MPC Live
OPZ
Some modular + dfam

I actually sold my TR8S but I do agree that it's a great drum machine and it was hard to let go of, just didn't need it with the others. So fast and immediate and sounded great.

Still havent tried Jomox, mfb, or Analog Rytm, but would love to give em a spin. Had a digitakt, which was another good one, but like the TR8S a bit Redundant for me, and no indi outs

Curious about Deton8 and LXR too
Old 27th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
lion king..
Enough for you ?
Attached Thumbnails
Which drum machines do you own?-0ef674e7-9944-423c-9468-0f649166d8ae.jpg   Which drum machines do you own?-164c2fc8-aa45-4f5a-aa45-05f5b082b9fa.jpg  
Old 27th April 2020
Lives for gear

? never hear from mattel lion king drummer ?
sry the post was not aimed at you ..
Old 27th April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
How about the other side of the coin?
I have XYZ - great.
What i'd really like next is to add a 123?
Would make for an interesting discussion:

What do you think about XYZ + 123?

My answer:
I have all the classics I could ever want MPC3000 and 60, SP1200, TR-909, TR-808 and the things I always consider are harsh and edgy particularly a Machinedrum a Kawai R-100 and Yamaha DX-200.
Cool idea... I feel like I don't have anything very modern; to complement my Tom (my primary drum machine), I think something like a more sophisticated analog or something with more samples like the Model: Samples would be the way to go. I do know I have been eyeing the Volca Drum also.
Old 27th April 2020
Lives for gear

i guess i haven't posted my list of drum machines in this thread (??).

all i have right now is the Roland TR-8S and NI Maschine, but here's a list of others that i've owned over the years:

Roland TR-707
Roland TR-626
Roland TR-505
Roland TR-08
Roland R-8
Roland R-8m module
(w/ 'Dance' and 'Electronic' cards along with a couple others)
Boss DR-110
Boss DR-550mkII
Sequential Drum-Traks
Oberheim DX
Casio RZ-1
Korg DDM-110 and DDM-220
Korg DDD-1
Korg MD-16 midi drum module
Elektron Machinedrum-UW MkII
(owned twice)
Mattel Synsonics

i guess these could be considered drum machines as well:
Zoom SampleTrak ST-224
Elektron Octatrack (owned twice)

i think that's all of them, might be forgetting a couple.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear